January window

339 posts
Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: January window

by Mid Sussex Royal » 26 Jan 2021 19:22

Nelson from Arsenal is one of the two. He'd be a good loan signing if we can get him

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 26 Jan 2021 19:29

Mid Sussex Royal Nelson from Arsenal is one of the two. He'd be a good loan signing if we can get him

How do you know this?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Jan 2021 14:07

Reiss made 17 PL appearances for Arsenal last season though I don’t know how many of those games he actually started bu5 he was usually the first attacking sub Arteta would make so there must be something about him. However this season he’s only had a couple of PL appearances so he’s not really kicked on as you may have expected.

If he does join, how long it will take before the media come up with the gem “Nelson leads Reading to Victory”.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 27 Jan 2021 14:26

Pepe the Horseman
Mid Sussex Royal Nelson from Arsenal is one of the two. He'd be a good loan signing if we can get him

How do you know this?

My son read it on twitter from an Arsenal source (he's an Arsenal fan)

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Jan 2021 15:26

Sutekh Reiss made 17 PL appearances for Arsenal last season though I don’t know how many of those games he actually started bu5 he was usually the first attacking sub Arteta would make so there must be something about him. However this season he’s only had a couple of PL appearances so he’s not really kicked on as you may have expected.

If he does join, how long it will take before the media come up with the gem “Nelson leads Reading to Victory”.

He started 7 games and came off the bench 10 more times in the PL. He scored his only goal in the 2-1 win over Liverpool.

His bigger success was the year before, where he stared in a decent Hoffenheim side where he scored 7 and got 1 assist in 23 apps - all bar 5 were off the bench.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Jan 2021 15:35

Sutekh Reiss made 17 PL appearances for Arsenal last season though I don’t know how many of those games he actually started bu5 he was usually the first attacking sub Arteta would make so there must be something about him. However this season he’s only had a couple of PL appearances so he’s not really kicked on as you may have expected.

Did they use it with our previous Nelson ?

Taffster

by Taffster » 27 Jan 2021 15:48

Nameless

Did he ever lead us to victory?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 27 Jan 2021 15:54

Taffster
Nameless

Did he ever lead us to victory?

https://www.royals.org/matdoc/130219.html

8)

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 27 Jan 2021 17:28

Or "Nelson has his eye on the ball"

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 27 Jan 2021 17:32

Jokull Andresson returns to us after a solid two games in goal on emergency loan to Morecambe, looking at the goalkeeper situation I can honestly see Southwood being released at the end of the season, Andresson and CBC are younger and appear to have greater potential.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 27 Jan 2021 19:12

tidus_mi2 Jokull Andresson returns to us after a solid two games in goal on emergency loan to Morecambe, looking at the goalkeeper situation I can honestly see Southwood being released at the end of the season, Andresson and CBC are younger and appear to have greater potential.

Our keeper situation is a bit strange really, we always seem to have some great talent coming through the ranks, but who was our last home grown keeper to break into the first team on a regular basis.
Southwood was meant to be extremly promising and by all accounts had a great loan spell up in Scotland with Hamilton i do believe.
Andreasson looks promising and CBC by all accounts has huge potential.
These keepers need a good run in the first team but they never quite seem to make it and we go and then buy a keeper in or make stupid decisions like that kid from Everton who wasn't up to the task. I would much prefer to give our young keepers a chance rather than loaning young premiership keepers any day.
Rafael is still in his prime i guess, especially as keepers can play till 40yrs no problem, so i guess we will lose one of our prospects in the close season.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 27 Jan 2021 19:20

Nameless

Well, the only other Nelson I can remember was Dennis Nelson 1976 and he was signed around March and helped us to promotion

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Jan 2021 19:45

Mid Sussex Royal
Nameless

Well, the only other Nelson I can remember was Dennis Nelson 1976 and he was signed around March and helped us to promotion

You only need to go back 2 seasons for our previous Nelson !

Rusty royal

by Rusty royal » 27 Jan 2021 19:47

Crowbar6753
tidus_mi2 Jokull Andresson returns to us after a solid two games in goal on emergency loan to Morecambe, looking at the goalkeeper situation I can honestly see Southwood being released at the end of the season, Andresson and CBC are younger and appear to have greater potential.

Our keeper situation is a bit strange really, we always seem to have some great talent coming through the ranks, but who was our last home grown keeper to break into the first team on a regular basis.
Southwood was meant to be extremly promising and by all accounts had a great loan spell up in Scotland with Hamilton i do believe.
These keepers need a good run in the first team but they never quite seem to make it and we go and then buy a keeper in or make stupid decisions like that kid from Everton who wasn't up to the task. I would much prefer to give our young keepers a chance rather than loaning young premiership keepers any day.
Rafael is still in his prime i guess, especially as keepers can play till 40yrs no problem, so i guess we will lose one of our prospects in the close season.

Alex McCarthy

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 28 Jan 2021 01:11

Crowbar6753

You allude to the problem really, it’s difficult as a goalkeeper to break into a team for various reasons. I’d argue a big factor in young goalies breaking into the first team revolves around luck

For example. McCarthy got his chance here because Federici picked up a knock one game. Had Feds not picked up that injury, could have all been a different story for McCarthy

Whereas I don’t recall Rafael having an injury for us yet. And with the exception of one dodgy run, he hasn’t really underperformed to the extent to which we need to swap our goalies around

I wouldn’t expect us to still have Rafael, Southwood, Andresson and CBC on our books come next season but we’ll see

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 28 Jan 2021 09:00

Academy keepers we've let go off the top of my head

Mikkel Andersen
Jamie Ashdown
Jamie Young
Ben Hamer
Jamie Young
Alex McCarthy
George Legg
Stuart Moore

Only the ones in Bold have either outperformed or at least been on a par with Reading FC.

Jamie Young is playing in the A-League and has spent the last 6 years getting sunned up sharing the pitch with the likes of Alexander Baumjohann, Alessandro Diamanti, Luis Garcia, Markel Susaeta. David Villa and Ola Toivonen so I'd count that as a win.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Jan 2021 09:27

LightwaterRoyal Academy keepers we've let go off the top of my head

Mikkel Andersen
Jamie Ashdown
Jamie Young
Ben Hamer
Jamie Young
Alex McCarthy
George Legg
Stuart Moore

Only the ones in Bold have either outperformed or at least been on a par with Reading FC.

Jamie Young is playing in the A-League and has spent the last 6 years getting sunned up sharing the pitch with the likes of Alexander Baumjohann, Alessandro Diamanti, Luis Garcia, Markel Susaeta. David Villa and Ola Toivonen so I'd count that as a win.

Hash on Ashdown, played a lot of games for Portsmouth in both Championship and Premiership. Also has a Uefa Cup appearance.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 28 Jan 2021 09:38

Hendo

Mikkel Andersen
Jamie Ashdown
Jamie Young
Ben Hamer
Jamie Young
Alex McCarthy
George Legg
Stuart Moore

Hash on Ashdown, played a lot of games for Portsmouth in both Championship and Premiership. Also has a Uefa Cup appearance.

Basically chose a career on the bench, but when he played it was at a higher level.

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 28 Jan 2021 09:39

Hendo

Mikkel Andersen
Jamie Ashdown
Jamie Young
Ben Hamer
Jamie Young
Alex McCarthy
George Legg
Stuart Moore

Thats probably fair, I couldn't remember him playing much in the Prem [32 games] I had thought Shaka Hislop and David James would have both been ahead of him for most of his time there.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Jan 2021 09:57

LightwaterRoyal
Hendo

Mikkel Andersen
Jamie Ashdown
Jamie Young
Ben Hamer
Jamie Young
Alex McCarthy
George Legg
Stuart Moore

Thats probably fair, I couldn't remember him playing much in the Prem [32 games] I had thought Shaka Hislop and David James would have both been ahead of him for most of his time there.

Tbf, I wasn't sure so had to look it up myself before committing to my comment.

339 posts