Ups & Downs 2018/19

165 posts
Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Ups & Downs 2018/19

by Winston Biscuit » 29 Apr 2019 17:08

No pitch invasions from Norwich or Sheffield Utd. Promotions deserve to be cancelled.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 30 Apr 2019 12:39

Would love to see Solihull come up through the playoffs, shame (Jobi aside) they didn't quite manage to get automatic. They're massively punching above their weight, they've got a tiny ground and will probably have the squad broken up over the summer if they don't make it. I went a couple of times when I was at uni and it's a great little set up for non league.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Apr 2019 12:56

Brum Royal Would love to see Solihull come up through the playoffs, shame (Jobi aside) they didn't quite manage to get automatic. They're massively punching above their weight, they've got a tiny ground and will probably have the squad broken up over the summer if they don't make it. I went a couple of times when I was at uni and it's a great little set up for non league.

Haven't they had a relatively large amount of money pumped into them by the new owner? Doesn't detract from their season but should protect them if they fail to go up.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 30 Apr 2019 13:07

Stranded
Brum Royal Would love to see Solihull come up through the playoffs, shame (Jobi aside) they didn't quite manage to get automatic. They're massively punching above their weight, they've got a tiny ground and will probably have the squad broken up over the summer if they don't make it. I went a couple of times when I was at uni and it's a great little set up for non league.

Haven't they had a relatively large amount of money pumped into them by the new owner? Doesn't detract from their season but should protect them if they fail to go up.

Maybe, I don't know to be honest. The "massively punching above their weight" comment was to do with ground size - one stand down the side of the ground half a dozen rows deep with seating, one concrete shed behind the goal and two open tarmacced side plus end for the rest of the ground. Compare that to some of the former league sides they're up against - Leyton Orient, Wrexham, Barnet, Chesterfield and the gulf is huge. A new owner pumping in cash would explain why they've jumped up from struggling at the bottom of the league the last couple of seasons.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Apr 2019 13:57

Brum Royal
Stranded

Maybe, I don't know to be honest. The "massively punching above their weight" comment was to do with ground size - one stand down the side of the ground half a dozen rows deep with seating, one concrete shed behind the goal and two open tarmacced side plus end for the rest of the ground. Compare that to some of the former league sides they're up against - Leyton Orient, Wrexham, Barnet, Chesterfield and the gulf is huge. A new owner pumping in cash would explain why they've jumped up from struggling at the bottom of the league the last couple of seasons.

Think I read somewhere that he is looking at Burton as a standard bearer. He is in talks to extend the ground in a hope to attract more fans etc. Appears that he is in this for the long run, so if they don't make it this year they may well be up there again next.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Apr 2019 21:44

With both Sunderland & Pompey losing tonight, Luton & Barnsley are both promoted to the Championship.

The title will be decided on the final day.

Peterborough keep their play-off hopes alive til the final day.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Apr 2019 21:47

Bury promoted from League 2 following their point at Tranmere. That result also ends Tranmere's hopes of automatic promotion.

Final spot will go to Mansfield or MK Dons, who play each other this weekend. Level on points but Mansfield just need a draw due to having the better GD.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 01 May 2019 08:52

Stranded With both Sunderland & Pompey losing tonight

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 May 2019 09:16

Stranded With both Sunderland & Pompey losing tonight, Luton & Barnsley are both promoted to the Championship.

Saturday sees Peterborough home to Burton while Doncaster entertain Coventry which in league standings is 7th v 9th and 6th v 8th.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 01 May 2019 10:11

Sutekh
Stranded With both Sunderland & Pompey losing tonight, Luton & Barnsley are both promoted to the Championship.

Saturday sees Peterborough home to Burton while Doncaster entertain Coventry which in league standings is 7th v 9th and 6th v 8th.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 01 May 2019 10:20

Oliver Norwood will want to avoid a hat-trick this summer - he was part of the Brighton team that got promoted in 16-17, but never played for them in the Premier League, loaned to Fulham where he was a key part of the team that won the playoffs in 17-18. Fulham went up, Norwood went to Sheffield United, where he has again been part of a promotion-winning side. Would be good to see him start for them in midfield in August!

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 01 May 2019 12:21

He's the bizarro Neal Redfearn, shame he only started this run after he left us :|

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 01 May 2019 12:42

Silver Fox He's the bizarro Neal Redfearn, shame he only started this run after he left us :|

Three in a row for Norwood is a step better than Stephen Dobbie, who played in three successive Championship play-off finals (Blackpool, Swansea, Blackpool again), winning the first two, but never playing in the Premier League.
Albeit he was then loaned to Palace the following season, and they won promotion through the play-offs, although Dobbie wasn't in the squad at Wembley.

RFCMod

by RFCMod » 01 May 2019 14:27

Silver Fox

Sunderland to get their revenge at Wembley against Pompey i unfortunately predict

Wanted Pompey back up

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 01 May 2019 14:30

Stranded Final spot will go to Mansfield or MK Dons, who play each other this weekend. Level on points but Mansfield just need a draw due to having the better GD.

Couldn't be more excited for this one. I don't really have any strong feeling for MK one way or another, as much as others do. They have a decent squad but I feel that Mansfield will do it.

Touch of the Brentford 2002 about this one

exileinleeds
Hob Nob Addict

by exileinleeds » 01 May 2019 15:00

John Smith
Stranded Final spot will go to Mansfield or MK Dons, who play each other this weekend. Level on points but Mansfield just need a draw due to having the better GD.

Couldn't be more excited for this one. I don't really have any strong feeling for MK one way or another, as much as others do. They have a decent squad but I feel that Mansfield will do it.

Touch of the Brentford 2002 about this one

As a Notts lass, I would love Mansfield to be promoted, and County to be safe...

Alas, if wishes were horses...

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 May 2019 16:06

RFCMod
Silver Fox

Sunderland to get their revenge at Wembley against Pompey i unfortunately predict

Wanted Pompey back up

Charlton for me please. The one club in London that I don’t find parking to be a total arse.

+ Tariq Fosu

Incidentally are they over their ownership struggles now or has it just gone quiet as the club is getting results?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 01 May 2019 16:17

Sutekh Incidentally are they over their ownership struggles now or has it just gone quiet as the club is getting results?

There's a bit of an uneasy peace for now - yes, because results are good, but also out of supporter weariness. The contracts of management team and near to half of the first team squad are up in the summer, and I think supporters are now biding their time to see what the owner does to sort this, if anything.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 02 May 2019 08:51

Sutekh
Charlton for me please. The one club in London that I don’t find parking to be a total arse.

+ Tariq Fosu

Incidentally are they over their ownership struggles now or has it just gone quiet as the club is getting results?

half decent away day as well

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 02 May 2019 09:21

LWJ
Sutekh

+ Tariq Fosu

half decent away day as well

Driving to Charlton :D

165 posts