The Non - League thread

10547 posts
Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Non - League thread 2013/14

by Terminal Boardom » 03 Aug 2014 10:39

Whyteleafe is in a very pretty location about a ten minute walk from the nearest station and with a well appointed clubhouse that serves real ale :D

As for Windsor yesterday, no new kit and a muffled announcement about them being available next weekend. Why doesn't the club put something on the website or tell the Supporters Club wtf is going on. As for the game, 3 shit match officials and 2 shit teams. Windsor's formation was a joke with the only recognised striker playing on the right wing. We are not Barcelona or the like so 433 is utterly pointless. Defensively we were solid but I reckon our Under 10s could have defended well against Spelthorne. The only goal came from the oldest move in the history of football. So frigging basic but we screw up every time. Corner played beyond the back post and nodded back across for their player to score easily. Exactly how South Park scored against us 3 years ago to the weekend. At least I won the golden goal 8)

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Aug 2014 10:57

The announcement re the shirts wasn't muffled in the slightest. And was made twice.

You may have been in the bar the first time it was made.

What KS should have done, knowing how let down people feel, is, at the very least to personally email everyone who has paid for them and explained the situation and apologised - but better still have sought them out at the ground and done same.

Royalist

by Royalist » 03 Aug 2014 11:57

I personally would not give that club any money in advance whatsoever. The only ££ they will get is gate money. I simply have no trust in the place anymore!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Aug 2014 13:21

Why?

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Non - League thread 2014/15

by Four Of Clubs » 03 Aug 2014 14:50

Terminal Boardom
As for Windsor yesterday, no new kit and a muffled announcement about them being available next weekend.
As for the game, 3 shit match officials and 2 shit teams.

... The only goal came from the oldest move in the history of football. Corner played beyond the back post and nodded back across for their player to score easily.

... drove through a few hefty downpours to Stag Meadow yesterday PM - was my easiest option (other than Eversley but I didn't rate the chances of staying dry there - minimal cover round the ground.)

... just a few (neutral :wink: ) observations. Firstly on TBs report:

... "muffled announcement" - I only heard the one re new Kit arriving later this week. (may well have been in the bar for the 2nd one - probably waiting behind TB to shift himself out of the way once he'd been served :) ) The one I heard was on 30', 1st half - during the roughly 10' break in play for the injury to Dennison. Thought he'd slid into the CB who also went down for a while but his reaction and a few onlookers - as well as the website report - suggested it might have been studs up from the forward? Besides I was over the far side at that point so didn't have a clear view.
Anywhose - the PA was a tad ropey and I expect a fair number couldn't be bothered to pay close attention, as a good amount of his announcements were bordering on puerile blather.

..."2 shit teams" - don't fully agree here - Spelly have an admirable unbeaten league record going back to May 2013 - and the season before they were STEP07. I thought their no 5 was classy - pulled all the strings from the back and never looked flustered up against some fast attacking play - which regularly got down the flanks. The right back was pretty solid too and wasn't phased by Lucas's (?) trickery. As you said home side lined up with nothing at the pointy end where it mattered - time and again the central defenders recovered to clear or intervene to prevent a shot.
Don't recall the Spelly keeper being too troubled until very late on. Red card for Laz was just plain daft - OK he was miffed at having the goal chalked off - and from where I stood over to the side (I was loitering nearer to the exit by then 8) ) , it did look as if there had been a few elbows/arms waving around the keeper - but to launch himself from that distance away so wide out - contact or not - was only ever going produce a dismissal.
Spelly were certainly robust but the two Windsor CBs were dishing it out too - and too full of verbals to get the ref's sympathy - warranted or not. Going forward the visitors looked more than equipped for this division - the lad Staples got 31 in Div One last season.

..."Corner played beyond etc etc" - agreed the defensive capabilities against a fairly common move were wanting - Spelly keeper made sure he came for everything but then his CBs weren't of the towering lump variety on show down the other end. Skipper (Ellis) was doubly at fault for witlessly slicing the ball across his own goal to concede a needless corner in the first place. Probably why he 'lost it' a couple of times soon after.

Nice to have draught something in the bar too: - and Windsor need to pick themselves up sharpish ready for Baggy Lea on Tuesday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Results from elsewhere yesterday:

Saturday 2nd August

Combined Counties League Premier
Ashford Town (Middx) 1-2 Cove
Badshot Lea 1-1 Bedfont Sports
Farnham Town 0-2 Epsom & Ewell
Hanworth Villa 3-1 Guildford City
Hartley Wintney 1-0 Colliers Wood United
Horley Town 2-2 Frimley Green
Knaphill 0-6 Camberley Town
Mole Valley SCR 4-0 Westfield
Raynes Park Vale 2-1 Chertsey Town
Windsor 0-1 Spelthorne Sports
Combined Counties League Division One
Alton Town 2-2 Worcester Park
Banstead Athletic 1-0 Cobham
Bedfont & Feltham 1-0 Sheerwater
Chessington & Hook United 2-3 AFC Croydon Athletic
Eversley & California 2-0 CB Hounslow United
Farleigh Rovers 1-1 Ash United
Sandhurst Town 1-0 Staines Lammas
WESSEX Premier
Bemerton Heath Harlequins 1-1 Petersfield Town
Blackfield & Langley 2-1 Andover Town
Fareham Town 1-2 Whitchurch United
Winchester City {SEVEN} 7-0 Bournemouth

Pre-season Friendlies
AFC Aldermaston 1-6 Hythe & Dibden
Abingdon United 0-1 Carterton Town
Aldershot 0-3 AFC Wimbledon
Ardley United 1-2 North Leigh
Basingstoke Town 1-2 Woking
Binfield FC 4-3 Beaconfield SYCOB
Bracknell 3-2 Penn & Tylers
Burnham 1-4 Maidenhead United
Chalfont Wasps 2-2 Amersham Town
Didcot Town 1-2 Hungerford Town
Ealing Town 2-3 Edgware
Flackwell Heath 3-0 Marlow
Fleet Town 0-1 Hampton & Richmond
Godalming Town 3-0 Horsham
Grendon Rangers 1-0 Highfield
Hayes & Yeading United 0-2 St. Neots
Henley Town 1-1 Tadley Calleva
Highworth Town 2-2 Swindon Supermarine
Leatherhead 3-3 Slough Town
Malmesbury Vics 1-4 Corsham Town
Marlborough Town 2-2 Wootton Bassett Town
Milton United 2-1 Dorchester
Purton 0-0 Wantage Town
Reading Town v FC Romania (Essex League) - no result on either club site yet?
Thame Utd 0-1 Aylesbury Utd
Uxbridge 2-1 Hayes & Yeading United XI
14:00 Woodcote / Stoke Row v Wokingham & Emmbrook – rained OFF !

[NB MODS --COUGH! COUGH! Thread title: "Non - League thread 2014/15" - please ????]

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Aug 2014 17:02

Windsor's skipper is Adam Kirby, not Chris Ellis.

The PA is the Chairman - no-one else wants to do it.

Still, at least we have a PA, one of only a handful in the League who do.

Oh, the worst bit of the day (including everything football related) was his music. WTF???

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 03 Aug 2014 20:11

Royal Rother Windsor's skipper is Adam Kirby, not Chris Ellis.

The PA is the Chairman - no-one else wants to do it.

Still, at least we have a PA, one of only a handful in the League who do.

Oh, the worst bit of the day (including everything football related) was his music. WTF???

...yeah sorry about the Capt thing - it was the No 4 wearing the armband - couldn't make it which one it was in the team photo sponsor programme thingy -didn't spot Kirby at the bottom? :oops:

I rarely seek out a team sheet and wasn't sure the numbers corresponded with the line-ups at the back anyway - probably as TB mooted - all sorts of odd formations being tried?

His report was somewhat echoed by someone on the NLM forum too; some fellah 'hopping' down from Northampton spouting 'Cobblers' :mrgreen: much along the lines of the '2 shit teams' view above - plus usual stuff like poor advert for the league etc etc - I may take issue with him on a couple of points. I actually didn't think the game was all that bad from a cerebral/tactical/analytical point of view .. but then I'm an auld obtuse b&$t&rd! 8)

PS he didn't like the bird-sh!t in the stands either! :lol:

Royalist

by Royalist » 03 Aug 2014 21:26

Royal Rother Why?

Vice chairman was a long time co partner of the defunct Windsor and Eton. Thats my reason for not having any trust when it comes to money. OTT? Maybe. But better safe than sorry.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 04 Aug 2014 14:07

But he resigned years before the demise of W&E didn't he and before the overspending of the Keith Scott regime really kicked in?

Bit harsh to land that one on him.

Royalist

by Royalist » 04 Aug 2014 19:23

Nope he was there when there was plenty of ex wycombe players coming into the team etc.

It'll be a true rebirth of a football club when someone comes and takes it over from him, not knocking him for all the time and effort he DOES put in though! Got to be bonkers to do so and every single owner/behind the scenes person at a non league club possibly doesn't deserve any criticism as i DO think they are mostly trying their best.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 04 Aug 2014 19:54

Royalist Nope he was there when there was plenty of ex wycombe players coming into the team etc.

It'll be a true rebirth of a football club when someone comes and takes it over from him, not knocking him for all the time and effort he DOES put in though! Got to be bonkers to do so and every single owner/behind the scenes person at a non league club possibly doesn't deserve any criticism as i DO think they are mostly trying their best.

But at that point Simpson and Stott were funding the club. When Stott resigned it would appear Simpson didn't inject anywhere near sufficient to keep the club going but he didn't reduce the costs. So he just stopped paying anybody, hence the years of unpaid tax.

I was a supporter of W&E for circa 3 years before the demise and I'm pretty sure Stott wasn't around at all during that time.

Anyway, we have another game Tuesday night... at least the floodlights stay on these days. Hoping for better than Saturday that's for sure!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 04 Aug 2014 20:00

Ah Jeez, we went through all this stuff 3 years ago, I really don't want to do it again, so I will STFU now.

Royalist

by Royalist » 04 Aug 2014 20:47

Yes its got a bit Windsor heavy again Sorry everyone!!

I see Maidenhead have got an 'outside' sponsor in Maidenhead Advertiser. Is it just the one local paper over there as i suspect if the express/observer did a deal with a local club the other paper would be looking to dish dirt on the club or be unhappy with photos etc.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 06 Aug 2014 09:34

Good start to the season for Chertsey in the CCL. Got spanked 9-0 at home to Molesey last night :shock:

Christof

by Christof » 06 Aug 2014 10:29

The Hereford United saga rumbles on, with them not being granted a safety certificate.

HEREFORD United have still failed to be granted a safety certificate for their Edgar Street ground - four days before the start of the season. Club bosses met with Herefordshire Council this afternoon in a bid to get clearance to allow spectators to watch United's home matches. Yesterday, Hereford United's new chairman Andy Lonsdale told the Hereford Times the club had done 'all they could' to satisfy criteria for a new safety certificate for the stadium. And United have cancelled a home friendly against Herefordshire minnows Sinkums, scheduled for tomorrow night, due to 'unforeseen circumstances'.

Today, the council was not satisfied that all the safety requirements have been met, and has adjourned the meeting until Thursday, just 48 hours before the club is due to entertain St Neots Town at Edgar Street. "Unfortunately, the council, police and fire service are not satisfied that all of the necessary statutory requirements have been met or that all of the relevant paperwork is in place," said Mike Pigrem, head of trading standards and licensing.
"However, we are working closely with the club's newly appointed safety consultants as well as club representatives, in order to try and resolve the outstanding issues."
The club postponed their pre-season photo-call with the local media which had been scheduled to take place at Edgar Street at 3pm today. The photo-call was arranged last week but was cancelled two hours before it was due to take place. Chairman Andy Lonsdale said some of United's players were not at the club and they would not make it to the ground in time for a team photograph.

Can't see them playing St Neots at the weekend, and also unlikely that Slough will be going there on Tuesday night. Meanwhile, the Supporters Trust have been arranging friendlies and getting good attendances - hopefully they can keep the council on board, be assigned the lease for the ground, and the 'owners' of HUFC will realise that their game is up and go away...

Royalist

by Royalist » 06 Aug 2014 11:14

Well it could be worse. Here is the latest coming out of Salisbury!

http://www.blackmorevale.co.uk/Salisbur ... story.html

dizzynewheights
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Waitin at a red light, Kentucky Fried Chicken in, Low End Theory tape in, bass crazy kicking in

by dizzynewheights » 06 Aug 2014 12:22

Whoever wrote that statement sounds like a terrible whiny chav lacking any kind of professionalism. Best off without them I reckon :idea:

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 06 Aug 2014 14:41

Royalist Well it could be worse.

Indeed, linked from that same page.:

"Former AFC Bournemouth, Portsmouth and Millwall star Steve Claridge in line to become next Salisbury City manager"

Royalist

by Royalist » 06 Aug 2014 15:37

Doubt that very much. Its currently unclear who even owns the club. I know i called it when the first press release of a new owner came out but this has been even messier than i expected. A shame. Pretty impressive stand down there

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 08 Aug 2014 11:06

Terminal Boardom Good start to the season for Chertsey in the CCL. Got spanked 9-0 at home to Molesey last night :shock:

Indeed not a great start for the three relegated clubs into the CCL- who admittedly all suffered pretty torrid relegations in 13-14 and barely mustered double figures pointswise until quite late in the season. At least Ashford (Mx) got off the mark in midweek and Guildford have only played one game - odd number of teams in the division due to Eversley's unfortunate demotion on the eve of the new term.

... other scores from around our local sides this midweek -

Comb Counties Prem
Camberley 2-0 Farnham
(Wed) Colliers Wood 0-3 Ashford T (Mx)
Cove 2-1 Hartley Wintney
Chertsey 0-9 {NINE} Molesey
Frimley Gn 1-1 Knaphill
Spelthorne 2-1 Bedfont Sports
Westfield 0-0 Hanworth Villa
Windsor 3-0 Badshot Lea
.. probably easier to highlight the clubs that AREN'T particularly local in this league - ? After 2 games (except for Guildford and Molesey) there are four sides on 6 points - Camberley, Cove, RPV and new boys Spelly. Unsurprisingly, after their 0-9 reverse, the 'Curfews' (crazy nickname!) are bottom.

Wessex Prem
Folland Sports 2-3 Andover Town
Petersfield 1-0 AFC Portchester
(Wed) Whitchurch Utd 3-1 Bemerton Heath - nipped down the A34 for this - pleasant evening at a nice club - not a Real Ale buff as such but they had some interesting selections
Winchester 6-0 Fareham Town

...first two rounds of matches in this league sees 6 clubs on 100% - Winchester out in front with a GD of +13; Lymington 2nd - impressively won both away matches 4-0 - Whitchurch tucked in nicely in 3rd. One of the pre-season favourites Fareham sit bottom with 0.

I actually managed to put a little run together of 5 NL matches on the spin - 8)
Saturday: @ Windsor
Sunday: Jim Newman Memorial Semi-Final: Clanfield (N of Faringdon/Highworth) 5-0 Shrivenham - KO tourney - 8 clubs usually played over a week and a half pre-season - all matches at Clanfield ground - culminating in a Final (last Wednesday won by Wantage Reserves)
Monday: Faringdon Thursday Memorial: 1st round Letcombe 2-4 Supermarine Sports - another pre-season competition - primarily North Berks clubs (16 enter) but others by invitation ie Hellenic, Gloucester Senior, Oxon and Wilts leagues. First two rounds are played in August - but bizarrely the Semi & Final aren't scheduled until April NEXT year! Tuesday nights 'Thameside Derby' (they are virtually on opposite banks) between Saxton Rovers and Abingdon Town , was abandoned due to player injury 1st half - match to be re-arranged - the 2nd round/Quarters are due to be played this midweek but most of the ties will feature Hellenic reserve sides - so my interest has waned somewhat)
Tuesday: Annual Stewards Cup: Henley Town 5-0 Hambleden - yet another Pre-Season (non) Friendly - is an Annual event usually played end July - presumably held up a bit by Cricket this season - watched the corresponding fixture last year at the delightfully appointed Dene in Hambleden and played 'find the barman' in the Stag & Huntsman's bewildering array of bars. Wasn't quite sure where this tie was being played this year - until the wife and I, quite co-incidentally, landed on 'The Dene' following our early morning Balloon Flight on Monday - pitch not marked out, Cricket square being worked on etc - so had an inkling it would be at Mill Lane. :mrgreen:
Wednesday: Whitchurch see above

... might conceivably go for a 'longer sequence' later this month: helps that most of my kids are elsewhere on holiday, so no Dad's Taxis needed this time of year - could start tonight at Fawley and run through to next Wednesday. All depends on whether I have the energy/desire - though I'm not sure there are any decent games on this Sunday - unlike NEXT w/e when the FA Cup starts.

... and here are tomorrow's 'local' matches: (Usual format : clubs marked in BOLD are those I'd consider 'local' - although some straddling the M25 may flip in and out :? and any matches in ITALICS feature Reserve sides - County Cups when they start will probably be in GREEN - and I'm willing to try and feature occasional 'special's' a la Guernsey or Tredder's beloved 'Beavers' a season or so back, then Falmouth - that's if anyone wants to suggest them - not too many Northern/Jocko ones please?? :D )

Saturday 9th August

CONFP
Aldershot Town v Altrincham
Alfreton Town v Woking
CONFS
Basingstoke Town v Hemel Hempstead Town
Boreham Wood v Farnborough
Chelmsford City v Gosport Borough
Concord Rangers v Bath City
Havant & Waterlooville v Bromley
Maidenhead United v Sutton United
Salisbury City v Ebbsfleet United