VAR

1732 posts
Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: VAR

by Simmops » 30 Dec 2019 07:48

I hate to tell the FA I told them so, but I told them so.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 30 Dec 2019 10:11

AthleticoSpizz Pukkis’ goal was ruled offside because of his hand being in an offside position...no?

Can this crap...just keep the goal line decisions

Armpit. Can't score with your arm.
My issue with the Pukki one is that he is offside because he is leaning more than the defender. His feet are actually clearly onside vs. that defender, but because Pukki has started to run harder, his upper body has moved marginally beyond his marker.
I find this ridiculous.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 30 Dec 2019 10:42

Had there been no VAR the oppo would not have complained about the goal if they'd seen the freeze frame. Therefore its a total VAR fail

Same with the Wolves one. I don't think they should use the computer generated lines for an offside. A simple eyeballing of the freeze frame by the VAR ref like we used to see on MotD/Sky highlights. If its not obviously offside by the naked eye, then the goal should stand. THAT should be the margin of error

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 30 Dec 2019 10:46

John Madejski's Wallet Had there been no VAR the oppo would not have complained about the goal if they'd seen the freeze frame. Therefore its a total VAR fail

Same with the Wolves one. I don't think they should use the computer generated lines for an offside. A simple eyeballing of the freeze frame by the VAR ref like we used to see on MotD/Sky highlights. If its not obviously offside by the naked eye, then the goal should stand. THAT should be the margin of error

I'd go with that. It's not feasible to know the exact point at which the ball is released from the foot, on the same basis we shouldn't then be measuring nose hairs to determine offside.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 30 Dec 2019 11:34

Anybody know how VAR is going down in all the other major leagues?

My Turkish paper shop mate says that in Turkey the problem has been that the ref doesn't call on VAR if he doesn't want to.
As a Galatasaray fan he thinks that refs have it in for them (he is one of us, a typical football fan!!) whereas Fernebache get everything, including refs always looking at VAR if it might be in the best interests of Fernebache(!!)
Incidentally they ran VAR last season as well so you would think that so-called problems would now be ironed out.

As VAR will be used in the Euro finals (?) I presume there has to be a European ,and subsequently global for WC 2022, consistency over what is and what isn't.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 30 Dec 2019 12:41

Fwiw I thought VAR worked just fine at the World Cup - but what I don't really understand is what different 'protocols' were followed there. I don't recall all these drawing lines on screens in Russia.

Some interesting* stats from Italy from its first full season of use, 18/19.

346 games
1,736 checks (5.1 per game)
105 decisions changed (1 every 3.3 games)
17 errors made (incorrect decisions retained, or correct decisions overturned)

6.05% error rate in 17/18, 0.98% error rate (those 17 errors) in 18/19.

And the bits I found really interesting...

8.8% fewer fouls
19.3% fewer protests
43.0% fewer simulations

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Dec 2019 12:54

Sanguine
AthleticoSpizz Pukkis’ goal was ruled offside because of his hand being in an offside position...no?

Can this crap...just keep the goal line decisions

Armpit. Can't score with your arm.
My issue with the Pukki one is that he is offside because he is leaning more than the defender. His feet are actually clearly onside vs. that defender, but because Pukki has started to run harder, his upper body has moved marginally beyond his marker.
I find this ridiculous.

Yeah, the whole lean thing is a bit daft.

And using a tool accurate to a significant number of centimeters to judge incidents by millimeters is stupid. What happened to benefit of the doubt to the attacker?

Until VAR is accurate to millitmeters it should be used for offsides in the same way it should be used for referring decisions. Overturning clearly incorrect decisions. Off by a foot? Overruled.

If you have to look at multiple angles in super slow mo, then it isn't a clear and obvious error.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 30 Dec 2019 12:57

Sanguine Fwiw I thought VAR worked just fine at the World Cup - but what I don't really understand is what different 'protocols' were followed there. I don't recall all these drawing lines on screens in Russia.

Some interesting* stats from Italy from its first full season of use, 18/19.

346 games
1,736 checks (5.1 per game)
105 decisions changed (1 every 3.3 games)
17 errors made (incorrect decisions retained, or correct decisions overturned)

6.05% error rate in 17/18, 0.98% error rate (those 17 errors) in 18/19.

And the bits I found really interesting...

8.8% fewer fouls
19.3% fewer protests
43.0% fewer simulations

Hadn't thought of the impact of VAR leading to those last 3 figures-interesting indeed so VAR may well prove to be good for the game as a whole and not just for verifying certain decisions.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 30 Dec 2019 14:41

Yeah, brilliant info that.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 30 Dec 2019 20:06

According to IFAB the VAR implementation in the PL has NOT followed the ruling body guidelines on ‘clear and obvious’.

Seems like the PL referees have taken their own initiative and are trying to make the technology do something that it can’t currently do.

NO SHIT SHERLOCK

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/lawmakers-to-issue-guidance-that-var-should-only-overrule-clear-and-obvious-offside-errors/ar-BBYsOBA?li=BBoPWjP

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Dec 2019 23:32

Franchise FC According to IFAB the VAR implementation in the PL has NOT followed the ruling body guidelines on ‘clear and obvious’.

Seems like the PL referees have taken their own initiative and are trying to make the technology do something that it can’t currently do.

NO SHIT SHERLOCK

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/lawmakers-to-issue-guidance-that-var-should-only-overrule-clear-and-obvious-offside-errors/ar-BBYsOBA?li=BBoPWjP

Or someone is trying to make it fail.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 31 Dec 2019 02:38

Snowflake Royal
Franchise FC According to IFAB the VAR implementation in the PL has NOT followed the ruling body guidelines on ‘clear and obvious’.

NO SHIT SHERLOCK

Which won't work because if everywhere else is implementing it correctly and it's doing the job it was designed to do, FIFA will just dismiss the EPL as a statistical anomaly and tell the FA to sort it's shit out, and the concept of FIFA telling anyone to sort their shit out is pretty fcuking ironic.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 31 Dec 2019 08:03

From Despair To Where?
Snowflake Royal

NO SHIT SHERLOCK

Which won't work because if everywhere else is implementing it correctly and it's doing the job it was designed to do, FIFA will just dismiss the EPL as a statistical anomaly and tell the FA to sort it's shit out, and the concept of FIFA telling anyone to sort their shit out is pretty fcuking ironic.

I did tell the EPL all of this and that the technology was limited but they simply wouldn't listen. Specifically said it is not designed for mm differences. They kept saying its fine, we can adapt, we are professionals etc etc. The technology we have is not advanced enough for what they are doing.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 31 Dec 2019 09:24

I though you were bound by some sort of non disclosure regarding the finer details of VAR?

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 31 Dec 2019 10:32

From Despair To Where? I though you were bound by some sort of non disclosure regarding the finer details of VAR?

I haven't disclosed anything that isn't common knowledge.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 31 Dec 2019 11:02

Surprised that the boy who cried wolf got "hacked" considering he's such a technology expert.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 31 Dec 2019 11:24

NO SHIT SHERLOCK

I blame Brexit.
Whereas the rest of Europe use VAR to look at "clear and obvious" we do it our way just to be oxf*rd different.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 31 Dec 2019 16:42

Victor Meldrew

NO SHIT SHERLOCK

I blame Brexit.
Whereas the rest of Europe use VAR to look at "clear and obvious" we do it our way just to be oxf*rd different.

VAR is your new backpass rule

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 01 Jan 2020 13:34

:lol:

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 01 Jan 2020 13:38

genome

:lol: