European Leagues Thread 2012/2013

5197 posts
Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

Re: European Leagues Thread 2012/2013

by Winston Biscuit » 20 Sep 2020 17:49

Rennes beat Monaco 2-1 last night, putting them top of the league, with Camavinga yet again getting rave reviews.

Only a matter of time until a big offer arrives

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 21 Sep 2020 09:26

Serie A started with Andrea Pirlo taking charge of Juve for the first time as they won 3-0. Arron Ramsey getting rave reviews for his performance.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 22 Sep 2020 16:55

AC Milan play against FK Bodo/Glimt in the Europe league later this week.

Listened to Norwegian football journalist Lars Sivertsen today who explained that FK Bodo/Glimt are a historically small club from a very small town in the north of the country inside the arctic circle, yet after 18 games of the 30 game season have as good as wrapped up the title already as they are 16 points clear having not lost a game and dropped only 4 points. Also scored 65 goals in those 18 games. He said Norwegian football has never seen anything like it before.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 22 Sep 2020 17:10

Winston Biscuit AC Milan play against FK Bodo/Glimt in the Europe league later this week.

Listened to Norwegian football journalist Lars Sivertsen today who explained that FK Bodo/Glimt are a historically small club from a very small town in the north of the country inside the arctic circle, yet after 18 games of the 30 game season have as good as wrapped up the title already as they are 16 points clear having not lost a game and dropped only 4 points. Also scored 65 goals in those 18 games. He said Norwegian football has never seen anything like it before.

They've had some success before - a couple of Norwegian Cups - and they last made the first round proper of the (then) UEFA Cup in 2004-05.

What I can't find though is why on earth they have a forward slash in their club name!

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Sep 2020 17:20

Sanguine
Winston Biscuit AC Milan play against FK Bodo/Glimt in the Europe league later this week.

They've had some success before - a couple of Norwegian Cups - and they last made the first round proper of the (then) UEFA Cup in 2004-05.

What I can't find though is why on earth they have a forward slash in their club name!

Is it not as simple as the team representing two towns or districts? Bodo and Glimt? Or an amalgamation of two teams, Bodo and Glimt?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 22 Sep 2020 17:27

Old Man Andrews
Sanguine

Is it not as simple as the team representing two towns or districts? Bodo and Glimt? Or an amalgamation of two teams, Bodo and Glimt?

I think so, it's the use of '/' that has got me. There are plenty of teams that represent two areas - Dagenham & Redbridge, Havant & Waterlooville etc.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 22 Sep 2020 17:43

Sanguine
Old Man Andrews
Sanguine

I think so, it's the use of '/' that has got me. There are plenty of teams that represent two areas - Dagenham & Redbridge, Havant & Waterlooville etc.

Any other teams out there that use a / in their name? Could be a nice unique thing for them

'Cmon you forward slashes!!'

Loosely related - I would love to see the reaction of someone who lives on the equator, who doesnt know about shifting daylight hours, having it explained to them that in some parts of the world sometimes the sun doesnt come up and sometimes it doesnt go down. It would absolutely blow your mind!

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Sep 2020 17:51

Sanguine
Old Man Andrews
Sanguine

"Glimt is known for the yellow kits and the huge yellow toothbrushes that the supporters carry to the matches" 

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 22 Sep 2020 18:11

I am liking the sound of these more and more

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Sep 2020 07:45

Winston Biscuit
Sanguine
Old Man Andrews Is it not as simple as the team representing two towns or districts? Bodo and Glimt? Or an amalgamation of two teams, Bodo and Glimt?

Any other teams out there that use a / in their name? Could be a nice unique thing for them

Loosely related - I would love to see the reaction of someone who lives on the equator, who doesnt know about shifting daylight hours, having it explained to them that in some parts of the world sometimes the sun doesnt come up and sometimes it doesnt go down. It would absolutely blow your mind!

I was in Bali many years back now and was enjoying a drink with our local guide one night and that topic came up - he just couldn't get his head around the fact that in summer it was light until 10pm but in winter dark before 4.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Sep 2020 08:01

Sanguine
Old Man Andrews
Sanguine

The club were originally called Glimt, which is the Norwegian word for flash. They did not have the name of the town in their name. They decided to add Bodo to the name and Glimt became their nickname but they wanted to keep the original name in the team name, so they became Bodo/Glimt to make it clear they were the same club as the orginal FK Glimt.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Sep 2020 08:08

Stranded
Winston Biscuit
Sanguine

I was in Bali many years back now and was enjoying a drink with our local guide one night and that topic came up - he just couldn't get his head around the fact that in summer it was light until 10pm but in winter dark before 4.

Had the same thing with a thick as f*ck cousin of mine in Australia when i visited years ago. She said I was making it all up and never believed it.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Sep 2020 08:18

Winston Biscuit
Stranded
Winston Biscuit

Had the same thing with a thick as f*ck cousin of mine in Australia when i visited years ago. She said I was making it all up and never believed it.

Must be from the Northern Territories then? as certainly in the south you would notice a difference in day length at various times of the year - not as pronounced as Northern Europe but sunrise shifts a good hour earlier and sunset shifts about 3 hours depending on the season.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Sep 2020 08:26

Stranded
Winston Biscuit
Stranded

Must be from the Northern Territories then? as certainly in the south you would notice a difference in day length at various times of the year - not as pronounced as Northern Europe but sunrise shifts a good hour earlier and sunset shifts about 3 hours depending on the season.

Perth. They had obvious fluctuations in daylight hours but not to the extend we did

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Sep 2020 16:34

Bayern Munich's last 31 games in all comps:

won 30
drawn 1

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Sep 2020 16:52

Youssoufa Moukoko. 15 year old forward at Dortmund.

Started playing for their under 17's from 12 years old and scored 90 goals in 56 games for them. Was moved up to their under 19's at 14 years old and scored 37 in 22. Moved up to the first team squad this summer. Not allowed to make his debut until November when he turns 16.

Apparently this is the kid that Dortmund see as the potential jewel in their crown

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 23 Sep 2020 17:20

Winston Biscuit Youssoufa Moukoko. 15 year old forward at Dortmund.

Started playing for their under 17's from 12 years old and scored 90 goals in 56 games for them. Was moved up to their under 19's at 14 years old and scored 37 in 22. Moved up to the first team squad this summer. Not allowed to make his debut until November when he turns 16.

Apparently this is the kid that Dortmund see as the potential jewel in their crown

They have a crazy set of young players. Haaland and Sancho almost seem like elders at 20, but Reyna and Bellingham (17) both started their opening league game of the season as well. Moukoko played in the u19s opening game of the season and got a hat-trick. He's got 10 assists in those 37 games, too. Looks like a real star.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Sep 2020 17:31

Sanguine

They have a crazy set of young players. Haaland and Sancho almost seem like elders at 20, but Reyna and Bellingham (17) both started their opening league game of the season as well. Moukoko played in the u19s opening game of the season and got a hat-trick. He's got 10 assists in those 37 games, too. Looks like a real star.

Reyna getting rave reviews for their opening game. You see their breakaway goal from one box to the other? frightening stuff

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Sep 2020 13:16

Going to net them loads at that rate when he moves to Madrid or Barca or Liverpool or ManC etc. No doubt all those clubs have him on their radar already.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Sep 2020 20:58

Everyone's favourite Norwegian team, Bodo/Glimt 3-2 down to AC Milan currently.

5197 posts