Rumour - Reise Allassani

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: Rumour - Reise Allassani

by winchester_royal » 09 Jan 2018 12:49

Old Man Andrews
Tilehurstsouthbank
But it's a low risk strategy. The player will cost relative peanuts for a club our size.

That is my original concern. We are potentially taking punts on non-league, cheap talent which is a sign of how poor we are financially. Not suggesting we shouldn't sign him because he is non-league, would just like a striker with league experience to help us out of our current situation.

You must be a WUM. Nobody can be this simple.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Jan 2018 12:54

winchester_royal
Old Man Andrews
Tilehurstsouthbank
But it's a low risk strategy. The player will cost relative peanuts for a club our size.

That is my original concern. We are potentially taking punts on non-league, cheap talent which is a sign of how poor we are financially. Not suggesting we shouldn't sign him because he is non-league, would just like a striker with league experience to help us out of our current situation.

You must be a WUM. Nobody can be this simple.

A striker with league experience isn't better equipped to help us in our current situation?

I would suggest it is you who is simple. Get a clue.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 09 Jan 2018 13:02

Sorry I didn't realise that considering a low cost, low risk signing from the lower leagues meant we couldn't also look at other options to go along side.

How silly of me.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 09 Jan 2018 13:05

West Stand Man
Old Man Andrews I am all for signing players and I am sure the lad is talented etc but is this what it has come to?

Do you mean buying from non-league teams?

I call your Allassani and raise you one Robin Friday and one Kerry Dixon.

And we also allowed ourselves to miss out on Jason Roberts when he was at Hayes. I remember sending local press cuttings to the club suggesting he might be worth a look.

Michail Antonio? Ok we misjudged that one too.

Cork City don't play at the highest levels either and they've done us OK!

Trouble is, whilst some fans look down on him because of the level he's playing at, he will probably turn us down in favour of a bigger club!

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 09 Jan 2018 13:35

last 2 non league strikers we have signed did not st the world alight though (Manset and Liburd). I am all for cheap punts but they need to be given an opportunity which would be very unlikely in our current set up. look at Dominic Samuel couldn't get in our team but is doing well at Blackburn given more of a chance I think he would have done well for us but he never got that chance.

It may to be honest I hate to say this.... be better reading getting relegated. We can shift the dead weight, have a year or 2 in League 1 developing youth and putting together a stronger more cohesive unit to have another crack.

To use Blackburn as an example look at who they have got rid of since relegation and who they have brought in....
Key Departures
Jason Steele - good keeper but not setting the world alight at Sunderland
Wes Brown - too old for english leagues
Gordon Greer- Ditto
Hope Akpan - Readings Favourite ex donkey
Anthony Stokes - good in the scotish leagues was dire for Blackburn looked lost at Champ pace
Danny Guthrie - need i say more in my opinion the worst CM to wear a reading shirt

Key Incoming
Bradley Dack - up and coming utility midfielder who will play in the prem one day
Dominic Samuel - will do a job in the Champ when they get there
Richard Smallwood - consistently the best CM Rotherham have had for years and will be good in the Champ
Ben Gladwin - needs time to develop and was playing for a doomed QPR side will do well there
Paul Downing - A solid Centre Back realistically Reading should have been looking at.
Paul Caddis - Solid Championship Right Back
Peter Whittingham- only one i may not have signed but he is a leader and will work to develop the youth at the club.

Also they are giving more game time to there youngsters like ryan nyambe, joseph Nuttall and David Raya.

For the last 2 seasons this team has been dire I always looked forward to playing Blackburn because we would almost definitely get a win, but this is only an example but would you rather play last seasons Blackburn or the new team they have put together in league 1.....

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Jan 2018 13:39

I think thats a lot of guesswork, and the majority of our players have a couple of years contract left at least, so not easy to 'get rid of dead wood'. We have promoted some youth players this season, though admittedly not enough - but I think Stam is to blame for that, esp in the case of Richards.

It strikes me as the same sort of argument of those who said it was better we didn't go up last year, because we would be much stronger for another season in the champ. And that hasn't gone too well.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 09 Jan 2018 13:50

Hound I think thats a lot of guesswork, and the majority of our players have a couple of years contract left at least, so not easy to 'get rid of dead wood'. We have promoted some youth players this season, though admittedly not enough - but I think Stam is to blame for that, esp in the case of Richards.

It strikes me as the same sort of argument of those who said it was better we didn't go up last year, because we would be much stronger for another season in the champ. And that hasn't gone too well.

Agreed, BTW I am not Blackburn's biggest fan I just thought they were a good example.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 Jan 2018 13:52

Old Man Andrews
West Stand Man
Old Man Andrews I am all for signing players and I am sure the lad is talented etc but is this what it has come to?

That was 40 years ago.......

I am absolutely not against signing non-league players btw. I am just suggesting it may be a sign of how poor we are as a club that we are persuing a non-league player.

Peter Crouch
Michail Antonio
Yannick Bolasie
Danny Ings
Ashley Williams
Joe Hart
Charlie Austin
Jimmy Bullard
Troy Deeney
Chris Smalling
Les Ferdinand
Rickie Lambert
Kevin Phillips
Garath McCleary
Gary Hooper
Malcolm Christie
Grant Holt
Gareth McAuley
Steve Finnan
Andre Gray
Dwight Gayle
Stan Collymore
Dave Kitson
Rob Elliott
Lee Tomlin
Craig Dawson
Neil Taylor
Calum Wilson
Ben Foster
Jamie Vardy
Ian Wright

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Jan 2018 14:03

genome
Old Man Andrews
West Stand Man

I am absolutely not against signing non-league players btw. I am just suggesting it may be a sign of how poor we are as a club that we are persuing a non-league player.

Peter Crouch
Michail Antonio
Yannick Bolasie
Danny Ings
Ashley Williams
Joe Hart
Charlie Austin
Jimmy Bullard
Troy Deeney
Chris Smalling
Les Ferdinand
Rickie Lambert
Kevin Phillips
Garath McCleary
Gary Hooper
Malcolm Christie
Grant Holt
Gareth McAuley
Steve Finnan
Andre Gray
Dwight Gayle
Stan Collymore
Dave Kitson
Rob Elliott
Lee Tomlin
Craig Dawson
Neil Taylor
Calum Wilson
Ben Foster
Jamie Vardy
Ian Wright

Again I am unsure what your point is. Nobody is against non-league players. The concern on my part is that non-league players are all we can afford. I love non-league football and help run a non-league, step 5 club so I see first hand the talent that is there. I was speaking purely from a Reading FC perspective not in the general sense,

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 Jan 2018 14:15

Old Man Andrews Again I am unsure what your point is. Nobody is against non-league players. The concern on my part is that non-league players are all we can afford. I love non-league football and help run a non-league, step 5 club so I see first hand the talent that is there. I was speaking purely from a Reading FC perspective not in the general sense,

Did you forget that we spent over £10m in the summer on players with tons of Premier League and Championship experience?

It's bollocks to criticise the club for only being able to afford non-league players this window, when we'd spent a shitload (in relative terms for Reading) in the Summer and are obviously now at risk of breaching FFP. You can criticise the club for many things this season, but not the monetary levels of investment.

That's also presuming that a) we are actually in for this player and b) we aren't in for any other players this window, which you don't know yet. And anyway, my point was that it obviously works out from time-to-time and considering that's it's virtually risk-free, it's not even necessarily a bad thing.

When the chips are down it seems that people like to criticise the club about everything...

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Jan 2018 14:21

RoyalBlue
West Stand Man

And we also allowed ourselves to miss out on Jason Roberts when he was at Hayes. I remember sending local press cuttings to the club suggesting he might be worth a look.

Michail Antonio? Ok we misjudged that one too.

Cork City don't play at the highest levels either and they've done us OK!

Trouble is, whilst some fans look down on him because of the level he's playing at, he will probably turn us down in favour of a bigger club!

Didn't Maurice Evans want to sign Cyrille Regis back in 1977 before WBA showed interest but Waller said no?

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 09 Jan 2018 15:19

I go watch Dulwich quite often.

He's on fire, but nowhere near as good as Daniel Carr was.

You may recall we released Carr, he went to Dulwich Hamlet then was one you guys lost your shit over when he was sold to Huddersfield (as one that got away). Carr didn't pull up any trees in the league, went back to Dulwich a shadow of himself. He was loaned out by them last season and now plays in Sweden.

Hamlet have a good history of players getting into the league, Crouch, Oztumer. I don't think this guy has the same credentials.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 09 Jan 2018 16:06

22 year old in the 7th tier with a knee injury?

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 09 Jan 2018 16:11

Winston Biscuit 22 year old in the 7th tier with a knee injury?

Whats not to like?

Dennis the Butler
Location: Wallowing in the Premiership glory ... oh bollox !!

by Dennis the Butler » 09 Jan 2018 16:58

Rather gamble on players we already have tbh .. Smith and Loader to name but two ..

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 09 Jan 2018 17:06

That and take a punt on JDB

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Jan 2018 17:39

Old Man Andrews
Tilehurstsouthbank
Old Man Andrews
Who has said "don't sign non-league players" btw?

The list is a lot longer of those who have tried to step up and not made the grade.

No one is advocating it as an exclusive approach to signings mate. Remember we've reportedly committed about £10m - £15m over the last couple of transfer windows. Signing this guy doesn't mean we can't ever sign another Championship / Prem player for big bucks.

We should be taking these sorts of low risk cheap punts even if we were overflowing with wonga. Spending big isn't virtuous in of itself.

You appear to be down on it despite it being just one potential signing.

Chuckle Brother

by Chuckle Brother » 09 Jan 2018 21:20

Bas Savage.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Jan 2018 07:22

Old Man Andrews
genome
Old Man Andrews

Peter Crouch
Michail Antonio
Yannick Bolasie
Danny Ings
Ashley Williams
Joe Hart
Charlie Austin
Jimmy Bullard
Troy Deeney
Chris Smalling
Les Ferdinand
Rickie Lambert
Kevin Phillips
Garath McCleary
Gary Hooper
Malcolm Christie
Grant Holt
Gareth McAuley
Steve Finnan
Andre Gray
Dwight Gayle
Stan Collymore
Dave Kitson
Rob Elliott
Lee Tomlin
Craig Dawson
Neil Taylor
Calum Wilson
Ben Foster
Jamie Vardy
Ian Wright

Again I am unsure what your point is. Nobody is against non-league players. The concern on my part is that non-league players are all we can afford. I love non-league football and help run a non-league, step 5 club so I see first hand the talent that is there. I was speaking purely from a Reading FC perspective not in the general sense,

Hi Kes. Welcome back.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Jan 2018 08:33

Stranded
Old Man Andrews
genome
Peter Crouch
Michail Antonio
Yannick Bolasie
Danny Ings
Ashley Williams
Joe Hart
Charlie Austin
Jimmy Bullard
Troy Deeney
Chris Smalling
Les Ferdinand
Rickie Lambert
Kevin Phillips
Garath McCleary
Gary Hooper
Malcolm Christie
Grant Holt
Gareth McAuley
Steve Finnan
Andre Gray
Dwight Gayle
Stan Collymore
Dave Kitson
Rob Elliott
Lee Tomlin
Craig Dawson
Neil Taylor
Calum Wilson
Ben Foster
Jamie Vardy
Ian Wright

Hi Kes. Welcome back.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Is the intelligence level so low within this thread that you cannot see that it is an issue we can potentially only afford to buy non-league, unproven players? The fact a player is non-league isn't the issue it's the concern our finances are so bad.