Comments by Charles Watts on Twitter

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Comments by Charles Watts on Twitter

by Sutekh » 05 May 2016 16:11

maffff I liked it.

I'm still hoping for it to go on Itunes - for charity of course...

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 05 May 2016 17:33

MoorgateRoyal
Longhorn1970
MoorgateRoyal In fairness, he did say it was all rumour and nothing was confirmed. His loyalties as a journo lie with the paper and trying to get the best stories for them, as much as it might annoy the club.

Although, of course, spreading rumours is never good and people will always look to jump on these to destabilise the club.

I don't think it necessarily destabilises the club does it ? The Thais are business people first not football people, their interest was developing the area surrounding the ground for their own gain and keeping operating costs down. They probably also realise the scale of the task on the pitch and are not willing to invest £millions to move the club on. If their business plans have been scuppered then it would make sense to sell and look elsewhere if they can turn a small profit. Bring in someone who does want to invest in the club and show more ambition #good times ...

I probably should have said 'to try to destabilise the club'.

These kinds of rumours never really appear when a club's doing well, so I think people try to jump on any bad feelings and try to make the club look worse (externally, at least).

If you read the transcript from Charles Watts' interview with McDermott, Watts didn't even ask him about the game. He just goes on about the Thais until McDermott stops answering him. Having that in a press conference isn't great, especially with a local journo who should ordinarily have a good relationship with the manager, when there are national press there as well. It doesn't take long to go for the 'club in crisis' headline, as the journos are only there to write their stories and do their best for their papers/careers. The stories then get quoted and reported elsewhere and that's what people are talking about suddenly, regardless of how true it is.

But at the moment this is still only a rumour, and McDermott has said he spoke to one of the owners and is concentrating on football. That's as close as we've got to an official statement so far. The lack of visibility of the Thais, after their appearances at the start of the year, is a little odd, though, and gives rise to the rumours that they want out. They're by no means obliged to say anything, but until they do unfortunately people will make stories out of it.

The Thais are business people, no doubt about it, and I understand their position. However, owning a football club isn't exactly a proven way to make money, and there will always be much more external interest in the goings on at a football club than with a textiles company (for example). As much as they want to make money, they also need to be aware of the allegiances people have with football clubs and the expectations people have of owners. Whether or not that's right or wrong, it's a pretty big factor when buying a club, and not one many owners seem to legislate for.

Watch this space, no smoke without fire ...

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 05 May 2016 17:54

These rumors wouldn't exist if the owners actually took an interest in the club and didn't go 8 months at a time between talking to fans/appearing at games. Why is the manager being asked these questions? Why not Nigel Howe? Why not the owners themselves? That's right, they won't talk to the media/fans.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 05 May 2016 18:13

blueroyals These rumors wouldn't exist if the owners actually took an interest in the club and didn't go 8 months at a time between talking to fans/appearing at games. Why is the manager being asked these questions? Why not Nigel Howe? Why not the owners themselves? That's right, they won't talk to the media/fans.

Still waiting to hear why Terry Burton took off after 3 weeks, he must be thanking his lucky stars ...

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 05 May 2016 19:41

bobby1413 Last night a fan tweeted Charles Watts asking "Any legs in the new takeover rumour"?

He responded:

When asked further questions about it, he said:

The manner in which he has tweeted has seriously pished me off. I don't see it appropriate for him to start saying the owners of the club want out:

If it is true, then surely it's not his place (as an official Reading FC reporter for GetReading) to announce this type of news.

If it isn't true, then it's just inflammatory and potentially damaging.

:shock: :roll:

You said it yourself. The clue is in his job title: 'Reporter' It therefore very much is his place to report what he might have heard. Do you really think that the controller of misinformation at Reading FC should have the sole right to decide what fans hear about?

Thank god not all of our local reporters are completely up the backside of the powers that be at the club. If reporters had toed the club line back in the day of Captain Bob, there might well not have been a club for the Thais to get shot of now.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 May 2016 20:17

Sutekh
maffff I liked it.

I'm still hoping for it to go on Itunes - for charity of course...

My best mate, who has no interest in football, saw it and thinks it's hilarious. He played it to his three year old daughter and she's also a big fan of it.

It manages to be both totally awful and quite endearing at the same time.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 06 May 2016 00:09

Longhorn1970
blueroyals These rumors wouldn't exist if the owners actually took an interest in the club and didn't go 8 months at a time between talking to fans/appearing at games. Why is the manager being asked these questions? Why not Nigel Howe? Why not the owners themselves? That's right, they won't talk to the media/fans.

Still waiting to hear why Terry Burton took off after 3 weeks, he must be thanking his lucky stars ...

He discovered has initiation song was to be they call us the Royals

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 06 May 2016 13:35

RoyalBlue The clue is in his job title: 'Reporter' It therefore very much is his place to report what he might have heard.

So as long as he 'might' have heard something, he should report it??

:lol:

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 06 May 2016 14:20

Winston Smith
RoyalBlue The clue is in his job title: 'Reporter' It therefore very much is his place to report what he might have heard.

So as long as he 'might' have heard something, he should report it??

:lol:

The tweet was in response to someone asking "Any truth in the takeover rumour". His response "Not heard that, more that the thais want rid".

So it wasn't as if he said in a brand new announcement, "hearing unconfirmed rumours this week that the thai owners aren't happy and looking to sell".

I accept the replies on here that it is his job to share this sort of thing and that includes rumours. It's perhaps my own personal issue with the tweet. I will move on now!

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 06 May 2016 16:18

bobby1413 "hearing unconfirmed rumours this week that the thai owners aren't happy and looking to sell"
Could be lost in translation - "The Thai's are not happy with the ticket sales and are looking to sell more."

The Thai's want out..... Could be "The Thai's want of the Championship and into the Premiership"

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 08 May 2016 18:41

I'd have thought that for a reporter to repeat a rumour, he'd want to have some reason to believe there could be some truth in it. Otherwise he'd just risk looking stupid.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 May 2016 19:19

tmesis I'd have thought that for a reporter to repeat a rumour, he'd want to have some reason to believe there could be some truth in it. Otherwise he'd just risk looking stupid.

That's not really how reporting works these days. The tendency is to throw a huge amount of guesses about, because no one remembers any of it after a week. Not saying that's how Watts does things, I'm sure he's heard something, but that could easily be from some plank on twitter looking for attention.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 09 May 2016 10:04

tmesis I'd have thought that for a reporter to repeat a rumour, he'd want to have some reason to believe there could be some truth in it. Otherwise he'd just risk looking stupid.

that's not really how the big newspapers work with their rumours and gossip sections.
just write rumour/gossip all over it and they can then essentially say what they like with no evidence at all.