Olise being sold for £8m?

471 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Olise being sold for £8m?

by Hound » 07 Jul 2021 18:19

Notts Royal Another Dai master stroke this :shock:

Still…bit of an odd move for Palace bearing in mind they have Eze on the books too

Surely it’d be ‘more like Dai’ to not sell and lose him on a free?

Yep eze has a long term injury I believe

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 07 Jul 2021 18:26

Is 8 million still a club record?

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 07 Jul 2021 23:24

Hound
Notts Royal Another Dai master stroke this :shock:

Still…bit of an odd move for Palace bearing in mind they have Eze on the books too

Surely it’d be ‘more like Dai’ to not sell and lose him on a free?

Yep eze has a long term injury I believe

Yea fair plays didn’t realise Eze was injured for that long.

I suppose it’s an improvement on the Loader & Richards situation as at least we are selling when he’s under contract. But the release clause of £8m is pretty disappointing

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jul 2021 23:49

linkenholtroyal Interesting thought here is that ok we are not probably flush with FFP at the moment. but we have probably taken a third off of our wage bill again, .

What do you mean again? We haven't taken a third off it at any point yet.

I don't believe the £8m... I'd have expected him to go in Jan for that, screams lazy journalism. If he has a release fee fair enough, but just seems unlikely after he finished the season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jul 2021 23:50

andrew1957 £8M does not sound a lot in these days of madly high fees, but if I recall rightly it will still be a club record fee received for any player.

Also surely if there is a £8M release clause there is no reason why a club could not offer more than this and so is it possible that other clubs might come in for him too and set off a bidding war?

Why? All offer £8m and use the wages as your bidding war. If there's a release clause, we can't say no.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Jul 2021 08:48

Snowflake Royal
linkenholtroyal Interesting thought here is that ok we are not probably flush with FFP at the moment. but we have probably taken a third off of our wage bill again, .

I don't believe the £8m... I'd have expected him to go in Jan for that, screams lazy journalism. If he has a release fee fair enough, but just seems unlikely after he finished the season.

The only way I see the release clause being accurate is that it is activated in last 12 months of the contract and not before.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 08 Jul 2021 10:01

Hendo
Snowflake Royal

The only way I see the release clause being accurate is that it is activated in last 12 months of the contract and not before.

I guess that's possible, although sounds a bit unlikely. I think you have to go back to where the release clause rumour started, which was Sky as I recall. No source for that rumour has ever been identified, although I'm guessing it was probably an agent or even someone connected to Olise as revealing it would be in his favour by alerting other clubs.

Paunovic said on the record he was not aware of a release clause in Olise's contract. That may well have been a politician's answer or he may have been telling the truth. If he was it seems inconceivable that the manger would not know about a release clause in the contract of one of his star players.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 08 Jul 2021 11:03

Undisclosed fee without a doubt.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 08 Jul 2021 11:24

Snowflake Royal

In 2020/21
We sold and released
Barrow
Mccleary
Obita
Gunter
Popa
Holsgrove
Mannone
Adam
Blackett
Loader

and replaced with
Holmes
Southwood
Tetek
Ejaria
Laurent

so far this year we have released
Walker
Smith
Richards (with a settlement)
Aluko
Baldock
Thierry Nevers (Fee)

and signed
Mcintyre on for 3 years.

I would say in the last 2 years we have slashed our wage bill by somewhere around 40%. we have sold or released 16 players and are left with a squad of 18. 7 of which are academy graduates (according to transfermarkt.

just saying :?

yes we are under an embargo but that is due to the financial system leftover from years of overpriced wages we manage to get through this year in the championship and nurture some of the youth on we will be much better for years to come . the big earners we have left are Puscas, Meite, Moore, Rafael, Joao, Swift and maybe Ejaria. there is atleast 8 or 9 in the list above that would have been on the same or more than the current high earners.

We will make signings this year but they will be shrewd or young. players like Kadeem Harris or Connor Ogilvie and youth from the prem on loan.

Jist is we need to learn from our mistakes and not do it again.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jul 2021 11:55

linkenholtroyal
Snowflake Royal

In 2020/21
We sold and released
Barrow
Mccleary
Obita
Gunter
Popa
Holsgrove
Mannone
Adam
Blackett
Loader

and replaced with
Holmes
Southwood
Tetek
Ejaria
Laurent

so far this year we have released
Walker
Smith
Richards (with a settlement)
Aluko
Baldock
Thierry Nevers (Fee)

and signed
Mcintyre on for 3 years.

I would say in the last 2 years we have slashed our wage bill by somewhere around 40%. we have sold or released 16 players and are left with a squad of 18. 7 of which are academy graduates (according to transfermarkt.

just saying :?

yes we are under an embargo but that is due to the financial system leftover from years of overpriced wages we manage to get through this year in the championship and nurture some of the youth on we will be much better for years to come . the big earners we have left are Puscas, Meite, Moore, Rafael, Joao, Swift and maybe Ejaria. there is atleast 8 or 9 in the list above that would have been on the same or more than the current high earners.

We will make signings this year but they will be shrewd or young. players like Kadeem Harris or Connor Ogilvie and youth from the prem on loan.

Jist is we need to learn from our mistakes and not do it again.

People have been saying we've slashed our wage budget for years, and yet the latest figures show we'd done nothing of the sort.

If we've got it down by a third last summer and this combined we'll be doing well. We certainly haven't come even remotely close prior to that. And it certainly won't be 'again this summer.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 08 Jul 2021 12:53

This has been gone over and over and I dont think some posters really get it. We are allowed £13m losses each year.

What we do know is that our losses, pre covid were running at about £18-20m a year. We need to shave £7m a year off that just to squeak inside the FFP threshold average allowed losses of £13m a year. That's getting rid of 7 players on £20,000 a week without replacing them and without bringing in anyone else or anyone having an incremental pay rise or any other increase in running costs or drop in revenue just to meet the limit. Chuck into the mix the fact that the only think keeping us FFP compliant in the past 3 years has been flogging the stadium for £28m (and we still posted a loss that year even with doing that) and you see how much of a problem it is . Now, if we flogged the naming rights for £10m a year, that would be great but wouldn't have any impact on this season's FFP calculation.

Realistically, we need to be halving our losses just to give ourselves some room to move in the transfer market. There is absolutely no way we have slashed our wage bill by 40% in the past 2 years and the published figures also suggest nothing of the sort. We lost £42m in the last published accounts for the covid affected year which suggests running costs of close to £1m a week. Our normal income is less than half that.

On the plus side, we haven't tried to blag or bullshit the EFL and have at least been making an effort to address the issue so I'm fairly confident we won't get a points deduction.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 08 Jul 2021 13:42

ITK Eddie speaks:

Although the sale of Micheal Olise may be well bellow the right price, it will go a long way in preventing #ReadingFC from receiving the uncertainty of a looming points deduction.

https://mobile.twitter.com/EddieRFC7/st ... 5654288384

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Jul 2021 14:02

From Despair To Where? This has been gone over and over and I dont think some posters really get it. We are allowed £13m losses each year.

What we do know is that our losses, pre covid were running at about £18-20m a year. We need to shave £7m a year off that just to squeak inside the FFP threshold average allowed losses of £13m a year. That's getting rid of 7 players on £20,000 a week without replacing them and without bringing in anyone else or anyone having an incremental pay rise or any other increase in running costs or drop in revenue just to meet the limit. Chuck into the mix the fact that the only think keeping us FFP compliant in the past 3 years has been flogging the stadium for £28m (and we still posted a loss that year even with doing that) and you see how much of a problem it is . Now, if we flogged the naming rights for £10m a year, that would be great but wouldn't have any impact on this season's FFP calculation.

Realistically, we need to be halving our losses just to give ourselves some room to move in the transfer market. There is absolutely no way we have slashed our wage bill by 40% in the past 2 years and the published figures also suggest nothing of the sort. We lost £42m in the last published accounts for the covid affected year which suggests running costs of close to £1m a week. Our normal income is less than half that.

On the plus side, we haven't tried to blag or bullshit the EFL and have at least been making an effort to address the issue so I'm fairly confident we won't get a points deduction.

when were the last accounts for? Presuming they aren't out yet for last season yet (not being paying much attention tbh).

Think the point was that since June 2020 we have lost a lot of high earners from the budget - McCleary, Gunter, Baldock, Aluko and co. I doubt we have really seen the benefit of this yet (being as Aluko and Baldock were still paid up til a week or two ago) but I've no doubts the weekly wage bill is considerably lower than it was at the end of the 19/20 season.

But yeah, we were so far over FFP thanks to Gourlay and co, it'll take a lot more than that to get us fully back on track.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 08 Jul 2021 14:04

Someone posted a link on here in April saying that provisionally, we had lost £42m last financial year.

Cant remember which thread as this seems to straddle a few.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Jul 2021 14:12

yeah not sure. But wouldn't totally surprise me

I do think that we should still be looking to offload Rafael and Moore tbh. Big earners who we can replace out of what we have. Getting someone to take them will be difficult though

Swift's bumper contract runs out next year. Joao is very sellable, as is Ejaria. Puscas - rumours are his wages aren't too high, but could be one to move on as well.

At that point, we'd look pretty streamlined. If we can keep the EFL off our back until then things should resolve themselves fairly well

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 08 Jul 2021 14:18

Agreed. Moore's contract is the big one, especially with 2 years to run and who's going to take that on? Rafael's and Swift's are up next summer.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 08 Jul 2021 14:25

Everything's alright though as Jlow has just tweeted that we're signing Yannick Bolasie and Junior Hoilett.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Jul 2021 14:30

Norfolk Royal Everything's alright though as Jlow has just tweeted that we're signing Yannick Bolasie and Junior Hoilett.

not unhappy with those - experienced wingers, presuming won't cost a fortune

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Jul 2021 14:37

Hound
Norfolk Royal Everything's alright though as Jlow has just tweeted that we're signing Yannick Bolasie and Junior Hoilett.

Yeah, wouldn't be unhappy with either of those. It wasn't that long ago they were both very highly rated and with no wingers, it would make 100% sense.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Jul 2021 14:49

Hendo
Hound

Yeah, wouldn't be unhappy with either of those. It wasn't that long ago they were both very highly rated and with no wingers, it would make 100% sense.

Yep, we absolutely need more wide players to give the squad depth and whilst I would prefer us to sign younger players - though somehow Hoilett is still only 31 - they both have plenty of experience of this level and offer us an option.

471 posts