January Transfer Window

456 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: January Transfer Window

by URZZZZ » 28 Jan 2020 13:13

WestYorksRoyal All incredibly quiet on this front. Good news IMO. If we can get a cheap loan in to cover for Joao, that's good business. But overall, playoffs are a very long shot and we shouldn't be locking ourselves in to expensive deals and 2-3 year contracts when we'll realistically be a mid table team treading water. If nobody comes in, I'm happy to reassess in the summer.

Cheaper signing with long term potential like Laurent may work.

Yeah, agreed. We did something similar with George Evans in 2016 when we didn't have much to play for then, unfortunately he never properly developed but it's a low risk

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jan 2020 19:10

URZZZZ
WestYorksRoyal All incredibly quiet on this front. Good news IMO. If we can get a cheap loan in to cover for Joao, that's good business. But overall, playoffs are a very long shot and we shouldn't be locking ourselves in to expensive deals and 2-3 year contracts when we'll realistically be a mid table team treading water. If nobody comes in, I'm happy to reassess in the summer.

Cheaper signing with long term potential like Laurent may work.

Yeah, agreed. We did something similar with George Evans in 2016 when we didn't have much to play for then, unfortunately he never properly developed but it's a low risk

Still feel that was more down to our general shambles than him.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Jan 2020 05:27

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... y-17647741

Transfer update

.......Hopefully we'll be able to do some sort of business.

As much as anything, new faces can give a club a lift as well. They give the squad, fans and the training ground a buzz which is important.

I'm hoping we'll be able to announce one or two in the next 48 hours. I'm hoping.....

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Jan 2020 07:39

"Some sort of business"

I love the vagueness.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Jan 2020 08:33

For me, that is better than coming out and saying we are getting a couple of signings completed and then they fall through.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 29 Jan 2020 09:12

Hendo For me, that is better than coming out and saying we are getting a couple of signings completed and then they fall through.

+1 .. OMA would announce exactly who was coming in and at what price ... because that's more transparent.

largetrousers
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by largetrousers » 30 Jan 2020 12:25

What we don't want is the recent run to peter out into another season of nothingness mid-table at best nonsense, when the maths suggest we are still in touching distance if we get our act together.

We have no idea what cash, if any, is available, and if that is forcing having to sell, get cheap players in, or loans.

We can all see that we need another forward who can hold the ball up, creates space, shows intelligent play and links up with others well for one of our other forwards to play off of. Those we've got fit aren't up to that job.

Risky with the stats not being great of late, but there is still a good player in Jordan Rhodes which sounds like he's potentially available for peanuts. Low risk punt i'd jump at that, with the right environment, style of play, fresh challenge etc, could be the missing cog.

Others have contracts due to expire this year like Shane Long, Andy Carroll, could easily do a job for us in the Championship but may not want to drop down. Has the Murray thing completely gone quiet, my concern is he's no spring chicken so need someone like him 3 years younger otherwise he won't be playing 90 mins each week.

In addition to an out an out forward, i'd also consider bringing Barrow back from his loan early (if there is a recall clause?) to give us something different, width, speed and balls into the box which we are lacking and would probably be the sort of thing that Puscas needs to thrive too. Although I heard his personality fit was a big issue too, but with a new manager players should get the chance to wipe that slate clean and prove their worth.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Jan 2020 12:51

largetrousers What we don't want is the recent run to peter out into another season of nothingness mid-table at best nonsense, when the maths suggest we are still in touching distance if we get our act together.

We have no idea what cash, if any, is available, and if that is forcing having to sell, get cheap players in, or loans.

We can all see that we need another forward who can hold the ball up, creates space, shows intelligent play and links up with others well for one of our other forwards to play off of. Those we've got fit aren't up to that job.

Risky with the stats not being great of late, but there is still a good player in Jordan Rhodes which sounds like he's potentially available for peanuts. Low risk punt i'd jump at that, with the right environment, style of play, fresh challenge etc, could be the missing cog.

Others have contracts due to expire this year like Shane Long, Andy Carroll, could easily do a job for us in the Championship but may not want to drop down. Has the Murray thing completely gone quiet, my concern is he's no spring chicken so need someone like him 3 years younger otherwise he won't be playing 90 mins each week.

In addition to an out an out forward, i'd also consider bringing Barrow back from his loan early (if there is a recall clause?) to give us something different, width, speed and balls into the box which we are lacking and would probably be the sort of thing that Puscas needs to thrive too. Although I heard his personality fit was a big issue too, but with a new manager players should get the chance to wipe that slate clean and prove their worth.

Rhodes is only available if we pay his wages. I believe he would become the highest paid member of our squad if we were to sign him, so for that reason alone it's a no from me.

largetrousers
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by largetrousers » 30 Jan 2020 13:05

Stranded Rhodes is only available if we pay his wages. I believe he would become the highest paid member of our squad if we were to sign him, so for that reason alone it's a no from me.

We did that with Olivera, stalled being announced as he wanted lots more cash and we caved in.

What about a Rhodes loan till the end of the season with clauses to buy if he meets certain targets, even if he's on 40k a week, paying that till the end of May is still cheaper than splashing it on an unknown player and may give us the lift we need. Or he could be another Chris Martin. Just hope we don't stand still and wave goodbye to another season.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Jan 2020 13:11

largetrousers
Stranded Rhodes is only available if we pay his wages. I believe he would become the highest paid member of our squad if we were to sign him, so for that reason alone it's a no from me.

We did that with Olivera, stalled being announced as he wanted lots more cash and we caved in.

What about a Rhodes loan till the end of the season with clauses to buy if he meets certain targets, even if he's on 40k a week, paying that till the end of May is still cheaper than splashing it on an unknown player and may give us the lift we need. Or he could be another Chris Martin. Just hope we don't stand still and wave goodbye to another season.

Not sure he is the player we need - he is a finisher not a hold up man with an eye for goal. I don't think he solves our problems, would only excaerbate them.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 30 Jan 2020 13:22

Paying £40,000 a week for 6 months is £1m. That's a lot of money for a striker who isn't in the mould of player we actually need and has only scored 15 goals in 4 seasons.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 30 Jan 2020 13:30

From Despair To Where? Paying £40,000 a week for 6 months is £1m. That's a lot of money for a striker who isn't in the mould of player we actually need and has only scored 15 goals in 4 seasons.

whilst i agree with the sentiment, we keep being told money is no issue, i doubt the owners would bat an eyelid at 40k a week. However i agree with you and the previous poster, Rhodes is not the fit we need right now

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Jan 2020 13:42

WoodleyRoyal
From Despair To Where? Paying £40,000 a week for 6 months is £1m. That's a lot of money for a striker who isn't in the mould of player we actually need and has only scored 15 goals in 4 seasons.

whilst i agree with the sentiment, we keep being told money is no issue, i doubt the owners would bat an eyelid at 40k a week. However i agree with you and the previous poster, Rhodes is not the fit we need right now

I must have missed all these times when the owners have said we have unlimited funds.....
There is a huge difference between us not being in financial difficulties and us being willing to spend huge amounts of money.
As for the suggestionbthat Andy Carroll would be an option I would think 40k would not even get his attention. And even if we paid the stupid money he would demand he'd probably never be fit, and if he was fit he'd probably just never bother.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 30 Jan 2020 13:47

WoodleyRoyal

I wasn't suggesting money is an issue, I was suggesting that spending £40,000 a week on Jordan Rhodes who doesn't fit our system and hasn't had a decent goalscoring return for 5 years is a big fat waste of money.

And anyway, whilst money isn't an issue, FFP still is and will be until we offload in the summer and dump 17/18's loss off the reckoning. The owners could spend £100m and not bat an eyelid but the regs won't let them.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 30 Jan 2020 14:51

2 players having medicals today :?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 30 Jan 2020 14:56

Well with a game tomorrow its probably prudent to get any deals over the line today.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 30 Jan 2020 15:03

Hendo 2 players having medicals today :?

Reading are closing in on the signings of midfielders Felipe Araruna and Ayub Timbe.

BerkshireLive understands the pair are having medicals on Thursday afternoon ahead of signing contracts.

Araruna will join from Sao Paulo on a free but the Brazilian club will have a 40 per cent sell-on clause for any future move.

The 23-year-old flew into the UK on Thursday morning to sign a two and a half year deal.

Timbe, 27, meanwhile signs a loan contract with Reading until the end of the season.

The Kenyan international winger plays for Chinese side Beijing Renhe, who are owned by Reading's owner Dai Yongge.

He has been on trial with Royals over the past couple of weeks and sufficiently impressed to earn a deal.

In an interview earlier this month, he said: "Yes it is true that Reading wants to sign me in this transfer window but there have been hitches concerning my current contract.

"This might force the deal to the next window.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Jan 2020 15:10

Danyy Loader posted an Instagram story with his foot being iced and an "injured" emoticon. Either he is not leaving this window or he injured himself at a medical in Wolverhampton..

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 30 Jan 2020 15:36

Fairly underwhelming business. Squad signings who won't immediately improve the 1st team. I guess not every window can be exciting.

I predict the 2 having medicals make around 10 appearances between them this season, possibly all from the bench.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jan 2020 15:46

yep 2 cheap punts that might turn out to be half decent. No major problem with either, but again I'd like to see us ship some more players out over the next day or so

456 posts