Jamie Cureton sets record

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

Jamie Cureton sets record

by Mr Angry » 19 Nov 2019 11:11

Not sure if this has a thread already (if so, mods please delete this one!) but Jamie Cureton was featured in an interesting article in the Daily Telegraph last week, as he has set a record for scoring in the top 9 divisions of the English football league pyramid system!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... divisions/

This little boxed section was particularly fun to read, especially his favorite ever goal......

:D

Jamie Cureton | The art of a goal-scorer

Favourite goal: The one I scored for Reading against Brentford that won us promotion to the Championship. Maybe not my best strike, but its significance made it special.

Favourite type of goal: The lob volley, it’s sort of my trademark. But I’d take a tap in from a yard.

Favourite ground to score in: Highbury. I got back-to-back hat tricks there for Norwich reserves, last game of one season, then first of the next. And I scored for the Norwich first team there too.

Worst miss: That’s a cruel question, they all hurt. I don’t care if I’ve scored two or three in a game, if I then miss a sitter, it is still a horrible feeling.

Favourite strike partner: Jason Roberts. At Bristol Rovers, we had three seasons together and scored 50 goals between us in each one. We suited each other’s games perfectly, and got on really well off the pitch too. He’s a great bloke. And a winner.

Hardest opponents: Joleon Lescott when he was making a name for himself at Wolves and Danny Gabbidon at Cardiff. I didn’t mind big, over-physical players marking me, because I felt I could out run them. With those two, they had the pace as well as the physique.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Jamie Cureton sets record

by Victor Meldrew » 19 Nov 2019 12:26

Thanks for the posting Mr A.
Jamie, the original "what a bargain".

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 19 Nov 2019 12:46

Have been trying to think of any players that might come close to his record and the only one that comes to mind is Grant Holt.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Nov 2019 13:25

Glenn Cockerill might be close as I know he played for Louth way back in the 70s plus numerous games in all divisions of the FL plus a stretch at Woking to finish

But all 9 levels, that’s down to the Hellenic Premier level so quite some achievement.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 19 Nov 2019 15:46

Sutekh Glenn Cockerill might be close as I know he played for Louth way back in the 70s plus numerous games in all divisions of the FL plus a stretch at Woking to finish

But all 9 levels, that’s down to the Hellenic Premier level so quite some achievement.

Steve Claridge must be up there

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1