Clarke to sunderland?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Clarke to sunderland?

by Nameless » 04 Oct 2015 12:55

Would be interested to hear how a managerial change window would work.
I don't think it would be practical , possible or necessarily in any one's interests.
Making a club hang on to a failing manager for months would be crazy. You could argue clubs should only be able to appoint managers not already under contract, but then that is effectively the situation now and the bigger clubs always find ways round it.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Oct 2015 15:55

Nameless Would be interested to hear how a managerial change window would work.
I don't think it would be practical , possible or necessarily in any one's interests.
Making a club hang on to a failing manager for months would be crazy. You could argue clubs should only be able to appoint managers not already under contract, but then that is effectively the situation now and the bigger clubs always find ways round it.

Same as with players who are underperforming but can't go anywhere.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 04 Oct 2015 17:19

Surely only people who have never been to Sunderland would consider living and working there?

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 04 Oct 2015 21:18

JIM This topic is as bad as Pulis recommending PARDEW for ENGLAND manager,

Anybody but Hodgson, really.

Hopefully Rodgers will get a go once the Euros embarrassment is out of the way, but Pardew wouldn't be a bad second choice.

Back on topic. I'd be surprised if Steve Clarke was really the man Sunderland wanted.

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 04 Oct 2015 21:26

Jack Celliers

Hopefully Rodgers will get a go once the Euros embarrassment is out of the way, but Pardew wouldn't be a bad second choice.

Back on topic. I'd be surprised if Steve Clarke was really the man Sunderland wanted.

Name me a better english manager than rodgers or parjudas ?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 04 Oct 2015 21:27

Seeing as Rodgers isn't even English, just about anyone.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 04 Oct 2015 21:27

Ian Royal

You appreciate there is a vast difference between carrying an underperforming player in a squad of 30 and being unable to get rid of a discredited, failing, unpopular manager ?
I was just interested in the idea and how it might work. Are you suggesting managers could only be hired and fired in the summer and January ? I can see some attractions, just doubt it would be possible or legal to enforce.

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 05 Oct 2015 12:58

N o idea how accurate this alleged shortlist
is, but perhaps of interest.
http://www.blackcatchat.info/viewtopic. ... 72c7e772d1

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 05 Oct 2015 13:01

I'm not surprised Clarke isn't mentioned, haven't heard him mentioned once except for Fordham and I didn't even read the article because oxf*rd subscribing to the Sun.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 05 Oct 2015 15:38

Snowball
percy_freeman Is there a section for complete and utter bo***cks.....

I think that's called "Anything Else"

fcuk u

snowballs posts more like

eh? eh?!

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 05 Oct 2015 15:38

Nameless Terrible time for anyone to go to Sunderland. Stuck with a bunch of under performing players for 3 months by which time they will probably be well adrift.
You'd be surprised if a manager who has just been allowed to assemble his 'dream team' and is likely to continue getting backing from ambitious owners would be interested in a jump to a team in huge decline, but stranger things happen.
I'd file under 'this is highly unlikely and is a baseless rumour'

I agree generally

but lol at these players being anywhere near clarkes "dream" team

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 Oct 2015 16:32

melonhead
Nameless Terrible time for anyone to go to Sunderland. Stuck with a bunch of under performing players for 3 months by which time they will probably be well adrift.
You'd be surprised if a manager who has just been allowed to assemble his 'dream team' and is likely to continue getting backing from ambitious owners would be interested in a jump to a team in huge decline, but stranger things happen.
I'd file under 'this is highly unlikely and is a baseless rumour'

I agree generally

but lol at these players being anywhere near clarkes "dream" team

Maybe not his ultimate dream team, but given his actual job I'd say he's more than chuffed with the squad he's assembled. In a recent interview he gave a little smile when it the competition for players and quality of depth was mentioned.

We have a crazy good squad for this division and I think he knows it.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Oct 2015 18:17

Nameless
Ian Royal

You appreciate there is a vast difference between carrying an underperforming player in a squad of 30 and being unable to get rid of a discredited, failing, unpopular manager ?
I was just interested in the idea and how it might work. Are you suggesting managers could only be hired and fired in the summer and January ? I can see some attractions, just doubt it would be possible or legal to enforce.

i'm not sure i'd go with vast difference and think probably less than half the manager's who get sacked have actually been discredited.

I was thinking ~ 1 November - 31 December and 1 March - 31 March.

I'll concede it's probably a terrible idea just spat out, but anything to try and stop the ludicrous manager roundabout we have with most clubs now.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 06 Oct 2015 00:15

Someday Clarke will leave...but it will be someplace much farther up the food chain than Sunderland. And part of that process will be getting Reading to the PL to stay. And if at that point he jumps to a CL caliber team it would be understandable.

Right now the best career move imo would be staying here, and continuing to rebuild his reputation after his ill-fated WBA stint, instead being in any way associated with the slow motion wreck known as Sunderland AFC.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 06 Oct 2015 09:59

Libertine Right now the best career move imo would be staying here, and continuing to rebuild his reputation after his ill-fated WBA stint, instead being in any way associated with the slow motion wreck known as Sunderland AFC.

This! Along with Newcastle, it's a disaster he doesn't need on his CV.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 06 Oct 2015 11:11

Jack Celliers

Rodgers shouldn't be getting anywhere near the England job.
id rather have pards

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 06 Oct 2015 11:12

tidus_mi2 I'm not surprised Clarke isn't mentioned, haven't heard him mentioned once except for Fordham and I didn't even read the article because oxf*rd subscribing to the Sun.

mentioned on talksport this morning
alan brazil laughed at the idea of leaving reading for them

Woodley-RFC

by Woodley-RFC » 06 Oct 2015 15:30

melonhead
tidus_mi2 I'm not surprised Clarke isn't mentioned, haven't heard him mentioned once except for Fordham and I didn't even read the article because oxf*rd subscribing to the Sun.

mentioned on talksport this morning
alan brazil laughed at the idea of leaving reading for them

Clarke won't leave reading. my friend told me he and his wife, love it in Berkshire 8)

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Oct 2015 20:36

Libertine Someday Clarke will leave...but it will be someplace much farther up the food chain than Sunderland. And part of that process will be getting Reading to the PL to stay. And if at that point he jumps to a CL caliber team it would be understandable.

Right now the best career move imo would be staying here, and continuing to rebuild his reputation after his ill-fated WBA stint, instead being in any way associated with the slow motion wreck known as Sunderland AFC.

Yeah, but we think about that for every club that might be interested in our manager. Leicester and West Ham previously spring to mind. One in the same division not then doing any better and the other just in the division above and as likely to be relegated as Sunderland currently are.

We're often right, but it won't necessarily stop a manager going.

Ginger Ninjas

by Ginger Ninjas » 07 Oct 2015 14:55

Clarke to Chelsea if/when Mourinho goes?!