Rumour - Alexandre Mattos

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

Rumour - Alexandre Mattos

by royalp-we » 06 Jan 2020 01:14

Alexandre Mattos will be executive of Reading FC, England's second division club. But until he gets a work visa, he will command Cruzeiro's football at this time of transition, without receiving any remuneration.

The English club has the same Chinese investor as three other clubs, two in China (one in the first, one in the second division) and one in the second division of Belgium. One of the roles of Mattos, who will live in London, will be to take care of Reading FC's relationship with these clubs.

https://globoesporte.globo.com/futebol/ ... idao.ghtml

I don’t know a single thing about this guy apparently coming in as a Tevreden / Gourlay type role for the club(s), but it appears he has worked for a number of years at CEO level at some huge clubs in his native Brazil.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Rumour - Alexandre Mattos

by Sutekh » 06 Jan 2020 06:30

From what I can see it looks like he will actually join Reading in a couple of months once work permits etc. are sorted out and in the meantime he’ll work for Cruzeiro to hand over to his replacement.

There are several clubs in Brazil with Cruzeiro in the name but think it’s Cruzeiro Esporte Clube who play in Belo Horizonte (Brazil Serie B). Believe he’s also has a stint with Palmeiras (who play in Sao Paulo) for a little while.

Anyone know anything of Brazilian football who can add more?

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 06 Jan 2020 07:00

Sutekh From what I can see it looks like he will actually join Reading in a couple of months once work permits etc. are sorted out and in the meantime he’ll work for Cruzeiro to hand over to his replacement.

There are several clubs in Brazil with Cruzeiro in the name but think it’s Cruzeiro Esporte Clube who play in Belo Horizonte (Brazil Serie B). Believe he’s also has a stint with Palmeiras (who play in Sao Paulo) for a little while.

Anyone know anything of Brazilian football who can add more?

Maffff

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 06 Jan 2020 10:16

royalp-we [i]

apparently coming in as a Tevreden / Gourlay type role for the club(s),

God help us. :shock:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Jan 2020 19:23

He’s apparently going act as an “executive” for Reading, Roeslaere and the 2 clubs in China owned by Mr Yongge

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... g-17519068

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 06 Jan 2020 20:09

Sutekh He’s apparently going act as an “executive” for Reading, Roeslaere and the 2 clubs in China owned by Mr Yongge

Which is a bit weird. Who is our second Chinese club?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 06 Jan 2020 21:03

maffff
Sutekh He’s apparently going act as an “executive” for Reading, Roeslaere and the 2 clubs in China owned by Mr Yongge

Guangzhou Evergrande.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 06 Jan 2020 21:04

I have it on good authority that he will sack Bowen and accidentally appoint himself.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Jan 2020 18:32

Apparently he’s famed for bringing lots of players

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... y-17526712

By the way shouldn’t this thread now be updated as Confimred and moved to the team forum

Barb

by Barb » 08 Jan 2020 19:26

Sutekh Apparently he’s famed for bringing lots of players

By the way shouldn’t this thread now be updated as Confimred and moved to the team forum

Sounds like exactly the type of person we should be trying to stay away from. At least this time we have Howe overseeing things.

We do t seem to learn.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 Jan 2020 07:55

Barb

Sounds like exactly the type of person we should be trying to stay away from. At least this time we have Howe overseeing things.

We do t seem to learn.

That's one-way of spinning it. You could also say he rebuilt and took a squad on the brink of relegation to 2 titles within 3 years. He then repeated the trick at a second club.

Yes, there are question marks, the bit about big money signings is a concern, but I think part of the problem is nobody has a clue who he is. On the face of it though, this appointment makes more sense than some of the ones we've made in the past 4 years. This looks like a Joorabchian deal but to be fair, despite all the doom mongering a year ago over his alleged involvement in transfers, things haven't worked out too badly so far.

I also see signs that the owners are learning from past mistakes so if he bombs, he'll be out the door pretty quickly.

As I say with all signings, let's not condemn him before he's even walked through the door.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 09 Jan 2020 08:30

Will wait a bit before judging but the "lots of signings" part and the "will want to be front and centre" scare the shit out of me.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 09 Jan 2020 09:37

All we want is a sensible DoF, who believes in detailed scouting, getting the right sort of person as well as player, and believes in improving recruits through coaching. They can spend big if they need, but within these principles.

This guy may be a good fit; we know nothing about him to judge either way. Ideally you'd want more knowledge on the UK and Europe, but he is part of a team with this knowledge so attitude and ethos is more important.

Barb

by Barb » 09 Jan 2020 09:46

I suppose we cant forget that he's not like a CEO Gourlay type, who had the run of the place. He is only the DOF effectively and will report to Howe, who will sign off on everything.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 09 Jan 2020 13:27

WestYorksRoyal All we want is a sensible DoF, who believes in detailed scouting, getting the right sort of person as well as player, and believes in improving recruits through coaching. They can spend big if they need, but within these principles.

This guy may be a good fit; we know nothing about him to judge either way. Ideally you'd want more knowledge on the UK and Europe, but he is part of a team with this knowledge so attitude and ethos is more important.

His contributions led to four série a titles in six years. So he seems to have a clue in Brazil at least!

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 09 Jan 2020 13:54

maffff
WestYorksRoyal All we want is a sensible DoF, who believes in detailed scouting, getting the right sort of person as well as player, and believes in improving recruits through coaching. They can spend big if they need, but within these principles.

His contributions led to four série a titles in six years. So he seems to have a clue in Brazil at least!

Yeah but sure every Tom, Dick and Harry on the streets of Brazil can play football. Signing loads of players and seeing who works out is a decent plan there. We would just end up with a load of crap on inflated wages. We should copy Brentford. Scouting, scouting and more scouting. Or Sheffield United. Coaching, coaching and more coaching.

I'm only half serious before anyone decides this is worth debating.

RFCMod

by RFCMod » 09 Jan 2020 14:04

NewCorkSeth
maffff

Guangzhou Evergrande.

Im not sure about that

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 09 Jan 2020 14:35

RFCMod
NewCorkSeth
maffff Which is a bit weird. Who is our second Chinese club?

Guangzhou Evergrande.

Im not sure about that

Neither am I.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Jan 2020 17:46

From Despair To Where?
Barb

We do t seem to learn.

That's one-way of spinning it. You could also say he rebuilt and took a squad on the brink of relegation to 2 titles within 3 years. He then repeated the trick at a second club.

Yes, there are question marks, the bit about big money signings is a concern, but I think part of the problem is nobody has a clue who he is. On the face of it though, this appointment makes more sense than some of the ones we've made in the past 4 years. This looks like a Joorabchian deal but to be fair, despite all the doom mongering a year ago over his alleged involvement in transfers, things haven't worked out too badly so far.

I also see signs that the owners are learning from past mistakes so if he bombs, he'll be out the door pretty quickly.

As I say with all signings, let's not condemn him before he's even walked through the door.

Someone who knows about big money signings isn't necessarily bad. I mean, we're oxf*rd awful at them so it wouldn't take much to improve our record on our big spending would it!

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 10 Jan 2020 02:06

Well, his stop-gap to help out his former side Cruzeiro has lasted 4 days. The vice-president who brought him in has left and he doesn’t feel it’s right to stay at the club. It is thought they will file for bankruptcy in the coming days.

Expect him to be appointed at Reading as soon as his work permit is received.

After doing a little research, he’s been very successful in Brazil and this sounds like an ambitious appointment by the owners. Let’s hope it pays off.