Rumour - Olise to Celtic

JR

Re: Rumour - Olise to Celtic

by JR » 30 May 2020 11:27

Hadn’t realised Hammond had gone to Celtic.

A bit surprised by the overconfidence on here and downplaying of Celtic lure.

If Celtic want him then he’ll go and will only be a few million. As Howe has suggested we need to be cashing in on some assets.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 30 May 2020 16:56

Also, a few people have mentioned we shouldn’t let him go unless it’s for silly money, which I understand. But what will silly money look like post the virus? Will players be worth on average 50% less than they were pre-corona? We literally have no idea. Reading will have less money, as will Celtic, as will every football club out there

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 30 May 2020 19:26

Notts Royal Also, a few people have mentioned we shouldn’t let him go unless it’s for silly money, which I understand. But what will silly money look like post the virus? Will players be worth on average 50% less than they were pre-corona? We literally have no idea. Reading will have less money, as will Celtic, as will every football club out there

That indeed sir, is a very good point....i guess only time will tell, football as we know it me be very different in a few years time! unless we can get crowds back in the stadiums pretty soonish.
Maybe the break in football and a whole new perspective might send crowds flocking back and save some of these clubs from going bankrupt!!

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 Jun 2020 11:06

JR Hadn’t realised Hammond had gone to Celtic.

If Celtic want him then he’ll go and will only be a few million. As Howe has suggested we need to be cashing in on some assets.

If Celtic want him (and the report just says that apparantly he is on some supposed ‘list’ then plenty of other cubs will have him on their radar.
You would think pretty much any PL club would be a better option and bear in mind he is French there may be interest there too.
So while Celtic may have him on a list of dozens of youngsters they may try and nick on the cheap there would be lots of competition, much of it some way ahead of Celtic in terms of what they could offer.

One87One

by One87One » 01 Jun 2020 11:43

Sadly agree. £3-4m plus a sizable sell-on would likely do it.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 01 Jun 2020 18:33

I would be really angry if the owners have got us in such a mess by buying overpriced crappy players that we had to sell one of the best Academy prospects in years for a couple of million. I have to believe that common sense will prevail and that we will retain our best young players so we can build a team around them - otherwise it is hard to see us ever challenging at the top of the Championship again.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 Jun 2020 19:07

I would hate to see Olise go. He has huge potential.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 02 Jun 2020 10:16

One87One

Exactly. If the player wants to go then he can always force a move.

Unlikely but could also be another Tshibola case of moving too soon which would work out well for us too. As long as the sell on clause is big then I don't mind any player leaving the club.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Jun 2020 10:29

The club are hardly in a finanical position to turn down any decent bid at the moment - who knows what the transfer market looks like in the future but realistically an offer around 2m plus a sizeable % of sell on and he'll likely be off.

Pretty much guaranteed a decent salary, titles and European football (when that returns) in front of sell out crowds (eventually).

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 02 Jun 2020 13:35

One87One

Depends how immediate our needs are. If he has a good 20/21 season, we could be looking at selling him for £10m - £15m next summer. We really are forgoing a lot of future benefits if we sell him now. That being said, if the need is immediate then £4m+ sell on clause is good business for a player of his experience.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Jun 2020 13:40

Stranded The club are hardly in a finanical position to turn down any decent bid at the moment - who knows what the transfer market looks like in the future but realistically an offer around 2m plus a sizeable % of sell on and he'll likely be off.

Pretty much guaranteed a decent salary, titles and European football (when that returns) in front of sell out crowds (eventually).

The issue with Reading is not that they don’t have the money it’s when and how they can spend it. Mr Howe, Mr Bowen and Mr Yongge need to look at FFP and see how to comply satisfactorily this next season and then try and move the “assets” about to get the most out of things.

The trouble though currently is there’s seemingly no direction from the FL on what will happen with FFP given the current climate, if they carry blithely on with things then I imagine there will be serious repercussions for many clubs due to the financial income from fans and presumably tv etc. being greatly reduced. Therefore the FL need to decide whether FFP is just going to be suspended until the start of season 21/22 or whether there will be a lot more flexibility granted to clubs for the next season. Until then it’s not going to be terribly easy for clubs to budget properly.

The proper close season (presumably August) will be very interesting for everyone when it gets here.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 03 Jun 2020 18:42

Pre Covid, Celtic would struggle to compete with us financially?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jun 2020 23:19

Westwood52 Pre Covid, Celtic would struggle to compete with us financially?

In 2019 their wage bill was £59m...

Ours was probably about £30m.

But apparently their record transfer fee is under £10m.

Their stars are probably on quite a lot more than ours, but some of their squad players maybe on more similar amounts to ours.

They're certainly not going to pay a big fee for an 18 year old Reading player with a dozen or so appearances in the Championship. And I think we'd be looking for a big fee... like £3m plus.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 08 Jul 2020 14:11

He'd be one a player that would make my blood boil if he is sold on the cheap. We should be holding out for £10m for this guy and to be honest I would probably stay here if I was Olise. Especially with what happened to Tshibola. I'd rather sell Moore or even Swift for a lower fee this summer and if Olise has another successful season maybe let him go next summer.

Selling now would be really short sighted. His wages will be low too, hardly going to give us the financial clout. If we sell Swift with £25K a week wages off the books for £4m, that'll be worth a lot more to the club than £4m for a £5K a week Olise. Olise also could be twice the player Swift is in 5 years time! another reason we should be keeping him.