Rumour-Potless

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Rumour-Potless

by Reading4eva » 23 Aug 2015 20:01

I'm pleased we aren't going mad and spending silly amounts. A lot of clubs like Bolton, like Blackburn etc have gone and spent tons and have ended up with nothing from it but a huge debt issue

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 23 Aug 2015 20:02

I'm pleased we aren't going mad and spending silly amounts. A lot of clubs like Bolton, like Blackburn etc have gone and spent tons and have ended up with nothing from it but a huge debt issue

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 23 Aug 2015 22:47

Za Vas said:
Not sure where The Capster got the quotes from

Capster :lol: Lovin' that bruv. As for source, look under Matej Vydra post on getreading site. All speculation, I guess, until the window closes. So who do you think we'll get in then?

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 23 Aug 2015 23:19

I am sorry but the fact we are in an over-inflated transfer window says it all, I am sure ANY Reading fan would be happy with the acquisitions so far in this transfer window and IF we do still have money to spend on a striker Clarke is having to bide his time to find the right one, Beric would be a very good acquisition for the money touted with real pedigree, an eye for a goal and a good age. If not Beric then someone else has to fit the mould that Clarke is after. I for one as been really impressed with Sa, who is quickly showing the ability to hold up the ball, skill at his feet and the ability to create opportunities for others with intelligent passing and moving. wheat we really need is the poacher/pacey striker to play off the shoulder of the last defender. the fact is that if a striker has those qualities and a good scoring record then the fees quoted are in excess of 5 million....which does seem to be out of our price range. so we look further afield and possible troll the Loan market.

even if we do not sign the striker needed, the threat created from the pace wide when players come back will create chances.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 23 Aug 2015 23:20

Let's hope I am back to this thread in a few days with an embarrassing GIF for the OP.

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 23 Aug 2015 23:22

Reading4eva I'm pleased we aren't going mad and spending silly amounts. A lot of clubs like Bolton, like Blackburn etc have gone and spent tons and have ended up with nothing from it but a huge debt issue

MASSIVE +1

Za Vas

by Za Vas » 23 Aug 2015 23:24

The Cap
Za Vas Not sure where The Capster got the quotes from

Capster :lol: Lovin' that bruv. As for source, look under Matej Vydra post on getreading site. All speculation, I guess, until the window closes. So who do you think we'll get in then?

:?

I'm guessing you stopped reading at that point? What I'm saying is that the two quotes you put together somewhat misrepresent what Clarke has actually said, especially by leaving out the reference to Andre Grey.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 23 Aug 2015 23:36

Drew_3 My father audibly asked Mr Clarke when we would be signing a striker at today's game. To which Clarke was kind enough to pull his pocket inside out in an effort to show we neither have a pot to piss in nor a window to throw it out of.

So no new signings any time soon it would seem.

Are you sure he didn't also have his cock out and was just doing "the elephant"?

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 23 Aug 2015 23:38

paultheroyal Let's hope I am back to this thread in a few days with an embarrassing GIF for the OP.

This sort of bellend is the reason I stopped using hob nob for a long time.

At no point did I say Clarke is a oxf*rd or anything of the sort, at no point did I criticise the running of the club nor did I say I was unhappy with the signings we have made already.

All I did was post what I thought was actually quite an interesting exchange. Most managers would have let the comment wash right over them and done nothing. The fact Clarke chose to signal a reply of sorts would indicate to me he is no one's fool i.e he'd love to sign a striker but it is out of his hands so don't blame him if no one comes through the door between now and the end of the window.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Aug 2015 00:07

All PR did was say he hoped you were wrong.....

If you post something like you did you have to accept others may interpret it differently. You've read an awful lot into one gesture which was probably light hearted. I agree it was quite amusing, but I'd be amazed if Clark was actually trying to make some profound comment on either the state of the team or the backing he's received from the owners.
I think we all know we need a striker, that strikers are stupidly expensive, and that while we're in a better place financially than we were a year ago we are not going to go all Bristol City.
I hope Clark/ Hammond et al carry on with doing what they seem to be doing - building a decent squad by being canny and persuasive rather than just flashing cash they don't have.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 24 Aug 2015 08:00

The Cap “But you could say that about every striker. They are all going to be difficult for us to get because every other club has more money than us.”

“Eight players I’ve brought in with a net spend of under £2 million. This is the reality. We have to find something, almost from nothing."

These latest quotes from Stevie C. would seem to substantiate the current theory being bandied about. And just when we thought Roy of the Rovers was about to arrive as the missing piece of the jigsaw :lol:

I love the guys honesty, but I fear it will eventually bite him in the bum. That or he'll grow frustrated and walk.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 24 Aug 2015 10:55

Drew_3
paultheroyal Let's hope I am back to this thread in a few days with an embarrassing GIF for the OP.

This sort of bellend is the reason I stopped using hob nob for a long time.

At no point did I say Clarke is a oxf*rd or anything of the sort, at no point did I criticise the running of the club nor did I say I was unhappy with the signings we have made already.

All I did was post what I thought was actually quite an interesting exchange. Most managers would have let the comment wash right over them and done nothing. The fact Clarke chose to signal a reply of sorts would indicate to me he is no one's fool i.e he'd love to sign a striker but it is out of his hands so don't blame him if no one comes through the door between now and the end of the window.

Gee whizz - sensitive!

If that's your reply to an innocuous light hearted post I suggest you stay away from these boards a little longer.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 24 Aug 2015 12:11

Ian Royal
The Cap “But you could say that about every striker. They are all going to be difficult for us to get because every other club has more money than us.”

“Eight players I’ve brought in with a net spend of under £2 million. This is the reality. We have to find something, almost from nothing."

These latest quotes from Stevie C. would seem to substantiate the current theory being bandied about. And just when we thought Roy of the Rovers was about to arrive as the missing piece of the jigsaw :lol:

If he's genuinely said that he can oxf*rd right off.

:|

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 24 Aug 2015 15:06

So..... Sassy says we are looking everywhere (yet get linked with prem rejects) saying money is no consideration, now SC says we are broke?

Do you think we've been getting quoted ridiculous prices because of the Thais earlier openness to discuss what they're after and SC is trying to do a bit of damage control?

Unless we were counting on selling one or two for a few mil each I don't understand how we've gone from one extreme to the other so quickly.

Rollerbob

by Rollerbob » 24 Aug 2015 15:26

Sassy said money was no consideration?? Really? :-|

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 24 Aug 2015 15:47

Rollerbob Sassy said money was no consideration?? Really? :-|

Yeah she said it wasn't an issue after we were heavily linked with Beric and Donaldson.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 24 Aug 2015 16:05

that is actually true

but we already know she is a nut job

Rollerbob

by Rollerbob » 24 Aug 2015 16:10

Interesting.

Likely to be her way of saying we'll pay a sensible amount for a good player.

Not sure I buy Clarke's "we don't have any money" soundbites, but like he said the other day, we don't have millions and millions. I reckon there is a pot of about £3 million max. Here's hoping someone comes in for Cox and/or HRK - that'll free up any extra funds we might need.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 24 Aug 2015 16:33

^ think that's a mostly fair assumption. I don't think anyone will come in for HRK and co, and if they did it would be a deadline day panic buy leaving us little to no time to get someone in on a permanent.

We obviously don't have the funds lauded about to get a 1 in 2 striker at this level, £9m for Gray, £12-15m for Rhodes and I'm completely happy with that. Those figures are astronomical. Id much rather look at league 1 for something similar to Callim Wilson, less so league 2.

Looking abroad is great but you run the risk of them not adapting to the English game but there's always a risk in any transfer.

allwite

by allwite » 24 Aug 2015 17:20

Rollerbob Interesting.

Likely to be her way of saying we'll pay a sensible amount for a good player.

Not sure I buy Clarke's "we don't have any money" soundbites, but like he said the other day, we don't have millions and millions. I reckon there is a pot of about £3 million max. Here's hoping someone comes in for Cox and/or HRK - that'll free up any extra funds we might need.

+1

Why with 8 days to go in the window would the club come out and say we have money to spend??? Every player they went in for the club would just up the value of the player.

Tell them we have limited money and then NH can smash a deal out.