The Non - League thread

10547 posts
Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

Re: Non - League thread 2012/13

by Alexander Litvinenko » 09 Sep 2012 17:51

Four Of Clubs Bishop's Cleeve 6-0 Bracknell Town :(

According to the BTFC Twitter feed, their biggest achievement was winning a single corner and forcing one save from the Bishop's Cleeve 'keeper!

Warfield Royal

by Warfield Royal » 09 Sep 2012 20:58

Four Of Clubs ... Brief update ; both tonight's games end with 3-1 home wins - think Yellamen could start to be recognised as potential contenders this term if they continue with this kind of form. :)

It's been a hard week at Ascot United. There is a point of view whereby we only narrowly lost to Bishops Cleeve and had we won we would have played Bracknell Town on Friday night who lost 6 - 0. The conciliation was a hastily arranged match against 2nd place Witney Town as their ground was unavailable and there was racing at Ascot. The win on Friday night was very sweet.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 09 Sep 2012 22:31

... I think the upturn in form has taken a few by surprise in Hellenic Circles - they won't dish out much credit ...

(reading the Chat Room, they rarely do, to anyone other than the likes of Witney or Wantage :roll: ) .... until Ascot make some serious, prolonged and sustained moves up the table.

Binfield have nearly broken into the inner sanctum over the last few years - would be nice to have another Berks side tearing it up a bit at the top. :twisted:

...anywhich - may dash up to Stag Meadow tomorrow night, to see what the recently 'austere' Windsor can make of Egham.

Bit of a blank midweek coming up - just a few Cup ties and marlow v Highmoor/IBIS (supposed to be on Tue eve)

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 09 Sep 2012 22:33

you have one understanding missus

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 09 Sep 2012 23:47

or no missus at all.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 10 Sep 2012 08:55

Four Of Clubs Results :

Saturday 8th Sept

FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round

Pagham 0-0 Carshalton Athletic
Ended up here (just) and saw my first stalemate in over a year :roll: – nothing between the sides - although two Pyramid steps apart –

Nyetimber Lane Pagham, an old stomping ground of mine as my Grandparents Garden more or less backed on to the ground. Have followed their results for years, not that they ever get anywhere. Hope you enjoyed the visit.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 10 Sep 2012 09:18

absolute LOLz at WindsoROFL's players all jumping ship because THEY CAN'T AFFORD THEM, LOLove of the cLOLub

as Lou Christie once sang its 'Lightning, Striking Agaiiiin'

1-0, stay lucky.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 10 Sep 2012 10:47

At least we've got a manager!

FWIW I was quite impressed by Didcot on Saturday. It wasn't a great game to judge I suppose because for Windsor it almost had the feeling of a pre-season match - an odd experience for players and fans alike I guess - but Didcot looked a cut above Windsor. Should have won by more but most shots went straight at our 'keeper.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing who turns out for Windsor tonight, it'll be quite exciting really. I think there'll be a few old faces returning but mixed in with more of the younger brigade. A week's notice isn't a great deal of time to pull a squad together so if we get anything out of this game it'll be a huge shock.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 10 Sep 2012 10:49

Alan Partridge absolute LOLz at WindsoROFL's players all jumping ship because THEY CAN'T AFFORD THEM, LOLove of the cLOLub

as Lou Christie once sang its 'Lightning, Striking Agaiiiin'

1-0, stay lucky.

Hmmm. Not exactly true that we can't afford them but I do get your point. I will be very interested to see where players end up. I know for sure that Chris Ellis and James Tripp are moving down the road to Egham but won't be playing tonight for obvious reasons. My spies at the game on Saturday suggested that Didcot were good value for the win and should have scored more.

Royalist

by Royalist » 10 Sep 2012 11:42

the CLUB cannot afford to pay the old wage budget that was clear to see. It was always being propped up by Mr Stott from the start which was utter madness and a folly and was against the ethos of the new club. Now the club is, hopefully, going to be making a tidy profit each week. Cannot imagine any other local club can say that?! :mrgreen:

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 10 Sep 2012 11:48

I was hoping to get a more angry rattled response to be honest. :cry:

I've seen Diddy a few times this season and they are a million times better than they were last year. Got some pace and goal threat in the side this year with Morgan Williams and Osborne-Ricketts coming back as well as the lad Clark from Thatcham, they've also got a good if not slightly eccentric keeper. Still loads better than the crud they had last season though. Elkins son Sam is a decent player as well although I think they are still trying to find his best position. To be fair wherever he plays he's pretty good.

They really should be aiming to get in the playoffs or at worst top 10 with the squad they've got.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 10 Sep 2012 12:03

Royalist the CLUB cannot afford to pay the old wage budget that was clear to see. It was always being propped up by Mr Stott from the start which was utter madness and a folly and was against the ethos of the new club. Now the club is, hopefully, going to be making a tidy profit each week. Cannot imagine any other local club can say that?! :mrgreen:

For the 250th time... :wink:

1. Kevin Stott said he would fund the club in Yr 1 with the aim that the 3G pitches would be built and generating income in time for Season 2. HIS money, HIS decision, HIS risk. He publicly said he was not looking to get that money back from the club.
2. He was completely unequivocal in saying he was NOT going to be a Sugar Daddy as the model does not work. So that funding was for Yr 1 only.
3. The Crown have been even slower regarding the lease than expected and work has not been able to start on the 3G pitches. It has recently become apparent that there was little likelihood that any such income would be seen during the current season.
4. Therefore in keeping with point No 1, Kevin Stott has withdrawn the player / management budget.

Not folly, madness or anything like it - just an eyes open personal commitment by the chairman (one he could afford and was prepared to make in establishing the new club).

He has honoured his commitment, and acted upon his oft expressed statement of limitation.

Maybe he was unwise to commit his money to fund Yr 1, maybe there should have been no playing budget at the start - alternative options and opinions are fine, but he does not deserve criticism for what he has done, which is to create a new club from the ashes of the old one despite a large number of obstacles to overcome at the outset.

Anyway, you coming down tonight Royalist? :D

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 10 Sep 2012 12:03

Alan Partridge I was hoping to get a more angry rattled response to be honest. :cry:

Thought so! :mrgreen:

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 10 Sep 2012 12:44

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 10 Sep 2012 12:52

Don't think Didcot v Clevedon will be chosen for TV coverage.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 10 Sep 2012 13:41

Royal Rother
Royalist the CLUB cannot afford to pay the old wage budget that was clear to see. It was always being propped up by Mr Stott from the start which was utter madness and a folly and was against the ethos of the new club. Now the club is, hopefully, going to be making a tidy profit each week. Cannot imagine any other local club can say that?! :mrgreen:

For the 250th time... :wink:

1. Kevin Stott said he would fund the club in Yr 1 with the aim that the 3G pitches would be built and generating income in time for Season 2. HIS money, HIS decision, HIS risk. He publicly said he was not looking to get that money back from the club.
2. He was completely unequivocal in saying he was NOT going to be a Sugar Daddy as the model does not work. So that funding was for Yr 1 only.
3. The Crown have been even slower regarding the lease than expected and work has not been able to start on the 3G pitches. It has recently become apparent that there was little likelihood that any such income would be seen during the current season.
4. Therefore in keeping with point No 1, Kevin Stott has withdrawn the player / management budget.

Not folly, madness or anything like it - just an eyes open personal commitment by the chairman (one he could afford and was prepared to make in establishing the new club).

He has honoured his commitment, and acted upon his oft expressed statement of limitation.

Maybe he was unwise to commit his money to fund Yr 1, maybe there should have been no playing budget at the start - alternative options and opinions are fine, but he does not deserve criticism for what he has done, which is to create a new club from the ashes of the old one despite a large number of obstacles to overcome at the outset.

Anyway, you coming down tonight Royalist? :D

Unfortunately, this article keeps cropping up in my mind

http://www.windsorobserver.co.uk/sport/football/articles/2012/07/20/61154-exclusive-kevin-stott-moves-to-quash-budget-cut-rumours/

Not the best statement to have made.

Royalist

by Royalist » 10 Sep 2012 13:56

Plus the fact he didn't cut wage bill at start of the season/end of last. There was NO need to bring in the quality of player/manager he did to get a team going at this level and we all know that! Credit has to go for man hours and effort in setting up new club but doesn't mean i have to agree with everything he does. It isn't wise to tow party line as time and time again its left people with egg on face! You yourself claimed players were not joining club for money...shall see when team sheet is out tonight!

Not able to make it tonight but will be down alot more often now for sure.

Royalist

by Royalist » 10 Sep 2012 13:58

Alan Partridge Don't think Didcot v Clevedon will be chosen for TV coverage.

Think ESPN/BUDWISER have tried to forget FA cup is on until 1st round now!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 10 Sep 2012 15:28

Royalist Plus the fact he didn't cut wage bill at start of the season/end of last. There was NO need to bring in the quality of player/manager he did to get a team going at this level and we all know that! Credit has to go for man hours and effort in setting up new club but doesn't mean i have to agree with everything he does. It isn't wise to tow party line as time and time again its left people with egg on face! You yourself claimed players were not joining club for money...shall see when team sheet is out tonight!

I wouldn't have done it the same way myself but that's not the point.

Stott didn't put anything or anybody at risk by investing his own money in the best way he saw fit. He was open and honest with the supporters about it being a 1 year funding only, plus whatever might be involved in getting the 3G pitches installed, if required. I just don't see that anyone can have an issue with that.

On the other hand I CAN understand the players feeling let down after being assured (in the linked article, and presumably in other discussions pre-season) that the funding was in place for another season, so no hard feelings towards them for buggering off in the slightest, no matter their (imaginary or otherwise) depth of feeling for the club.

It's an unfortunate set of circumstances and TB will know a lot more about the background / truth than I do, but I'd be surprised if he felt that Stott, despite the sudden U-Turn re this season's funding, is anything other than a straight and honest bloke and the decision made won't have sat well with him.

Not putting those words in his mouth though!

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 10 Sep 2012 15:52

Basically it's a sugar daddy scenario for one season but that's it. So Windsor for one season pay money they can't afford (the club can't afford it, this is out of one blokes pocket) to assemble a squad that does well for one season yet next season they can't afford to run the same. so basically they are cheating the rest of the league then, say they win promotion they have done it on a budget that isn't sustainable for the club. They have then taken another clubs opportunity away of winning the league who have run perfectly within their means. The next season Windsor are back to square 1 with possibly a bunch of kids in a league they can't compete in and have robbed a deserving team of that opportunity.

He may not have put Windsor at risk providing he's just willing to take a financial loss to himself but again Windsor are demeaning the competition they are in, they are effectively cheating...again. Fair play for ending this nonsense now.

10547 posts