Rumour - Muhamed Besic

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rumour - Muhamed Besic

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jun 2021 17:40

tidus_mi2
Snowflake Royal I'd probably say Evans was a 5.5 - 6.5 player.

Rino is your quintessential 7/10 guy. Just always good, rarely spectacular.

And Chris Gunter was definitely a consistent 6/10, generally if someone asked how he did you'd shrug your shoulders and say "He was alright I guess"

Yeah. 6/10 is ok, but essentially a bit disappointing and not really what you're looking for. Which is Chris Gunter through and through.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 10 Jun 2021 18:29

Snowflake Royal
tidus_mi2

And Chris Gunter was definitely a consistent 6/10, generally if someone asked how he did you'd shrug your shoulders and say "He was alright I guess"

Yeah. 6/10 is ok, but essentially a bit disappointing and not really what you're looking for. Which is Chris Gunter through and through.

Surely we'd have a 5.5-6/10 player in the academy? If we're bringing somebody in and paying them full whack salary, in our current financial straits, they should be at least a 7.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Jun 2021 18:57

muirinho
Snowflake Royal
tidus_mi2 And Chris Gunter was definitely a consistent 6/10, generally if someone asked how he did you'd shrug your shoulders and say "He was alright I guess"

Surely we'd have a 5.5-6/10 player in the academy? If we're bringing somebody in and paying them full whack salary, in our current financial straits, they should be at least a 7.

Minimum of 9 in the looks department too.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 10 Jun 2021 19:05

Snowflake Royal
tidus_mi2

My defining memory of Chris Gunter is him bottling out of a 50/50 challenge in front of the Dolan Stand, and guess what there was a Wales WC qualifier the next midweek. He couldn’t get out of the way quick enough. He was okay, but if he had been as committed for us as he is/was for Wales, he could’ve been so much more of a player for us. I also think he used to run forward with purpose only to ultimately pass the ball sideways or backwards, rather than take someone on or put a ball in, but some of that might be down to Stamball rather than Chris.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Jun 2021 21:12

Howany threads inevitably end up discussing Gunter? Feels like more than half.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 10 Jun 2021 21:17

NewCorkSeth Howany threads inevitably end up discussing Gunter? Feels like more than half.

So 6/10 then, just like the man himself

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 Jun 2021 09:01

:D

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Jun 2021 11:35

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth Thats not terrible tbf.. wages obviously the big turn off here. Sure, George Evans was a 6-7 every game and cost feck all in wages.

Is it a priority position? Not to jump on any academy bandwagons but Laurent and Rinomhota could be supplemented by Tetek right?

Don’t think the two are comparable, Evans was rarely more than a 5/5.5 out of 10

Besic is a decent player, hard working, decent attitude. The fact that both Pulis and Wilder liked him says enough. Believe he chips in with the odd goal too. Application sometimes off, a bit rash with decision making sometimes

Think we could do a lot worse and IMO would be an upgrade on Semedo but as you say, dependent on wages

Maybe I'm being unrealistic with Evans but I remember him being solid if unremarkable. Didn't play poorly often even when the team did poorly as a whole. Just didn't have the highs that both Rinomhota and Laurent have had although he did play more of an anchoring role.

Too many games with Evans in midfield where you'd forget he was playing. Some see that as a good thing for a midfielder (quietly getting about their business etc) but we were leaking goals left, right and centre still

We were winning games in his first season so not many picked up on it but as soon as we started losing, people began to question what he actually offered to the team

IMO was extremely limited, thought JVDB was a much better option there, although I've heard Evans is now better as a CB where he only played for us a few select times

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jun 2021 13:55

yeah liked Evans first season, really didnt after that

still seems to be doing well at Millwall, so good luck to him there. Derby spell sounded very similar to the one with us after stam season 1

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 11 Jun 2021 16:22

Evans is underrated, didn’t run around a lot but had good defensive positioning and a great range of passing. Did the stuff that fans don’t usually notice. He was no Norwood but he was a reliable performer.