Rumour - Kyle Edwards

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rumour - Kyle Edwards

by From Despair To Where? » 27 Jul 2021 07:58

Personally, I don't see why the EFL can't scrutinise the financial viability of every transfer for every club and cap squad sizes. If it can impose an embargo when someone overspends then there's no reason why they can't block unsustainable spending in the first place otherwise you're just locking the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Jul 2021 08:23

Notts Royal
Mid Sussex Royal We can only sign players for a year as I understand it, leaves us in a poor position to sign someone like him

We are looking at journeymen at the end of their careers or released youngsters like Onen last season...

Hopefully we can get lucky somewhere but doesn't look good

Completely get the rule about only being able to get free agents, but the rule about only being able to sign them for a year is pants. Clubs should be able to sign them for more than 1 year so long as the wage is sensible. After all, isn’t that a more sustainable approach?

There are no sensible wages in football.

Our wage bill was last seen at triple (TRIPLE) what is realistically sustainable.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 27 Jul 2021 11:35

From Despair To Where? Personally, I don't see why the EFL can't scrutinise the financial viability of every transfer for every club and cap squad sizes. If it can impose an embargo when someone overspends then there's no reason why they can't block unsustainable spending in the first place otherwise you're just locking the stable door after the horse has bolted.

The answer to that is that ultimately the EFL is run to promote the collective interests of the owners of EFL clubs; with the interest of Championship club owners having a much bigger say. It's in their interest to have FFP to avoid an 'arms race' in rich owner spending - but they don't want the EFL scrutinising all their dealings.

If we had an independent system of regulation then yes, we could then move to a process where each teams spending is monitored in 'real time' to avoid these situations.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 27 Jul 2021 12:22

Looking at historical losses and how out of control they are, it's a mix of mismanagement but also structural issues at this level.

You can look at many transfer and contract decisions made on the likes of Moore, Swift, Puscas, Aluko, Bacuna, Baldock etc. But we're over £60m outside the FFP limits over the past few years. Even without those decisions, it feels like we'd be short.

The only sustainable solution I see is becoming a better selling club. Letting thr big contracts and fees spent run off our books isn't enough

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 27 Jul 2021 13:16

Some of us have been saying exactly that for a while but you always get the ones who say "but we've released such and such...."

The problem has always been greater than just the transfers in and wage bill

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 27 Jul 2021 16:08

From Despair To Where? Some of us have been saying exactly that for a while but you always get the ones who say "but we've released such and such...."

The problem has always been greater than just the transfers in and wage bill

Problems arise when you sign both Joao & Puscas for big money…with no strategy of how to use them, whilst carrying Baldock & McNulty on the books at the same time.
Signing 1, whilst signing Novakovich for another season, and trying to utilise either Baldock or McNulty would’ve been a more sensible solution. I doubt we’d have finished much lower in the table than 14th that season either.

We can’t really blame anyone else apart from ourselves…or more specifically, Mr Dai. Yes Gourlay was a fool, but silly signings have been made since his departure. Can’t imagine Miazga & Pele were cheap.

Minimising losses & selling for as high as you can is important. But just as important is making the right signings in the first place. Tying McNulty down for 4 seasons was madness. Tying Baldock down for 3 seasons when he was past his peak was also silly

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 27 Jul 2021 16:16

I think buying McNulty and Baldock in the same window was bonkers. Felt like they shit themselves with McNulty then panic bought Baldock.

Likewise Joao and Puscas in the same window. One or other but not both.

And then as you say, letting Novakovich go. Can't have been any worse than McNulty. Obviously hindsight is a wonderful thing though but you can't carry squad players on 1st XI wages.

I also don't see the wisdom in offering anyone over 3 years. You can always renegotiate after 18 months.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jul 2021 08:16

Elm Park Kid
From Despair To Where? Personally, I don't see why the EFL can't scrutinise the financial viability of every transfer for every club and cap squad sizes. If it can impose an embargo when someone overspends then there's no reason why they can't block unsustainable spending in the first place otherwise you're just locking the stable door after the horse has bolted.

The answer to that is that ultimately the EFL is run to promote the collective interests of the owners of EFL clubs; with the interest of Championship club owners having a much bigger say. It's in their interest to have FFP to avoid an 'arms race' in rich owner spending - but they don't want the EFL scrutinising all their dealings.

If we had an independent system of regulation then yes, we could then move to a process where each teams spending is monitored in 'real time' to avoid these situations.

I'd like to see:

Competition and TV revenue filtered through an independent body who can take steps to divert it to creditors (including players) in the event of financial trouble.

The end of players getting 100% of money before non-footballing creditors get a penny

All transfer fees go through an independent body, as recommended 30 odd years ago

All player wages go through the PFA or an independent body

Independent board representation

Ban on money being taken out of clubs

Mandatory relegation release and wage clauses

Salary caps.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Jul 2021 09:12

From Despair To Where? I think buying McNulty and Baldock in the same window was bonkers. Felt like they shit themselves with McNulty then panic bought Baldock.

Likewise Joao and Puscas in the same window. One or other but not both.

And then as you say, letting Novakovich go. Can't have been any worse than McNulty. Obviously hindsight is a wonderful thing though but you can't carry squad players on 1st XI wages.

I also don't see the wisdom in offering anyone over 3 years. You can always renegotiate after 18 months.

I’ve no real issue with the Puscas and Joao signings. Joao almost got us into the play offs last year, Puscas made a big contribution to us staying up the year before. Both pre-Covid would be likely to be sold on at a profit

Nova (untested in champ) and McNulty up front would have likely been awful and we’d have gone down . No way either are on the level of Puscas/Joao

I think we did get an on fee in for Nova as well.

Agree we need to become better at selling. Obviously not selling Moore for good money was a desperate decision. But we’ve just pulled in 8m profit on an academy player and the actual signings we’ve made - ejaria, Puscas,Joao, Laurent + the likes of Rino and Swift in pre-Covid climate could all have been sold on for money and probably even now

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 28 Jul 2021 09:39

Even in the post-Covid climate, we should have got at least double for Olise

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 28 Jul 2021 09:41

I wasn't suggesting Novakovich and McNulty instead of Joao and Puscas, just that our transfer dealings in the summer of 2018 were shocking. We bought McNulty for an alleged fee of £1m+ and then Baldock for an alleged £3m+ when we already had Meite, Bodvarsson, Barrow, Loader, Smith and Novakovich and you can possibly add Aluko to that as well.

Granted only one of those 7 is still at the club but we bought 11 goals in 80 appearances for £4m. We sold Barrow and Bod for a total of less than £2m and they got 32 in 130 between them. Barrow had his issues but I thought Bod was a better player and a better fit than either of them. Obviously Clement thought differently.

I'm oversimplifying and a lot of the time its about players fitting the system or the club but we just seemed to stockpile average players for big money. It' shit deals like that that necessitated us spending however much on Joao and Puscas.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 28 Jul 2021 10:42

Not sure if posted elsewhere but Kyle Edwards played for Bournemouth last night in the second half of their friendly with Chelsea.
Is this history repeating itself with the young winger doing the same this time last year in moving South before the season started after spending quite some time with us?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 28 Jul 2021 11:13

South Coast Royal Not sure if posted elsewhere but Kyle Edwards played for Bournemouth last night in the second half of their friendly with Chelsea.
Is this history repeating itself with the young winger doing the same this time last year in moving South before the season started after spending quite some time with us?

Difference being we actually wanted Riquelme.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Jul 2021 11:14

Who then went on and did naff all anyway.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 28 Jul 2021 12:06

QPR were an even worse version of us all those years ago with FFP, they only recently got out of it. Now they constantly scout for homegrown, young players not quite good enough yet, but they give them a year in the championship then they’re assets the next season. Not afraid to pay for the more experienced players which provide the quality ie Johansen and Austin. I hope when FFP is behind us we follow this. We have the academy to do it.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 28 Jul 2021 12:51

From Despair To Where? I wasn't suggesting Novakovich and McNulty instead of Joao and Puscas, just that our transfer dealings in the summer of 2018 were shocking. We bought McNulty for an alleged fee of £1m+ and then Baldock for an alleged £3m+ when we already had Meite, Bodvarsson, Barrow, Loader, Smith and Novakovich and you can possibly add Aluko to that as well.

Granted only one of those 7 is still at the club but we bought 11 goals in 80 appearances for £4m. We sold Barrow and Bod for a total of less than £2m and they got 32 in 130 between them. Barrow had his issues but I thought Bod was a better player and a better fit than either of them. Obviously Clement thought differently.

I'm oversimplifying and a lot of the time its about players fitting the system or the club but we just seemed to stockpile average players for big money. It' shit deals like that that necessitated us spending however much on Joao and Puscas.

Its worth remembering that particular transfer window started with a transfer embargo of sorts as well.

Nelson Oliveira was Gomes' No1 choice as a front man but we couldn't "afford" him even though he was available at cut price, maybe even free as a fee. Gomes naively assumed we'd be able to offload Gunter/McCleary/Baldock who he'd stated were surplus to requirements. That should have been the club's immediate priority. To honour the manager/Head Coach's wants. He stated he wanted a "young, tight (ooer missus) squad that could cash in on the feel good factor that was slowly returning at the back end of the previous season.

So why didn't this happen? We had a DOF in place afterall.

Looking back now it seems that there was a clear disconnect between Gomes' vision and the DOF (at the wishes of the owner ?) priority.

I say this because pretty much the first 2 players that did come through the door (aside from Virginia ) were Morrison and Charlie Adam. Good players obviously but once again not exactly delivering on the managers "Young Squad" vision.

I don't think for one moment Gomes was a good enough manager to ever have got us even close to promoted , which was the ONLY goal as far as Dai was concerned at the time but with the sort of mixed messaging throughout the management structure I think he was pretty much doomed from the start of that season.

I do often wonder about what would have happened if we'd got Oliveira at that point particularly in relation to Danny Loader. There were encouraging signs at the end of the previous season that Loader could play well off him.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 28 Jul 2021 13:04

Notts Royal Even in the post-Covid climate, we should have got at least double for Olise

Someone, apologies to that person as I have forgotten who it was, posted a link to a really interesting article about Olise, and how he has unshakeable confidence that he will reach the very top, and each club choice and direction through his youth career has been made based on the best way for his talent to be nurtured at each stage. At City or Chelsea he will have been a small cog and will not most likely have had a full season of first team football and exposure which has led to his next stepping stone in his development at Palace. After reading that, I am pretty sure Olise would’ve probably only agreed to sign the contract with us at 16 with the release clause set at £8m knowing his career plans so we may not have had any choice on that figure if he doesn’t want to sign a revised contract last season.

I only hope that we have included a 20% sell-on clause, so if he does end up going to PSG for £50m in two year’s time we will get a good cut of that.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Jul 2021 13:11

TiagoIlori QPR were an even worse version of us all those years ago with FFP, they only recently got out of it. Now they constantly scout for homegrown, young players not quite good enough yet, but they give them a year in the championship then they’re assets the next season. Not afraid to pay for the more experienced players which provide the quality ie Johansen and Austin. I hope when FFP is behind us we follow this. We have the academy to do it.

Yeah was thinking this the other day. Probably a fair bet to how we will evolve

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 28 Jul 2021 13:13

Notts Royal Even in the post-Covid climate, we should have got at least double for Olise

Yes probably but he had a year left on his contract, unlikely to sign another one and that 8 million can go towards keeping the academy running and paying wages for a season, (I know it won’t cover it all but it helps). But 3 graduates progressed into the first team properly last year. Olise, Tmac and Holmes. Olise has gone but we could afford to offer Tmac 3 years and are in negotiations with Holmes about an extension. Let’s say this year Tetek, Bristow and Azeez step up and we get another 8 million next year for one of them it is sustainable and utilising our academy. If we can build a team from graduates and supplement with the odd signing we will not get ourselves into this mess again.
We have been trying to spend our way to the premier league which you can not do within the confines of FFP this is the best most sustainable model to follow.
Our only mistake at the moment is not offering long enough contracts to youth products like Azeez, Bristow and Tetek if they are moving to the first team squad in the first few Months they should be tied to 3 year contracts so they don’t leave for nothing.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Jul 2021 14:49

linkenholtroyal

Yes probably but he had a year left on his contract, unlikely to sign another one and that 8 million can go towards keeping the academy running and paying wages for a season, (I know it won’t cover it all but it helps). But 3 graduates progressed into the first team properly last year. Olise, Tmac and Holmes. Olise has gone but we could afford to offer Tmac 3 years and are in negotiations with Holmes about an extension. Let’s say this year Tetek, Bristow and Azeez step up and we get another 8 million next year for one of them it is sustainable and utilising our academy. If we can build a team from graduates and supplement with the odd signing we will not get ourselves into this mess again.
We have been trying to spend our way to the premier league which you can not do within the confines of FFP this is the best most sustainable model to follow.
Our only mistake at the moment is not offering long enough contracts to youth products like Azeez, Bristow and Tetek if they are moving to the first team squad in the first few Months they should be tied to 3 year contracts so they don’t leave for nothing.

It's a balance though isn't it - we have offered longer deals to players who have gone on to do nothing in regards to first team football here and then just been released - East being one I think a lot of us thought would be better than he was.

Players like Azeez are still a bit of a gamble - I think the highest level he has played "mens" football at is National League South a couple of years back and he played 8 games at Wealdstone without scoring - though he scored for them in the Middlesex Senior Cup.

My hope is that, as said elsewhere, this is a deal that includes a trigger to extend so that if he does well and attracts interest we can trigger than and get a fee if he wants to go - similar to Nevers - we triggered another year as per his contract then sold him.

By doing so means, if he bombs or takes time to settle to first team action we can make a proper call later but if he stars or does better than hoped, we have a mechanism to tie him down longer or get a fee.