I mentioned this yesterday and suggested it. Ahead of the game and all that

Did sources reveal this to you?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: January Transfer Window

by Stranded » 31 Jan 2020 12:10

Snowball Played 150 minutes this season, not been in the Prem squad at all

Apart from the 13 mins he played as sub v Liverpool.

Good player but will always have concerns about signing a 34 yo who has barely played this season. WIll he be up to speed.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 31 Jan 2020 12:10

before any bedwetters on twitter who post on here are duped this is a fake account :roll:

Courtney Friday
@ChronCourtey
I understand that taking place currently is a medical for midfielder Josh Laurent. There is also a medical planned later today for Shane Long to rejoin on loan until the end of he season. Seems that’ll be our incomings today with outgoings of Howe, Mannone and more. #readingfc

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Jan 2020 12:11

Old Man Andrews
Hound
Old Man Andrews Huge +1

I mentioned this yesterday and suggested it. Ahead of the game and all that

Did sources reveal this to you?

Well the source about him being available for loan was the words of Chris Wilder himself. Unfortunately he shared it with everyone is his presser, not just me personally

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Jan 2020 12:12

Stranded

Good player but will always have concerns about signing a 34 yo who has barely played this season. WIll he be up to speed.

short term fix again. Benefit of being 34 is he should know exactly what he needs to do, and apparently has kept himself fit etc

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 Jan 2020 12:19

Hound
Stranded

short term fix again. Benefit of being 34 is he should know exactly what he needs to do, and apparently has kept himself fit etc

Yeah no problem with the short term fix bit, it is what we need and no more but the risk increases with age when players aren't playing. Murray at 36 would have been OK for me as he has seen some fairly regular action. Only plus is most of his minutes have come recently in the cup, so he's not completely cold.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Jan 2020 12:21

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
Not fussed, wont get ahead of Yiadom and Gunter for a while so not much point of keeping him

Think he’s the sort of player that will end up around lower league 1/league 2 his entire career

:|

Gunter is out of contract at the end of the season and 30.

I really wonder about you sometimes.

Ah, another “expert” who’s seen Howe play twice so is upset

Barrett is doing great at Bristol at the moment by the way

Seen him more than twice, and I'm not the one writing him off on the basis of a player there's no guarantee will be here.

Touch of the OMAs about you today URZZZ

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Jan 2020 12:25

Hound
Old Man Andrews Yeah I don't see how anyone can have an issue with Wickham coming in, decent at holding the ball up, good in the air and he has something to prove. He will be coming here with a view to getting a move in the summer so he will hopefully have the right attitude.

Yep exactly that

Shame if Howe does go permanently

My issue with Wickham is that he seems to be one of those players who have inextricably carved out a PL career on the back of a reputation as a young star, but never actually done anything out side of a six month loan back in the Championship.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 31 Jan 2020 12:28

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal :|

Seen him more than twice, and I'm not the one writing him off on the basis of a player there's no guarantee will be here.

Don't let him belittle you Urzzz, it's what he does. His life is extremely sad and miserable, so much so he has to mention me non-stop.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 31 Jan 2020 12:35

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal :|

:lol:

I’m not writing anyone off. L1/L2 is still a relatively good standard of football, and he has more in his locker than past debutants from the academy has for us

It’s simple really. We have Yiadom, Gunter, Watson and Howe as RB’s. One or two had to budge and considering Gunter’s recent form and Yiadom being first choice for 18 months, he won’t get near the first XI for a while

It’s different with someone like Olise because
(A) - he competes for more than one spot whereas Howe only has the RB spot
And (B) - there’s always a chance Swift (his competition) may leave to a higher club considering his recent form. Whereas I doubt many higher teams will be that interested in Yiadom

I predicted the same for Barrett. I think he’ll be a L1/L2 player. Whereas I can see McIntyre and Olise playing at a higher level. It’s just making estimates off first impressions, some are right, some are wrong

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Jan 2020 12:51

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

I’m not writing anyone off. L1/L2 is still a relatively good standard of football, and he has more in his locker than past debutants from the academy has for us

It’s simple really. We have Yiadom, Gunter, Watson and Howe as RB’s. One or two had to budge and considering Gunter’s recent form and Yiadom being first choice for 18 months, he won’t get near the first XI for a while

And (B) - there’s always a chance Swift (his competition) may leave to a higher club considering his recent form. Whereas I doubt many higher teams will be that interested in Yiadom

I predicted the same for Barrett. I think he’ll be a L1/L2 player. Whereas I can see McIntyre and Olise playing at a higher level. It’s just making estimates off first impressions, some are right, some are wrong

I get all that. But Watson seems nowhere near first team, and as I said, there's no guarantee Gunter is here next season. If Gunter gets an extension announced asap it makes more sense, but that's still very short termist.

Loan with a possible perm in the summer, maybe. I just don't see how anyone can back a perm move now as a good choice given the current situation.

And how you think you can assess he's just a L1/2 player off seeing him twice and then have a go at someone else for not being happy about him going because they've only seen him twice.... bit of hypocrisy.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 31 Jan 2020 12:54

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

I’d say you are pretty spot on.
Howe has the choose between sticking around and hoping 2 senior and capable players get bad injuries or lose form or going and getting first team football at a lower level with the aim of stepping back up. Exactly like Jack Stacey did. I’m sure we’ve not kicked him out the door but we’ve also not stood in his way. At his age you want to be playing regularly and there is little prospect he’d have done that any time soon for us. Would expect we have a large sell on % and we may well get a decent return in a couple of years time.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 31 Jan 2020 13:03

Teddy Howe has joined Blackpool on a two-and-a-half-year deal.

All the best,
@Teddyhowee
#readingfc

confimred

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 31 Jan 2020 13:51

Nameless
URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal Seen him more than twice, and I'm not the one writing him off on the basis of a player there's no guarantee will be here.

Howe has the choose between sticking around and hoping 2 senior and capable players get bad injuries or lose form or going and getting first team football at a lower level with the aim of stepping back up. Exactly like Jack Stacey did. I’m sure we’ve not kicked him out the door but we’ve also not stood in his way. At his age you want to be playing regularly and there is little prospect he’d have done that any time soon for us. Would expect we have a large sell on % and we may well get a decent return in a couple of years time.

Yeah, I'd argue that with the exception of goalkeeper, full back is the hardest position to break into

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 31 Jan 2020 13:55

URZZZZ
Nameless
URZZZZ

Yeah, I'd argue that with the exception of goalkeeper, full back is the hardest position to break into

Kind of depends who is already there but we’re currently well stocked a right back. You would suspect Howe might have some inside info on whether Gunter is close to a new deal. Had Gunter decided to go in the summer then I suspect Howe might have decided to stick around. Staying to wait out several seasons before real chance arose might not have been the best career choice. I’m sure he gotgood advice....

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 31 Jan 2020 13:55

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal Seen him more than twice, and I'm not the one writing him off on the basis of a player there's no guarantee will be here.

I get all that. But Watson seems nowhere near first team, and as I said, there's no guarantee Gunter is here next season. If Gunter gets an extension announced asap it makes more sense, but that's still very short termist.

Loan with a possible perm in the summer, maybe. I just don't see how anyone can back a perm move now as a good choice given the current situation.

And how you think you can assess he's just a L1/2 player off seeing him twice and then have a go at someone else for not being happy about him going because they've only seen him twice.... bit of hypocrisy.

I'm not assessing anyone

I'm making an estimate based off limited appearances. I thought he looked decent in pre season but he struggled in the Blackpool game before playing OK against Cardiff. Overall, I'd say he looks pretty steady going forward but a bit shaky defensively

And I'm certainly not having a go at you for having a different opinion! You were the one who was having a go when I simply suggested he was unlikely to break into the first team considering the depth there

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 31 Jan 2020 13:57

Nameless
URZZZZ
Nameless

Kind of depends who is already there but we’re currently well stocked a right back. You would suspect Howe might have some inside info on whether Gunter is close to a new deal. Had Gunter decided to go in the summer then I suspect Howe might have decided to stick around. Staying to wait out several seasons before real chance arose might not have been the best career choice. I’m sure he gotgood advice....

On this point, as I saw on Twitter and agreed with it, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with having family ties so close to the club

Because regardless of ability, eyebrows will always be raised if he broke into the team

So maybe it's better for him to move elsewhere without family members being associated to the club

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 31 Jan 2020 14:22

URZZZZ
Nameless
URZZZZ

On this point, as I saw on Twitter and agreed with it, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with having family ties so close to the club

Because regardless of ability, eyebrows will always be raised if he broke into the team

So maybe it's better for him to move elsewhere without family members being associated to the club

well yeah, Alex bruce was forever ridiculed for playing in his father's teams.

lewesroyal

by lewesroyal » 31 Jan 2020 14:40

Manone gone out on loan now

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 31 Jan 2020 14:42

From the Vikings to Denmark.

456 posts