by Daniella » 27 Mar 2008 11:19

good post jay.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Re:

by Jerry St Clair » 27 Mar 2008 12:25

The whole year inn
SpaceCruiser
frimleygreen_shotspur spurs because when i was nine i watched the 1961 cup final and was captivated.they did then,as now,place the emphasis on entertainment.aldershot,because they are local.

Then you're a fool. I've moved down to Exeter and refused to support the local team.

There's only one fool on this thread Spacey, you mong.

I maintain that I will always support the local team where I live. So, if I moved ot Exeter, you'd find me at St James's Park for home games.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Do you support more than one club?

by handbags_harris » 27 Mar 2008 13:14

I'd liken this to having a girlfriend you love and then having a few friends who are girls. Reading are obviously the one and only, but I have a number of clubs I look out for:

Feyenoord - met a Feyenoord fan at our pre-season friendly and have been talking ever since, been once to de Kuip, going again in 10 days.

Rochdale - feel sorry for them. Nay promotions in god knows how long, also an ex supported them.

Torquay - liked leroy Rosenior from his Champo days and looked out for them particularly their crazy results in their recent Div 2 season. Also to take the piss out of Partridge.

Maidenhead Utd - been there 4 or 5 times, classic football for purists. And the barmaids need ruining.

Rangers - been to a couple of matches in England and have been massively impressed by the noise and sheer numbers of their support. Some good chants as well.

East Stirlingshire - randomly bought one of their shirts last year and have looked for their results ever since.

Cork City - the Doyle/Long link.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 27 Mar 2008 13:46

handbags_harris East Stirlingshire - randomly bought one of their shirts last year and have looked for their results ever since.

The inside, in-depth and indiscreet story of a season with Britain's worst football club - East Stirlingshire. The Shire are lucky if all eleven players make it to a game, they have an average home attendance at their dilapidated Firs Park ground of 200 and they ended the 2004/05 season bottom of the Scottish Third Division - for the third consecutive year. Granted access to all areas, Jeff Connor gets into the dressing room, the board room and the dug-out. But, above all, he gets into the spirit of the club. He began the season a scoffing cynic and finished it lost in admiration for one of the dottiest sporting institutions in Britain as the Shire attempted to reach the promised land - Second bottom of the Scottish Third Division. At times funny, sad, heart-warming and embarrassing, as events on and off the pitch unfold, "Pointless" is an unmissable insight into a unique football team.

glosson

by glosson » 27 Mar 2008 14:18

I started supporting D.C. United in the first year of the MLS and never stopped. It's hard to get over to Berkshire for the Reading games, but I can, on occassion, pop up 5 hours to D.C. and watch D.C United play when I'm visiting the in-laws. They are, unfortunately, the closest MLS team to me for the time being.

Northern Git

by Northern Git » 27 Mar 2008 21:30

Still a Spireite and always will be.

However strange things happen along lifes bumpy road.
First got interested in football after the world cup win in 66’ ( yes, I am that old). Watched the game in the White Swan Hotel in Tenby whilst on holiday. Decided to go to a game start of the next season. That was the start of a love hate relationship with Chesterfield FC that last has lasted over forty years.

Watched them home and away through thick and thin (mostly thin) through the sixties and seventies until I headed south in 1980 and rolled up in downtown Maidenhead. Still went to every game I could and resisted the temptation to go to Everton games with a new neighbour and latterly Watford games when I worked in a studio full off Hornets supporters.

The change came in the early 90’s when I moved to Wokingham. I had cut back on going to games due to a huge morgage, two kids, two cats, two dogs and a wife who loved holidays.

Neighbours now were Royals fans and on a fateful day in 1993 I agreed to go along to Elm Park for the first time not as an away fan. Cannot even remember who we played now. Surprisingly felt myself enjoying it. Few pints in the Rendezvous, great banter and piss taking, decrepit ground, and a game of football. Perfect Saturday afternoon !

The whole day was so uncannily like going to a game at Chesterfield that I felt instantly ‘at home’.

Went to the next away game, Fulham on Boxing Day. Did not miss a home game for the rest of the season and bought a season ticket for the following season. Had a season ticket ever since.

Suppose the real moment of truth came in Feb 2000 when the Royals played Chesterfield at Saltergate. After a drunken Friday night and more than a few pints before the game with the old ‘gang’ from Chesterfield came the moment when I turned right on Saltergate and walked up to the away end on Compton Street and, for the very first time, watched a game as an ‘away’ supporter at Chesterfield. Very strange feeling.

Still watch for their results every week, go to a game whenever I can and talk to old friends every week to pick over the bones of the latest Spireite success or disaster.

At least I cannot be accused of being a glory hunter and having a Man U, Chelsea etc as a second team! :lol:

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 01 May 2008 21:31

handbags_harris I'd liken this to having a girlfriend you love and then having a few friends who are girls.

I've thought that way for a while. Used to think i was the only one who held that view!