Speculation - Kevin Doyle

299 posts
USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Speculation - Kevin Doyle

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 06 Dec 2012 16:34

if somehow we got longy back he would probably top that list of returning players. wba wont let him leave though :(

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 06 Dec 2012 17:09

bracksroyal10
Mike Hunt
bracksroyal10 Would rather Doyle than knowing he is proved he can perform in the PL before rather than some league 1 striker top of the goalscoring charts or some unknown foreigner.

Though this isn't going to happen end of. There are very few who return and live up to their previous expectations after being away for 4/5 years.

I do know that you said very few, but Shorey is playing the best he has in years back with us :)

Thats one of few I would agree with he has been a breath of fresh air since being back.

There are actually no players that spring to mind instantly when I think about other teams apart from Kenny Miller who eventually came back to Rangers and did quite well. There is no one I can think of from the PL however.

Defoe ;) But you are correct. They are few and far between.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 06 Dec 2012 18:08

maffff
Doyle ready for Premier League return

Kevin Doyle is reportedly on Brian McDermott’s Christmas list.

The Irishman fears that his detachment from the Premier League could influence his dismissal from future international squads and is eager to make the jump back up to the topflight, something that the Reading gaffer is rubbing his hands at.

We are lucky to have a snippet of Brian McDermott’s Christmas list: ‘Dear Santa,

I know that I have tested your patience at times this year with my prolonged interviews and terrible football clichés but I am writing to you to make you aware of my Christmas wishes.

I need a forward that is willing to run, fight and continuously give his all for the the shirt on his back and preferably a player that knows the ins and outs of the club. He needs to be strong and willing to defend but also have an eye for goal to fit into my squad of determined individuals.

I would like him to have Premier League experience and also a good handful of appearances at international level to help us endure this painful fight to stay in the topflight. How about Kevin doyle?

Failing that, I could do with a toupee…

All my love, Brian.’

http://www.footballfriendsonline.com/go ... eturn.html?

Please no!

Too many injuries, lack of pace and no better than anything we have at the moment (excluding Church of course. We're all better than him.)

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 07 Dec 2012 03:14

LoyalRoyalFan
USA_Loyal_Royal god NO NO NO. please do not let kevin doyle come back. reading legend and all, but since he went to the wolves his form is utter shit.

Get a grip.

Stop being so picky.

Look at our other striking options, Doyle would be a good addition. We need more strikers and Doyler would play with his usual fine work rate and dedication for the club.

Agreed. Right now we need a couple, to a few, players who have shown they can play at a PL level. Doyle would fit the bill. I'd prefer we get an attacking midfielder (i.e. Joe Cole or Gylfi on a loan deal) but getting Doyle back would do nothing but help us.

Plus most people in UR&G scoffed at the idea of Shorey being able to come back and do a job for us, and who is arguably our best player right now...

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 07 Dec 2012 07:59

Thought Doyle was their best player at the end of last season and every time he came on he looked like he could turn the game around

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Dec 2012 15:04

Doyle's no good in a shit team and that's exactly what we are at the moment. I don't see him really working very well with anyone other than Hunt either.

Don't know how many games he's played this season, but he's only scored 5 goals and those came from three matches.

Doyle is a case of never go back as far as I'm concerned. He's proved he just isn't a good bet as a goalscorer for a team in trouble and goes long periods without scoring much at all.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 07 Dec 2012 15:45

Ian Royal Doyle's no good in a shit team and that's exactly what we are at the moment. I don't see him really working very well with anyone other than Hunt either.

Don't know how many games he's played this season, but he's only scored 5 goals and those came from three matches.

Doyle is a case of never go back as far as I'm concerned. He's proved he just isn't a good bet as a goalscorer for a team in trouble and goes long periods without scoring much at all.

Dear Ian,

You're wrong again

Signed,

Everyone else x

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Dec 2012 18:00

pea
Ian Royal Doyle's no good in a shit team and that's exactly what we are at the moment. I don't see him really working very well with anyone other than Hunt either.

Dear Ian,

You're wrong again

Signed,

Everyone else x

Doyle
2011/12 - 33 league apps - 4 goals
2010/11 - 26 league apps - 5 goals
2009/10 - 34 league apps - 9 goals
2007/08 - 36 league apps - 6 goals.

16 December 2007 - 10 May 2008 - 0 goals
1 December 2008 - 9 May 2009 - 3 goals
26 December 2009 - 24 April 2010 - 2 goals
26 September 2010 - 8 January 2011 - 1 goal
26 October 2011 - 13 May 2012 - 2 goals

Yes, his record in a struggling team is awesome, and he's not regularly had huge barren swathes at all. I take it back, our relegation rivals will be terrified of him signing for us.

Dear pea.

Evidence would suggest not.

Love
Ian

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 07 Dec 2012 18:26

USA_Loyal_Royal if somehow we got longy back he would probably top that list of returning players. wba wont let him leave though :(

I can see Long going to a bigger club soon, not back to a smaller one. :cry:

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 07 Dec 2012 18:32

Doyle's record isn't very good.

He's got to be more worried about being replaced at Wolves than getting back into the premiership.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 08 Dec 2012 01:20

Since when have goals been a problem, or has a strikers game been only about scoring? Doyle is a player who can change a game and change the outcome, showed that last season for Wolves and for Ireland. Would much rather have him as an option on the bench than just throwing on Pogrebnyak and lumping it up to him. He worked best for us because of how we play and I don't see any reason we he couldn't be just as effective in this current squad as he was in his prime.

We're not going to stay up by signing a prolific goalscorer, teams keep clubs up in this league and not individuals, and we're unlikely to ever be able to afford/attract the kind of goalscorer we'd need. But we might stand a chance if we sign players who understand the club, fit with the way we play, have the experience to make the sensible decisions when we're looking to keep a lead, put in a shift at both ends of the field and aren't selfish but bring others into play and work their socks off for the team and take pride in wearing our hoops. Doyle has all of that.

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 08 Dec 2012 02:00

Handsome Man Doyle's record isn't very good.

He's got to be more worried about being replaced at Wolves than getting back into the premiership.

i agree.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 08 Dec 2012 02:46

pea Since when have goals been a problem, or has a strikers game been only about scoring? Doyle is a player who can change a game and change the outcome, showed that last season for Wolves and for Ireland. Would much rather have him as an option on the bench than just throwing on Pogrebnyak and lumping it up to him. He worked best for us because of how we play and I don't see any reason we he couldn't be just as effective in this current squad as he was in his prime.

We're not going to stay up by signing a prolific goalscorer, teams keep clubs up in this league and not individuals, and we're unlikely to ever be able to afford/attract the kind of goalscorer we'd need. But we might stand a chance if we sign players who understand the club, fit with the way we play, have the experience to make the sensible decisions when we're looking to keep a lead, put in a shift at both ends of the field and aren't selfish but bring others into play and work their socks off for the team and take pride in wearing our hoops. Doyle has all of that.

Didn't read all this, but judging by the lengthy paragraphs, assuming it's some kind period enduced rant.

Buffett

by Buffett » 08 Dec 2012 02:55

Doyle would be a great signing for us; clearly an upgrade on Pog.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 08 Dec 2012 08:30

Don't need strikers we need class midfielders and right back

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Dec 2012 10:41

Pepe the Horseman
pea Since when have goals been a problem, or has a strikers game been only about scoring? Doyle is a player who can change a game and change the outcome, showed that last season for Wolves and for Ireland. Would much rather have him as an option on the bench than just throwing on Pogrebnyak and lumping it up to him. He worked best for us because of how we play and I don't see any reason we he couldn't be just as effective in this current squad as he was in his prime.

Didn't read all this, but judging by the lengthy paragraphs, assuming it's some kind period enduced rant.

:lol:

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 08 Dec 2012 12:44

Buffett Doyle would be a great signing for us; clearly an upgrade on Pog.

Please entertain us with how he is an upgrade on Pogrebnyak, who is a proven striker at this level and has played at the highest level in Europe as well, as well as winning the Uefa Cup with Zenit.

He looked a real handful and scored a good return for Fulham last season during his short loan spell, but then finds himself at Reading in a system that clearly doesn't suit him or a number of other players.

under the tin

by under the tin » 08 Dec 2012 13:13

SPARTA
Buffett Doyle would be a great signing for us; clearly an upgrade on Pog.

Please entertain us with how he is an upgrade on Pogrebnyak, who is a proven striker at this level and has played at the highest level in Europe as well, as well as winning the Uefa Cup with Zenit.

He looked a real handful and scored a good return for Fulham last season during his short loan spell, but then finds himself at Reading in a system that clearly doesn't suit him or a number of other players.

To be fair, your comments actually strengthen the argument that Doyle is an upgrade.
It hinges on whether you think that McDermott will change the system to suit Pog et al, or whether you think that he will change the personnel, and bring in people like Doyle, and persevere with the system that has got the club here. I know what I reckon is more likely.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Dec 2012 14:06

Spending millions on Doyle when we have a gaping hole in midfield and a dodgy defence is another reason why this isn't a good idea, on top of the fact that Doyle isn't actually any good at scoring in a struggling team.

299 posts