Harry Maguire

GH Royal

Re: Harry Maguire

by GH Royal » 10 Sep 2014 11:42

Wimb
GH Royal [quote="TBM]
Teams are picked to win games, surely?!......When fit, Ferdinand will be at the back with Pearce - we can then send the likes of Cooper out on loan to gain first team experience (which is better than him getting 8mins off the bench for us) - we then take someone like Maguire in on loan, as that cover that Cooper leaves space for.[/quote]

Thats a fair point. But in all fairness Cooper hasnt looked completely out of space when he's made his little cameos, he's sufficient cover for Hector I believe. I don't feel we really need a CB unless it was on a perm to be picked ahead of Hector or Ferdinand. For a loan I'd rather put the wages towards getting in a striker or left winger.[/quote][/quote]

Cooper has looked OK but do you really want to throw a young centre back into the grind of the Championship without any real experience? What happens if he gets torn apart by a Nakhi Wells and loses his confidence? I'm not against using him as a stop gap but relying on him to be the backup if we have a significant injury crisis is asking for trouble.[/quote]

As a 4th choice I dont think he's too much of a risk. In my opinion we have sufficient cover at CB and next to none at left wing. Obita should always be played as left back, and Taylor doesnt impact the game enough when played there, largely helped by playing Cummings at LB but still... Blackman works best when cutting in from the right, I guess McCleary could play LW with Blackman RW but then we'd have two inverted wingers and be relying too much on the LB and RB for width. Basically we need a left winger :lol:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Sep 2014 17:35

TBM
Nameless
TBM
He wouldn't be 5th choice though

He's got more experience than Hector and Cooper

That isn't how teams are picked though...

It would be plain wrong to bring in a 21 year old who can't get a game for Hull and play him ahead of Hector and even Cooper who have both shown they are capable at this level and have along term future at the club. Unless he is an England player in the making why would we give a Hull reserve experience above our own players of similar age and ability ?

Teams are picked to win games, surely?!......When fit, Ferdinand will be at the back with Pearce - we can then send the likes of Cooper out on loan to gain first team experience (which is better than him getting 8mins off the bench for us) - we then take someone like Maguire in on loan, as that cover that Cooper leaves space for.

Better to have a long term plan in place for winning games than focus on the immediate games. Especially when we're unlikely to achieve much of note this season, but could do next or the one after.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 11 Sep 2014 00:33

Ian Royal
TBM
Teams are picked to win games, surely?!......When fit, Ferdinand will be at the back with Pearce - we can then send the likes of Cooper out on loan to gain first team experience (which is better than him getting 8mins off the bench for us) - we then take someone like Maguire in on loan, as that cover that Cooper leaves space for.

Better to have a long term plan in place for winning games than focus on the immediate games. Especially when we're unlikely to achieve much of note this season, but could do next or the one after.

So you agree sending Cooper out on loan to gain first team experience without costing us, is the best option.

Worked with Morro

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 11 Sep 2014 13:17

Other than that first 45 minutes with the U21s against Swindon(?) has Ferdinand played any other football? I'm not sure he's anywhere near, and not convinced he ever will be.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 Sep 2014 14:03

Can anyone shed any light on the whereabouts of Pierce Sweeney or is he just further down the pecking list? He was being touted as 4th choice not long ago and I can't be arsed to trawl through the injured thread.

GH Royal

by GH Royal » 11 Sep 2014 14:15

From Despair To Where? Can anyone shed any light on the whereabouts of Pierce Sweeney or is he just further down the pecking list? He was being touted as 4th choice not long ago and I can't be arsed to trawl through the injured thread.

With the under 21's but recovering from quite a nasty broken nose I believe, he's quite short for a CB to be honest though.. Without height advantage a young CB would get rolled over by the physicality of the championship I'd say

Yellowcoat

by Yellowcoat » 11 Sep 2014 16:13

Sweeney came on as a second half substitute for Ireland U21 in their recent defeat by Germany so obviously coming back from his injury.

GH Royal

by GH Royal » 11 Sep 2014 16:16

Fair play, it is a broken nose after all, doesnt take long to recover. Put the Batman mask on and you're good to go! 8)

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 18 Sep 2014 11:17

Get some pussy from the Batman.

RoyalAuzzie

by RoyalAuzzie » 10 Jan 2015 22:22

Heard from a reliable source we are getting this guy on loan from Hull till the end of the season.

Hasn't been in their squad recently - young, decent defender, thoughts?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 11 Jan 2015 13:23

RoyalAuzzie Heard from a reliable source we are getting this guy on loan from Hull till the end of the season.

I'll just quote myself from 4 months ago.
tidus_mi2 From a little research, seems he was a regular for the last few seasons for Sheffield United, bought by Hull and made 0 appearances so far, I'm not convinced, a 21 year old with 0 Championship experience with our already youthful defence.

Only difference now is he's made a whopping 2 apperences.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 11 Jan 2015 13:35

RoyalAuzzie Heard from a reliable source we are getting this guy on loan from Hull till the end of the season.

Anything is better than Hector.

Bob1871

by Bob1871 » 11 Jan 2015 15:48

sandman

I really don't get the anti Hector posters. He is in his first full season playing for us, yes he wasn't at his best yesterday but he did his job again in helping the team achieve a consecutive clean sheet. When Sonko came into the team all those years ago, a lot of people questioned his ability in his first season and he went to become one of our best CB's!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Jan 2015 15:58

tidus_mi2 From a little research, seems he was a regular for the last few seasons for Sheffield United, bought by Hull and made 0 appearances so far, I'm not convinced, a 21 year old with 0 Championship experience with our already youthful defence.

This is wrong, he does have Championship experience albeit limited to 4.5 apps for Sheffield United when they got regulated in 2011. Apparently he won MotM on his debut v Cardiff and he only came on at half time....

After that he earned rave reviews week in and week out with Sheffield United (including player any young player of the season awards) prompting Hull to part with 2.5 million last July, pipping Wolves to his signature.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Jan 2015 20:35

Bob1871 I really don't get the anti Hector posters. He is in his first full season playing for us, yes he wasn't at his best yesterday but he did his job again in helping the team achieve a consecutive clean sheet. When Sonko came into the team all those years ago, a lot of people questioned his ability in his first season and he went to become one of our best CB's!

I really don't think it's anti-Hector. I think he gets a pretty easy ride and there's been a lot of positivity about his involvement since it looked like he was coming back from Aberdeen.

The problem we have is that he should really be our third centre half and coming to cover or challenge Pearce and AN Other. Depending on how you look at it he either isn't quite good enough at this level (yet, perhaps) or he hasn't played enough games as a centre half to be a main stay of the back four of a side that wants to be in and around the play offs.

He's had some very good moments this season but generally he looks like he's playing at the limit of his ability. He gets pulled around by forwards too much and he tries to be too cute too often for a reliable Championship defender of his ability. In a well organised side who are happy to sit around lower/middle of the table then he's probably just about cutting it. He, and the club, will hopefully benefit from our limited options between now and the summer and we'll see if he's any chance of improving to the level we need him to be if we're to push on under Clarke.

As for Maguire. I've not seen much of him. In the position we're in I'd rather not be taking another clubs young centre half on loan when we have Hector who needs to sink or swim. If we can get in a more experienced player, like we did with Gorkss, then yes please, but another youngster to keep Hector out seems a bit pointless.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Jan 2015 22:07

Bob1871
sandman

I really don't get the anti Hector posters. He is in his first full season playing for us, yes he wasn't at his best yesterday but he did his job again in helping the team achieve a consecutive clean sheet. When Sonko came into the team all those years ago, a lot of people questioned his ability in his first season and he went to become one of our best CB's!

sandman just likes to slate people he thinks that those who don't like his favourites overrate.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 11 Jan 2015 22:59

Hector just isn't a first choice Championship centre back. Nothing to do with him being an overrated "favourite" of others.

you're a fine one to talk on that count Ian. Two names, Garath McCleary and Jobi McAnuff.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 11 Jan 2015 23:11

With respect, Ferdinand is an injury prone "never-was", (surely you all remember the 6-0 caning we gave the Sham when he was at the heart of their "defence"?). I serioulsy doubt he will ever make more than a handful of apps for us.

Jake Cooper, who I have a lot of time for, is very inexperienced, BUT will come good given time, NOT being thrown in at the deep end. Hector and Pearce both have confidence problems, so Maguire is not such an bad option as many are suggesting.

I am perhaps biased, with an inside track into Hull City, but he does come recommended by Hulls former 1st team sports scientist. (The one that helped get them into the PL BTW).

Assuming he does't bust our wage structure, he'd be a far better bet than Ferdinand. In fact, if he does join us on loan, I would wager he starts more games between now and the EoS than the ex-Sham does. Talk about sticking one's neck on the line! :oops:

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 11 Jan 2015 23:33

Yes please to partner Pearce, hector as backup with Ferdinand shown door in summer

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Jan 2015 08:56

I actually think Ferdinand is a decent defender but if he's never fit, he's no use.

Considering he was being paraded round Police United last summer, he has all the makings of a signing made by the owners.