Hob Nob Regular

Re: Rumour - Rodrigo Riquelme

by MouldyRoyal » 02 Sep 2020 12:33

I'd go as far as to say lovely hair

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Sep 2020 12:35

I was trying to play it cool, but yeh, you're absolutely right.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 02 Sep 2020 12:46

From Despair To Where?
Nameless
From Despair To Where?
Agreed and outside the top 4 or 5 teams, I'm pretty sure Spanish football has its fair share of cloggers. In fact, Spanish football has a long and proud history of psychotic hatchet men.

Whilst the number of hard nut psychos in the championship is probably at an all time low.
It’s a tough league because of the intensity and sheer number of games. The days of a wizened old pro kicking a talented youngster out of games are long gone. He’d take a few knocks but it’s not a violent league !

Which is absolutely no different to any of our own academy graduates.

I'm agreeing with you here. There's this notion that because he's young and coming from abroad that he'll be less able to cope with the rigours ot the Championship than a home grown talent.

We’re on the same page on this . We saw the lad from Saints we had on loan look far from ready to play first team football but that was not his nationality. Josh Barrett has the talent but not the application, Bobby Convey was physically frail but thrived.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 02 Sep 2020 12:54

From Despair To Where?
Nameless
From Despair To Where?
Agreed and outside the top 4 or 5 teams, I'm pretty sure Spanish football has its fair share of cloggers. In fact, Spanish football has a long and proud history of psychotic hatchet men.

Whilst the number of hard nut psychos in the championship is probably at an all time low.
It’s a tough league because of the intensity and sheer number of games. The days of a wizened old pro kicking a talented youngster out of games are long gone. He’d take a few knocks but it’s not a violent league !

Which is absolutely no different to any of our own academy graduates.

I'm agreeing with you here. There's this notion that because he's young and coming from abroad that he'll be less able to cope with the rigours ot the Championship than a home grown talent.

We’re on the same page on this . We saw the lad from Saints we had on loan look far from ready to play first team football but that was not his nationality. Josh Barrett has the talent but not the application, Bobby Convey was physically frail but thrived.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Sep 2020 13:22

why do these videos always have such awful music to accompany them?

I'm not a fan of the hair though. Needs a good trim.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Sep 2020 13:29

As mentioned any issues with him playing wise are likely to be whether he can hack a 46 games English season with many weeks having 2 games where expectation is always to perform.

Plus it’s not going to be like anything he’s played in before with not only the physical side but the pace and tempo - he’s not exactly going to get slower paced passing games from most opponents.

He can apparently play anywhere in an attacking midfield 3 and hopefully won’t be adverse to playing like winger on occasion. Interesting to see though how he’s going to fit into what is currently the one area where Reading have several options.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 02 Sep 2020 13:52

One thing we've always been desperate for since Stam is more midfielders.

We've been signing far too many left backs, it's about time we started signing a load of midfielders. :roll:

I'm hoping he is a proper winger not another midfielder who will be made to play out wide.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 02 Sep 2020 15:12

Was linked with Celtic a few months and they seemed keen. If he's good enough for them...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Sep 2020 18:52

WestYorksRoyal The super-agent recruitment model can work, look at Wolves. And it has brought us some successes like Rafael.

The part we seem to be missing is the internal recruitment team to look at these signings and assess where they will fit in (I.e. have the knowledge and backbone to tell Kia "no" when appropriate.)

I think we have that but it gets ignored.

Kia seems to be in control and puppet strings on the owners rather than us using him for mutual benefit.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 02 Sep 2020 19:05

Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal The super-agent recruitment model can work, look at Wolves. And it has brought us some successes like Rafael.

The part we seem to be missing is the internal recruitment team to look at these signings and assess where they will fit in (I.e. have the knowledge and backbone to tell Kia "no" when appropriate.)

Kia seems to be in control and puppet strings on the owners rather than us using him for mutual benefit.

What’s the evidence for that ?
We’ve had some very good players at the club as a result of his involvement. Which deals would you th8nk he has abused us on ?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Sep 2020 19:21

Nameless
Snowflake Royal

We’ve had some very good players at the club as a result of his involvement. Which deals would you th8nk he has abused us on ?

Well that would explain why we've played such good football and had all that success, I guess.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Sep 2020 20:15

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
Snowflake Royal I think we have that but it gets ignored.

Well that would explain why we've played such good football and had all that success, I guess.

I mean the 5 we signed on loan at the end of Gomes’ season practically kept us up, so there’s that.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 Sep 2020 21:46

To be fair, since Kia allegedly started taking control of our recruitment on the playing side, it's not been too bad. Virginia was shit, Boye and Timbe were pretty pointless signings and the jury's out on Araruna but Ejaria (3 times), Miazga (twice) , Martinez, Baker, Oliviera, Morrison, Puscas, Joao, Rafael and Pele were all decent signings, Adam did ok and Laurent looks promising.

That's a pretty good success rate.

Is there any evidence of him having any undue influence in the boardroom? Does he represent Gomes, Bowen or Paunovic?

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 02 Sep 2020 21:56

If anything, it's surely more beneficial for Kia to have us in the Prem?

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 02 Sep 2020 22:32

maffff If anything, it's surely more beneficial for Kia to have us in the Prem?

Sorry mafff sound reasoning isn’t appreciated here. People like to have agendas

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 02 Sep 2020 23:03

CountryRoyal Was linked with Celtic a few months and they seemed keen. If he's good enough for them...

Apparently we've even beaten Real Madrid. :roll:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Sep 2020 23:41

It's beneficial for him to get a steady easy stream of income from us with large and frequent turnover of players.

Pitch side success isn't really that important to that. And this isn't the first time he's been involved here.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 03 Sep 2020 00:11

Snowflake Royal

It's beneficial for him to get a steady easy stream of income from us with large and frequent turnover of players.

Pitch side success isn't really that important to that. And this isn't the first time he's been involved here.

Premier league status means better players getting more expensive contracts and thus more money for him- especially if his client does well(after all he’d be able to move him all around the continent if the player does well wherever he is). He has the same aims, but he does it in a way where he benefits just as much or more as we would if we get promoted along the way. What makes him the type of poison to stay away from is that he will only help us if we stuff his pockets and accept some of his bang average players to access the good ones.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 03 Sep 2020 01:14

Lower West
CountryRoyal Was linked with Celtic a few months and they seemed keen. If he's good enough for them...

Apparently we've even beaten Real Madrid. :roll:

It’s nearly as exciting as signing Drenthe was :wink:

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 03 Sep 2020 08:27

From Despair To Where? To be fair, since Kia allegedly started taking control of our recruitment on the playing side, it's not been too bad. Virginia was shit, Boye and Timbe were pretty pointless signings and the jury's out on Araruna but Ejaria (3 times), Miazga (twice) , Martinez, Baker, Oliviera, Morrison, Puscas, Joao, Rafael and Pele were all decent signings, Adam did ok and Laurent looks promising.

That's a pretty good success rate.

Is there any evidence of him having any undue influence in the boardroom? Does he represent Gomes, Bowen or Paunovic?

Related but how many of those players are even his?

Timbe for example was signed from our sister club, and wasn’t Boye represented by his uncle?

Miazga has pretty public links to him but most of the players we’ve signed have been the sort of players we were signing anyway.

308 posts