Stam and punts

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

Stam and punts

by paddy20 » 11 Aug 2017 08:33

No-one can be critical of Stam for what he's done so far but I wonder if his penchant for punts is a little too much?

I am referring to some of the signings he has made so far;

Bond, Gravenberch,Popa,Weiser,Mendes, Meite- last season

And now, - Clement, Barrow, Bodvarsson, Manone and possibly Bacuna?

All have been pretty cheap options and at this stage none from last season have been successful. Are we repeating ourselves this year??

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Stam and punts

by Oilroyal » 11 Aug 2017 08:40

Not sure it was under Stam’s watch, Bond was Clarke, Gravenberch I think McDermott signed and Weiser was always a punt and cant remember if Stam signed him or McDermott.

Clement, Barrow, Bodvarsson, Manone and possibly Bacuna all seem reasonable signings to me. But we really need to add 2 or 3 quality players now

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 11 Aug 2017 08:44

Popa was not a 'punt', the guy is an international with Champions League experience. When he's played he looks useful.
Apart from Clement none of this season's signings are 'punts' and Stam knows Clement well.

Just not sure there is a point here.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 11 Aug 2017 08:46

Pretty much every signing is a "punt". You have an idea how they are going to fit in and perform but until they actually get here and play you just don't know. Look at our record signings from the past, nearly all failed but by your reckoning they were not punts.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 11 Aug 2017 10:22

LOL @ Barrow, Bodvar and Mannone being punts at the fees we paid.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Aug 2017 12:29

paddy20 No-one can be critical of Stam for what he's done so far but I wonder if his penchant for punts is a little too much?

All have been pretty cheap options and at this stage none from last season have been successful. Are we repeating ourselves this year??

This is crazy.
Firstly, Gravenbeast wasn't his signing, he came in under McDermott and secondly, describing Barrow, Mannone, Bacuna and Bodvarsson as punts is bonkers. They're experienced players in this country and at this level or higher.

Cheap does not automatically equal a punt. A punt is someone who has no experience at this level, often a young player. Someone who you can't easily evaluate whether they are capable or who are bought for the future.

Anything beyond that and every single signing is a punt.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Aug 2017 17:52

paddy20 No-one can be critical of Stam for what he's done so far but I wonder if his penchant for punts is a little too much?

Mannone was £2 million wasn't he? Hardly cheap in the world of Reading FC.

Mendes was certainly a cheap punt and may well be a good one if he can ever stay free of injury.

Meite is a very bright prospect and came to Reading over a couple of PL clubs I believe. Would expect him to do well out on loan and hopefully be ready to compete for the first team here next season.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 11 Aug 2017 18:31

Of all the signings made by Stam/DoF...only Moore has been a real success..

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 11 Aug 2017 19:37

DOYLERSAROYALER Of all the signings made by Stam/DoF...only Moore has been a real success..

Jón Dadi Bödvarsson.. it's only been one game FFS :D Modou Barrow, Pelle Clement... it's only been 2 games FFS :D

The irony :D

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 Aug 2017 19:41

Oilroyal
DOYLERSAROYALER Of all the signings made by Stam/DoF...only Moore has been a real success..

Jón Dadi Bödvarsson.. it's only been one game FFS :D Modou Barrow, Pelle Clement... it's only been 2 games FFS :D

With regards to last season he means? Regardless though I'd still classify Swift and Beerens as a success.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 11 Aug 2017 19:47

Joke aside, given what funds Stam had to work with last season and the moderate funds going into this season, Stam and the whole team/squad have been a success … 12 months on and hoping it continues

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 Aug 2017 19:50

Oilroyal Joke aside, given what funds Stam had to work with last season and the moderate funds going into this season, Stam and the whole team/squad have been a success … 12 months on and hoping it continues

Of course. The only thing you could say is that Moore and Swift both came with fairly(ish) decent reputations at this level compared to our current signings.

That being said Grabban did as well and everyone wet themselves over Oxford. Jon Dadi impressed me in the QPR game but it was clear to see he's never going to be a goal scorer.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 11 Aug 2017 19:51

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

alfie9

by alfie9 » 11 Aug 2017 20:29

Bond was signed by Clarke, Grav signed by McDermott (or Tevreden, Jaap wasn't at the club regardless, Weiser was free

None of our signings this season are "punts," they were all signed to play a specific role in the first team. Bod, Mannone, and Barrow all have Championship and PL experience, and Stam has worked with Clement before.

So that just leaves Popa, Mendes, and Meite. Popa was brought in for a small fee because our wingers are made of glass, and has played internationally and in the Champions League. Mendes and Meite are the only two I'd classify as "gambles," both signed for small fees and both are showing good potential. Weiser was of course a gamble that failed, but for a minimal investment.

Stam's recruitment has been excellent in my opinion, I'd much rather have the team we have now than our loanee infested side under Clarke, even if it means we take a few gambles here and there

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Aug 2017 20:51

CountryRoyal
Oilroyal

With regards to last season he means? Regardless though I'd still classify Swift and Beerens as a success.

Turning it around, which of Stam's signings have been poor? Wieser was a low risk long term punt, Harriott is an unfortunate case of a serious injury. Mendes was a low expectation punt, Meite has been a disappointment, but was a longer term investment and could easily still pay off. Rather early to tell with Ilori and Popa, and obviously Mannone, Clement and Jon Dadi. Out of the main signings last summer, I'd say that's a pretty good success rate.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 Aug 2017 21:34

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal
Oilroyal

Turning it around, which of Stam's signings have been poor? Wieser was a low risk long term punt, Harriott is an unfortunate case of a serious injury. Mendes was a low expectation punt, Meite has been a disappointment, but was a longer term investment and could easily still pay off. Rather early to tell with Ilori and Popa, and obviously Mannone, Clement and Jon Dadi. Out of the main signings last summer, I'd say that's a pretty good success rate.

As would I. Just because someone doesn't set the world alight doesn't make them poor signings, it just doesn't make them exceptional signings.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 11 Aug 2017 23:52

LWJ

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Someone has high expectations eh? I'd agree with the above if we were signing these players to consolidate mid table in the Prem.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 12 Aug 2017 08:26

I guess that is why his squad took us to the play off final last season?

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 14 Aug 2017 08:46

I still think all of Stams signings this year are punts. Each signing has come off the back of less than impressive performances. I'm not saying thats wrong as they have all been relatively cheap and if just a couple come off its probably worth it.
If this is a policy however we can see from Saturday the lack of real investment on a striker will cost us dearly.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 14 Aug 2017 08:55

paddy20 I still think all of Stams signings this year are punts. Each signing has come off the back of less than impressive performances. I'm not saying thats wrong as they have all been relatively cheap and if just a couple come off its probably worth it.
If this is a policy however we can see from Saturday the lack of real investment on a striker will cost us dearly.

All slightly higher level/proven in some way punts compared to previous years though, hence the fees touted.

If we were talking top end Championship players, we couldn't compete financially. Best we can do given the situation.