Reading players out of contract in summer 2020

217 posts
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Reading players out of contract in summer 2020

by NewCorkSeth » 26 May 2020 09:21

Ugh. The Loader situation really does wind me up now. Why didn't we sell him when we had the chance? I'm so confused by the whole thing.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Sky Sports reports that Reading FC have withdrawn their offer to Danny Loader.

by Millsy » 26 May 2020 09:25

Owlish52 By Adam Goodwin - Last Updated: 25/05/20 11:08pm

"Reading have informed Loader they have withdrawn an offer of a new long-term deal, citing the unprecedented situation the club faces due to the coronavirus pandemic."

He wasn't likely to sign it anyway. Sad to see him go and wish him good luck in the future. I do not think he'll be happy, as I do not believe he's ready for PL action and may find the on-loan life uncomfortable.

Sorry to say this but it serves him right really.

Much as I love footy and defend the stupid wages when my eggchasing family moan about it, the truth is they have been stupidly high for ages. (the wages not my family)

Whatever he was being offered will have been much higher than the annual salary of anyone on this board I'm guessing. He should have accepted it when he had the chance - likely a very good wage at the club he should have been loyal to. But oh no, players have no loyalty and get swept away with the belief that they are owed a fortune for kicking a ball around while our nhs staff are literally dying for annual salaries less than what these kids are paid in a week.

You don't know what you've lost until it's gone.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 26 May 2020 09:35

Why didn’t we take the money last summer?

And what’s he ever offered us, apart from a rare bit of brilliance at Boro? Players like Rinomhota, who keep their feet on the ground and produce week in week out, are worth far more to a club like us. Consistency over flashiness for me every day

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 26 May 2020 10:24

If we withdraw the contract offer, does that mean we won't get any compensation?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 May 2020 10:51

Pepe the Horseman If we withdraw the contract offer, does that mean we won't get any compensation?

Pepe with the right question.

One87One

by One87One » 26 May 2020 11:56

NewCorkSeth Ugh. The Loader situation really does wind me up now. Why didn't we sell him when we had the chance? I'm so confused by the whole thing.

Perhaps Wolves didn't want to pay out knowing he'd walk on a free a few months later, or perhaps we were asking for too much.

One87One

by One87One » 26 May 2020 11:57

Pepe the Horseman If we withdraw the contract offer, does that mean we won't get any compensation?

If he's under whatever the age is, then we get compo no matter what contract negotiations did or did not take place.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Sky Sports reports that Reading FC have withdrawn their offer to Danny Loader.

by Sutekh » 26 May 2020 13:10

2 world wars, 1 world cup

"Reading have informed Loader they have withdrawn an offer of a new long-term deal, citing the unprecedented situation the club faces due to the coronavirus pandemic."

He wasn't likely to sign it anyway. Sad to see him go and wish him good luck in the future. I do not think he'll be happy, as I do not believe he's ready for PL action and may find the on-loan life uncomfortable.

Much as I love footy and defend the stupid wages when my eggchasing family moan about it, the truth is they have been stupidly high for ages. (the wages not my family)

Whatever he was being offered will have been much higher than the annual salary of anyone on this board I'm guessing. He should have accepted it when he had the chance - likely a very good wage at the club he should have been loyal to. But oh no, players have no loyalty and get swept away with the belief that they are owed a fortune for kicking a ball around while our nhs staff are literally dying for annual salaries less than what these kids are paid in a week.

Agree with this. There is a rumour floating around that FL clubs are at last considering implementing a wage cap which is something long over due I think in a good many team sports. OK you may argue it’s a free market economy etc. and if club X wants to spend idiot amounts on its staff then it should be entitled to do so but I don’t think that should be allowed when so many clubs spend too much of their income on wages and therefore ride close to FFP (which in itself is more than strange in that it allows losing up to £39 million over three seasons).

As to Danny, he’s still very young and he’ll see being in the books of a PL club as a real step up. He knows he’s likely to only be playing domestic cup games or going out on loan whenever the next season starts but if he doesn’t take the opportunity when it arises then he might never get another shout. Up to him to prove himself and good luck to him but he’s certainly got a long way to go. Presume that because a contract was offered that Reading will get a tribunal decided fee for him given his age and time spent in the Academy?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 May 2020 16:16

Sutekh
2 world wars, 1 world cup

Agree with this. There is a rumour floating around that FL clubs are at last considering implementing a wage cap which is something long over due I think in a good many team sports. OK you may argue it’s a free market economy etc. and if club X wants to spend idiot amounts on its staff then it should be entitled to do so but I don’t think that should be allowed when so many clubs spend too much of their income on wages and therefore ride close to FFP (which in itself is more than strange in that it allows losing up to £39 million over three seasons).

As to Danny, he’s still very young and he’ll see being in the books of a PL club as a real step up. He knows he’s likely to only be playing domestic cup games or going out on loan whenever the next season starts but if he doesn’t take the opportunity when it arises then he might never get another shout. Up to him to prove himself and good luck to him but he’s certainly got a long way to go. Presume that because a contract was offered that Reading will get a tribunal decided fee for him given his age and time spent in the Academy?

I am convinced that all jobs should have a wage and bonus cap.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 May 2020 16:17

One87One
NewCorkSeth Ugh. The Loader situation really does wind me up now. Why didn't we sell him when we had the chance? I'm so confused by the whole thing.

Perhaps Wolves didn't want to pay out knowing he'd walk on a free a few months later, or perhaps we were asking for too much.

I mean, maybe. But if he performed really well this season a bigger club could have popped up for him? Risky strategy.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 27 May 2020 08:47

I believe Boye is out of contract in the summer at Torino. Interestingly enough if you listen to podcasts a lot of the players say that some of the stuff he does in training is unbelievable so I can see him staying, especially if we are losing McCleary which looks likely.

I think Gunter and either Blackett or Obita will be offered a new deal on significantly lower terms.

In terms of wages we will be releasing McCleary, Mannone, Popa, Blackett or Obita, maybe Gunter which is a significant sum of money. When Mannone and Popa signed they were in top three earners in the and Mannone was in about 30k a week. Utter madness

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 27 May 2020 14:56

gazzer, loyal royal I believe Boye is out of contract in the summer at Torino. Interestingly enough if you listen to podcasts a lot of the players say that some of the stuff he does in training is unbelievable so I can see him staying, especially if we are losing McCleary which looks likely.

I think Gunter and either Blackett or Obita will be offered a new deal on significantly lower terms.

In terms of wages we will be releasing McCleary, Mannone, Popa, Blackett or Obita, maybe Gunter which is a significant sum of money. When Mannone and Popa signed they were in top three earners in the and Mannone was in about 30k a week. Utter madness

Football is about to come down to earth with a bloody big bump. 30K a week in the championship is a thing
of the past.It will be more like 3k.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 May 2020 12:32

gazzer, loyal royal I believe Boye is out of contract in the summer at Torino. Interestingly enough if you listen to podcasts a lot of the players say that some of the stuff he does in training is unbelievable so I can see him staying, especially if we are losing McCleary which looks likely.

To be fair, some of his passing and control on the pitch was pretty unbelievably bad... hence why he didn't play much.

Popa a top wage earner is reason to simply fold the club. At least Mannone had been a recent PL keeper.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 01 Jun 2020 16:26

One87One

If he's under whatever the age is, then we get compo no matter what contract negotiations did or did not take place.

This is wrong, he needs to have been offered a contract on at least his current terms or we forfeit our right to compensation.

Not sure of the chapter and verse but I think the offer has to be on the table when his existing deal expires.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 Jun 2020 17:36

SCIAG
One87One

This is wrong, he needs to have been offered a contract on at least his current terms or we forfeit our right to compensation.

Not sure of the chapter and verse but I think the offer has to be on the table when his existing deal expires.

So we withdraw the improved deal and replace it with a one year option on the same terms as his current deal ?

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 01 Jun 2020 18:26

Nameless
SCIAG
One87One

So we withdraw the improved deal and replace it with a one year option on the same terms as his current deal ?

I agree. Apparently we offered £9K a week to him - which frankly sounds way too much but I presume that "any" new offer that matches his current terms (even though he will refuse) would entitle us to compensation. I just don't see why we would make no contract offer and let him go for nothing.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 02 Jun 2020 19:04

Serious question. Does anyone think we will try to negotiate short term contract extensions for the players like Blackett, Loader, Adam, Miazga, Boye, Gomes, McCleary and Gunter etc who are out of contract on 30 June or will we let them go and play the Academy lads until the end of the season. Also what happens with say Ejaria - as we were supposed to be buying him at the end of the season. I suppose in that case Liverpool might extend the loan until a deal is completed.

Personally - as our chances of the play offs are low - I would go for the latter as not only will it save money in these tough times but also mean that some of the younger lads will get more experience - especially with 5 subs allowed.

As for the end of the season of those out of contract I hope we can keep Obita and buy Ejaria - but I doubt any of the others will be offered an extension.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jun 2020 19:25

andrew1957 Serious question. Does anyone think we will try to negotiate short term contract extensions for the players like Blackett, Loader, Adam, Miazga, Boye, Gomes, McCleary and Gunter etc who are out of contract on 30 June or will we let them go and play the Academy lads until the end of the season. Also what happens with say Ejaria - as we were supposed to be buying him at the end of the season. I suppose in that case Liverpool might extend the loan until a deal is completed.

Personally - as our chances of the play offs are low - I would go for the latter as not only will it save money in these tough times but also mean that some of the younger lads will get more experience - especially with 5 subs allowed.

As for the end of the season of those out of contract I hope we can keep Obita and buy Ejaria - but I doubt any of the others will be offered an extension.

I Hiram H Hackenbacker

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 02 Jun 2020 22:25

Snowflake Royal
andrew1957 Serious question. Does anyone think we will try to negotiate short term contract extensions for the players like Blackett, Loader, Adam, Miazga, Boye, Gomes, McCleary and Gunter etc who are out of contract on 30 June or will we let them go and play the Academy lads until the end of the season. Also what happens with say Ejaria - as we were supposed to be buying him at the end of the season. I suppose in that case Liverpool might extend the loan until a deal is completed.

I Hiram H Hackenbacker

Indeed. I am probably wasting my time on here with you lower intelligence life forms.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 Jun 2020 12:14

Has the situation been clarified legally ? Is there a requirement to renegotiate every deal separately ? Can an out of contract player sign and play for another club ? Would any extension be a simple change of end date or could players demand extra money / clubs offer reduced terms ?
Does the Ejaria purchase kick in on a fixed date ?
I’d not be offering extensions to anyone unless there is a strong chance of them playing most of the remaking games, or staying next season. So of the OOC players Pele and Obita are the only 2 I’d be even considering talking to about deals. The others either just aren’t in our plans or can be replaced by home grown players for the remaining games.

217 posts