The Non - League thread

10442 posts
bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The Non - League thread

by bcubed » 19 May 2019 18:15

I think 40k plus is about the norm
Certainly was last year when I went.
Although it's the total for both vase and trophy so there's probably not that number all at the same time. Either way it's impressive.

Fylde win it 1 - 0

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 25 May 2019 12:27

AthleticoSpizz Congrats to Chertsey Town on their 3-1 FA Vase victory at Wembley versus Cray Valley

FoC, if you can flesh things out a bit......crowd sizes etc.......it’d be very much appreciated...and THANKS and RESPECT for another year of maintaining my favourite HNA thread.....cheers and happy hopping!

Indeed ... well done the 'Curfews' - big bout of CBA-ness dissuaded me from schlepping up to Wemberlee this year - though was drawn by the presence of Chertsey - conversely I wasn't at all inspired by either of the Trophy Finalists - one Northern; one 'on-loan' to the National League.

As requested by my loyal readers - 8) Some stuff on the bones revealed so far (unashamedly lifted from NLM :mrgreen: )

Vase:
Final

Sunday 19th May 2019

Winners £30,000; Losers £20,000

Chertsey Town 3, Cray Valley (Paper Mills) 1 after extra time (1-1 at 90 minutes)
(Sam Flegg 39, Jake Baxter pen 105+1, Quincy Rowe 117; Gavin Tomlin 36)

Chertsey Town
1 Nick Jupp, 3 Mason Welch-Turner, 4 Kevin Maclaren(c), 5 Michael Peacock, 6 Quincy Rowe, 7 Lubomir Guentchev, 9 Jake Baxter, 10 Sam Murphy, 11 Dale Binns, 14 Lewis Driver, 18 Sam Flegg

Substitutes
8 Dave Taylor for Maclaren 79, 17 Andy Crossley for Driver 83, 2 Lewis Jackson for Binns 97, 12 John Pomroy for Baxter 118

Substitutes not used
13 Lewis Gallifent, 15 Michael Kinsella, 16 Danny Bennell

Manager
Dave Anderson

Cray Valley (Paper Mills)
1 Andy Walker(c), 3 Danny Smith, 4 Liam Hickey, 5 Ashley Sains, 6 Cem Tumkaya, 7 Anthony Edgar, 8 Paul Semakula, 9 Gavin Tomlin, 10 Kevin Lisbie, 11 Ryan Flack, 23 Denzel Gayle

Substitutes
18 Josh James for Flack 72, 27 Francis Babalola for Lisbie 100, 2 Brad Potter for Tumkaya 106, 33 Calum Willock for Sains 111

Substitutes not used
21 Deren Ibrahim, 12 Tyler Myers, 29 Lea Dawson

Manager
Kevin Watson

Referee: Ross Joyce (Cleveland, North Yorkshire)
Assistant: Rob Smith (Stevenage, Hertfordshire)
Assistant: Matthew Lee (Birmingham, West Midlands)
Fourth Official: Thomas Bramall (Sheffield, South Yorkshire)

Attendance
42,962 (jointly with F.A. Trophy)

...and the equivalent blurb for the Trophy:

Final

Sunday 19th May 2019

Winners £60,000; Losers £30,000

A.F.C. Fylde 1; Leyton Orient 0
(Danny Rowe 60)

A.F.C. Fylde
1 Jay Lynch, 3 Zaine Francis-Angol, 4 Neill Byrne(c), 5 Jordan Tunnicliffe, 6 Andy Bond, 8 Ryan Croasdale, 9 Danny Rowe, 10 Danny Philliskirk, 16 Arlen Birch, 27 Nick Haughton, 30 Alex Reid

Substitutes
21 Tom Brewitt for Byrne 12, 18 Timi Odusina for Haughton 74, 11 Tom Crawford for Birch 90

Substitutes not used
13 Russell Griffiths, 7 James Hardy

Manager
Dave Challinor

Leyton Orient
1 Dean Brill, 3 Joe Widdowson, 6 Josh Coulson, 7 Jobi McAnuff(c), 8 Craig Clay, 9 Macauley Bonne, 15 Daniel Happe, 16 James Brophy, 19 Josh Koroma, 21 Marvin Ekpiteta, 23 Jamie Turley

Substitutes
10 Jordan Maguire-Drew for Turley 46, 18 Matt Harrold for Happe 68, 22 Charlie Lee for McAnuff 78

Substitutes not used
24 Sam Sargeant, 2 Sam Ling

Manager
Justin Edinburgh

Referee: Andrew Madley (Huddersfield, West Yorkshire)
Assistant: Nick Hopton (Derby, Derbyshire)
Assistant: Akil Howson (Leicester, Leicestershire)
Fourth Official: Matt Donohoe (Stockport, Cheshire)

...managed to catch most of the first match on the sofa - gave my 'Anorak' a late seasonal airing in the grandly named Champion of Champions Cup that morning at Barlow's Park ....Tadley - see you were impressed until that last bit! :lol:

This is a one-off game between the winners of the respective Saturday and Sunday leagues in the Basingstoke & District leagues.

The Sunday outfit Republic of Chineham :P edged it 1-0 over TwentyTen.

Will try and knock-together an 'ups and downs' summary in the next couple of weeks or so .... when the promotion - grading - geographical/constitutional allocation - demotion etc embroilments (?) have almost sorted themselves out.

Managed to (just) hit the 100 plus NL milestone again this season, without too much barrel-scraping in May. Notched 37 new 'ticks' which is half a doz. up on the previous season and a bit down on the one before.

Thanks for watching ...... :D
Last edited by Four Of Clubs on 27 May 2019 17:09, edited 1 time in total.

Rea Ding

by Rea Ding » 27 May 2019 12:32

Gateshead kicked out of NL.

Does this mean a repreive for Aldershot and Ox City move back to NLS ??

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 May 2019 14:04

Rea Ding Gateshead kicked out of NL.

Would all depend on the outcome of their appeal but Aldershot are first in line for any repreive. It is thought that if Gateshead do successfully appeal, they will likely still be demoted to the NLN . if so would imagine either Oxford City or Gloucester will be moved back south.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 27 May 2019 17:23

Several potential 'knock ons' relating to this ... and I've not seen that Ebbsfleet are out of the woods yet either :?

National Constitutions will be confirmed on June 8th but currently Gloucs & OCFC have initially been placed North and seem to have accepted their relocation and are recruiting squads based upon this.

... lower down there are a number of enforced sideways shifts and crossovers from Isthmian to Southern all of which clouds the positioning of our recently promoted from STEP05 clubs locally.

Immediate changes underway closer to home, are Ascot shifting over to the CCLP; Horley moving to the Southern Combination; Risborough coming in to the Hellenic One East -with Marlow Utd promoted to the same section.

One West is even more piebald - gaining four clubs from the Hereford area - and then promptly losing one of these back again (Westfields) who had a good run in the FA Cup a couple of years back.

Shortwood United (of down the hill from FGR) make a return to the Hellenic too having spent a traumatic first term back at STEP05 in the Western Premier.

..... plenty more to follow - NL starts again early August.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 May 2019 18:28

Stranded

Would all depend on the outcome of their appeal but Aldershot are first in line for any repreive. It is thought that if Gateshead do successfully appeal, they will likely still be demoted to the NLN . if so would imagine either Oxford City or Gloucester will be moved back south.

Not necessarily, presumably if the NL set the precedent of reprieving Aldershot then they should reprieve Truro then the SL should reprieve Basingstoke and so on.

From what I’ve seen though I’m not sure anyone knows what is actually going on at Gateshead

The latest in the saga being

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/f ... t-16338419

Does anyone in here know more?

Linden Jones

by Linden Jones » 29 May 2019 10:45

Sutekh
Stranded

Not necessarily, presumably if the NL set the precedent of reprieving Aldershot then they should reprieve Truro then the SL should reprieve Basingstoke and so on.

From what I’ve seen though I’m not sure anyone knows what is actually going on at Gateshead

They were being run with some success by a local couple. However this required significant subsidy to maintain a top half NL team. This is mainly due to the fact that they play in the International Athletics Stadium built by Brendan Foster. Council owned so rent payable and high matchday costs due to local licensing regs. Catch 22 is its not the best place to watch football so crowds are relatively low for the level especially with so many decent local non league options. Add to that their location in a national division with many overnight trips required for their southern trips. Nevertheless in Steve Watson they had a upcoming manager who had built a decent team with realistic pretensions of football league status. In 2018 the Bennetts decided they could no longer continue subsidising the club so put it up for sale debt free at the end of last season.
No immediate takers but an interim budget was agreed, they released their ft squad and recruited local players. At the start of this season a takeover deal was agreed with Singapore businessman Ranjan Varghese although he appears to have been a front man for Joseph Cala who has a history of financial mismanagement in football.
Cash flooded in but this did not tally with the budget lodged with the league and eventually a transfer embargo was put in place in December. This led to Watson taking the York job but the team continued to challenge for the play offs with Mike Williamson in defence. By March the council said they would be evicting the club from the stadium due to unpaid rent. As the season finished the manager, players, and non playing staff were all sacked having not been paid for the last month.
To meet a league deadline last Wednesday a takeover was announced although with 24 hours Varghese was reinstalled as chairman and the league withdrew their licence.
All very sad and to be honest with no ground, no manager, no players and no income I can only see them following their league forebears and folding...

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 May 2019 11:11

Linden Jones
Sutekh
Stranded

They were being run with some success by a local couple. However this required significant subsidy to maintain a top half NL team. This is mainly due to the fact that they play in the International Athletics Stadium built by Brendan Foster. Council owned so rent payable and high matchday costs due to local licensing regs. Catch 22 is its not the best place to watch football so crowds are relatively low for the level especially with so many decent local non league options. Add to that their location in a national division with many overnight trips required for their southern trips. Nevertheless in Steve Watson they had a upcoming manager who had built a decent team with realistic pretensions of football league status. In 2018 the Bennetts decided they could no longer continue subsidising the club so put it up for sale debt free at the end of last season.
No immediate takers but an interim budget was agreed, they released their ft squad and recruited local players. At the start of this season a takeover deal was agreed with Singapore businessman Ranjan Varghese although he appears to have been a front man for Joseph Cala who has a history of financial mismanagement in football.
Cash flooded in but this did not tally with the budget lodged with the league and eventually a transfer embargo was put in place in December. This led to Watson taking the York job but the team continued to challenge for the play offs with Mike Williamson in defence. By March the council said they would be evicting the club from the stadium due to unpaid rent. As the season finished the manager, players, and non playing staff were all sacked having not been paid for the last month.
To meet a league deadline last Wednesday a takeover was announced although with 24 hours Varghese was reinstalled as chairman and the league withdrew their licence.
All very sad and to be honest with no ground, no manager, no players and no income I can only see them following their league forebears and folding...

Thanks for the informative summary. Sad to see another club in this position.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Jun 2019 19:21

Following ‘contract talk’ break-downs, Bracknell's 31 goal striker Liam Ferdinand has left the club, on our books once wasn't he?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 Jun 2019 08:54

AthleticoSpizz Following ‘contract talk’ break-downs, Bracknell's 31 goal striker Liam Ferdinand has left the club, on our books once wasn't he?

Where did you get the 'contract talks' bit from? I'd assumed it was more a case of him looking to move up a level or two after a couple of very successful seasons.

Bracknell have had a lot of last seasons squad move on with the arrival of the new manager. I wouldn't have put any of that movement down to Bracknell not offering enough cash though.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 03 Jun 2019 09:16

The Non League Paper, Hoops

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 08 Jun 2019 12:27

Aldershot get National League reprieve.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Jun 2019 08:05

Royal Rother Aldershot get National League reprieve.

Oxford City moved back to National League South.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 11 Jun 2019 12:51

Reading City finished 2nd bottom in the Hellenic League but seem to have kept their place. Anyone know what happended there?

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 11 Jun 2019 13:02

If anyone is interested, I managed to complete a game in ever round of the FA Vase this season. Really enjoyed getting to some places I wouldn't normally bother with. Took a pretty random approach to game selection. Malmesbury & Bournemouth were my favourite venues, Shepshed play at Butthole Lane :lol:

1QR: Chippenham Park 0-4 Bitton
2QR: Malesbury Victoria 3-1 Virginia Water
1R: Bournemouth 6-0 Newquay
2R: Pagham 4-1 Peacehaven & Telscombe
3R: Shepshed Dynamo 3-0 NKF Burbage
4R: Chertsey Town 5-0 St Austell
4R: Biggleswade 1-0 Stowmarket
5R: Sholing 3-1 Sporting Khalsa
6R: Canterbuty City 2-1 Biggleswade
SF1: Cray Valley (PM) 1-0 Canterbuty City
SF2: Chertsey Town 0-0 (AET) Northwich Victoria
F: Chertsey Town 3-1 (AET) Cray Valley

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Jun 2019 15:15

Let's hope someone reminds Bracknell to enter the FA Cup this season.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Jun 2019 17:38

Tony Le Mesmer Reading City finished 2nd bottom in the Hellenic League but seem to have kept their place. Anyone know what happended there?

It should be a 20 team league with 2 relegated.

They finished 18th so it shouldn't really be a relegation spot. I believe they were waiting a while for confirmation though.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 12 Jun 2019 09:19

Hoop Blah
Tony Le Mesmer Reading City finished 2nd bottom in the Hellenic League but seem to have kept their place. Anyone know what happended there?

It should be a 20 team league with 2 relegated.

They finished 18th so it shouldn't really be a relegation spot. I believe they were waiting a while for confirmation though.

Im sure it used to be 4 down, with 2 up from each of div 1 east & west. But I guess the reduced size of the div 1's means they've cut promotion places.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Jun 2019 11:19

Tony Le Mesmer Im sure it used to be 4 down, with 2 up from each of div 1 east & west. But I guess the reduced size of the div 1's means they've cut promotion places.

It might've been, and would make some sense from a Hellenic point of view but I think it may have just changed for this season because of the FA's plans. They stipulated that all Step 5s would be 2 down (that's how I understand it and how FiB reported it last year).

https://www.footballinbracknell.co.uk/news/football-news/34416/hellenic-league-premier-relegate-two/

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 16 Jun 2019 12:49

...Hellenic was always constitutionally FOUR up FOUR down - with the two regional (West/East) Step 06 Division One's promoting their top two.

However a few factors almost invariably scotched that - including:

i) lack of facilities/grading for the potential promotees - in days of yore some of the candidates' grounds were little more than a rope surround in a public park

ii) Premier division being potentially reduced by no side coming down from STEP04 division - assuming the champions that year did opt for promotion - the rules were far more relaxed and in full control of the League rather than the FA. Refuse these days and you get dropped into STEP06 automatically.

iii) Rules about groundshares were tightened up to prevent sides at i) arranging 'lodgings' at short notice for the sake of promotion - this impacted on sides such as Marlow Utd/Chalfont Wasps/Old Woodstock/Bicester and many others - who eventually had to drop down - and in some cases out altogether as they were not progressing the requisite grading works at their proper 'home' grounds.

Some have /are progressing improvements and are now flourishing. Royal Wootton Bassett are a good example of this, though tbf their previous ground in the town wasn't too far short of grading - just had insufficient 'run-off' areas surrounding the pitch for the 'suits' to give them a tick.
Mind you they turned a blind eye to a few others in similar positions: - Fairford for one - sprinting down the touchline in front of the clubhouse to put in a cross there, could get you a faceful of kitchen window, should the cook decide to open it and chuck out some dodgy pies!!! :lol:

Locally Lowther Rd (Wok 'n Emm) is showing major signs of uplift; the cabling for lights was commenced end of last season and now some big shiny Pylons have gone up. Haven't seen it confirmed they'll be available for use right at the start of the season but if not, with certification in place, should not be long - seeing them back in the borough I think for the first time since they played there & Cantley Pk back at the end of the 2000's?

Perhaps of more concern, are the effects of the latest changes to the pyramid structure for STEP07.
- They (the FA) are trying to create a proper pyramid shape - eg a structure of 1-2-4-8-16 etc with divisions of 20 clubs @ 05 fed by divisions of 16 (minimum) from 06.
- They have also issued an edict that STEP05 Leagues cannot have two tiers below them within their constitution - so no feeder STEP07's outside of the County FAs.

This now effectively cuts off the Hellenic Div Two's non-reserve/development sides from the pyramid: - not sure what it means for the Spartan South Mids Div 2.
A number of clubs moved recently from County Leagues into the lower structure of the Hellenic; presumably with a view to making a natural progression up to STEP05 - but that route has now been blocked.
Quite surprisingly a few clubs have even been (provisionally) 'shipped in ' to the STEP06 divisions, from outside of the Hellenic footprint - four from the West Midlands League - some that are based around the Hereford area - including the returning Pegasus Juniors.

There is still a bit of re-settlement ongoing which I'll cover in a 'pre-season change summary' later in the month.

10442 posts