Rumour Meite back to France?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Rumour Meite back to France?

by Nameless » 10 May 2019 14:32

Stranded
NewCorkSeth The question for me is do we really see Lille dropping the 6 or 7 million we all want? That would make him a fairly expensive signing for them.

Doesn't care if Lille have the 6 or 7m we all want - it's whether they have the Xm that the club will accept. My view is that given the state of our FFP finances we would likely accept a lot less that 7m - maybe even half that.

The evidence is that the club are not accepting under valued offers. We got very good prices for a Bacuna and Illori and turned down offers for other players in January. We don’t need to panic sell to stay in business so selling players for less than what we believe they are worth makes little sense. If the club value Meite at £7 million there is no way they will throw away 50% of that valuation.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 May 2019 17:32

Nameless
Stranded
NewCorkSeth The question for me is do we really see Lille dropping the 6 or 7 million we all want? That would make him a fairly expensive signing for them.

Doesn't care if Lille have the 6 or 7m we all want - it's whether they have the Xm that the club will accept. My view is that given the state of our FFP finances we would likely accept a lot less that 7m - maybe even half that.

The evidence is that the club are not accepting under valued offers. We got very good prices for a Bacuna and Illori and turned down offers for other players in January. We don’t need to panic sell to stay in business so selling players for less than what we believe they are worth makes little sense. If the club value Meite at £7 million there is no way they will throw away 50% of that valuation.

Gomes has said we may have to give away players, though I accept that's more aimed at Meyler and co.

But if no one offers good money for anyone we will almost certainly have to take bad money for someone.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 10 May 2019 17:53

Needle
Hound
Stranded

Depends largely on who else is wanted. Its not like we have to sell everyone we have.

If they offer 3m for Meite, but Leeds are actually offering 7m for Swift for example, we wouldn't have to accept the Meite offer.

Meite's four year contract was one of Gourlay's wasn't it? If he's on stupid money Howe will want him off the wage bill.

Gomes said on radio that the deal was VG for reading because his wages were LOW

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 10 May 2019 18:32

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
Stranded

Gomes has said we may have to give away players, though I accept that's more aimed at Meyler and co.

But if no one offers good money for anyone we will almost certainly have to take bad money for someone.

Indeed, those we want to shift I have no doubt will be shifted even if we have to pay up contracts. I’m not convinced we’d take bad offers. Selling the best players would mean we would need to replace them ....

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 10 May 2019 19:28

We're not going to shift players by paying up contracts ... rather it will be by letting them go on a free. No point wasting money on paying up contracts.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 10 May 2019 20:13

Royalwaster We're not going to shift players by paying up contracts ... rather it will be by letting them go on a free. No point wasting money on paying up contracts.

What if they don't want to go ?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 May 2019 20:17

Needle
Hound
Stranded

Depends largely on who else is wanted. Its not like we have to sell everyone we have.

If they offer 3m for Meite, but Leeds are actually offering 7m for Swift for example, we wouldn't have to accept the Meite offer.

Meite's four year contract was one of Gourlay's wasn't it? If he's on stupid money Howe will want him off the wage bill.

I doubt he will be in stupid money. From my understanding it was a performance based contract. So if he keeps doing well then he will be well rewarded. Fair enough.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 May 2019 07:49

Royalwaster We're not going to shift players by paying up contracts ... rather it will be by letting them go on a free. No point wasting money on paying up contracts.

Gomes has literally said we will. We supposedly did a partial pay up with Edwards.

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 11 May 2019 11:16

Snowflake Royal

Gomes has literally said we will. We supposedly did a partial pay up with Edwards.

We can only let go of contracted players easily if the receiving club is willing to match the current wages, but for some of our highly paid rubbish players that isn't going to happen. Therefore paying off or paying future wages will probably be essential, but worthwhile.

What happened to Sunderland last year was lucky and saved them millions. They had a couple of appalling players bought for millions during their failed efforts to stay in the Premier League who managed to breach their contracts and get sacked. Huddersfield and Fulham must be hoping for the same luck this year, and Brighton next. If Meylar, Kelly, McNulty, Baldock, Aluko, etc could all go on an unwise holiday and get stranded it would be great.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 May 2019 16:35

They’ve been on holiday all season.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 May 2019 09:34

Jack Celliers
Snowflake Royal

We can only let go of contracted players easily if the receiving club is willing to match the current wages, but for some of our highly paid rubbish players that isn't going to happen. Therefore paying off or paying future wages will probably be essential, but worthwhile.

What happened to Sunderland last year was lucky and saved them millions. They had a couple of appalling players bought for millions during their failed efforts to stay in the Premier League who managed to breach their contracts and get sacked. Huddersfield and Fulham must be hoping for the same luck this year, and Brighton next. If Meylar, Kelly, McNulty, Baldock, Aluko, etc could all go on an unwise holiday and get stranded it would be great.

Don't bring me in to this.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 20 May 2019 11:47

Nicolas Pepe confirmed to be leaving Lille apparently. Makes their interest in Meite more believable.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 May 2019 12:37

£69m apparently. Should free up some decent loose change for Meite if they do want him

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 20 May 2019 15:16

Hound £69m apparently. Should free up some decent loose change for Meite if they do want him

Lol.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 21 May 2019 01:17

No way could they replace someone worth that much being touted for Tottenham, Arsenal, United etc with Meite :lol: They're streets apart in ability

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 May 2019 09:31

URZZZZ No way could they replace someone worth that much being touted for Tottenham, Arsenal, United etc with Meite :lol: They're streets apart in ability

Of course they wouldn't but with 69m they could spend say 25m on a front line replacement and say 8m on Meite as a development option - may even decide to play him a bit wider as we have done a lot of the season. Could make sense for them.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 May 2019 10:14

URZZZZ No way could they replace someone worth that much being touted for Tottenham, Arsenal, United etc with Meite :lol: They're streets apart in ability

Thos is a ridiculous comment. They bought the 23 year old 2 seasons ago for 10 million. He improved. You thi k Lille are a club capable of buying a player equally as good as Pepe has been? No. They have to make sensible transfer decisions and target players with the potential to grow. Meite is at a good age, is French, cheap and has decent potential for growth under the right coach. Exactly the sort of player a team like Lille should target.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 21 May 2019 10:24

NewCorkSeth

Thos is a ridiculous comment. They bought the 23 year old 2 seasons ago for 10 million. He improved. You thi k Lille are a club capable of buying a player equally as good as Pepe has been? No. They have to make sensible transfer decisions and target players with the potential to grow. Meite is at a good age, is French, cheap and has decent potential for growth under the right coach. Exactly the sort of player a team like Lille should target.

I'm not saying Meite isn't joining them or whatever, I'm saying it's not a direct replacement as was suggested. I'd be very surprised if he joins them and becomes first choice straight away, irrespective of whether Pepe leaves or not

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 May 2019 10:56

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth

I'm not saying Meite isn't joining them or whatever, I'm saying it's not a direct replacement as was suggested. I'd be very surprised if he joins them and becomes first choice straight away, irrespective of whether Pepe leaves or not

To replace a right winger who scored 35 goals in 2 seasons you would usually have to buy 2 or even 3 players to replace that total. Meite might not be first choice but they will be looking to spread the goals around the team I imagine. Not sign a direct replacement and expect them to bag 15 goals in their first season.

Also its France at the end of the day. They cant exactly attract proven talent.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Jul 2019 14:07

Sampdoria apparently interested - understood we would accept €8m for him.