RUMOUR - Gary Hooper

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: RUMOUR - Gary Hooper

by Notts Royal » 08 Jul 2019 19:30

At some point we’re going to need some experience though otherwise I expect Moore will get fed up & want out.

Not saying Hooper is the answer but I’d be personally worried going into the season with the lack of experience the squad has.

Hooper would strengthen our forward line & would provide competition to Novakovich & Loader. Would prefer Nelson Personally but sounds like wages are the issue there. Having said that, surely Hooper would’ve been on a decent wedge at Wednesday

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 08 Jul 2019 19:51

Notts Royal At some point we’re going to need some experience though otherwise I expect Moore will get fed up & want out.
Not saying Hooper is the answer but I’d be personally worried going into the season with the lack of experience the squad has.

Yiadom is pretty experienced too to be fair. He's played 350+ games as a senior player.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Gary Hooper

by SCIAG » 08 Jul 2019 20:32

Snowflake Royal Are we realistically going to sell Baldock, McNulty and Bodvarsson?

And if we do, why Hooper when there's Oliveira available?

Oliveira > Piggott > Hooper for me.

Hooper in his prime was a much better goalscorer than Oliveira (although Oliveira is better on nearly every other count). Suppose if you think Hooper is past it then it's an easy choice. If you back yourself to get another season or two of his best out of him then it's a harder choice.

We don't have a very good record with "proven Championship strikers" - I'd rather we signed someone surplus in the league above or up-and-coming from below.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Gary Hooper

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jul 2019 21:52

SCIAG
Snowflake Royal Are we realistically going to sell Baldock, McNulty and Bodvarsson?

And if we do, why Hooper when there's Oliveira available?

Oliveira > Piggott > Hooper for me.

Hooper in his prime was a much better goalscorer than Oliveira (although Oliveira is better on nearly every other count). Suppose if you think Hooper is past it then it's an easy choice. If you back yourself to get another season or two of his best out of him then it's a harder choice.

We don't have a very good record with "proven Championship strikers" - I'd rather we signed someone surplus in the league above or up-and-coming from below.

I'd prefer what we know than an unknown quantity, in terms of how well players fit in, who may or may not still have it or someone for the future. I too am leery of proven Championship goalscorers after Martin, Vydra, Sharp etc.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Jul 2019 08:24

Notts Royal At some point we’re going to need some experience though otherwise I expect Moore will get fed up & want out.

Hooper would strengthen our forward line & would provide competition to Novakovich & Loader. Would prefer Nelson Personally but sounds like wages are the issue there. Having said that, surely Hooper would’ve been on a decent wedge at Wednesday

Hooper would add experience but bit unfair that a likely first team would have a lack of experience. Most likely starters with over 100 first team apps, a mark that is often seen as experienced (takes a min of 3 first team seasons to get there) at the mo:

Moore 220
Barrow 228
Swift 142
Meite 128
Yiadom 342
Obita 156
Blackett 117
Walker 266

Could easily see a side with all of those in with younger players sitting around them - and this assumes us not making any signings.