RUMOUR - ALAN STUBBS AND GARY ROWETT

Tommio

RUMOUR - ALAN STUBBS AND GARY ROWETT

by Tommio » 06 Dec 2015 16:40

Both on the shortlist. Stubbs' record is unbelievable, albeit in the SPL. Stubbs could be good but would be the cheaper and riskier option. Rowett would be great and was always my first choice. http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... -shortlist

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: RUMOUR - ALAN STUBBS AND GARY ROWETT

by sandman » 06 Dec 2015 16:45

Both are in jobs so that rules them out with our morally superior fans.

RustyRoyal

by RustyRoyal » 06 Dec 2015 16:52

sandman Both are in jobs so that rules them out with our morally superior fans.

You're really cool.

msmivie

by msmivie » 06 Dec 2015 17:21

Re Alan Stubbs. He is Manager of Hibernian isn't he? A team playing in the Scottish Championship against teams like Alloa Athletic, Livingston, Dumbarton, Raith Rovers, Queen of the South etc etc. Has he the pedigree that we are looking for?
And as for Gary Rowett, are we a bigger club than Birmingham City? Not sure about that!

Tommio

by Tommio » 06 Dec 2015 17:30

msmivie Re Alan Stubbs. He is Manager of Hibernian isn't he? A team playing in the Scottish Championship against teams like Alloa Athletic, Livingston, Dumbarton, Raith Rovers, Queen of the South etc etc. Has he the pedigree that we are looking for?
And as for Gary Rowett, are we a bigger club than Birmingham City? Not sure about that!

You're right, I thought Hibs were in the top division. Stubbs is even more underwhelming than I thought then.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 06 Dec 2015 17:45

Birmingham are on as bad a run as we are.

Royal We
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal We » 06 Dec 2015 17:55

msmivie Re Alan Stubbs. He is Manager of Hibernian isn't he? A team playing in the Scottish Championship against teams like Alloa Athletic, Livingston, Dumbarton, Raith Rovers, Queen of the South etc etc. Has he the pedigree that we are looking for?

How dare you disrespect Dumbarton.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 06 Dec 2015 17:55

Pepe the Horseman Birmingham are on as bad a run as we are.

This, and how has Stubbs done an amazing job in the SPL?

Stubbs would be a big mistake.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 06 Dec 2015 18:26

:| :| :| :| :|

If those are the best we can get then, as much as I disliked him, we really shouldn't have sacked Clarke,..

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 06 Dec 2015 19:04

If I was a Brimingham City fan and Rowett requested permission to speak to us, I'd be mightily pissed off. I know their finances are a shambles but are we really that much of a better bet than them?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 06 Dec 2015 19:30

He wouldn't know until he came to talk to us.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Dec 2015 20:22

From Despair To Where?

If I was a Brimingham City fan and Rowett requested permission to speak to us, I'd be mightily pissed off. I know their finances are a shambles but are we really that much of a better bet than them?

TBH, as a Reading fan, I'd be amazed if he talked to us, let alone took the job. And I'd be a little unnerved by someone willing to take such a sideways option. I'd totally sympathise with Brum fans getting furious about it too.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 06 Dec 2015 21:13

Alan Stubbs?

Alan oxf*rd Stubbs???

DEAR GOD NO!!!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Dec 2015 21:15

strap Alan Stubbs?

Alan oxf*rd Stubbs???

DEAR GOD NO!!!

65% win rate is nothing to be sniffed at. Scottish second tier on the other hand...

Y21
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Y21 » 06 Dec 2015 23:00

Ian Royal
strap Alan Stubbs?

Alan oxf*rd Stubbs???

DEAR GOD NO!!!

65% win rate is nothing to be sniffed at. Scottish second tier on the other hand...

Does it matter what level he's managed at? Surely the job is the same whatever level you are at. Get some blokes to play football well, and win games. The main thing that would be different is the size of the ego's you are dealing with. If you get a team winning games of football against other teams in the same division as you, then it means you can do the job, doesn't it?

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 06 Dec 2015 23:24

Royal Rother He wouldn't know until he came to talk to us.

We might offer him something mind blowing.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 06 Dec 2015 23:46

A grim, late November Tuesday evening in Alloa takes grit. That's something i suppose.

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 07 Dec 2015 07:08

We're certainly no smaller than Birmingham. The question is though, why leave them for us? It's like-for-like, and he loves the club!

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 07 Dec 2015 08:59

Ian Royal 65% win rate is nothing to be sniffed at. Scottish second tier on the other hand...

Y21 Does it matter what level he's managed at? Surely the job is the same whatever level you are at. Get some blokes to play football well, and win games. The main thing that would be different is the size of the ego's you are dealing with. If you get a team winning games of football against other teams in the same division as you, then it means you can do the job, doesn't it?

Please gentlemen look at this logically. Do you not think The Scottish Charlatan and Nigel Adkins would have similar win ratios had they been playing the likes of Dumbarton, Falkirk, Alloa, Raith Rovers, Queen of the South et al week in week out? I agree you can only beat the teams in front of you, but Scottish 2nd tier?

Taking your argument to it's logical conclusion, why not ask permission to speak to the guy in charge at Hemsworth Miners Welfare in the Northern Counties Eastern League Division 1? They have a great record of 16 wins in 21 and seem to be walking away with their league.

I'm sure there are even more impressive records in The Reading Sunday League, but you take my point.

Mr Madejski has taken a punt on untried managers before as we know, with, on balance, a good degree of success. However, we now have aspirations somewhat above getting out of the 3rd tier, (the case with FSB and Parjudas), so I would argue someone with a bit more of a track record would be needed for us to progress from where we are currently.

Granted, Adkins and TSC nominally had "good" track records, although TSC had even less games as a manager than Stubbs before he joined us, so was a mistake waiting to happen.

I have no specific names in mind to be fair, but knowing who one doesn't think is suitable, (Colin for e..g.), is a little better than having no idea at all.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 07 Dec 2015 09:53

strap
Ian Royal 65% win rate is nothing to be sniffed at. Scottish second tier on the other hand...

Y21 Does it matter what level he's managed at? Surely the job is the same whatever level you are at. Get some blokes to play football well, and win games. The main thing that would be different is the size of the ego's you are dealing with. If you get a team winning games of football against other teams in the same division as you, then it means you can do the job, doesn't it?

Please gentlemen look at this logically. Do you not think The Scottish Charlatan and Nigel Adkins would have similar win ratios had they been playing the likes of Dumbarton, Falkirk, Alloa, Raith Rovers, Queen of the South et al week in week out? I agree you can only beat the teams in front of you, but Scottish 2nd tier?

Taking your argument to it's logical conclusion, why not ask permission to speak to the guy in charge at Hemsworth Miners Welfare in the Northern Counties Eastern League Division 1? They have a great record of 16 wins in 21 and seem to be walking away with their league.

I'm sure there are even more impressive records in The Reading Sunday League, but you take my point.

Mr Madejski has taken a punt on untried managers before as we know, with, on balance, a good degree of success. However, we now have aspirations somewhat above getting out of the 3rd tier, (the case with FSB and Parjudas), so I would argue someone with a bit more of a track record would be needed for us to progress from where we are currently.

Granted, Adkins and TSC nominally had "good" track records, although TSC had even less games as a manager than Stubbs before he joined us, so was a mistake waiting to happen.

I have no specific names in mind to be fair, but knowing who one doesn't think is suitable, (Colin for e..g.), is a little better than having no idea at all.

Got to start somewhere, Fergie started off at east stirlingshire and then st mirren before going to aberdeen