Rumour - Ronan Curtis

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Rumour - Ronan Curtis

by WestYorksRoyal » 21 May 2021 10:51

If we're competing with Championship clubs who aren't in an FFP straight-jacket, surely the smart money is that he goes elsewhere?

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 21 May 2021 20:41

WestYorksRoyal If we're competing with Championship clubs who aren't in an FFP straight-jacket, surely the smart money is that he goes elsewhere?

He might want to join Reading

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 21 May 2021 21:10

SouthDownsRoyal
WestYorksRoyal If we're competing with Championship clubs who aren't in an FFP straight-jacket, surely the smart money is that he goes elsewhere?

I was wondering that. What has Reading got to offer that other teams haven't? What does a player look for when a team is interested - is it simply about the money or the full package?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 May 2021 21:20

We've apparently got some of the best training facilities in Europe. That's where they spend the bulk of their working week so I guess its an indication that the club are going to look after them.

Also, despite our FFP woes, its not like the players aren't going to get paid each week. We're not broke.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 21 May 2021 21:47

morganb
SouthDownsRoyal

I was wondering that. What has Reading got to offer that other teams haven't? What does a player look for when a team is interested - is it simply about the money or the full package?

He may be a Reading fan, we don’t know.

Other than that, Reading may be a perfect fit to match his ambition

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 22 May 2021 08:22

SouthDownsRoyal
morganb
SouthDownsRoyal

He may be a Reading fan, we don’t know.

Other than that, Reading may be a perfect fit to match his ambition

We used to have more identity & were attractive for players on the rise, when we were a well-run club.

That’s gone now, so we’re a carbon copy of other champ clubs, but with less fans. Not a great attraction.

Hopefully the tide is starting to turn again though. And you’d say due to our smaller squad size, they’re likely to get more game time than at other clubs

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 22 May 2021 08:24

Although I forgot to add that we were paying extortionate wages for average players, which was an obvious attraction

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 May 2021 08:38

morganb
SouthDownsRoyal

Ian Royal

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 22 May 2021 12:13

SouthDownsRoyal

But if there's months of procrastination and uncertainty while we try to secure EFL approval he may just cut his losses and take the security of a team who can get the contract signed.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 May 2021 16:49

Also a move to Reading may mean he doesn’t have to move which could be an attraction if he has a young family. He was also born in London despite having spent his younger years out in Ireland.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 25 May 2021 08:53

Sutekh Also a move to Reading may mean he doesn’t have to move which could be an attraction if he has a young family. He was also born in London despite having spent his younger years out in Ireland.

True. It all sounds a perfect fit to me

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 25 May 2021 22:08

SouthDownsRoyal
Sutekh Also a move to Reading may mean he doesn’t have to move which could be an attraction if he has a young family. He was also born in London despite having spent his younger years out in Ireland.

It could also be that he is a Zen Buddhist and is not interested in money ... but in the perfect state of being!?

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 25 May 2021 22:17

Royalwaster
SouthDownsRoyal

It could also be that he is a Zen Buddhist and is not interested in money ... but in the perfect state of being!?

Another excellent point. He may just want to join Reading for the experience, maybe he would enjoy living in Wokingham.

He may also see Reading as a way into the premier league for season 2022/23