What do we need in the January Sales?

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

Re: What do we need in the January Sales?

by Simon's Church » 09 Jan 2012 19:50

Just seen that Andy Keogh's loan at leeds ended last week. He's obviously not wanted at Wolves, would he be right for us? I think he's an upgrade on Hunt, he'll win his headers, work the channels and maybe bring the best out of Church or ALF?

robbieroyal

by robbieroyal » 09 Jan 2012 21:52

Barry the bird boggler
Harpers So Solid Crew Sell Bryn, sadly, get that loan fella back to Spurs at any cost. Move M Williams out permanantly, and Howard and B Williams. Possibly even move Tabby on as well.

Only sign a striker if we lose one from Church.Hunt. Mansett.

CB we have cover with Morrison, use him or lose him.

Get Ugwu into the playing side of things, his record is outstanding from what I can see.

Pearce is 1 booking away from a 1 game ban so we may get to see Morrison or Kumalo in the team before xmas....

Haven't Yellow cards been wiped now as we turn into a new year!??

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 09 Jan 2012 22:34

robbieroyal
Barry the bird boggler
Harpers So Solid Crew Sell Bryn, sadly, get that loan fella back to Spurs at any cost. Move M Williams out permanantly, and Howard and B Williams. Possibly even move Tabby on as well.

Only sign a striker if we lose one from Church.Hunt. Mansett.

CB we have cover with Morrison, use him or lose him.

Get Ugwu into the playing side of things, his record is outstanding from what I can see.

Pearce is 1 booking away from a 1 game ban so we may get to see Morrison or Kumalo in the team before xmas....

Yes.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 10 Jan 2012 08:23

Kitson12
robbieroyal
Barry the bird boggler Pearce is 1 booking away from a 1 game ban so we may get to see Morrison or Kumalo in the team before xmas....

Yes.

Are they "wiped" or just the number needed to get a suspension increases? I thought it was the latter.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 10 Jan 2012 09:09

Believe the number of bookings is increased to 10 now so we're well off that figure for any players.

Incidentally I think Reading are doing quite well in terms of discipline this season, anyone got any stats as regards current discipline ratings across all teams in the divisions?

1871 Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by 1871 Royal » 10 Jan 2012 11:00

Barry the bird boggler Believe the number of bookings is increased to 10 now so we're well off that figure for any players.

Incidentally I think Reading are doing quite well in terms of discipline this season, anyone got any stats as regards current discipline ratings across all teams in the divisions?

Not across all divisions but here are the Championship stats

http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/ClubDiscipline/0,,10794~20117,00.html

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 10 Jan 2012 11:25

the absolute priority for me is to find somebody to compliment ALF. Its obvious to me the bloke has class, just needs the right partner.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 10 Jan 2012 11:36

Simon's Church Just seen that Andy Keogh's loan at leeds ended last week. He's obviously not wanted at Wolves, would he be right for us? I think he's an upgrade on Hunt, he'll win his headers, work the channels and maybe bring the best out of Church or ALF?

I've always quite liked him and he's looked decent enough when I've seen him recently.

He'd be about the right level for us, but he isn't going to bang in a hell of a lot of goals. I'd still swap him for Manset, Church or Hunt though (perhaps not Hunt if he was capable of 40 games a season).

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 10 Jan 2012 12:56

Focher the absolute priority for me is to find somebody to compliment ALF. Its obvious to me the bloke has class, just needs the right partner.

I feel the same, but for the other striker: for me the priority is somebody to play alongside Church. It is only possible playing as the lone striker if there are five midfield players to compensate. Church needs some company up front.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 10 Jan 2012 14:01

Handsome Man
Focher the absolute priority for me is to find somebody to compliment ALF. Its obvious to me the bloke has class, just needs the right partner.

It is only possible playing as the lone striker if there are five midfield players to compensate.

Er, I think that's kinda the idea??

Basingstoke Royal

by Basingstoke Royal » 10 Jan 2012 14:22

Totally agree. He is not allowed to do what he does best because he does not have any support from Church. Just listening to the comments on the Royals Post podcast and totally agree with the comments about Church.

Our best strike partnership is ALF and Hunt, but we need a new striker. I would be happy with someone like Jason Roberts to honest - not the best, but some experience at least.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 10 Jan 2012 15:26

Extended-Phenotype
Handsome Man

It is only possible playing as the lone striker if there are five midfield players to compensate.

He's been having to play the lone striker for the last few games while Le Fondre has struggled.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 10 Jan 2012 16:41

Oh, I getcha. You are saying it's like he's been playing as a lone striker, because ALF hasn't supported him.

I geddit. It's bollox, but I geddit.

Basingstoke Royal

by Basingstoke Royal » 10 Jan 2012 17:41

Handsome Man
Extended-Phenotype
Handsome Man It is only possible playing as the lone striker if there are five midfield players to compensate.

He's been having to play the lone striker for the last few games while Le Fondre has struggled.

He's been having to play the lone striker for the last few games while Le Fondre has struggled.[/quote]

Got to laugh at this!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Playing with church is like playing with 10 men.

Listen to the podcast - those guys know what they are talking about.

I particularly like this quote from the podcast: “international footballer, young, welsh, no first touch, cant head a ball, no goalscoring threat what so ever”

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 10 Jan 2012 18:15

Le Fondre has struggled. I don't know if you've noticed this BR but he hasn't scored in 12 games in fact he hasn't looked like scoring in that time.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 10 Jan 2012 18:22

sandman Le Fondre has struggled. I don't know if you've noticed this BR but he hasn't scored in 12 games in fact he hasn't looked like scoring in that time.

:roll:

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 10 Jan 2012 18:53

^
Roll your eyes all you want those are the facts and those who see the villification of Church for what it is will keep repeating it until you sycophantic luddites get the message.

I know ALF's one of the favourites and we're all supposed to fall into line like sheep, praise him and demonise Church but hey I'm a Reading fan so I'll stand up for the underdog. Church has scored more goals and works with the same supply line yet he still gets dogs abuse from pathetic parasites with generic LoyalRoyal usernames like you. Let's hope that the oh so wise denizens of Hob Nob don't wish ALF's career away with what could have beens like they've done with others.

ALF has the potential to be a good player for us but at this level he needs more than the attributes he relied upon on in league 2. We don't need to work to his strengths he needs to work on his weaknesses.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 10 Jan 2012 19:06

sandman ^
Roll your eyes all you want those are the facts and those who see the villification of Church for what it is will keep repeating it until you sycophantic luddites get the message.

I know ALF's one of the favourites and we're all supposed to fall into line like sheep, praise him and demonise Church but hey I'm a Reading fan so I'll stand up for the underdog. Church has scored more goals and works with the same supply line yet he still gets dogs abuse from pathetic parasites with generic LoyalRoyal usernames like you. Let's hope that the oh so wise denizens of Hob Nob don't wish ALF's career away with what could have beens like they've done with others.

ALF has the potential to be a good player for us but at this level he needs more than the attributes he relied upon on in league 2. We don't need to work to his strengths he needs to work on his weaknesses.

Agreed. Loyalroyalfan also thinks we play attractive passing football on the deck this season, I wouldn't worry about his silly faces.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 10 Jan 2012 20:05

People can use the 'lack of service' excuse all they like with Le Fondre but the reality is that he's not done enough with (of without) the ball when he has had it. He's been too easy to mark out of the game and as pointed out his scoring record isn't looking too hot right now. He's only scored once in his last 14 appearances, which even in our side is poor.

That's struggling and it's why he's not made himself our first choice forward yet.

He had a couple of very good games early on but since probably the Southampton game he hasn't got involved enough.

Basingstoke Royal

by Basingstoke Royal » 10 Jan 2012 20:43

I cannot see what Church offers. Others might but I cant see it.

Pace?
Strength?
Finishing?
Hold up play?
Effort?

What has he got? Yes he scored a handful of goals but they dropped on a plate for him or just hit (apart from the Leeds goal).

The goals that ALF has scored this season have been a different class to anything Church could ever serve up. If he had a partner that worked harder and helped in the build up it would let ALF get in the position to score more goals. Him and Hunt would be first choice for me at the moment, but we need a new striker with experience to partner ALF ideally.

Church is his own worst enemy because he could be a much better player if he did the basic things:

Keeping his eye on the ball and try to head it rather than jumping into the player or backing in looking for a foul.
Walking or at best jogging back to get back onside. so many times he is offside when he shouldnt be.
Coming to get the ball and fighting hard to win it.
Put away clear cut chances.