How many players will we sign this summer?

How many players will we sign

15%
6%
24%
23%
12%
11%
6%
7+
3%

Total votes: 66
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: How many players will we sign this summer?

by Hound » 08 Jul 2021 19:38

Pepe the Horseman
Hound dunno, experienced wingers, played in the champ last year. Short term contracts, lowish wage, no fee. With Meite out, makes plenty of sense to me

Both the wrong side of 30 and not sure about lowish wagers. Suppose a one year deal wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but would rather be looking at younger players with a bit to prove.

Tbf I suspect half our team will be younger players with something to prove next year

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 08 Jul 2021 20:12

I like the idea of giving some of our younger players a chance to prove their worth in the first team, and to be honest i really think this should be the model for the club moving forward. I also think a "Director of Football" should be in place and give these youngsters a three year deal to show their worth and hopefully not get sucker punched by the likes of Bayern and Palarse.
I would also be happy for Raphael and Moore to be offloaded to assist with financing the books. With McIntyre and Holmes signing new contracts and some great young keepers coming through then why not.
With regards to Hoilett and the other chap, its a big no for me, i would much prefer some young hungrey players from the Premiership given a chance to prove themselves on loan.

This transfer embargo could may well turn out to be a blessing in disguise for the club and actually put us back on tracks of being a well run club.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 08 Jul 2021 20:26

Hound
Pepe the Horseman
Hound dunno, experienced wingers, played in the champ last year. Short term contracts, lowish wage, no fee. With Meite out, makes plenty of sense to me

Both the wrong side of 30 and not sure about lowish wagers. Suppose a one year deal wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but would rather be looking at younger players with a bit to prove.

Tbf I suspect half our team will be younger players with something to prove next year

Yeh fair point.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 09 Jul 2021 09:01

Crowbar6753 I like the idea of giving some of our younger players a chance to prove their worth in the first team, and to be honest i really think this should be the model for the club moving forward. I also think a "Director of Football" should be in place and give these youngsters a three year deal to show their worth and hopefully not get sucker punched by the likes of Bayern and Palarse.
I would also be happy for Raphael and Moore to be offloaded to assist with financing the books. With McIntyre and Holmes signing new contracts and some great young keepers coming through then why not.
With regards to Hoilett and the other chap, its a big no for me, i would much prefer some young hungrey players from the Premiership given a chance to prove themselves on loan.

This transfer embargo could may well turn out to be a blessing in disguise for the club and actually put us back on tracks of being a well run club.

As long as you're not the first to jump on the backs of our youngsters for making schoolboy errors ...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Jul 2021 12:36

Royalwaster
Crowbar6753 I like the idea of giving some of our younger players a chance to prove their worth in the first team, and to be honest i really think this should be the model for the club moving forward. I also think a "Director of Football" should be in place and give these youngsters a three year deal to show their worth and hopefully not get sucker punched by the likes of Bayern and Palarse.

As long as you're not the first to jump on the backs of our youngsters for making schoolboy errors ...

Should be easy to work out who might do that.

Just check who said McIntyre wasn't good enough when he had one bad game against Preston, wasn't it?

MM

by MM » 11 Jul 2021 17:43

A first choice left-back would seem to be the clear priority but that could well end up being a loan - somebody like Maatsen.

A winger or two with the right flank being most important as there is nobody really to play that side without Olise & Meite.

A striker able to lead the line on his own as the drop off in quality from Joao is immense and his injury record doesn't suggest he will manage a full 46-game season.

A central midfielder capable of playing box-to-box or the Pele/Semedo role to supplement Rinomhota, Laurent & Tetek.

Possibly another centre-back, ideally similar to Gibson who could also play left-back (again feel this could be a loan). Or if McIntyre is going to be shifted there, a younger centre-back like Tucker could be useful if he is still on the radar.

Despite the embargo, good value can still be found from loans and free transfers. If (as suggested) free transfers can be on around £11k per week then the likes of ex-Luton man Pelly Ruddock Mpanzu would be attainable, and he would be a fantastic addition.

I'd happily sacrifice Puscas if there was any interest as he hasn't justified his fee or wages and the money can be put towards the black hole. If you take the right ones, free or loan players can still be good enough - although the former pool would have been better before 30th June. McNulty will presumably be allowed to leave too, although he could at a push be 3rd choice if a twin striker formation was ever going to be used.

Numbers can be boosted by Academy youngsters, but there is going to be a clear drop-off in terms of squad quality and depth which I think we should all be prepared for.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 17 Jul 2021 11:29

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... g-21072942

Sounds as though we're currently prevented from offering any player contracts, but the club is hopeful that the EFL will agree to some this week.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Jul 2021 12:44

Hard to believe we're barred from offering contracts based on McIntyre signing and all the posts about what embargos mean around squad size etc

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 17 Jul 2021 12:56

Snowflake Royal Hard to believe we're barred from offering contracts based on McIntyre signing and all the posts about what embargos mean around squad size etc

I mean that the club needs to get EFL approval for any new contracts (Inc. McIntrye).

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Jul 2021 13:13

Elm Park Kid
Snowflake Royal Hard to believe we're barred from offering contracts based on McIntyre signing and all the posts about what embargos mean around squad size etc

I mean that the club needs to get EFL approval for any new contracts (Inc. McIntrye).

That would make more sense :)

Apols

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Jul 2021 14:07

Snowflake Royal
Royalwaster

Should be easy to work out who might do that.

Just check who said McIntyre wasn't good enough when he had one bad game against Preston, wasn't it?

Man that was shocking. Twitter was even worse. People totally wrote him off.

Once upon a time .

by Once upon a time . » 17 Jul 2021 15:54

I know, as we all do about our financial restrictions on signing players , but I’m sure it doesn’t say that we have to wait until every other club has had their pick ! Why , oh why do we have to leave it till the last minute - EVERY TIME !
Is this ever a good policy ?

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 17 Jul 2021 22:09

The policy seems to be:

A) Give the youngsters a chance in pre season and go away with the firsts.

B) If there’s any glaring deficiencies in the squad; sign some players in those positions.

I kinda like that philosophy - we all know we won’t be able to sign another Puscas or Joao or Ejaria on big money come the last week of the window; and any last minute additions will be ones we will truly need.

This years additions will see the club being far more prudent and it’s good to hear we have players who have been on trial early doors.

It’s really not all doom and gloom. Olise and Richards did not carry this team.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Jul 2021 00:04

royalp-we The policy seems to be:

A) Give the youngsters a chance in pre season and go away with the firsts.

B) If there’s any glaring deficiencies in the squad; sign some players in those positions.

I kinda like that philosophy - we all know we won’t be able to sign another Puscas or Joao or Ejaria on big money come the last week of the window; and any last minute additions will be ones we will truly need.

This years additions will see the club being far more prudent and it’s good to hear we have players who have been on trial early doors.

It’s really not all doom and gloom. Olise and Richards did not carry this team.

Arguably Olise and Joao did.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Jul 2021 07:47

A fit Swift will go a long way towards compensating for the loss of Olise.

I can't help but think Meite will be the bigger loss this season. He just has the knack of digging in and popping up with vital goals when things aren't going our way.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 18 Jul 2021 09:08

From Despair To Where? A fit Swift will go a long way towards compensating for the loss of Olise.

I can't help but think Meite will be the bigger loss this season. He just has the knack of digging in and popping up with vital goals when things aren't going our way.

Totally agree. We will miss Meite big time, he has pace and power and scares the shit out of defenders. His touch and decision making is improving all the time too.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Jul 2021 09:13

Yep Meite being out is a hammer blow

Could cope with the other 2 going as a) only thoughts Richards was particularly good before Christmas and b) swift in for Olise

Meite though :cry:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Jul 2021 11:29

IF Swift can play 35 games at the level expected for him, then we won't miss Olise too much, although that doesn't mean he wasn't a player who largely carried us last season.

Alternatively, IF Ejaria can work out an appropriate tempo to play at and start delivering end product consistently, then we won't miss Olise too much.

But that's a lot to expect from a player with an awful injury record and one who hasn't performed consistently ever.

Meite will certainly be a big loss as you say. He has a knack of scoring big goals and offers the opposition a completely different problem to the rest of our team.

Hopefully the Joao we know and love will be back this season too, rather than the one we finished last season with. Because if he's not, that's almost all our big goal threats from the last few seasons gone or not performing.

Felt91

by Felt91 » 18 Jul 2021 18:47

Lewis baker midfield cover
Young loan left back to compete with bairstow
Winger with pace (mo barrow style)
Striker who can head the ball

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 18 Jul 2021 22:09

Andy Carroll is Available on a free. Would make a good target mad as a partner to Puscas or Joao. I know wages would be hefty but at least we could offer him playing time.