The Non - League thread

10515 posts
Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Non - League thread 2012/13

by Royal Rother » 22 Oct 2012 16:30

Oh it's all been TIC has it?

100% of your posts about Windsor FC have been cynical / negative over the last year or 2 so I really didn't detect / wasn't anticipating a change in approach.

Fine, I'll read them as if there was a smiley on the end in future and see if that changes their meaning to me.

Royalist

by Royalist » 22 Oct 2012 16:33

Was i wrong before?!

And i don't think i have been cynical about new set up. If that's how i've come across it's not how i feel.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 23 Oct 2012 20:56

Sorry, for the benefit of those of us who have lost track of the goings on at farcical Windsor FC over the past couple of years.....who was right all along, Royalist or Royal Rother? No summary needed, just a quick answer. Cheers.

Royalist

by Royalist » 23 Oct 2012 21:48

Deleted that post. Don't want this thread turning into me v rother as we just have different ways of seeing something we care about that's all!

In other news slough get the glamour tie of Mansfield away after winning 2-1 at Gosport

Christof

by Christof » 23 Oct 2012 21:50

Royalist In other news slough get the glamour tie of Mansfield away after winning 2-1 at Gosport

:D

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 24 Oct 2012 07:57

floyd__streete Sorry, for the benefit of those of us who have lost track of the goings on at farcical Windsor FC over the past couple of years.....who was right all along, Royalist or Royal Rother? No summary needed, just a quick answer. Cheers.

Windsor fans - the non-league Pompey fans

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 24 Oct 2012 09:02

Christof
Royalist In other news slough get the glamour tie of Mansfield away after winning 2-1 at Gosport

:D

Great achievement for Slough Town. Well done.

Royalist, were you at the Forum last Saturday?

Royalist

by Royalist » 24 Oct 2012 14:07

Nope. I get it in the neck for having 90 mins of 'me time' as it is. Not worth the hassle for me personally! Would be nice if there was a e-mail version.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 24 Oct 2012 14:29

TBH, there wasn't really anything new to add to what I've been posting on here anyway.

The reason he committed to fund it for 1 year was because he genuinely thought the revenues from the new income streams would have been a reality by now. He knew dealing with The Crown would be difficult / slow but as someone who likes to think of himself as a bit of an action man / problem solver he thought he'd be able to confound expectations and make it happen. He was wrong and has now kind of given up on trying to force the pace. But there is a 75 year lease on the table it seems. He's not anxious to sign it quickly because there will be more costs incurred when variations are required once the site developments can start.

Things were going very well in discussions with the Windsor Health Club for the gym partnership but when they withdrew recently as they would not be able to fund it he realised that he had no option but to withdraw the budget from the playing side of the club otherwise he'd be falling in to trap of Sugar Daddy which he swore he would not do, beyond that accepted risk he took with his money in Year 1.

Did he regret not starting the club with zero playing budget? Yes, with hindsight he does regret that, but he made the decision based on what he knew at the time, and what he believed could be achieved and you have to be prepared to take a chance in life sometimes...

Oh and the best news of all - we have a "new" goalkeeper lined up!

(And yes, I know what you mean about getting it in the neck. Mine's not too bad most of the time, espec as I've been taking my lad along for most games down the years, but he's stopped coming recently preferring to stay home and watch Reading on the internet - silly sod!)

Royalist

by Royalist » 24 Oct 2012 15:01

"action man / problem solver" and chilled out entertainer?! :mrgreen:

I still don't get the sugar daddy for 1 year thinking as lets be honest to get plans like that off the ground AND turning a profit within a year is silly talk but at least he's woken up. I still think this season will be tough but Windsor might even make it back to back wins against HW and then who knows!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Oct 2012 14:48

I have no idea what the team will look like next week, let alone at the end of the season as it changes every game atm, but I think it will be tough, yes, and would be happy with mid / lower-mid finish right now. The youngsters are learning a lot and if they stick around, continuing to get games, they will be much better for it.

Saturday was good for everyone, but as we have previously agreed, Sandhurst were very poor. They beat Hartley Wintney 1-0 last night by the way!

-----------------------------------------------

Commons motion to get more people watching non-league footie... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20078528

Royalist

by Royalist » 25 Oct 2012 17:21

For the quality of football i am not sure Non league is value for money really. You only have to look at when windsor had that free gate v Egham loads of people came in so clearly the price is an issue even at this low a level. Considering a lot of players at Combined counties level play pub football on Sunday it's crazy to charge to watch them! Higher up i see Mansfield are charging 15 quid for an FA Cup game with Slough as that is is their normal price! 15 quid for a conference game???! :roll: So to pretend non league is value for money is £3.50 pie in the sky! People are not just going to ditch their emotional connection with a club for the sake of a cheaper inferior product and Pro clubs know that. It's not like buying store branded food in a supermarket it's more emotional and social than that!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Oct 2012 19:56

Again, I just don't understand you.

You go to non league football so presumably you must, on some level, consider it VFM. You wouldn't go otherwise.

The football isn't as good but that doesn't matter a jot to me. It's just a game of football for goodness sake where the objectives are the same whatever the level, except you tend not to get a bunch of prima donna millionaires playing a game that is, after all, the working man's game.

I get great enjoyment out of watching Windsor.

It's on the doorstep, which helps.

It's free to park within 30 yards of the turnstiles which helps.

I can pay on the day which helps.

I can invite a friend an hour before kick off knowing he'll be able to get in, which helps.

I can smoke a cigar whilst watching the game which helps.

I don't have to sit / stand next to any pissed up abusive wakner or constantly moaning tosspot if I don't want to which helps.

I can have a chat with the Chairman of the club, the players, the manager if I so desire, which helps.

I could carry on but for me, supporting Windsor FC >>>> Reading FC.

Warfield Royal

by Warfield Royal » 25 Oct 2012 20:04

Royalist You only have to look at when windsor had that free gate v Egham loads of people came in so clearly the price is an issue even at this low a level.

It will be free entry for Ascot United v Wantage in the Berks & Bucks Senior Trophy on Tuesday 30 October, 7:45 KO. Judging by the numbers who usually turn up after half-time it could be a good crowd from the off.

Royalist

by Royalist » 25 Oct 2012 20:30

I'm thinking of it more as if i was a newcomer to NL rather than my own position. 6 quid to watch Sunday league footballers in a smarter kit and better ground cannot be seen as value for money if you are a genuinely tight git!!

And yes quite often people get into games at Half time when the gates are open. I know for a fact Windsor and Eton used to let a few known people come in early for free and they'd not leave the bar until after half time! Money lost on gate money was gained on money over the bar and fruit machine! :mrgreen: Wasn't it Ascot at home in the FA Cup tie broadcast on facebook and packed out in ground? Was there any real long term gain?

Warfield Royal

by Warfield Royal » 25 Oct 2012 21:03

Royalist Wasn't it Ascot at home in the FA Cup tie broadcast on facebook and packed out in ground? Was there any real long term gain?

The attendance that night was 1149 which was just one short of the ground capacity. The long term gain would be if just one or two became regular supporters of the club but I'm not sure if that happened. Still the biggest and best burger I have ever tasted and I had 2 myself.

Occasionally someone in the club suggests an initiative to attempt to drum up some new support hence the free entry for Tuesday night. Probably futile.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Oct 2012 21:11

Royalist, you really do come out with some stuff. :lol: You say "a lot" but in reality very few CCL players also play on a Sunday.

And the vast majority of Sunday pub football is far inferior to CCL.

Royalist

by Royalist » 25 Oct 2012 21:20

Going by what family and friends who plays Sunday league Rother rather than your survey on the ccl forum with 3 replies 2 of which suggest teams full of CCL players! :wink: Of course not every player does. I am just speaking how i see it you seem to be very defensive when i'm just saying what i find. You seem to have a chip on your shoulder about me and it's dominating this page so i'll just keep my thoughts to myself from now on and let you live in your happy ignorance.

Picks up ball and goes in for dinner. :roll:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Oct 2012 21:37

You've said it before and I've asked around previously as I was fascinated at the idea - but in fact people I've asked have scoffed at the notion of playing on Saturdays then turning out for a pub team on a Sunday. One or 2 yes, but "a lot"? No way.

I'm not defensive in the slightest I just detest ill-informed disrespectful generalised nonsense so yes, I do find myself taking issue with a lot of what you post.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 Oct 2012 21:56

....you dont say..............

10515 posts