Blackett to Turkey.

162 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Blackett to Turkey.

by Hound » 30 Dec 2019 20:14

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Hound Be a shame but maybe he wants to leave and try somewhere else?

Was signed pre-Gourlay as well so prob not on a huge contract currently

Yeah. Reckon his contract is in the lower half of our current lot.

Hat-trick!

Signed from Utd by Stam to take us up the league when we still had parachute payments and were spending beyond our means. Gourlay didn't start the overspending.

I’m not sure we were at the time. We were signing shite like Danzell and Weiser at the time

Moore has signed 2(?) new contracts since that time, and Swift 1 as well - and they were the big signings at the same time

Won’t be very cheap but suspect he isn’t on tons

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Dec 2019 23:21

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Bowen has just said that Richards is the future of this club so perhaps there is an element of deciding which of our senior LBs to tie down to a new deal. Obita or Blackett. I just think its poor management to have allowed Blacketts contract to wind down in this way. Why didnt we sell him last January if we weren't going to offer a new contract? Or have we offered him a deal and he hasn't signed it yet?

Obita wasn't fit last January.

Your point being?

We didn't sell Blackett in January because we had one other fit extremely inexperienced LB. It's pretty obvious what my point is isn't it?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Dec 2019 23:26

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Yeah. Reckon his contract is in the lower half of our current lot.

Hat-trick!

Signed from Utd by Stam to take us up the league when we still had parachute payments and were spending beyond our means. Gourlay didn't start the overspending.

Signed on a free by Stam. I'd be shocked if he were on more than 12-15k. Shocked I tells ya.

I'd be astounded if he's on less than £15k having come on a free from a major PL team. I'd have put it around £18k - £22k

The average Champ salary was something like £14k about a decade ago and we've been consistently one of the higher wage bills in the division.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 31 Dec 2019 11:45

Don't know anything about him personally but surely having come through the Man Utd system, England U21s and talked of as a future England international (as all Man Utd English players are :wink: ) he must surely be pissed off at , approaching his prime, being at times 2nd or 3rd choice left-back at a middling Championship club.

You can see that he has ability and a good touch with his left foot but his concentration levels are dire and I am not sure that at 25 it is something that can be improved-you either have it or you don't IMHO, it is part of a person's character.

I had hoped to see Richards press on this season but, possibly due to injuries, he doesn't seem to have the pace to beat his man, something that is most important for a wing-back.
The same now seems to be the case sadly with Obita.

Players come and go and if he goes I suspect he will be viewed as a bit of an underachiever but we move on.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 31 Dec 2019 13:43

Victor Meldrew Don't know anything about him personally but surely having come through the Man Utd system, England U21s and talked of as a future England international (as all Man Utd English players are :wink: ) he must surely be pissed off at , approaching his prime, being at times 2nd or 3rd choice left-back at a middling Championship club.

You can see that he has ability and a good touch with his left foot but his concentration levels are dire and I am not sure that at 25 it is something that can be improved-you either have it or you don't IMHO, it is part of a person's character.

I had hoped to see Richards press on this season but, possibly due to injuries, he doesn't seem to have the pace to beat his man, something that is most important for a wing-back.

Players come and go and if he goes I suspect he will be viewed as a bit of an underachiever but we move on.

I wouldn’t think he should be classed as an underachiever

He came in first season, did a decent enough job but with a mistake in him every odd game, but then the second season (which is where players can often really kick on) he was brutally mismanaged by Stam and you could see how nervous he was whenever he got his chance (which was once every 5 games)

Similar to some players, he does need a run to get going again, which is why he was shaky in his small cameo at Swansea earlier this year

Really, I’d say he’s been a decent signing (especially when considering monetary terms) but not good enough to be considered more than that because he’s never fully kicked on and he is still prone to the same errors he was committing three years ago

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 31 Dec 2019 14:28

Who wouldn't want to go to Turkey?

Doner kebab shops everywhere and every second shop is a barber (usually open till about 6am).

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 31 Dec 2019 15:08

2 world wars, 1 world cup Who wouldn't want to go to Turkey?

Doner kebab shops everywhere and every second shop is a barber (usually open till about 6am).

The kebab vans in Turkey sell Fish and Chips

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 31 Dec 2019 15:24

URZZZZ
Victor Meldrew Don't know anything about him personally but surely having come through the Man Utd system, England U21s and talked of as a future England international (as all Man Utd English players are :wink: ) he must surely be pissed off at , approaching his prime, being at times 2nd or 3rd choice left-back at a middling Championship club.

He came in first season, did a decent enough job but with a mistake in him every odd game, but then the second season (which is where players can often really kick on) he was brutally mismanaged by Stam and you could see how nervous he was whenever he got his chance (which was once every 5 games)

Similar to some players, he does need a run to get going again, which is why he was shaky in his small cameo at Swansea earlier this year

Really, I’d say he’s been a decent signing (especially when considering monetary terms) but not good enough to be considered more than that because he’s never fully kicked on and he is still prone to the same errors he was committing three years ago

My point was that from a promising start to his career at a top Premier club to now be 2nd or 3rd choice for us is an underachievement.
Not a dire signing by Reading but will not be greatly missed.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 31 Dec 2019 15:46

Blackett had a monster 8.38 WhoScored? ranking at Preston
"Best player on the pitch" and he is on 6.82 for the season
which ranks him 149th out of 594 in the Championship.

More interestingly, his scores and getting better and he's only started 5 games,
so maybe there is truth in the suggestion he needs games to get into his stride

IMO he's getting better with playing time and 6th best player in the club
(on WhoScored?) is quite within his reach

001 7.72 Joao (for Wednesday)

002 7.46 RFC 01 Swift
015 7.28 RFC 02 Ejaria

055 7.03 RFC 03 Joao (for Reading)
069 6.99 RFC 04 Yiadom
089 6.93 RFC 05 Morrison

136 6.84 RFC 06 Gunter
139 6.83 RFC 07 Miazga
144 6.83 RFC 08 McIntyre
149 6.82 RFC 09 Blackett <<<<<<<<

160 6.80 RFC 10 Moore
197 6.74 RFC 11 Richards
206 6.73 RFC 12 Adam
226 6.70 RFC 13 Baldock
231 6.70 RFC 14 Meite

252 6.67 RFC 15 Rafael
268 6.64 RFC 16 Pele

329 6.55 RFC 17 Puscas
362 6.51 RFC 18 Rinomhota
436 6.38 RFC 19 Obita
452 6.36 RFC 20 Boye
465 6.33 RFC 21 Barrett
510 6.22 RFC 22 Virginia
529 6.13 RFC 23 Olise
537 6.12 RFC 24 Barrow

(6.75 Alex Pearce, 6.74 Jake Cooper)

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 31 Dec 2019 17:30

Victor Meldrew
URZZZZ

My point was that from a promising start to his career at a top Premier club to now be 2nd or 3rd choice for us is an underachievement.

Exactly. A strong fast powerful player as MG said he has it all. And he used it all when effectively slicing through their midfield to create the second goal. The sad thing is he doesn't have it all in his official role as LB due to momentary lapses in concentration, something no defender or keeper is really allowed. It's a shame really because he could probably be fine as a midfielder or something else but is probably too late to re-invent.

Having said that Obita and RIchards have also shown lapses in concentration at LB and let players through. But anyway yeah he's a good squad player for sure and maybe even a good LB but not someone we'll miss crazily.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 31 Dec 2019 18:45

Victor Meldrew
URZZZZ

I think if you look at some of the players who have played at top teams at a young age and see where they are now, he hasn’t done too bad

Was briefly looking at other United players who had come through at the same time, such as Donald Love and James Weir, and in comparison Blackett has done relatively OK

I see your point but I think it’s just the nature of football nowadays that youngsters who get close to the first team squad often find themselves no where “X” years later because of how quickly managers find themselves under pressure and hence no time to develop those youngsters

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 Jan 2020 09:50

Not sure Blackett was rated that highly at United. He got prematurely promoted to the first team squad because of an injury crisis and didn't seem to adjust that well. He then spent 2 years on loan at Birmingham and Celtic where he made a total of 11 appearances. United are the sort of club where, unless you are an exceptional talent for your age group, they will always buy in players ahead of you. I think the move to us came at the right time for him and I doubt he's at the top end of our pay scale.

For what it's worth, I think he's shown more than enough to earn a new deal. I also wonder whether he has the makings of a half decent DM as he's good on the ball.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Jan 2020 13:30

I think Blackett will he offered a new deal.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Jan 2020 13:48

Zip I think Blackett will he offered a new deal.

I think he will BE too. Only stumbling block might be the lack of first team football we can give him. Would probably be first choice for a midtable Turkish side.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 02 Jan 2020 15:29

From Despair To Where? Not sure Blackett was rated that highly at United. He got prematurely promoted to the first team squad because of an injury crisis and didn't seem to adjust that well. He then spent 2 years on loan at Birmingham and Celtic where he made a total of 11 appearances. United are the sort of club where, unless you are an exceptional talent for your age group, they will always buy in players ahead of you. I think the move to us came at the right time for him and I doubt he's at the top end of our pay scale.

For what it's worth, I think he's shown more than enough to earn a new deal. I also wonder whether he has the makings of a half decent DM as he's good on the ball.

No,no,no.
He does have a good touch but his spatial awareness is dire-it is something that is essential for any midfielder caught up in the hurly-burly of the centre of the pitch.

Out wide left, either as a wing-back or as the left-side of a back 3 are the only 2 positions that I feel he should play and then only if Obita fails to get back to being his earlier self and Richards doesn't progress or if a left-sided centre-back is unavailable.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 02 Jan 2020 20:02

Plus he used to play for United so you hate him automatically. :lol:

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Jan 2020 12:15

Victor Meldrew
From Despair To Where? Not sure Blackett was rated that highly at United. He got prematurely promoted to the first team squad because of an injury crisis and didn't seem to adjust that well. He then spent 2 years on loan at Birmingham and Celtic where he made a total of 11 appearances. United are the sort of club where, unless you are an exceptional talent for your age group, they will always buy in players ahead of you. I think the move to us came at the right time for him and I doubt he's at the top end of our pay scale.

No,no,no.
He does have a good touch but his spatial awareness is dire-it is something that is essential for any midfielder caught up in the hurly-burly of the centre of the pitch.

Out wide left, either as a wing-back or as the left-side of a back 3 are the only 2 positions that I feel he should play and then only if Obita fails to get back to being his earlier self and Richards doesn't progress or if a left-sided centre-back is unavailable.

The debate as to whether Blackett could play that role has been going on for a while now. Thing is, he looks perfect for that role, and then he drifts out of a game at an important moment and we all remember why he isnt playing in the premier league. His head isnt there.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 03 Jan 2020 16:25

sandman Plus he used to play for United so you hate him automatically. :lol:

No, I was a great fan of Oliver Norwood so not totally biased. :wink:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 Jan 2020 11:59

Looks like he could be off to Fenerbahçe.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Jan 2020 12:06

Shame for us, he is a great back up to have at CB/LB.

162 posts