January window

339 posts
CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: January window

by CountryRoyal » 02 Feb 2021 12:13

A little bit disappointed not to bring another attacking player in as useful backup.

That being said, I think most people would have been happy to just not lose anyone this window so that’s a big win. IF, and it’s a big if, we can keep our big players injury free then we’ve got a really great shout.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 02 Feb 2021 15:27

It seems that a number of the top 6 either brought in or tried to bring in midfielders in this window.
As others have said, our squad is quite flexible in defence and midfield but in the key area of a central striker of size, strength, control and goal scoring ability and positional awareness we only really have the one who has all 5 of those assets.

Some others have some assets but not enough to be a direct replacement for Joao.
I suppose Pauno must take the view that we will just have to get used to playing differently to different players' strengths if he gets injured but I do feel that our season now depends so much on keeping our main man fit.

This is quite possibly a rare opportunity for promotion so I (and most posters I suspect) would have liked not Shane Long but a Joao mark 2 as insurance but as was (in)famously once said "We go with what we've got" so fingers and everything else crossed.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Feb 2021 18:15

SCIAG
Hendo
SCIAG It does. It is a right guaranteed by the Bosman ruling. It only applies to international transfers as those are regulated by FIFA. Domestic transfers are regulated by the FA, who in this country restrict them to one month in order to reduce conflicts of interest. If, for example, Richards signed a pre-contract with Stoke, then in Saturday’s match he would have a conflict.

What about teams playing in Europe? For example Liverpool looking to take someone from Bayern with both teams still in Champions League. Would there still be a conflict there, although I guess the chances of playing someone is pretty low given the random nature of the draw etc...

Arguably yes, although much less of one - Richards might have reason to want Stoke to get promoted at Reading’s expense, but he doesn’t have a reason to want Bayern to win the CL at Reading’s expense. In any case, FIFA don’t care. It’s the same with loan deals. We couldn’t use Gibson in a match against Everton, but we could use Semedo or Esteves against their clubs.

Just a thought... but if UK clubs can't sign ANY OLD European player now Brexit... how does it work the other way?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 02 Feb 2021 18:22

Snowball
SCIAG
Hendo
What about teams playing in Europe? For example Liverpool looking to take someone from Bayern with both teams still in Champions League. Would there still be a conflict there, although I guess the chances of playing someone is pretty low given the random nature of the draw etc...

Arguably yes, although much less of one - Richards might have reason to want Stoke to get promoted at Reading’s expense, but he doesn’t have a reason to want Bayern to win the CL at Reading’s expense. In any case, FIFA don’t care. It’s the same with loan deals. We couldn’t use Gibson in a match against Everton, but we could use Semedo or Esteves against their clubs.

Just a thought... but if UK clubs can't sign ANY OLD European player now Brexit... how does it work the other way?

Each country in the EU will have their own rules for non-EU countries. Presumably Germany's rules, for instance, mean Richards would get a permit. Don't know if anybody has done the analysis, but presumably it will be easier for UK based players to move to some countries over others, purely depending on the rules for each place.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 02 Feb 2021 18:26

Snowball
SCIAG
Hendo

EU member states set their own immigration policies, and football competitions are able to set their own rules for non-EU players. This means rules vary considerably from country to country.

Germany has no restrictions.

Spain has a limit of three non-EU players per squad.

Italy has a limit on non-EU signings rather than players.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 04 Feb 2021 13:45

Twitter update from RFC latest:

Walker, Watson, East, Baldock, Aluko & Smith being released in summer

Richards future near finalised away from Reading

Talks underway with McIntyre

Onen, Tetek, Nevers, Pendlebury & Bristow expected to stay

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Feb 2021 14:16

Mid Sussex Royal Twitter update from RFC latest:

nothing exactly enlightening there

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Feb 2021 14:18

Hound
Mid Sussex Royal Twitter update from RFC latest:

nothing exactly enlightening there

Nope, all as to be expected.

I wonder if we do go up and say Richards does go to Bayern, will we try and get him back on loan for next season?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Feb 2021 14:21

do wonder if Richards might hold on to see what happens with us this year - would think career wise, surely a season starting in the Prem with us would be better than hanging around Bayern reserves

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Feb 2021 08:40

Hound do wonder if Richards might hold on to see what happens with us this year - would think career wise, surely a season starting in the Prem with us would be better than hanging around Bayern reserves

No player would go to another club expecting to be hanging around the reserves, he'll think he has every chance of making the first XI and if does, and plays well that provides a pathway to the national team and, if wants it, a move to a bigger Prem team in a couple of years. Naturally, it'll be financially better for him too, if he does go.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 05 Feb 2021 10:26

We are of course assuming that Omar really wants to go and live in another country where he presumably knows nobody.
The clue I guess would be in whether he is reading "Teach yourself German".

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Feb 2021 11:00

Stranded
Hound do wonder if Richards might hold on to see what happens with us this year - would think career wise, surely a season starting in the Prem with us would be better than hanging around Bayern reserves

No player would go to another club expecting to be hanging around the reserves, he'll think he has every chance of making the first XI and if does, and plays well that provides a pathway to the national team and, if wants it, a move to a bigger Prem team in a couple of years. Naturally, it'll be financially better for him too, if he does go.

Depends on if we go up of course. Not sure he'd necessarily be better off financially or with any better chance to move to a bigger Prem team/International honours going to Bayern over a promoted Reading

He'd be guaranteed first choice with us. Wouldnt be at Bayern. And we'd be flush with Prem TV money so likely offer him a very good deal.

side point - England has some bloody good LBs at the moment. Shaw, Chilwell, Justin, arguably Saka. Can't see ahead of those any time soon

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 11 Feb 2021 14:11

Stranded

No player would go to another club expecting to be hanging around the reserves, he'll think he has every chance of making the first XI and if does, and plays well that provides a pathway to the national team and, if wants it, a move to a bigger Prem team in a couple of years

This^. I think people overlook the self believe professional sports people have. They will believe they can go all the way to the very top, and their view to us mere mortals may make them seem deluded, but it is that mentality that helps them get as far as they go.

see Sidwell joining Chelsea during the Abramovic/Mourinho cash rich days as an example. He would have gone there believing this was his time to shine, and that putting in the hard work would see him in their starting XI and winning trophies. All he had to do was outperform Frank Lampard, Joe Cole or Michael Ballack, and the world was his lobster, with international call ups to follow.

Without that mentality and approach he wouldn't have had the career he did though

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 15 Feb 2021 11:34

Just had a quick flick through transfermarkt to see if there was anyone we could get in to give cover across the Ejaria, Olise, Meite area, looking really thin again and they are looking tired. It is really slim pickings to be honest. Ahmed Musa (ex Leicester) could be an option. Adryan ex Leeds loaner, Or my personal choice Bismark just for the name.

Unlikely we would go down that route but it does worry me we are just going to fizzle out due to lack of squad rotation. Joao is even starting to look tired.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 16 Feb 2021 09:23

linkenholtroyal Just had a quick flick through transfermarkt to see if there was anyone we could get in to give cover across the Ejaria, Olise, Meite area, looking really thin again and they are looking tired. It is really slim pickings to be honest. Ahmed Musa (ex Leicester) could be an option. Adryan ex Leeds loaner, Or my personal choice Bismark just for the name.

Unlikely we would go down that route but it does worry me we are just going to fizzle out due to lack of squad rotation. Joao is even starting to look tired.

Bearing in mind what happened to the Bismark (sic), I think we'll leave that one.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 04 Mar 2021 16:46

Norfolk Royal
linkenholtroyal Just had a quick flick through transfermarkt to see if there was anyone we could get in to give cover across the Ejaria, Olise, Meite area, looking really thin again and they are looking tired. It is really slim pickings to be honest. Ahmed Musa (ex Leicester) could be an option. Adryan ex Leeds loaner, Or my personal choice Bismark just for the name.

Bearing in mind what happened to the Bismark (sic), I think we'll leave that one.

I agree; I think we would be sunk if we got him........

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 14 May 2021 11:37

Hound
Nameless
linkenholtroyal Famara Diédhiou Only has a contract till the end of the season with Bristol. Boro are favourites to sign him atm but we must be a more attractive option for him. I think it would have to be a pre contract agreement though as we could not afford a fee this window. But if we get Baldocks wages off this would be a real coup. Like for like for Joao aswell.

As another side note do you think Puscas could play LAM or RAM to get him some game time he certainly has pace just not sure of his ball control or crossing.

Don’t think we can sign precontract agreements right now can we (only overseas clubs), and if we are restricted by FFP stupidity on signings we woukdn’t be allowed to commit to a future signing would we ?
Puscas probably could play as a winger but not sure LAM and RAM are wingers are they ? Woukdn’t think he could do what Ejaria or Olise do. He could probably do a similar job to Meite, but Meite does that job pretty well.

I did see the Diedhiou stuff, I thought he was more likely to sign a pre-agreement and move abroad in 6 months from what I could gather

BC are asking for 2m now. Being as they will think they can get play offs still, can see them keeping hold of him for the rest of the season

But yeah, did cross my mind he'd be a decent signing at 2m, and even better as a free in the summer

Well, Famara Diédhiou has been released by Bristol City today:

https://mobile.twitter.com/BristolCity/ ... 4817629184

We would like to thank the following 11 players who have been released following the end of their contracts: Hakeeb Adelakun, Nathan Baker, Famara Diédhiou, Rene Gilmartin, Jack Hunt, Henri Lansbury, Adrian Mariappa, Jamie Paterson, Tommy Rowe, Liam Walsh, Marley Watkins.

Not sure if there is anyone on that list we'd be interested in...

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 14 May 2021 13:58

morganb
Hound
Nameless
Don’t think we can sign precontract agreements right now can we (only overseas clubs), and if we are restricted by FFP stupidity on signings we woukdn’t be allowed to commit to a future signing would we ?
Puscas probably could play as a winger but not sure LAM and RAM are wingers are they ? Woukdn’t think he could do what Ejaria or Olise do. He could probably do a similar job to Meite, but Meite does that job pretty well.

I did see the Diedhiou stuff, I thought he was more likely to sign a pre-agreement and move abroad in 6 months from what I could gather

BC are asking for 2m now. Being as they will think they can get play offs still, can see them keeping hold of him for the rest of the season

But yeah, did cross my mind he'd be a decent signing at 2m, and even better as a free in the summer

We would like to thank the following 11 players who have been released following the end of their contracts: Hakeeb Adelakun, Nathan Baker, Famara Diédhiou, Rene Gilmartin, Jack Hunt, Henri Lansbury, Adrian Mariappa, Jamie Paterson, Tommy Rowe, Liam Walsh, Marley Watkins.

If McIntyre doesn’t sign Baker would not be a bad shout.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 May 2021 14:05

linkenholtroyal
morganb
Hound

If McIntyre doesn’t sign Baker would not be a bad shout.

yeah no one really. Diedhou would still be an option but only if we managed to offload Puscas or Joao I think. Expect he'd want big wages/contract and he isnt that special

339 posts