Swift to... Southampton

432 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Swift to... Southampton

by URZZZZ » 07 Jan 2020 16:23

Old Man Andrews
WestYorksRoyal
Old Man Andrews TM put his value as £4.05 as of October. That would have obviously increased with his recent form. In real terms you must only be looking at about £6m though. Add todays inflated prices and what he would mean to us you're looking at about £10m imo.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/john-sw ... ler/197693

Probably fair. But we're still better off with Swift than we are with £10m. So my view remains any club must be willing to pay well over the odds.

Depends on what the plan would be with the money. If it means we can offer Ejaria more in the summer to keep him plus maybe a Lewis Baker on a perm I might just side toward selling Swift.

No way

Unless the offer was ridiculously high, I’d never do that. Swift is by far and away our best player at the moment

Ejaria is ineffective without Swift IMO. The two lacklustre displays against Barnsley and Stoke show that

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jan 2020 16:25

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews
WestYorksRoyal Probably fair. But we're still better off with Swift than we are with £10m. So my view remains any club must be willing to pay well over the odds.

Depends on what the plan would be with the money. If it means we can offer Ejaria more in the summer to keep him plus maybe a Lewis Baker on a perm I might just side toward selling Swift.

No way

Unless the offer was ridiculously high, I’d never do that. Swift is by far and away our best player at the moment

Ejaria is ineffective without Swift IMO. The two lacklustre displays against Barnsley and Stoke show that

the team is ineffective without Swift full stop

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Jan 2020 16:32

Hound
URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews Depends on what the plan would be with the money. If it means we can offer Ejaria more in the summer to keep him plus maybe a Lewis Baker on a perm I might just side toward selling Swift.

No way

Which is a dangerous game. One bad injury/one ridiculous lump of money thrown at him and who knows what’ll happen

I wouldn’t be against signing someone in the Swift mould as a backup. Wouldn’t be as effective, but could be a necessary signing. I think Olise would benefit from having a loan out the rest of the season, because he didn’t look ready for Champ football based off Saturday’s performance

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Jan 2020 16:33

URZZZZ
Hound
URZZZZ
No way

Which is a dangerous game. One bad injury/one ridiculous lump of money thrown at him and who knows what’ll happen

I wouldn’t be against signing someone in the Swift mould as a backup. Wouldn’t be as effective, but could be a necessary signing. I think Olise would benefit from having a loan out the rest of the season, because he didn’t look ready for Champ football based off Saturday’s performance

Looked ready to me.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jan 2020 16:35

Hound
URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews Depends on what the plan would be with the money. If it means we can offer Ejaria more in the summer to keep him plus maybe a Lewis Baker on a perm I might just side toward selling Swift.

No way

As a previous big critic of Swift's, letting him go for anything other than mega money right now is madness if we can avoid it.

And by mega, I'm talking £15m absolute minimum, preferably £20m+)

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Jan 2020 16:38

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
Hound

Looked ready to me.

He looks like he has talent but obviously at such a young age, many flaws still

If we could mindread into the future, it’d be extremely helpful. As far as I see it, if we actually have any aspirations for top 6, we’d need a bit more than Olise as a backup midfielder and perhaps loaning him out could be more beneficial. But if we curtail into mid table mediocrity, it’d be really useful to keep him around the squad and develop him ourselves in games that don’t really matter too much to us

Think he’ll struggle to make the matchday squad with everyone fit though

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Jan 2020 16:46

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ

Looked ready to me.

If we could mindread into the future, it’d be extremely helpful. As far as I see it, if we actually have any aspirations for top 6, we’d need a bit more than Olise as a backup midfielder and perhaps loaning him out could be more beneficial. But if we curtail into mid table mediocrity, it’d be really useful to keep him around the squad and develop him ourselves in games that don’t really matter too much to us

Dunno man, players are ready when they are ready and all that but look at Bellingham. Bet there wasnt massive calls for him to start over the summer.

Olise is talented and ready for more football. A half season loan wouldn't help him nearly as much as getting a few 100 minutes of first team football with us. Learning the role of Swift and philosophy of Bowen. I mean, hes played 42 minutes this season and has an assist.

Is he rightfully behind Swift, Ejaria, Pele, Adam and Rinomhota in the pecking order? Yup. Should he be on the bench? Yup. Especially considering we manage to start 4 of the 5 ahead of him every game now.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Jan 2020 16:51

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth Looked ready to me.

Dunno man, players are ready when they are ready and all that but look at Bellingham. Bet there wasnt massive calls for him to start over the summer.

Olise is talented and ready for more football. A half season loan wouldn't help him nearly as much as getting a few 100 minutes of first team football with us. Learning the role of Swift and philosophy of Bowen. I mean, hes played 42 minutes this season and has an assist.

Is he rightfully behind Swift, Ejaria, Pele, Adam and Rinomhota in the pecking order? Yup. Should he be on the bench? Yup. Especially considering we manage to start 4 of the 5 ahead of him every game now.

Roughly though, we have a set XI (the 11 that have played the last few). Therefore choosing seven from:

Walker Obita Richards Miazga McIntyre Yiadom/Gunter, Rino, Olise, Aluko, McCleary, Boye, Loader, Puscas and Baldock will be extremely hard (plus any new incomings should we happen to choose one)

Now based off what you post, I reckon you’d go for Walker Obita Miazga Rino Olise Baldock Puscas as your subs but not sure that covers enough areas and that we should have a winger on the bench (in which Olise is the obvious fall guy)

Tough choices ahead, squad does need trimming a bit

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Jan 2020 16:59

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ

Roughly though, we have a set XI (the 11 that have played the last few). Therefore choosing seven from:

Walker Obita Richards Miazga McIntyre Yiadom/Gunter, Rino, Olise, Aluko, McCleary, Boye, Loader, Puscas and Baldock will be extremely hard (plus any new incomings should we happen to choose one)

Now based off what you post, I reckon you’d go for Walker Obita Miazga Rino Olise Baldock Puscas as your subs but not sure that covers enough areas and that we should have a winger on the bench (in which Olise is the obvious fall guy)

Our game plan has to include the fact that Charlie Adam will be subbed off at some point. Leaving only Rinomhota (and McCleary) as our cover centrally is not good when Swift could break at any moment and Ejaria looks very breakable. Baldock and Obita cover the wide positions adequately enough (especially considering the majority of our wide play comes from the full backs and we mostly play it through the center of the pack anyway).

For me a bench of:
Walker - GK
Obita - LB, LW (Swap for Gunter when Yiadom is back :wink: )
Miazga - CB
Rinomhota - DM, CM
Olise - CM
Baldock - LW, ST
Puscas - ST

Is the best we can do. And it isn't even bad. Yiadom covers RW in a bind, Gunter covers LB, Joao plays well in a deep role. Sadly McCleary should drop out again.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Jan 2020 17:15

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth Dunno man, players are ready when they are ready and all that but look at Bellingham. Bet there wasnt massive calls for him to start over the summer.

Our game plan has to include the fact that Charlie Adam will be subbed off at some point. Leaving only Rinomhota (and McCleary) as our cover centrally is not good when Swift could break at any moment and Ejaria looks very breakable. Baldock and Obita cover the wide positions adequately enough (especially considering the majority of our wide play comes from the full backs and we mostly play it through the center of the pack anyway).

For me a bench of:
Walker - GK
Miazga - CB
Rinomhota - DM, CM
Olise - CM
Baldock - LW, ST
Puscas - ST

Is the best we can do. And it isn't even bad. Yiadom covers RW in a bind, Gunter covers LB, Joao plays well in a deep role. Sadly McCleary should drop out again.

That’s a very strong bench. It relies on all our players being fit which doesn’t happen very often but even so we are not too far away from that at the moment. However I think Bowen would have Boye on the bench ahead of Olise which I disagree with. The Boye loan needs to be ended this month as it isn’t working out.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Jan 2020 17:22

Zip
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ

For me a bench of:
Walker - GK
Miazga - CB
Rinomhota - DM, CM
Olise - CM
Baldock - LW, ST
Puscas - ST

That’s a very strong bench. It relies on all our players being fit which doesn’t happen very often but even so we are not too far away from that at the moment. However I think Bowen would have Boye on the bench ahead of Olise which I disagree with. The Boye loan needs to be ended this month as it isn’t working out.

I think NCS disagrees with you there :wink:

With more and more first teamers available, I can easily see Boye dropping from the squad. Bowen did it to him after his awful performance against Birmingham (he wasn’t in the 18 vs Barnsley) and Saturday wouldn’t have proved anything else he didn’t know

I still maintain he hasn’t been given enough of a chance. I saw somewhere that Saturday was his first start at the Madejski all season. The problem for him was I think Gomes intended to use a 4-2-3-1 in which Boye could feature more but then Gomes changed to a 5-3-2 which didn’t really have a place for him and he’s been playing catch up ever since, meaning he now tries too hard to make an impact when he gets on the pitch, often leading to poor choices

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Jan 2020 17:28

URZZZZ
Zip
NewCorkSeth Our game plan has to include the fact that Charlie Adam will be subbed off at some point. Leaving only Rinomhota (and McCleary) as our cover centrally is not good when Swift could break at any moment and Ejaria looks very breakable. Baldock and Obita cover the wide positions adequately enough (especially considering the majority of our wide play comes from the full backs and we mostly play it through the center of the pack anyway).

For me a bench of:
Walker - GK
Miazga - CB
Rinomhota - DM, CM
Olise - CM
Baldock - LW, ST
Puscas - ST

I think NCS disagrees with you there :wink:

With more and more first teamers available, I can easily see Boye dropping from the squad. Bowen did it to him after his awful performance against Birmingham (he wasn’t in the 18 vs Barnsley) and Saturday wouldn’t have proved anything else he didn’t know

I still maintain he hasn’t been given enough of a chance. I saw somewhere that Saturday was his first start at the Madejski all season. The problem for him was I think Gomes intended to use a 4-2-3-1 in which Boye could feature more but then Gomes changed to a 5-3-2 which didn’t really have a place for him and he’s been playing catch up ever since, meaning he now tries too hard to make an impact when he gets on the pitch, often leading to poor choices

I couldnt possibly comment on any negative aspects of Boyes performances for the club. I will say, on a positive note, that there are frequent 5 - 10 second periods during games where he looks an absolute world beater.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Jan 2020 17:30

Zip
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ

For me a bench of:
Walker - GK
Miazga - CB
Rinomhota - DM, CM
Olise - CM
Baldock - LW, ST
Puscas - ST

I think our fitness problems are most likely to come in CM too. Swift, Ejaria and Adam could all yet have some time spent in the treatment room so, in my opinion, it makes sense to start increasing the playing time Olise gets. As well as the obvious fact that he, along with CBC, are the future of this club.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 07 Jan 2020 17:39

Midfield depth concerns me too. I wonder what the options are. Chelsea won't loan Baker to us just to be a squad rotation/backup option. You almost want an experienced, reliable option who is not getting game time at a top end Champ / lower Prem team, who is happy on the bench but will give a 6/10 if called upon. Best ever example was Bryn, who knew Sidwell and Harper would be first choice.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jan 2020 17:46

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ

Good conversation this, but it's not so much that many from 7 as it is 1 or 2 from about 3 or 4.

You want a a keeper, defender and striker minimum. Probably at least 2 of another striker, a wide player and another defender. So really you're looking at Olise and Rino competing with Aluko and maybe McCleary, Boye and East for one or two spots. No point having Puscas, Baldock, Loader and Boye on the bench, they basically all do the same thing for the main part. Similar Miazga and McIntyre, Yiadom, Richards and Obita

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Jan 2020 18:11

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth Dunno man, players are ready when they are ready and all that but look at Bellingham. Bet there wasnt massive calls for him to start over the summer.

Good conversation this, but it's not so much that many from 7 as it is 1 or 2 from about 3 or 4.

You want a a keeper, defender and striker minimum. Probably at least 2 of another striker, a wide player and another defender. So really you're looking at Olise and Rino competing with Aluko and maybe McCleary, Boye and East for one or two spots. No point having Puscas, Baldock, Loader and Boye on the bench, they basically all do the same thing for the main part. Similar Miazga and McIntyre, Yiadom, Richards and Obita

Agree to an extent but it also depends on the versatility of your players. For example, quite often McDermott didn’t bother putting a defender on the bench when the subs were down to 5 because he knew he had players that could cover multiple positions

I suppose one thought is do we really need three of the 7 subs being defensive. Having Rino in the squad is adequate cover for FB and allows us to put on an extra attacking player on the bench (Rino at RB, Gunter/Yiadom LB for example)

I recall Lee Johnson sometimes having no goalie on the bench though which is strange, that’s an absolute must for me because it’s such a specific position

I’ve always liked as a bench structure

GK
CB
CM
CAM
RW/LW
ST
ST

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Jan 2020 18:20

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

Agree to an extent but it also depends on the versatility of your players. For example, quite often McDermott didn’t bother putting a defender on the bench when the subs were down to 5 because he knew he had players that could cover multiple positions

I suppose one thought is do we really need three of the 7 subs being defensive. Having Rino in the squad is adequate cover for FB and allows us to put on an extra attacking player on the bench (Rino at RB, Gunter/Yiadom LB for example)

I recall Lee Johnson sometimes having no goalie on the bench though which is strange, that’s an absolute must for me because it’s such a specific position

GK
CB
CM
CAM
RW/LW
ST
ST

I have always thought 2 strikers was a waste but with Baldock covering wide I am happy. Ideal for me is:
GK
FB
CB
CM
CM
WG
ST

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Jan 2020 18:34

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal Good conversation this, but it's not so much that many from 7 as it is 1 or 2 from about 3 or 4.

GK
CB
CM
CAM
RW/LW
ST
ST

I have always thought 2 strikers was a waste but with Baldock covering wide I am happy. Ideal for me is:
GK
FB
CB
CM
CM
WG
ST

The only problem I have with a structure like that is the changes often become too obvious, like Sarri’s Barkley for Kovacic, Pedro for William and Giroud for Higuain

Don’t know the stats or anything but would wager most are made in an attacking sense which is why I always prefer more attacking options as it keeps the opposition guessing as to what you’ll do, especially when chasing a game

Each to their own and all that though

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jan 2020 20:17

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

GK
CB
CM
CAM
RW/LW
ST
ST

Tend to prefer
GK, CB, FB, CM, FW, ST and then the 7th depends on who is available and what last three offer in flexibility. Although if you have a player like Blackett who can cover FB or CB or a midfielder who can cover CB then you can have an extra 2 of those final 3, rather than 1

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Jan 2020 22:14

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ

GK
CB
CM
CAM
RW/LW
ST
ST

GK
FB
CB
CM
CM
WG
ST

The only problem I have with a structure like that is the changes often become too obvious, like Sarri’s Barkley for Kovacic, Pedro for William and Giroud for Higuain

Don’t know the stats or anything but would wager most are made in an attacking sense which is why I always prefer more attacking options as it keeps the opposition guessing as to what you’ll do, especially when chasing a game

Each to their own and all that though

That's an interesting point about tactical subs becoming obvious. Hadn't thought of that. I suppose the ideal is to have a striker on the bench with a particular play style that is essential to plan b? Or just have Alfie..

I guess I prefer it because, in my head at least, it maximises the positional subs. With one of the CMs being more defensive or hard working and the other being a creative type who can play a 10 role. Like Rinomhota and Olise..

432 posts