Rumour - Jack Tucker

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Rumour - Jack Tucker

by Nameless » 21 Jun 2021 11:01

Chairman Mao no actual purchases allowed, but the transfer embargo has lots of caveats - its quite a soft "embargo" as i see it

The embargo continues to allow Royals to sign players on a free transfer or on loan, but the club is not allowed to spend any money on transfer fees and players' wages must be sensible.
Clubs can also show that there is a bona fide need to strengthen and that there is room within the squad to add players.
For instance, as things stand, Reading only have four senior defenders contracted to the club for next season, so they would be allowed reinforcements in this area.
The senior squad at Reading currently stands at 18.
Clubs under embargo are allowed to add to the squad where they have fewer than 23 established players. that does not include academy players under 21.

i guess if there is a big sale, we may also be allowed to spend a small portion of that money on someone
and we can always work around it with some creative loan deal accountancy too

So we can bring in 7 players to bring us up to 23. And we could also sign a left back or two, and a couple of wingers. Presumably the forward whohas been on loan in Scotland since Bannockburn doesn’t count as part of the squad given he’s hardly an ‘established’ player. Would Araruna count ? Tetek ? Southwood ?

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 21 Jun 2021 12:09

Nameless
Chairman Mao no actual purchases allowed, but the transfer embargo has lots of caveats - its quite a soft "embargo" as i see it

The embargo continues to allow Royals to sign players on a free transfer or on loan, but the club is not allowed to spend any money on transfer fees and players' wages must be sensible.
Clubs can also show that there is a bona fide need to strengthen and that there is room within the squad to add players.
For instance, as things stand, Reading only have four senior defenders contracted to the club for next season, so they would be allowed reinforcements in this area.
The senior squad at Reading currently stands at 18.
Clubs under embargo are allowed to add to the squad where they have fewer than 23 established players. that does not include academy players under 21.

i guess if there is a big sale, we may also be allowed to spend a small portion of that money on someone
and we can always work around it with some creative loan deal accountancy too

So we can bring in 7 players to bring us up to 23. And we could also sign a left back or two, and a couple of wingers. Presumably the forward whohas been on loan in Scotland since Bannockburn doesn’t count as part of the squad given he’s hardly an ‘established’ player. Would Araruna count ? Tetek ? Southwood ?

I think it comes down to whether they are still on a youth contract Southwood has just signed a full pro contract rather than an U23 contract. So yes he would count. Tetek is still a youth contract so no he would not and Araruna would cout aswell.
Ironically so would McNulty as he is on a full pro contract so would count in the numbers. It would be interesting to see how FFP would see it if he was put out on loan again would this be 1 less senior pro at the club.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jun 2021 12:37

Is this the third summer embargo in a row since Gourlay left?

Doesn't speak well of the clubs efforts to get things under control, especially having spent and refused millions in fees in that time.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 21 Jun 2021 15:06

Snowflake Royal Is this the third summer embargo in a row since Gourlay left?

Doesn't speak well of the clubs efforts to get things under control, especially having spent and refused millions in fees in that time.

We’ve only ‘refused’ Millions for Moore haven’t we ?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jun 2021 15:40

Nameless

Loader and Swift.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Jun 2021 16:00

Snowflake Royal
Nameless

Loader and Swift.

Loader for sure, but I don't remember there being any firm info on an actual bid for Swift? Was that the Sheff Utd one, thought it was just rumours they wanted him but weren't going to match the value we put on him - which I think is fair enough, tbh, especially for one of your best players.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Jun 2021 16:03

I suppose 3 million does count as 'millions'. Coz thats all shelf utd offered

doubt Loader was more than 2 mil tops

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 21 Jun 2021 16:33

Hound I suppose 3 million does count as 'millions'. Coz thats all shelf utd offered

doubt Loader was more than 2 mil tops

2 mil is better than nothing. same for Olise and Meite this year I would rather take 5 million for each of them now than nothing at the end of the season.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 21 Jun 2021 17:12

The alternative is to have a fire sale, mass promote from the academy and almost certainly get relegated.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jun 2021 17:27

PATRIQT

The alternative is to have a fire sale, mass promote from the academy and almost certainly get relegated.

I disagree. That's a very extreme alternative.

We could have sold Swift - that's ~£3m in and ~£1.3m off last year's wage budget in a position we had options or could have made a Laurent style signing. Net saving between about £2m and £4.5m.

We could have sold Loader - that's ~ £1.5m in and ~ £100k saving. Net saving £1m to £2.5m.

We could have not signed both Puscas and Joao. ~£3m to £8m saving

We could have not signed Ejaria, ~£2m saving on fee and £1m on wages. Call it net £1m once a cheaper alternative was sourced.

We could have looked for more Laurent style signings as replacements or used more existing players.

There's loads more we could have done in the past to put us in a better position without dramatically harming performance with just a handful of decisions, based just on the options that were public. Not considering any proactive touting of players we might have tried.

Chairman Mao
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Chairman Mao » 24 Jun 2021 13:38

pretty sure not signing joao would have dramatically altered our performance

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jun 2021 19:19

Chairman Mao pretty sure not signing joao would have dramatically altered our performance

Joao certainly the obvious standout difference maker, but Puscas may well have stepped up more last season if there was no Joao.

And I doubt we'd have been in a relegation fight either season without him. So basically - same division but something like £8m - £14m less up shit creek on FFP

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jun 2021 20:12

Snowflake Royal
Chairman Mao pretty sure not signing joao would have dramatically altered our performance

Joao certainly the obvious standout difference maker, but Puscas may well have stepped up more last season if there was no Joao.

And I doubt we'd have been in a relegation fight either season without him. So basically - same division but something like £8m - £14m less up shit creek on FFP

Yep but without Joao, the likes of Laurent and Olise (and Joao himself) probably wouldn’t have played so well and hence increase their value. Did also prob help us get on tv so much