What do we need in the January Sales?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: What do we need in the January Sales?

by Ian Royal » 10 Jan 2012 23:24

Hoop Blah People can use the 'lack of service' excuse all they like with Le Fondre but the reality is that he's not done enough with (of without) the ball when he has had it. He's been too easy to mark out of the game and as pointed out his scoring record isn't looking too hot right now. He's only scored once in his last 14 appearances, which even in our side is poor.

That's struggling and it's why he's not made himself our first choice forward yet.

He had a couple of very good games early on but since probably the Southampton game he hasn't got involved enough.

Taking into account assists he's still pretty much our most successfully creative player though. Although McAnuff may be pushing him after his recent run of goals.

He hasn't been doing as well recently though. I can't help wondering whether his dip has coincided with Mills injury at least partly. We were playing better stuff on the ground just before he lost his place and Le Fondre seems the sort of striker who'll thrive with more short passing and movement to draw defenders around the place.

He's looked a class act when I've seen him play. We just seem to have a selection of strikers who need different partners to the ones available.

Hunt's a tryer without a great deal of skill or finesse, a good scoring record for a second striker, but he's not the main man.
Church has a good all round game but no real outstanding attributes and just can't consistently finish.
Manset isn't fit enough.
ALF isn't dominant enough.

They all drift in and out of games but have the occasional big impact. There's no actual partnership there.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 11 Jan 2012 09:09

Hmmm – you could be right there Ian. He certainly isn’t a ball-winner, which is what you need with longball. I’ve not seen ALF get the ball very often; which he might be partly to blame for – but when he does get it, I’ve been impressed with his vision, skill and goals.

If we had that creative player in the middle, I’ve no doubt ALF would be banging them in.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Jan 2012 10:12

Ian Royal
Hoop Blah People can use the 'lack of service' excuse all they like with Le Fondre but the reality is that he's not done enough with (of without) the ball when he has had it. He's been too easy to mark out of the game and as pointed out his scoring record isn't looking too hot right now. He's only scored once in his last 14 appearances, which even in our side is poor.

That's struggling and it's why he's not made himself our first choice forward yet.

He had a couple of very good games early on but since probably the Southampton game he hasn't got involved enough.

Taking into account assists he's still pretty much our most successfully creative player though. Although McAnuff may be pushing him after his recent run of goals.

He hasn't been doing as well recently though. I can't help wondering whether his dip has coincided with Mills injury at least partly. We were playing better stuff on the ground just before he lost his place and Le Fondre seems the sort of striker who'll thrive with more short passing and movement to draw defenders around the place.

He's looked a class act when I've seen him play. We just seem to have a selection of strikers who need different partners to the ones available.

Hunt's a tryer without a great deal of skill or finesse, a good scoring record for a second striker, but he's not the main man.
Church has a good all round game but no real outstanding attributes and just can't consistently finish.
Manset isn't fit enough.
ALF isn't dominant enough.

They all drift in and out of games but have the occasional big impact. There's no actual partnership there.

He might still be the most creative, but he's still struggling to get in games, and I'd imagine the majority of those assists and certainly his goals, that have him in the top 'creative players' come from his earlier games not more recently.

The impact of Mills not being in the side could be interesting though, he certainly added more width down the left which could well have helped Le Fondre find and make the most of space.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 11 Jan 2012 10:38

Ian Royal Taking into account assists (Le Fondre)'s still pretty much our most successfully creative player though. Although McAnuff may be pushing him after his recent run of goals.

ALF is still well clear IMO and McAnuff is a long-way less productive (doesn't incl Stevenage)

1,437 Minutes 10 Major Contributions one every 144 Minutes 5 Goals 5 Assists ALF (RFC Games)

1,312 Minutes 08 Major Contributions one every 163 Minutes 1 Goals 7 Assists KEBE
1,267 Minutes 07 Major Contributions one every 168 Minutes 6 Goals 1 Assists CHURCH

1,000 Minutes 05 Major Contributions one every 200 Minutes 3 Goals 2 Assists HRK
1,226 Minutes 05 Major Contributions one every 245 Minutes 3 Goals 2 Assists HUNT

2,112 Minutes 08 Major Contributions one every 264 Minutes 4 Goals 4 Assists McAnuff

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 11 Jan 2012 12:19

What counts as a major contribution and who indentifies them?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 11 Jan 2012 13:23

Extended-Phenotype What counts as a major contribution and who indentifies them?

Goals plus assists, EP.... You can see if you look at any single line.

See? 5+5 =10, 1+7 = 8, 6+1 = 7 etc.

McAnuff is lower down because he's played virtually every minute
whereas other players have played fewer minutes for their goals/assists

1,437 Minutes 10 Major Contributions one every 144 Minutes 5 Goals 5 Assists ALF (RFC Games)

1,312 Minutes 08 Major Contributions one every 163 Minutes 1 Goals 7 Assists KEBE
1,267 Minutes 07 Major Contributions one every 168 Minutes 6 Goals 1 Assists CHURCH

1,000 Minutes 05 Major Contributions one every 200 Minutes 3 Goals 2 Assists HRK
1,226 Minutes 05 Major Contributions one every 245 Minutes 3 Goals 2 Assists HUNT

2,112 Minutes 08 Major Contributions one every 264 Minutes 4 Goals 4 Assists McAnuff

I just like to lump goals and assists together as major contributions

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 11 Jan 2012 14:07

Extended-Phenotype Hmmm – you could be right there Ian. He certainly isn’t a ball-winner, which is what you need with longball. I’ve not seen ALF get the ball very often; which he might be partly to blame for – but when he does get it, I’ve been impressed with his vision, skill and goals.

If we had that creative player in the middle, I’ve no doubt ALF would be banging them in.

Yes, i think Ian is onto something. Last time I saw ALF play against Ipswich couple of weeks ago he looked poor and struggled, but I didn't think at the time we were giving him the right kind of service.

Looking at it from a general point of view though it depends on what people's expectations were when he signed. I would've been, and still would be, pleased if he got double figures this season. So on that basis at just past the halfway stage of the season he's doing pretty well imo.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Jan 2012 14:09

surely thats just a shit game.

everyone looked off the pace.

ive seen enough in the games where he and the team play well to see hes got a decent all round game, and is a good finisher and creater

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Jan 2012 14:13

melonhead ive seen enough in the games where he and the team play well to see hes got a decent all round game, and is a good finisher and creater

When was the last one?

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 11 Jan 2012 14:16

melonhead surely thats just a shit game.

everyone looked off the pace.

ive seen enough in the games where he and the team play well to see hes got a decent all round game, and is a good finisher and creater

Maybe, but then Hunt made a massive difference when he came on in that game.

I think every other time i've seen him i've been impressed though. I've been quite happy with his overall contribution this season.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 11 Jan 2012 14:19

Cheers Snowball - my bad.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Jan 2012 14:33

Hoop Blah
melonhead ive seen enough in the games where he and the team play well to see hes got a decent all round game, and is a good finisher and creater

When was the last one?

probably the last time mills played at left back

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Jan 2012 14:37

So you agree that he's been struggling for the best part of two months then?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Jan 2012 14:43

Hoop Blah So you agree that he's been struggling for the best part of two months then?

i think hes probably had a decent game in that time- though im not sure if i disagreed with you when you said it

im happy enough that some players will blow hot and cold, as will the team over a season
like i said- i think ive seen enough to say he'll be decent at this level

you can disagree though

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Jan 2012 14:49

Yep, I agree all players and teams have off days. You just said that Ipswich was a one off bad game.

Just feels like, although he's undoubtedly shown he has the capacity to play well, he's not done a lot of it for us.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Jan 2012 14:50

Hoop Blah Yep, I agree all players and teams have off days. You just said that Ipswich was a one off bad game.

Just feels like, although he's undoubtedly shown he has the capacity to play well, he's not done a lot of it for us.

at that point it was!-since then its developed into a little run of shit

he could certainly have done more

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Jan 2012 14:56

One game later (plus a sub appearance of course) it's become a run?

Fair enough.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Jan 2012 15:15

Hoop Blah One game later (plus a sub appearance of course) it's become a run?

Fair enough.

A-i was talking about the team as a whole
A.1- i said little run
A.2 if you include the second half of brighton, and the cup game, its 3.5 games
A.3 i already said he could have done more
A.4 all i did say is that ive seen enough to make me think hell do ok at this level, regardless of when it was

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 12 Jan 2012 10:58

ALF may be suffering from a lack of confidence, which wouldn't be a surprise given his barren goalscoring run lately.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 12 Jan 2012 11:06

KC Royal ALF may be suffering from a lack of confidence, which wouldn't be a surprise given his barren goalscoring run lately.

Probably from lack of supply from midfield. But Don’t worry. McD and co will have solved that and his confidence issue by signing another striker.