Champions League/Europa League 2020/21

322 posts
BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Champions League/Europa League 2020/21

by BR0B0T » 28 May 2021 11:15

NathStPaul
6ft Kerplunk
NathStPaul I did a very interesting module on penalty situations when I did my FA Level 2 goalkeeper course, there are methods that can be used to give yourself a much better chance of saving a penalty and all are quite basic.

Do you think penalty shoot outs require a different approach to a one off? You're never going to save a properly placed one so why not give yourself a split second more before moving. You're quite likely to get one badly hit/placed/straight down the middle out of the five that you can save by not moving until the ball is kicked.

I don't think the goalkeeper should approach things any differently, I think they are definitely different for the kick taker though as there is far more pressure.

The goalkeeper has to come up with a routine that they can do before the kick is taken, half the battle is won or lost before the penalty kick happens. You have to try and read the players body language, see how confident they are. Will they maintain eye contact with you? Are they distracted by the penalty spot not being to their liking? etc. Do you then have the time to make life difficult for the player? Can you have a drink? Do up a shoelace? The biggest thing you can do as a keeper is move, you have the power to move up and down the line and move your body parts. If you look at De Gea he stood still and if anything, made himself small in the goal. He made no effort to distract or stay big, he had absolutely no confidence at all and the opposition penalty takers would have seen this.

De Gea forgot that there is absolutely no pressure on him at all. The goalkeeper will not save a good penalty, the distance between the spot and the goal dictates that. You have to go into the shootout with that in your mind which in turn relaxes your body and makes it far less stiff and nerve ridden. I would suggest he needs to see a sports psychologist to install this thought into his mind, he has obviously been badly affected by his lack of penalty saving ability previously. If you go into it defeated you will be defeated.

There are also terrible technique issues when it comes to the attempted save. He firstly has never leanrt to read a run up which is likely a training thing from when he was a young player. It is reasonably easy to read a run up and body shape before the ball is struck provided the player does a standard run up. The attempted saves he was then trying to make were even worse, he flops instead of dives and even if he were to get a touch on the ball he wouldn't save it due to the lack of force behind his dive. His complete lack of confidence in himself is his downfall and maybe it is too late for him to change it now.

?! De Gea was up at the penalty spot talking to the player and taking as long as possible to get to the goal

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 28 May 2021 11:35

BR0B0T
NathStPaul
6ft Kerplunk Do you think penalty shoot outs require a different approach to a one off? You're never going to save a properly placed one so why not give yourself a split second more before moving. You're quite likely to get one badly hit/placed/straight down the middle out of the five that you can save by not moving until the ball is kicked.

I don't think the goalkeeper should approach things any differently, I think they are definitely different for the kick taker though as there is far more pressure.

The goalkeeper has to come up with a routine that they can do before the kick is taken, half the battle is won or lost before the penalty kick happens. You have to try and read the players body language, see how confident they are. Will they maintain eye contact with you? Are they distracted by the penalty spot not being to their liking? etc. Do you then have the time to make life difficult for the player? Can you have a drink? Do up a shoelace? The biggest thing you can do as a keeper is move, you have the power to move up and down the line and move your body parts. If you look at De Gea he stood still and if anything, made himself small in the goal. He made no effort to distract or stay big, he had absolutely no confidence at all and the opposition penalty takers would have seen this.

De Gea forgot that there is absolutely no pressure on him at all. The goalkeeper will not save a good penalty, the distance between the spot and the goal dictates that. You have to go into the shootout with that in your mind which in turn relaxes your body and makes it far less stiff and nerve ridden. I would suggest he needs to see a sports psychologist to install this thought into his mind, he has obviously been badly affected by his lack of penalty saving ability previously. If you go into it defeated you will be defeated.

There are also terrible technique issues when it comes to the attempted save. He firstly has never leanrt to read a run up which is likely a training thing from when he was a young player. It is reasonably easy to read a run up and body shape before the ball is struck provided the player does a standard run up. The attempted saves he was then trying to make were even worse, he flops instead of dives and even if he were to get a touch on the ball he wouldn't save it due to the lack of force behind his dive. His complete lack of confidence in himself is his downfall and maybe it is too late for him to change it now.

?! De Gea was up at the penalty spot talking to the player and taking as long as possible to get to the goal

Absolutely. I kept waiting for the ref to say something to him as on so many penalties he approached the taker to exchange words and was generally up to delaying shenanigans for each one.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 29 May 2021 20:53

Very impressed by Chelsea.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 29 May 2021 22:02

One man for City to blame and that is their manager. Guardiola trying to be too clever for his own good.

Unlike their first CL Final this was a well deserved Chelsea win.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 29 May 2021 22:06

Seriously impressive performance from Chelsea

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 29 May 2021 22:09

They were good, and if Werner was a footballer they'd have won that comfortably.

But I hope people don't pretend they were massive underdogs having spent £200 million last summer

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 29 May 2021 22:30

I hope Reece James remembers to take Sterling out of his pocket before he travels home.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 29 May 2021 22:31

Werner is very nearly excellent - he just can’t kick the ball into the net!

I suspect he’ll fix that next season and be a top top player for Chelsea.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 29 May 2021 22:33

In a game like that Fernandinho had to start and Sterling didn’t.

Guardiola definitely got it wrong tonight.

Brilliant performance from Chelsea and no-one in the team it’s easy to dislike which is unusual!

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 29 May 2021 22:54

#PEPOUT

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 May 2021 23:00

Psychological impact of two defeats to Chelsea in a matter of weeks had an impact on the game tonight

Pep tried to outsmart Tuchel - badly backfired. Being generous - you could see the intention from Pep. Deep block from Chelsea was obvious - so let’s try and over commit in attack and get an early goal. But for a game of this magnitude, and Chelsea’s obvious counter attacking threats, was extremely risky and ultimately failed. A Rodri/Fernandinho type player blocks out the pass for Chelsea’s goal

Side note, N’Golo Kante was absolutely superb tonight, didn’t put a foot wrong

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 29 May 2021 23:46

BR0B0T #PEPOUT

#BaldFraud

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 May 2021 11:31

N'Golo Kante has won practically everything in the last five years :shock:

Premier League (x2), FA Cup, Europa League, Champions League, and the World Cup, all since 2016.

Just the Euros to go now, and I guess, a League Cup. Hell of a player.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 30 May 2021 12:29

genome N'Golo Kante has won practically everything in the last five years :shock:

Premier League (x2), FA Cup, Europa League, Champions League, and the World Cup, all since 2016.

Just the Euros to go now, and I guess, a League Cup. Hell of a player.

Only a month to wait for one of them and then he signs for City to finish the collection :wink:

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 30 May 2021 12:42

Royal Rother
Brilliant performance from Chelsea and no-one in the team it’s easy to dislike which is unusual!

grudging agreed.

Indeed their players are more likeable than those of Man City.

I just wanted a good game, a showcase final. One nil sounds dour, but I quite enjoyed the match.

Pleased to see there were a number of English players in both teams too.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 30 May 2021 13:16

I have a plan to play with 12 in the Euro’s

Play James at right back and he’ll still have Sterling in his pocket.

Actually, scratch that, it would still be playing with only 11 but it would prevent wasting a shirt on the seriously out of form Sterling

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 30 May 2021 19:23

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 01 Jun 2021 10:42

I think Werner is an exceptional player.

He just needs to be taken to one side, 2 hours a day and work on finishing, crack that and he will be amazing.

If chelsea go all out for Haaland and maybe one other key signing they will be incredibly strong next season.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 01 Jun 2021 10:51

paultheroyal I think Werner is an exceptional player.

He just needs to be taken to one side, 2 hours a day and work on finishing, crack that and he will be amazing.

If chelsea go all out for Haaland and maybe one other key signing they will be incredibly strong next season.

Have a feeling Chelsea might try and use Werner as a bargaining chip with Dortmund for the Haaland transfer.

Agree with your evaluation of Werner, there is a great player in there waiting to get out. He reminds me a bit of Thierry Henry when he first came to England, he didn't know if he was meant to be a winger or a centre forward. He eventually scored goals and never stopped. Werner wil be the same if he is Chelsea's lead striker next season.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 01 Jun 2021 13:52

Werner's reading of the game is second to none. He is in the right place at the right time more often than not. If only he could finish. Hope that changes for him. Seems like a sound bloke.

322 posts