Reading players out of contract in summer 2020

217 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Reading players out of contract in summer 2020

by Sutekh » 03 Jun 2020 13:21

Nameless
andrew1957 Serious question. Does anyone think we will try to negotiate short term contract extensions for the players like Blackett, Loader, Adam, Miazga, Boye, Gomes, McCleary and Gunter etc who are out of contract on 30 June or will we let them go and play the Academy lads until the end of the season. Also what happens with say Ejaria - as we were supposed to be buying him at the end of the season. I suppose in that case Liverpool might extend the loan until a deal is completed.

Personally - as our chances of the play offs are low - I would go for the latter as not only will it save money in these tough times but also mean that some of the younger lads will get more experience - especially with 5 subs allowed.

As for the end of the season of those out of contract I hope we can keep Obita and buy Ejaria - but I doubt any of the others will be offered an extension.

Has the situation been clarified legally ? Is there a requirement to renegotiate every deal separately ? Can an out of contract player sign and play for another club ? Would any extension be a simple change of end date or could players demand extra money / clubs offer reduced terms ?
Does the Ejaria purchase kick in on a fixed date ?
I’d not be offering extensions to anyone unless there is a strong chance of them playing most of the remaking games, or staying next season. So of the OOC players Pele and Obita are the only 2 I’d be even considering talking to about deals. The others either just aren’t in our plans or can be replaced by home grown players for the remaining games.

Ejaria is expected to become a Reading player permanently on 1st July. Believe a deal to commit to the purchase was made last summer, however with everything in such a state at the moment who knows whether it will all go ahead or whether the club will lose his services after this date.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 03 Jun 2020 13:32

Nameless
andrew1957 Serious question. Does anyone think we will try to negotiate short term contract extensions for the players like Blackett, Loader, Adam, Miazga, Boye, Gomes, McCleary and Gunter etc who are out of contract on 30 June or will we let them go and play the Academy lads until the end of the season. Also what happens with say Ejaria - as we were supposed to be buying him at the end of the season. I suppose in that case Liverpool might extend the loan until a deal is completed.

Personally - as our chances of the play offs are low - I would go for the latter as not only will it save money in these tough times but also mean that some of the younger lads will get more experience - especially with 5 subs allowed.

As for the end of the season of those out of contract I hope we can keep Obita and buy Ejaria - but I doubt any of the others will be offered an extension.

Has the situation been clarified legally ? Is there a requirement to renegotiate every deal separately ? Can an out of contract player sign and play for another club ? Would any extension be a simple change of end date or could players demand extra money / clubs offer reduced terms ?
I’d not be offering extensions to anyone unless there is a strong chance of them playing most of the remaking games, or staying next season. So of the OOC players Pele and Obita are the only 2 I’d be even considering talking to about deals. The others either just aren’t in our plans or can be replaced by home grown players for the remaining games.

According to the local rag we have until 23rd June to either offer players out of contract a new one or release them. Short term contract extensions will be allowed. I assume the same will apply to loan players and we will either have to extend loans after 30/6 or send them back to their parent clubs. As for Ejaria I assume we either have to pay up to make permanent or send him back. Surely the club will want to make that deal happen. I am not sure we can afford Pele but do hope we keep Obita and perhaps offer Gunter an extension until the end of the season.

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... g-18350654

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Jun 2020 13:40

andrew1957
Nameless

According to the local rag we have until 23rd June to either offer players out of contract a new one or release them. Short term contract extensions will be allowed. I assume the same will apply to loan players and we will either have to extend loans after 30/6 or send them back to their parent clubs. As for Ejaria I assume we either have to pay up to make permanent or send him back. Surely the club will want to make that deal happen. I am not sure we can afford Pele but do hope we keep Obita and perhaps offer Gunter an extension until the end of the season.

Chris Gunter is one I would offer a new deal to. While the terms would be reduced it’s something I would certainly look to see if something could be agreed as who knows what the transfer market will be like at the moment given the seeming lack of guidance over FFP and the transfer window from the powers that be.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Jun 2020 13:16

Chris Gunter currently being linked with Middlesbrough and Birmingham City.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jun 2020 16:38

And officially gone come the end of season.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 24 Jun 2020 12:12

andrew1957
Nameless

Has anything been announced yet regarding who has taken a short-term extension/extended loan/long term contract?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 26 Jun 2020 12:26

Loader leaving next week, but we all knew that anyway.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Jun 2020 13:33

windermereROYAL Loader leaving next week, but we all knew that anyway.

Yep, he’s gone! All other out of contract players have signed their short term deals to the end of the season though.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 26 Jun 2020 14:42

windermereROYAL Loader leaving next week, but we all knew that anyway.

Never has a player been bigged up as much in the media and delivered so little as this guy. All the best but good to see the end of this saga!

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 26 Jun 2020 14:43

I am a great follower of the Academy and love it when we bring young players through and give them a chance. In the case of Loader he clearly thinks he is far better than he has shown us so far and it leaves a very bad taste in my mouth that he has not even tried to make it here at the club that has spent a lot of money bringing him through the youth ranks.

When a young payer acts in this way (badly advised or not) one can only really hope he fails wherever he ends up as a lesson to those coming after him through the Academy.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 26 Jun 2020 15:31

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2020/j ... d-of-july/

Charlie Adam, Tyler Blackett, Chris Gunter, Garath McCleary, Jordan Obita and Gabe Osho have all offered to extend their services to the club until the end of July – we are grateful to all six professionals for their continued commitment to the Royals cause as we aim to end this campaign as strongly as possible.

The deadline for signing these short-term contract extensions passed earlier this week and young forward Danny Loader opted not to sign an extension.

Discussions with Chelsea, AS Monaco, Liverpool, Beijing Renhe and Torino are ongoing regarding the five loan players extending their contracts to the end of July – these discussions will be concluded before the end of June when each of our current loanees’ deals with the club are set to expire.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 26 Jun 2020 16:18

young forward Danny Loader opted not to sign an extension.

Discussions with Chelsea, AS Monaco, Liverpool, Beijing Renhe and Torino are ongoing

Thought these two things were linked for a second :oops:

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 26 Jun 2020 18:48

andrew1957 I am a great follower of the Academy and love it when we bring young players through and give them a chance. In the case of Loader he clearly thinks he is far better than he has shown us so far and it leaves a very bad taste in my mouth that he has not even tried to make it here at the club that has spent a lot of money bringing him through the youth ranks.

When a young payer acts in this way (badly advised or not) one can only really hope he fails wherever he ends up as a lesson to those coming after him through the Academy.

That's a horrible attitude to have. Life's too short to do anything but wish him well really.

This time last year, he must have been looking forward to getting a chance up front, and then we spend millions we don't have on centre forwards, so he ended up with another season playing once or twice in midfield.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 26 Jun 2020 19:13

Loader was gone the moment we rejected Wolves' bid last summer. In hindsight, a bad move by the club, doubly frustrating considering he's shown nowhere near enough to justify the hype.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Jun 2020 20:14

Have to say massively disappointed with Loader. Hasn't even remotely delivered on his youth team promise. Very mediocre first tea performances mostly seeming to lack any real determination or desire to score, and then a too big for his boots off for the high life at the first opportunity attitude it seems.

Can't see him getting far like that, and now he's off I've absolutely no interest in how he does. Good luck to him and good riddance.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 28 Jun 2020 09:35

I think Loader is being well advised by his Agent here. Having failed to make the progession from youth/U23 to first team, they both know that this is the one and only opportunity to cash in on his "potential". Yes, he'll go to a bigger club, get a fat signing on fee and more wages. Then he'll be loaned out and fall down the pecking order before spending the rest of his career in League One. I wish him luck but I'm not gutted that he's leaving.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Jun 2020 09:52

From Despair To Where? Loader was gone the moment we rejected Wolves' bid last summer. In hindsight, a bad move by the club, doubly frustrating considering he's shown nowhere near enough to justify the hype.

Given his lack of progression I’m a bit surprised there is still interest in him. Perhaps he will flourish elsewhere but he will have to show a lot more than he’s shown over the past couple of seasons.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jun 2020 13:10

Muskrat I think Loader is being well advised by his Agent here. Having failed to make the progession from youth/U23 to first team, they both know that this is the one and only opportunity to cash in on his "potential". Yes, he'll go to a bigger club, get a fat signing on fee and more wages. Then he'll be loaned out and fall down the pecking order before spending the rest of his career in League One. I wish him luck but I'm not gutted that he's leaving.

Could see a failure and drop down the leagues galvanising him, or breaking him. He's got the potential to play consistently at Championship or maybe higher, don't think he's going about the right way to do it though.

Hogmeister Royal

by Hogmeister Royal » 28 Jun 2020 23:50

Sad to see him go, had a lot of time for Danny Loader and felt he could and should have been given more of an opportunity in the first team (instead of bring played in midfield the only time he had any sort of run in the team). In the circumstances, can hardly blame him for this decision and personally expect him to do a lot better than some of the comments above predict.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 29 Jun 2020 14:32

Hogmeister Royal Sad to see him go, had a lot of time for Danny Loader and felt he could and should have been given more of an opportunity in the first team (instead of bring played in midfield the only time he had any sort of run in the team). In the circumstances, can hardly blame him for this decision and personally expect him to do a lot better than some of the comments above predict.

Not feeling the same sentiment. This has not got the Antonio feeling about it.

217 posts