January Transfer Window

456 posts
royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

January Transfer Window

by royalp-we » 16 Nov 2019 17:48

As the January transfer window inches ever closer, what business do you think we need / do not need to do?

Bowen has been reported this week as saying he is expecting a quiet one. Can’t really disagree with that and whilst things are going well, we don’t really need to be pushing players away or creating any disharmony in the ranks. Not sure I can see many outgoings, perhaps let Loader go should we get a cash offer?!

I think we could do with just one more player coming in - a CM. God forbid anything happens to Swift or Ejaria - they will need a rest at some point.

I’d like to see a loan, maybe someone like Marco Van Ginkel at Chelsea, who is itching to play, prove himself in England and make an impression following an injury. Personally Charlie Adam, Ryan East and Josh Barrett just don’t fill me with confidence as replacements to start games as we get towards the business end of the season.

What would you like to see?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: January Transfer Window

by From Despair To Where? » 16 Nov 2019 18:34

For the first time in forever, we don't have any glaring gaps in the 1st XI but we need more depth in a couple of positions. I do think we will need to move players on first though and that will probably be our focus.

Not sure anyone will take the bait with Gunter and Mannone with only 6 months left on their contract. We need to move Aluko on but I don't think his time in China will have impressed anyone. Virginia can go back to Everton and I think the likes of Olise, Barrett, Holmes etc would benefit from loans in League 1. If Loader is showing no signs of signing a new contract then we should look to cash in.

If we move players out then I think we need to add depth at CB and CM and maybe a better backup keeper.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 17 Nov 2019 19:28

Haven’t even thought about the transfer window :shock:

Very happy with our squad, don’t think we need anything.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 17 Nov 2019 20:46

royalp-we As the January transfer window inches ever closer, what business do you think we need / do not need to do?

Bowen has been reported this week as saying he is expecting a quiet one. Can’t really disagree with that and whilst things are going well, we don’t really need to be pushing players away or creating any disharmony in the ranks. Not sure I can see many outgoings, perhaps let Loader go should we get a cash offer?!

I think we could do with just one more player coming in - a CM. God forbid anything happens to Swift or Ejaria - they will need a rest at some point.

I’d like to see a loan, maybe someone like Marco Van Ginkel at Chelsea, who is itching to play, prove himself in England and make an impression following an injury. Personally Charlie Adam, Ryan East and Josh Barrett just don’t fill me with confidence as replacements to start games as we get towards the business end of the season.

Keep reducing the wage bill as far as we can. Get rid of Mannone and Aluko because neither will fit in the team. Possibly Gunter too if his game time isn't looking any better. Then I wouldn't be surprised to see Virginia, Blackett, Meite and Barrett to go. I don't think Virginia or Barrett have a future here and I can't imagine Meite or Blackett will be happy with current game time

I'd like to see a bit more of McIntyre and Howe. I think McIntyre can have a future, but he obviously hasn't been trusted since his disaster against Blackburn. Olise too. Try and give Loader a contract but as you say, a good cash offer may tempt us to get rid

I would get one CM into the squad too, as whilst McCleary etc could probably do a job as a stopgap midfielder, one bad injury to Pele, Rino, Swift or Ejaria leaves him as the first reserve. Which isn't handy for a playoff chasing team :wink: Not sure East will make the grade and Adam isn't the answer

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 17 Nov 2019 22:06

URZZZZ
royalp-we As the January transfer window inches ever closer, what business do you think we need / do not need to do?

Keep reducing the wage bill as far as we can. Get rid of Mannone and Aluko because neither will fit in the team. Possibly Gunter too if his game time isn't looking any better. Then I wouldn't be surprised to see Virginia, Blackett, Meite and Barrett to go. I don't think Virginia or Barrett have a future here and I can't imagine Meite or Blackett will be happy with current game time

I'd like to see a bit more of McIntyre and Howe. I think McIntyre can have a future, but he obviously hasn't been trusted since his disaster against Blackburn. Olise too. Try and give Loader a contract but as you say, a good cash offer may tempt us to get rid

I would get one CM into the squad too, as whilst McCleary etc could probably do a job as a stopgap midfielder, one bad injury to Pele, Rino, Swift or Ejaria leaves him as the first reserve. Which isn't handy for a playoff chasing team :wink: Not sure East will make the grade and Adam isn't the answer

Admittedly, I hadn’t even considered those returning from loans and agree with moving them on.

I also agree I’m not sure if East or Barrett can cut it at this level. Still unsure on Loader tbh. Slightly baffled why Wolves want him.

I think Howe and McIntyre can do a job and look promising. Olise looks a talent too.

Blackett should be offered a new deal imo. Meite is our joint top scorer with 4 years left on his deal. If we continue heading in the right direction, I can’t see either of them forcing a move.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 18 Nov 2019 11:04

yeah, i agree with most, amazing to think we actually don't need any positions filling. Plenty still to move on mind.

As people have said another CM perhaps, but I don't think we really need one. Is lewis baker getting enough game time in Germany? Perhaps he's like to come home for half a season.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 18 Nov 2019 12:25

Loader rumours starting up again - apparently Man Utd interested.

Could this just be a case of a talented player coming through at the wrong time? Relegation battles, manager turnover, unclear how to fit his role into our system (what is his best position?)

I think accept an offer, build in a hefty sell on fee. I'm not sure it's going to work out for him here.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 18 Nov 2019 12:35

Would clubs not just wait 6 months until his contract runs out and pick him up on a free (or discounted price as I am not sure how the tribunal system works).

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Nov 2019 12:54

Seen nothing from Loader to suggest he would be a big loss to us.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 18 Nov 2019 13:31

Hendo Would clubs not just wait 6 months until his contract runs out and pick him up on a free (or discounted price as I am not sure how the tribunal system works).

The advantage of getting in first I guess - if a club offer to buy, and Reading are happy with the price, then they just need to agree terms with Loader. Whereas if they wait, assuming they are correct about his potential, Loader will be inundated with offers and can pick and choose between them.

This is supposing Loader is actually good enough to be attracting interest from the likes of ManU of course. I can't quite see it myself, but I'm not a scout.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 18 Nov 2019 13:33

To be honest the best thing we could do if a fee came in for any player is pay up the buy out clause for Ejaria and make him permanent. if we are not in the prem in the next 2 years he is a big price tag player for the future. also try and secure Miazga permanently if possible. other than that happy with the squad with good depth in most positions. Loan out some fringe youngsters to get some game time.

If Blackett did leave potentially another CB cover would be useful playing 3 at the back Ben Heneghan is in discussion about extending his loan at Blackpool and has done well there if we could scupper that he would do. he has done well at Blackpool. Loader is a bit meh really he is a good prospect but will not be pushing players out of the team at the moment with Meite, Baldock, Joao and Puscas and I would see Olise as a better fit for Swift / Ejaria cover.

On contracts I would get Obita signed up sooner rather than later, give Gmac another year but on lower wages if he says no then Bye Bye. Who knows about Gunter he still doesnt seem to be near the first team so probably best for all for him to move on. Blackett stay or go not bothered but would rather get something for him as he could do a job in most lower championship clubs. Charlie Adam good squad player if on little wages see GMac.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 18 Nov 2019 14:03

would like to see gunter go, and swift(or anyone else in/near the 1st team) kept

thats it really

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 18 Nov 2019 16:07

Old Man Andrews Seen nothing from Loader to suggest he would be a big loss to us.

Agree - i just dont get the "Antonio's" with regards to Loader if he was to be released. Strange one as decent for England, U23s but has looked 6/10 in most games at best.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 18 Nov 2019 16:13

people going on about antonio wind me up

just because he became a half decent player in the prem a few years down the line doesnt mean we should have played him ahead of excellent options we had at the time or kept him for years not playing, just in case he improved

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Nov 2019 16:36

The thing is, I do get a touch of the "Antonios" about Loader. He's been in and around the first team without really pulling up any trees, there are 4 or 5 players ahead of him on merit and he might develop into a half decent Premiership player if he gets a decent run in a team currently playing a level below where we are at the moment. He's not really done anything as yet outside of his age group so he's got a choose between being patient or greedy.

He could sign for United, get loaned to Barnsley for 3 years and then disappear into obscurity.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Nov 2019 17:25

Maneki Neko people going on about antonio wind me up

just because he became a half decent player in the prem a few years down the line doesnt mean we should have played him ahead of excellent options we had at the time or kept him for years not playing, just in case he improved

McDermott had a chance to play him more in the 2010/11 season. Clearly Kebe and McAnuff were streets ahead of him and Kanu but at that point, it was obvious Antonio was the better impact player, hence the frustration every single time we saw HRK off the bench and predictably contribute nothing

Meaning the times Antonio did get a chance from the start (which was rare), he was trying too hard to impress because he knew he had to put in one hell of a performance to get ahead of Kanu in the pecking order. So I disagree with you when you say we had "excellent options" because there was only really two players better than him at that time

Would Antonio have had the career he has if he stayed here? I doubt it personally. But I think he could have been a more useful option for us over the years than Kanu was so all in all, it was one of McDermott's worst calls IMO

I think Loader is slightly different in the sense that he hasn't had any experience in the EFL before his debut for us whereas Antonio had a very strong loan spell at Southampton. Plus Loader had a lot of opportunities to shine last season, whereas Antonio never really did. Although I can see some similarities between them, Antonio always looked raw when he played and Loader looks the same. A bit of quality coaching to increase the tempo of his play and decision making though and who knows Loader's potential

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 18 Nov 2019 18:41

Loader could be a quality player for whom it just didn't work out here due to his stage in development and the instability we've had at the club. Last season was always going to be difficult for an 18 year old to break through, though admittedly he had many chances.

Given the contract situation and other available options, I think we should sell in January with a good sell on fee if possible.

Ideal scenario would be to have him tied down for another few years and ease him in through cup games, bench appearances as a comfortable mid table side, with a clear role for him. Last year he was tried up front, on the wing, behind the striker. To expect an 18 year old to flourish in that way, playing for a club in a relegation battle, is pure fantasy.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Nov 2019 14:49

its a tough one. We're just not really in the position of having the luxury to ease him in and give him more time at the moment. I'd certainly be playing Boye, Joao, Puscas, Meite and Baldock ahead of him up front, and Ejaria, Swift, Boye and maybe even Barrett and Olise ahead of him in attacking midfield, if our sole aim at the moment is to pick up 3 points each week.

Plenty of reasons why, but he didn't really hit the ground running last year despite his obvious talent.

It doesn't really seem like he wants to stay around for another couple of years to develop with us and wait for his opportunity to come up here. Thats his right to choose to do that, and if he thinks he'll progress better elsewhere then not much we can do.

Would take pretty much the best offer for him in Jan

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Nov 2019 23:57

On the one hand Loader is obviously technically gifted and did very well in youth football.

On the other hand he's had very little influence on senior football, doesn't seem to have a clear position, fit in well to what we're doing or want to hang around.

I think it's a case of take whatever we can get and if he makes it big fair enough. But it's not like he hasn't had a chance here at this point. In a 1000 minutes of football he's got 1 goal, 1 assist, averages less than a shot a game and 0.3 key passes a game.

He just doesn't seem to know how to impose himself on games. And last season he just seemed incredibly hesitant to have a go and get involved or have a shot.

Could easily come good with patience, but I just don't see him waiting and striker is a position you can't really afford to carry someone until they do.

I'd far rather have sold him in the summer, kept Nova and not bothered with Boye and maybe Joao.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 20 Nov 2019 14:08

if our sole aim at the moment is to pick up 3 points each week.

IF

:lol:

456 posts