5342 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Weekend Football

by URZZZZ » 04 Oct 2020 22:02

Pepe the Horseman
URZZZZ Game seems to be gearing more towards counter attacking teams succeeding

You had Leicester last week at City, West Ham and Villa today

Possession is fine but only if you make use of it. You leave yourself too exploited with a bad pass and you’ll pay for it. Can see Mourinho really doing something with Spurs this season as he seems to have a good balance between defence and attack, even with a pretty poor defence

Was just wondering whether I should have a few quid on Spurs to win the league.

I don’t quite think they’ll do it but can certainly see them being up there and about, especially if they get a CB in

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Oct 2020 00:50

West Ham seem to have recovered well after a disastrous start against Newcastle beating Leicester and Wolves by an aggregate score of 7-0 and also dominating Arsenal

Their new RB looks a decent player, reckon they’re only a CB and a couple of backups from having a really good year. Obviously would be preferable to get rid of the likes of Anderson and Lanzini first but reckon they’ll be a short supply of buyers there

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 05 Oct 2020 09:06

We are just four games (or fewer for some) into the new season, and 11 of the teams in the PL have already conceded four goals in a game at least once.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 05 Oct 2020 15:12

Sanguine We are just four games (or fewer for some) into the new season, and 11 of the teams in the PL have already conceded four goals in a game at least once.

Have said for years that defending in the Premier League is dreadful and that's why so many forwards have wanted to come to England to play.
Mind you, it makes for what most fans want to see. goals.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 23 Oct 2020 22:30

What's going on with Bamford? He's never looked likely to score an absolute bucket load of goals to me but that's what he appears to be doing this season. Fair play to him and I'm sure me slagging him off for years is what's spurred him on.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Oct 2020 10:09

6ft Kerplunk What's going on with Bamford? He's never looked likely to score an absolute bucket load of goals to me but that's what he appears to be doing this season. Fair play to him and I'm sure me slagging him off for years is what's spurred him on.

Fan pressure removed

Can now play with more confidence

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 24 Oct 2020 23:21

6ft Kerplunk What's going on with Bamford? He's never looked likely to score an absolute bucket load of goals to me but that's what he appears to be doing this season. Fair play to him and I'm sure me slagging him off for years is what's spurred him on.

Came here to say the same thing. Good on him, he was genuinely delighted, and the 2nd and 3rd were class. Has taken some shit off Leeds fans, but then again they wanted Bielsa out when they hit a little blip last season.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 26 Oct 2020 09:20

Remarkable from Bamford - as many goals in his first six PL appearances this season as in his last 21 in the Championship last time.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 26 Oct 2020 09:27

Some players are just suited to certain situations. The Premier League is of course a better quality league than the Championship but I think strikers do get a bit more time to make decisions in the Premier League, you have better defenders who don't dive in, stand off strikers a little more and are in general just less frantic. I think the physical nature of Championship defenders rattled Bamford a lot of the time, he seemed almost scared of the physical side of things when I saw him playing Championship games.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 26 Oct 2020 09:40

Everton, Leipzig, Milan and Real Sociedad top of their respective tables after the weekend. Which is excellent. Shame PSG has regained top spot from Lille after their dodgy start to the season. Six wins from six, 20 goals scored and one conceded since!

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 26 Oct 2020 10:15

Old Man Andrews Some players are just suited to certain situations. The Premier League is of course a better quality league than the Championship but I think strikers do get a bit more time to make decisions in the Premier League, you have better defenders who don't dive in, stand off strikers a little more and are in general just less frantic. I think the physical nature of Championship defenders rattled Bamford a lot of the time, he seemed almost scared of the physical side of things when I saw him playing Championship games.

Also, the pressure is probably off a little bit more in the Prem, especially with no fans there.

Leeds were expected to win The Championship, and than can do funny things to players.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 26 Oct 2020 10:29

Hendo
Old Man Andrews Some players are just suited to certain situations. The Premier League is of course a better quality league than the Championship but I think strikers do get a bit more time to make decisions in the Premier League, you have better defenders who don't dive in, stand off strikers a little more and are in general just less frantic. I think the physical nature of Championship defenders rattled Bamford a lot of the time, he seemed almost scared of the physical side of things when I saw him playing Championship games.

Also, the pressure is probably off a little bit more in the Prem, especially with no fans there.

Leeds were expected to win The Championship, and than can do funny things to players.

Leeds also have Rodrigo in their team now, think he creates a lot of space for Bamford as opposition defenders are more worried about him and leave Bamford alone. That will change going forward though, Bamford will find it tough going now that he is considered a credible threat by the opposition.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 26 Oct 2020 10:41

Old Man Andrews
Hendo

Leeds also have Rodrigo in their team now, think he creates a lot of space for Bamford as opposition defenders are more worried about him and leave Bamford alone. That will change going forward though, Bamford will find it tough going now that he is considered a credible threat by the opposition.

Yeah, this also. Also takes more pressure off PB.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 Oct 2020 11:06

Divide between the Champ and Prem looking huge so far

Leeds have played well to be fair since being promoted but most would have predicted that; given the nature of their style of play

Although it’s early days, Fulham and West Brom really struggling and look likely for relegation even at this stage

On the other hand, West Ham seem to be on a strong run of form, 8 points out of a possible 12 against Wolves, Leicester, Tottenham and City. In the corresponding fixtures last year, they picked up 0 points so you can see how well Moyes is improving them

Also fancy Southampton to do well this year given their start, they’re a decent side who play on the front foot which is a refreshing change to the likes of Wolves, Newcastle and Palace

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 26 Oct 2020 11:16

A very enjoyable weekend as far as results went.

Wins for Reading, Rangers and Liverpool (and Poole Town scoring 6 away from home, a good result for the manager who is a mate of mine)
Losses for Arsenal, Celtic and Everton
Only draws for Man City, Man Utd, Bournemouth and Bristol City.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 26 Oct 2020 11:18

Oh you're a Rangers supporter too. Just when I thought you couldn't be any more of a cnut.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 26 Oct 2020 11:27

URZZZZ Divide between the Champ and Prem looking huge so far

Leeds have played well to be fair since being promoted but most would have predicted that; given the nature of their style of play

Although it’s early days, Fulham and West Brom really struggling and look likely for relegation even at this stage

On the other hand, West Ham seem to be on a strong run of form, 8 points out of a possible 12 against Wolves, Leicester, Tottenham and City. In the corresponding fixtures last year, they picked up 0 points so you can see how well Moyes is improving them

Also fancy Southampton to do well this year given their start, they’re a decent side who play on the front foot which is a refreshing change to the likes of Wolves, Newcastle and Palace

Pretty crazy seeing as this time last year Leicester smashed them 9-0 and their manager was under the cosh.

Che Adams seems to have finally come good and Ings is proving to be a top player again and happy to see Mccarthy come good again after Palace.

It does seem a lot of teams are beating others that they wouldn't have last season. Sheff United are struggling badly aswell and it would be a shame for them to go down as I rate their boss.
Last edited by Simmops on 26 Oct 2020 11:30, edited 1 time in total.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 26 Oct 2020 11:29

South Coast Royal A very enjoyable weekend as far as results went.

Wins for Reading, Rangers and Liverpool (and Poole Town scoring 6 away from home, a good result for the manager who is a mate of mine)
Losses for Arsenal, Celtic and Everton
Only draws for Man City, Man Utd, Bournemouth and Bristol City.

Scottish football is a joke but I do want somebody to beat Celtic to the title this season.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 Oct 2020 11:36

Simmops

Pretty crazy seeing as this time last year Leicester smashed them 9-0 and their manager was under the cosh.

Che Adams seems to have finally come good and Ings is proving to be a top player again and happy to see Mccarthy come good again after Palace.

It does seem a lot of teams are beating others that they wouldn't have last season. Sheff United are struggling badly aswell and it would be a shame for them to go down as I rate their boss.

Second season syndrome?

Perhaps similar to us in 2006/08. Started the season as underdogs, over exceeded expectations, just missed out on Europe, lost a couple of key players (Sidwell for us, Henderson and O’Connell for them) and subsequently struggle the next season

Think already you’re looking at 3 from 5 teams

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 26 Oct 2020 11:38

URZZZZ
Simmops

Second season syndrome?

Perhaps similar to us in 2006/08. Started the season as underdogs, over exceeded expectations, just missed out on Europe, lost a couple of key players (Sidwell for us, Henderson and O’Connell for them) and subsequently struggle the next season

Think already you’re looking at 3 from 5 teams

Possibly. I hope they become another Burnley, just part of the mid table furnishing really.

I don't think Leeds or Villa will last the distance, but hope one of them can break into European spots.

Think we can say Fulham and West Brom are down. They're both awful teams. Such a shame that Brentford didn't go up and seems like just a wasted spot.

5342 posts