Rumour - Rodrigo Riquelme

308 posts
Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rumour - Rodrigo Riquelme

by Snowball » 18 Sep 2020 16:58

Royalwaster
Snowball
Nameless If you are good enough you don’t need plan B or wiry about teams working you out.
Coppell didn’t have a plan B. Same team every week, same tactics, even made the same subs at the same time every game !
Ok, we’re not quite that good currently but I’d rather we did one thing so well that no one could cope with it and we didn’t have to go to a back up (which by definition isn’t as good)

I used to run/coach/play-in a team and got a Chester/Newport County player (
then manager) John Relish to give us the once over and give me some advice.

So it's about 75 minutes and I say, "John, I'm really worried we do exactly the same thing every game."

He's said, "What's the score?"

6-2

"And you're worried you keep doing the same thing?"

But presumably the teams you were up against didn't have scouts ...

Most of them didn't have shirts.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 18 Sep 2020 18:41

Maneki Neko
Nameless If you are good enough you don’t need plan B or wiry about teams working you out.
Coppell didn’t have a plan B. Same team every week, same tactics, even made the same subs at the same time every game !
Ok, we’re not quite that good currently but I’d rather we did one thing so well that no one could cope with it and we didn’t have to go to a back up (which by definition isn’t as good)

i think the 106 team is misleading. it was a one off, a miracle coming together of a number of factors that was perfect for the players, management, ownership, fans, league , opposition etc. its not likely to work again. its not likely to be seen again.
also it was a while ago and things have changed a fair bit in football, and the division.
& if coppells plan A wasnt working for a few games, i have no doubt hed have come up with another plan that fit his player/oppo better.
its good to have the option to change if you have to.imo
especially at home against teams that sit back and invite you onto them

You are of course right, I was just reminiscing about how amazing it was to have a team that really didn’t need a plan B, expected to win every game and knew they were better than everyone else by some distance.
That was a truely special year....

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Sep 2020 19:16

Maneki Neko

i think the 106 team is misleading. it was a one off, a miracle coming together of a number of factors that was perfect for the players, management, ownership, fans, league , opposition etc. its not likely to work again. its not likely to be seen again.
also it was a while ago and things have changed a fair bit in football, and the division.
& if coppells plan A wasnt working for a few games, i have no doubt hed have come up with another plan that fit his player/oppo better.
its good to have the option to change if you have to.imo
especially at home against teams that sit back and invite you onto them

The 106 element could probably be argued as a bit of a perfect storm.

But that squad had been consistently pushing the POs for years and Coppell had gradually been building in the required components without letting go essential cogs for years as well.

It was a perfect example of the benefits of a stable, clear plan built brick by brick to a single vision.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Sep 2020 13:40

Reported that Riquelme has now completed sorting out his ne deal at Atletico (4 year deal with a reported 60m release clause).

Therefore would now expect this season long loan to Reading to be confimred at some point this week.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 21 Sep 2020 14:04

That man Eddie on Twitter has just posted:

Rodrigo Riquelme has completed his medical, contracts have been agreed and are being signed. Finally.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Sep 2020 14:12

Hopefully an announcement this afternoon then :)

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Sep 2020 14:15

Think he will be a flop.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 21 Sep 2020 14:15

Hendo Hopefully an announcement this afternoon then :)

If the Gibson signing is imminent I suspect they might wait for that.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Sep 2020 14:27

tidus_mi2
Hendo Hopefully an announcement this afternoon then :)

If the Gibson signing is imminent I suspect they might wait for that.

Ah yeah, could very well wait for the double announcement.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Sep 2020 14:29

Think everyone needs to calm down. We are about to sign two players none of you have ever seen play, there is nothing to be excited about yet. Riquelme could be another Aluko for all you lot know.
Last edited by Old Man Andrews on 21 Sep 2020 14:33, edited 1 time in total.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 21 Sep 2020 14:32

Old Man Andrews Think everyone needs to calm down. We are about to sign two player none of you have ever seen play, there is nothing to be excited about yet. Riquelme could be another Aluko for all you lot know.

He's on loan; if it doesn't work out he goes back to Madrid. Not remotely comparable with a record fee and 4 year contract for Aluko.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Sep 2020 14:32

Old Man Andrews Think everyone needs to calm down. We are about to sign two player none of you have ever seen play, there is nothing to be excited about yet. Riquelme could be another Aluko for all you lot know.

Agree to an extent but nothing wrong with getting excited about a highly rated prospect arriving at our club as opposed to the higher profile sides he could have joined.

Hopefully he proves to be as good as we hope.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Sep 2020 14:33

WestYorksRoyal

He's on loan; if it doesn't work out he goes back to Madrid. Not remotely comparable with a record fee and 4 year contract for Aluko.

It is comparable in terms of everyone getting overly excited and then it turning to shit which was my point. Nobody mentioned fees or how long he is signed for. :roll: :roll:

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 21 Sep 2020 14:34

Old Man Andrews
WestYorksRoyal

It is comparable in terms of everyone getting overly excited and then it turning to shit which was my point. Nobody mentioned fees or how long he is signed for. :roll: :roll:

Tbf I don't think many people were actually excited when we signed Aluko.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Sep 2020 14:35

Pepe the Horseman
Old Man Andrews
WestYorksRoyal He's on loan; if it doesn't work out he goes back to Madrid. Not remotely comparable with a record fee and 4 year contract for Aluko.

Oh they were! Rightfully so in his case because you had the fee that went along with it, I think the excitement came from us actually spending money.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 21 Sep 2020 14:37

Old Man Andrews
WestYorksRoyal

Thinking back, did anyone actually get event slightly excited about Aluko?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 21 Sep 2020 14:37

Pepe the Horseman
Old Man Andrews
WestYorksRoyal He's on loan; if it doesn't work out he goes back to Madrid. Not remotely comparable with a record fee and 4 year contract for Aluko.

I remember thinking he was an improvement on our options, but was also confused as we desperately needed a centre forward and blew our budget on a position we were already well stocked in.

Riquelme is more exciting as he offers width we're desperately missing. There was a clear need for a player in his role.

But OMA's point stands I suppose; he could struggle to adapt. Or it could be similar to when Wolves got Diogo Jota.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 21 Sep 2020 14:38

Old Man Andrews
Pepe the Horseman
Old Man Andrews It is comparable in terms of everyone getting overly excited and then it turning to shit which was my point. Nobody mentioned fees or how long he is signed for. :roll: :roll:

Oh they were! Rightfully so in his case because you had the fee that went along with it, I think the excitement came from us actually spending money.

Don't remember the twitter reaction, I can imagine the kids getting giddy over us spending a load of cash, but on here I think the general consensus was why the fcuk are we spending that kind of money on a player we don't need.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Sep 2020 14:39

WestYorksRoyal
Pepe the Horseman
Old Man Andrews It is comparable in terms of everyone getting overly excited and then it turning to shit which was my point. Nobody mentioned fees or how long he is signed for. :roll: :roll:

I remember thinking he was an improvement on our options, but we also confused as we desperately needed a centre forward and blew our budget on a position we were already well stocked in.

Riquelme is more exciting as he offers width we're desperately missing. There was a clear need for a player in his role.

But OMA's point stands I suppose; he could struggle to adapt. Or it could be similar to when Wolves got Diogo Jota.

Looking at the system we played in the first two games are we really going to play with any width? Hoping we don't try and shoehorn him into a position he isn't comfortable with.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Sep 2020 14:40

Pepe the Horseman
Old Man Andrews
Pepe the Horseman Tbf I don't think many people were actually excited when we signed Aluko.

Don't remember the twitter reaction, I can imagine the kids getting giddy over us spending a load of cash, but on here I think the general consensus was why the fcuk are we spending that kind of money on a player we don't need.

A bit of yes and no on that one, I think.

Most recognised that he was a good player whilst at Fulham, but did think the transfer was on the expensive side.

https://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=137576&hilit=Aluko

308 posts