Swift to Leeds

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Swift to Leeds

by linkenholtroyal » 13 Apr 2019 11:12

From Despair To Where? We've only loaned Aluko so his wages are only off the books until December. He's contracted to 2021. Whilst it helps us out with getting his wages out for FFP for this season, there's still the transfer element and he's still got another 18 months to run after that.

And with Edwards, with a mutual agreement, there will still be an element of paying up the contract, that's how fixed term contracts work. Most likely we paid the difference between what we paid him and what Shrewsbury are paying so effectively, it's like a loan only Edwards gets the security of an ongoing contract at the end of it

Thanks for clarification

Could feasibly slump be sold to them with no repurcussions though?? Realistically if they are a completely different club (even if owned by the same person) he could even be bought by them and loaned back to us.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 13 Apr 2019 11:47

In theory yes but in reality it's not that far removed from what the likes of Man City and PSG are being investigated for, investing money through suspicious sponsorship deals.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the ulterior motive behind City setting up franchises all around the world.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 14 Apr 2019 03:30

I like Swift. But if the £7million is used to help keep Baker, Ejaria and Miazga in Reading on permanent deals I am all for selling him.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 14 Apr 2019 21:34

Swift has been one of our better players since Clement left but he misses so many games due to injury.

I think he's a considerably better option than any of our other attacking midfielders but I wouldn't say no to £7m - particularly if it allowed us to sign Baker or Ezatolahi.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Apr 2019 23:03

Of the players we have who I think could realistically be sold for £4/5m+, I think Swift is the one we could most afford to do without. Losing Moore, Barrow, Meite, Rinomhota (if Tish went for that so could Rino) would be a bigger deal IMO.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Apr 2019 08:40

SCIAG Swift has been one of our better players since Clement left but he misses so many games due to injury.

The last 3 games are the only games Swift has missed all season. He has started 28(6) and been on the bench for 11 games before this injury.

In 16/17 he was involved in 40 of 46 games. It was only really last season where he had problem relating to the achillies injury he picked up early in the season. He was still involved in 27 games.

Swift my be a lot of things but I think his injury record is blown out of proportion, He has been involved in 83% of our league games since he arrived.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Apr 2019 10:14

yep agreed, he has been pretty reliable. It was a hammy last year though, and I do wonder how well it was treated by the medical staff, considering according to Swift it eventually just 'got better', and hasn't reoccured at all this year

Don't disagree he is replaceable though

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Apr 2019 12:37

Hound yep agreed, he has been pretty reliable. It was a hammy last year though, and I do wonder how well it was treated by the medical staff, considering according to Swift it eventually just 'got better', and hasn't reoccured at all this year

Oh he is absolutely replaceable - he is a decent Championship level attacking midfielder - there are plenty of others out there. If we can get good money and get a like-for-like player in (ideally a hidden gem with more ability/consistancy) then I'm happy with him leaving this summer.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 15 Apr 2019 16:41

Stranded
Hound yep agreed, he has been pretty reliable. It was a hammy last year though, and I do wonder how well it was treated by the medical staff, considering according to Swift it eventually just 'got better', and hasn't reoccured at all this year

Oh he is absolutely replaceable - he is a decent Championship level attacking midfielder - there are plenty of others out there. If we can get good money and get a like-for-like player in (ideally a hidden gem with more ability/consistancy) then I'm happy with him leaving this summer.

As long as we don't squander the money on another Aluko. :wink:

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 15 Apr 2019 16:50

Snowflake Royal Of the players we have who I think could realistically be sold for £4/5m+, I think Swift is the one we could most afford to do without. Losing Moore, Barrow, Meite, Rinomhota (if Tish went for that so could Rino) would be a bigger deal IMO.

Think he would suit premiership better than Champ. Would rather keep him but if it gave us enough to sign some of the loan players then makes sense

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 16 Apr 2019 13:12

Stranded He is absolutely replaceable - he is a decent Championship level attacking midfielder - there are plenty of others out there. If we can get good money and get a like-for-like player in (ideally a hidden gem with more ability/consistancy) then I'm happy with him leaving this summer.

Agree he's replaceable (most all our players are, more or less).

There are 'plenty of others out there'? Interesting you say that, because about a month ago I asked people to start naming them all, and I haven't heard one name yet. (Aside from Eja, maybe, who I'd be unsure of in that role).
Obv it's not our job in here to scout and identify replacements for the club. But usually there are a few names banded about in here, esp if there are plenty of others out there.

Obv 'sell to buy' is a factor in improving the team, and I see that. But still interesting that some don't rate Swift, yet at same time say he's our most salable asset/for the most money. How is his valuation arrived at then?

Someone claimed we shouldn't sell Moore (like some wanted last Summer) cos it would send the wrong message to the loanees and they won't come here if we get rid of our best players beforehand. Does this not apply to Swift?

Btw, if there are 'plenty out there', why would Leeds be keying on Swift (if they are)? Because they think he's a really good player who will get even better? Looks like they will be in PL (as I predicted in Aug). Is Swift a PL player?

As I said, I'm all for upgrading positions, and if we get someone in to replace him and do what he does, but only better, then fine by me. (Presumably that player won't cost much, otherwise it would defeat the purpose somewhat).

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Apr 2019 20:49

According to SSN we are interested in Reece Brown from FGR. Plays in Swift’s position from what I can gather, goal scoring ACM

Don’t know too much about him tbh

Edit - just had a quick search round. 10 goals 11 assists for FGR this season. Just won a div2 player of the month. Looks a good player if quite slight
Last edited by Hound on 17 Apr 2019 21:01, edited 2 times in total.

One87One

by One87One » 17 Apr 2019 20:53

No problem at all with this if we get the reported £7m. If it means Baker and Oli stay then cheerio. Swift is great on his day but doesn't have enough consistency for me. £7m would be outstanding business.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Apr 2019 07:53

One87One Swift is great on his day

No, no he isn't.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Apr 2019 13:53

Hound According to SSN we are interested in Reece Brown from FGR. Plays in Swift’s position from what I can gather, goal scoring ACM

Edit - just had a quick search round. 10 goals 11 assists for FGR this season. Just won a div2 player of the month. Looks a good player if quite slight

Just like McNulty was :wink:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Apr 2019 13:55

Old Man Andrews
One87One Swift is great on his day

No, no he isn't.

TBF anyone is great on their day. But I get his point and for all the Swift haters, I wouldn't be surprised if he was in the Premier League before we got back there

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 18 Apr 2019 14:33

Libertine I like Swift. But if the £7million is used to help keep Baker, Ejaria and Miazga in Reading on permanent deals I am all for selling him.

Agreed

Royal Bison

by Royal Bison » 18 Apr 2019 14:47

paultheroyal
Libertine I like Swift. But if the £7million is used to help keep Baker, Ejaria and Miazga in Reading on permanent deals I am all for selling him.

Agreed

Sorry for repeating an earlier comment made, but just cannot see any of those three wanting to sign for us permanently anyway so it's meaningless

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 18 Apr 2019 15:59

Royal Bison
paultheroyal

Agreed

Sorry for repeating an earlier comment made, but just cannot see any of those three wanting to sign for us permanently anyway so it's meaningless

always look on the bright side of life do do do do do do do

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 18 Apr 2019 16:03

Hound According to SSN we are interested in Reece Brown from FGR. Plays in Swift’s position from what I can gather, goal scoring ACM

On a free as contract runs out at the end of the season, has fitness as played a lot of games in the last few seasons, scored 10 goals from Midfield and is only 23 years old. Low wages as coming from League 2 definitely worth a punt.