Blackett to Turkey.

162 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Blackett to Turkey.

by Hound » 07 Jan 2020 12:13

yes a bit of a shame - he has done well recently.

Suppose carrying 3 senior left backs isn't really practical. Either Richards or Obita need to step up their form

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Jan 2020 12:23

Hendo Looks like he could be off to Fenerbahçe.

Where have you seen this?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 Jan 2020 12:24

Hound yes a bit of a shame - he has done well recently.

Suppose carrying 3 senior left backs isn't really practical. Either Richards or Obita need to step up their form

Aren't both Blackett and Obita out of contract at the end of the season as well? Sensible for one to go, but I agree both Obita and Richards need to step it up a bit.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 Jan 2020 12:24

URZZZZ

https://twitter.com/TalkReading/status/1214515635549593600

Fenerbahçe are very close to signing Tyler Blackett and it is very likely that he will join the club this month. [
@AsistAnaliz
] #readingfc

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 07 Jan 2020 12:29

Tricky decision for the club as he has been very good lately. On the one hand we have two other left backs with Obita and Richards and Gunter can play there too and so it does put us in a position whereby if we can recoup the £1M we spent on Blackett this could be considered good business.

Any less than that and I would keep him if it were up to me...but it isn't.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Jan 2020 13:56

Hendo
URZZZZ

https://twitter.com/TalkReading/status/1214515635549593600

Fenerbahçe are very close to signing Tyler Blackett and it is very likely that he will join the club this month. [
@AsistAnaliz
] #readingfc

Really disappointed if true. We've spent all season chopping and changing left back because none are good enough to keep the shirt, Blackett finally makes the shirt his own and looks like he's out

Gunter LB and Yiadom RB for me if it happens, Richards has been pretty awful since September and I don't rate Obita, even before his injury to be honest

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 07 Jan 2020 14:08

I expected him to leave at the end of the season; surprised it's happening now. He's in the best form he's ever been in at the club, so timing is a shame. But Richards and Obita are young and good long term prospects, so not unhappy overall. Imagine they're decent wages to get off the books and we'll get a small fee.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 07 Jan 2020 14:54

andrew1957

Tricky decision for the club as he has been very good lately. On the one hand we have two other left backs with Obita and Richards and Gunter can play there too and so it does put us in a position whereby if we can recoup the £1M we spent on Blackett this could be considered good business.

Any less than that and I would keep him if it were up to me...but it isn't.

I'd like to see him stay but there is no chance of us getting £1m for him. He's a squad player and out of contract in 6 months. It there is any fee it will be no more than about £250,000. The club will see this as shifting a wage off the books.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 07 Jan 2020 15:08

Sorry but this is appalling business. We're on a brilliant run with a settled team and with Blackett being part of a back 4 who have only conceded 2 goals in 6 games. Not to mention he's assisted something like 3 out of the last 4 goals we've scored. Wasn't a massive fan of him but to risk disrupting the teams current form just to get a players wages off the books is ludicrous. Additionally the only cover we have is mediocre at best; we should be pulling out all the stops to stop him leaving.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 Jan 2020 15:20

Jagermesiter1871 Sorry but this is appalling business. We're on a brilliant run with a settled team and with Blackett being part of a back 4 who have only conceded 2 goals in 6 games. Not to mention he's assisted something like 3 out of the last 4 goals we've scored. Wasn't a massive fan of him but to risk disrupting the teams current form just to get a players wages off the books is ludicrous. Additionally the only cover we have is mediocre at best; we should be pulling out all the stops to stop him leaving.

Yes but:

- If he doesn't want to sign a new deal we should be looking to move him on, even if we get a minimal fee and wages off the book, we have 3 LBs and Gunter and that is just too many. Additionally, if we do have the authorities looking at us re: FFP, denying a player to move on may not sit well with them and that could lead down all sorts of problematic routes.

- Blackett is the type of player to drop a clanger every now and again. Yes he is in great form at the moment, which is fantastic, but it wasn't that long ago that his own fans were booing him during a game. Who could blame him if he wanted to leave?
Last edited by Hendo on 07 Jan 2020 15:23, edited 1 time in total.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Jan 2020 15:22

Hendo
Jagermesiter1871 Sorry but this is appalling business. We're on a brilliant run with a settled team and with Blackett being part of a back 4 who have only conceded 2 goals in 6 games. Not to mention he's assisted something like 3 out of the last 4 goals we've scored. Wasn't a massive fan of him but to risk disrupting the teams current form just to get a players wages off the books is ludicrous. Additionally the only cover we have is mediocre at best; we should be pulling out all the stops to stop him leaving.

Yes but:

- If he doesn't want to sign a new deal we should be looking to move him on, even if we get a minimal fee and wages off the book, we have 3 LBs and Gunter and that is just too many. Additionally, if we do have the authorities looking at us re: FPP, denying a player to move on may not sit well with them and that could lead down all sorts of problematic routes.

- Blackett is the type of player to drop a clanger every now and again. Yes he is in great form at the moment, which is fantastic, but it wasn't that long ago that his own fans were booing him during a game. Who could blame him if he wanted to leave?

Yep well said. Sadly people like Jagermeister don't see anything other than their own blinkered view.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jan 2020 15:27

Old Man Andrews
Hendo

Yes but:

- If he doesn't want to sign a new deal we should be looking to move him on, even if we get a minimal fee and wages off the book, we have 3 LBs and Gunter and that is just too many. Additionally, if we do have the authorities looking at us re: FPP, denying a player to move on may not sit well with them and that could lead down all sorts of problematic routes.

Yep well said. Sadly people like Jagermeister don't see anything other than their own blinkered view.

Tough one, can see both points of view.

a) Blackett is in decent form and no real reason to think that will drop off. He strikes me as a Bowen player, and fits better into a back 4 than Obita or Richards imo. Unlikely to get much money for him, and yes it gets 6 months wage off the books, but then he'll be ooc anyway, so no long term commitment. Obita is still not fit enough to play regularly, Richards is a gamble

b) We'll get in a bit of money, save on wages, and we're covered for FBs anyway

tbh, I'm fairly comfortable with either decision that the club makes. If Bowen wants to keep him, then lets do that.

I'm pleased we're shedding a few fringe players though - if we can get bin off Aluko and Mannone, along with a few more, then all good.

Barb

by Barb » 07 Jan 2020 15:46

Been terrible to average for 4 years. Yes he's played well recently but he really isn't a great player. Get money for him then he should go.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 07 Jan 2020 16:09

Hendo

Yes but:

- If he doesn't want to sign a new deal we should be looking to move him on, even if we get a minimal fee and wages off the book, we have 3 LBs and Gunter and that is just too many. Additionally, if we do have the authorities looking at us re: FFP, denying a player to move on may not sit well with them and that could lead down all sorts of problematic routes.

- I can only assume ffp isn't a massive on going concern after all the money spunked at the end of the summer. If it is than not only would Blacketts wages/potential fee be a drop in the ocean but I'd be extremely concerned with running of the club if they sanctioned the summer spend whilst being in such financial straits. There hasn't been anything to suggest he doesn't want to be here and I would assume the fact he appears a staple in the team at the moment he might fancy his chances of staking a claim long term to that position. The alternative options at lb are a combination of unproven, injury prone or not very good. Really he's our only viable option there.

Again haven't seen anything to suggest he wants a move. Maybe he does but playing well for the remainder of the season is his best option either way.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Jan 2020 16:25

Jagermesiter1871
Hendo

Yes but:

- I can only assume ffp isn't a massive on going concern after all the money spunked at the end of the summer. If it is than not only would Blacketts wages/potential fee be a drop in the ocean but I'd be extremely concerned with running of the club if they sanctioned the summer spend whilst being in such financial straits. There hasn't been anything to suggest he doesn't want to be here and I would assume the fact he appears a staple in the team at the moment he might fancy his chances of staking a claim long term to that position. The alternative options at lb are a combination of unproven, injury prone or not very good. Really he's our only viable option there.

Again haven't seen anything to suggest he wants a move. Maybe he does but playing well for the remainder of the season is his best option either way.

Agree with that. If FFP was seriously an issue, we’d be doing more than moving on someone like Blackett, who with 6 months left on his contract, won’t generate high levels of money

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 07 Jan 2020 16:27

perhaps we let blackett go, obita is ooc in the summer let him go along with gunter. and bring in a decent LB this window with richards as back up

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jan 2020 16:29

Old Man Andrews
Hendo

Yes but:

Complains about people disrespecting his opinion and being rude to him.

Is constantly rude and dismissive about other people's opinions and knowledge.

Be a shame to see Blackett go, but as others have said with 3 LBs and 3 RBs, one or two who can play LB, something has to give. So if he's the one in demand and it frees up / brings in money, then fair enough - I won't be crying. But I will be thanking him and wishing him luck.

There's a lot of bullshit rumours though, so in the fairly likely event this doesn't happen that's also fine.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Jan 2020 17:19

Agreed. Plus Richards defensive ability is a big question mark as is Obita’s long term fitness. He is finally playing to his ability and been an important part of our recent run. He is also only 25. I still think he will be offered a new deal and will stay.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 Jan 2020 17:20

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Jan 2020 17:37

Hendo https://twitter.com/ChronCourtney/status/1214596757667172353

Looks like this one might rumble on.

This doesn’t surprise me. I just don’t think Bowen would want to lose someone who has every chance of nailing the left back position for the rest of the season particularly if he is sold for next to nothing.

162 posts