The generic transfer thread

10373 posts
South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The generic transfer thread

by South Coast Royal » 17 Aug 2020 13:27

Sanguine
Hendo
Old Man Andrews In 1997 when Steve Ogrizovic played Premier League football keepers could pick up backpasses? Interesting.......

Played both with and without it.

Tenuously related, I was :shock: to learn that Jamie Redknapp signed for Liverpool in the year after their last league win in 1989-90.

Yes and he was only 16 at the time.
Although he was never the quickest (especially after all the injuries) as a young lad playing junior football down here he was a flying machine, often played wide right.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Aug 2020 13:42

South Coast Royal
Sanguine
Hendo

Tenuously related, I was :shock: to learn that Jamie Redknapp signed for Liverpool in the year after their last league win in 1989-90.

Although he was never the quickest (especially after all the injuries) as a young lad playing junior football down here he was a flying machine, often played wide right.

Jamie Redknapp was 17 when he signed for Liverpool for £350k in early 1991. What would £350k buy you in the transfer market now?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 17 Aug 2020 13:51

Not much, but then the British transfer record in 1991 was the £5.5m that Bari paid Villa for David Platt.
On that broad and not particularly useful comparison, would mean a 17 year old with good potential for c. £6-7m these days (vs. transfers of £100m).

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 17 Aug 2020 14:14

South Coast Royal
Sanguine
Hendo

he was shite

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 17 Aug 2020 16:33

BR0B0T
South Coast Royal
Sanguine

he was shite

Hardly.
A decent Premier League/England player.
I am not sure how you assess a player but compared to say Messi, Ronaldo or God he doesn't stack up but compared with most English players then "shite" appears rather harsh.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 17 Aug 2020 16:44

South Coast Royal
BR0B0T
South Coast Royal

he was shite

Hardly.
I am not sure how you assess a player but compared to say Messi, Ronaldo or God he doesn't stack up but compared with most English players then "shite" appears rather harsh.

you averaged about 5th with him in the team...thus and therefore, shite...QED.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 17 Aug 2020 16:48

BR0B0T
South Coast Royal
BR0B0T
he was shite

Hardly.

By the same token you might suggest that Fowler was , to use your dreadful word, shite?
IMHO Redknapp was no world-beater but just to dismiss him, and as you do with many things , as being "shite" is overly simple and both crude and naff.
In other words, typical Man Utd.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 17 Aug 2020 16:52

South Coast Royal
BR0B0T
South Coast Royal
Hardly.

By the same token you might suggest that Fowler was , to use your dreadful word, shite?
IMHO Redknapp was no world-beater but just to dismiss him, and as you do with many things , as being "shite" is overly simple and both crude and naff.

Vic, I'm simply taking the approach you constantly take

or we could say that Jamie was gr8 and LFC were shite, I'm happy enough with that

he was out injured for your best* season btw...the treble*

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 17 Aug 2020 16:56

BR0B0T
South Coast Royal
BR0B0T

Vic, I'm simply taking the approach you constantly take

or we could say that Jamie was gr8 and LFC were shite, I'm happy enough with that

he was out injured for your best* season btw...the treble*

I am not putting forward any strong defence of Jamie and his ability-I just find your dismissive regular use of the word "shite" both crude and lacking in thought.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Aug 2020 17:35

Leon Bailey to Spurs looks like it will happen. Not sure they need any more wingers, defenders should be their top priority.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 17 Aug 2020 17:44

Old Man Andrews Leon Bailey to Spurs looks like it will happen. Not sure they need any more wingers, defenders should be their top priority.

Same goes for Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Aug 2020 17:58

South Coast Royal
Old Man Andrews Leon Bailey to Spurs looks like it will happen. Not sure they need any more wingers, defenders should be their top priority.

Yes.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 17 Aug 2020 18:04

Old Man Andrews
South Coast Royal

Yes.

Chelsea could do with a goalie more than anyone, feels like almost every shot seems to go in against Kepa

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Aug 2020 18:07

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews
South Coast Royal

Yes.

Chelsea could do with a goalie more than anyone, feels like almost every shot seems to go in against Kepa

They'll probably need to shift Kepa first, hard to see there being much demand for him.
Can see them going after Nick Pope or Dean Henderson if United keep De Gea.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 17 Aug 2020 20:39

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews Yes.

They'll probably need to shift Kepa first, hard to see there being much demand for him.

I like Willy.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 17 Aug 2020 20:56

Simmops
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ

I like Willy.

So it's not a rumour ... etc, etc.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 24 Aug 2020 16:18

Is Thiago Silva the defender Chelsea need, or will he look his age once he is taken out of a dominant PSG team?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 24 Aug 2020 16:19

Thiago Alcantra to Liverpool apparently close to being announced. And rumours that Gini Wijnaldum is Barca-bound are growing.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 24 Aug 2020 18:28

Sanguine Is Thiago Silva the defender Chelsea need, or will he look his age once he is taken out of a dominant PSG team?

Still miffed that I said on here maybe 7-8 years ago that Silva was the best centre back in the world and one nobber laughed at me and said he wasnt even in the top x and that I didnt know what I was talking about.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Aug 2020 19:38

Winston Biscuit
Sanguine Is Thiago Silva the defender Chelsea need, or will he look his age once he is taken out of a dominant PSG team?

Still miffed that I said on here maybe 7-8 years ago that Silva was the best centre back in the world and one nobber laughed at me and said he wasnt even in the top x and that I didnt know what I was talking about.

I think there were better options out there, slightly cheaper ones in terms of wages too. Bit surprised they didn't approach Vertonghen.
Last edited by Old Man Andrews on 24 Aug 2020 19:51, edited 1 time in total.

10373 posts