Rumour - Kyle Edwards

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rumour - Kyle Edwards

by Hound » 28 Jul 2021 15:04

Yeah that pretty much. Explained it better than I could be arsed to do

Can’t really go handing out 3 year deals to any u23 who looks ok in a 1st team game once or twice - or you get a Smith/East/Watson hanging around for 3 years

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 28 Jul 2021 17:26

Hound Yeah that pretty much. Explained it better than I could be arsed to do

Can’t really go handing out 3 year deals to any u23 who looks ok in a 1st team game once or twice - or you get a Smith/East/Watson hanging around for 3 years

Damned if you do and damned if you don't. I personally think there was nothing wrong with Olise's clause at the point we offered it; he was barely 17 and had minimal first team experience. And then by the time he was proving his talent we weren't in a position to offer a bumper deal to remove it.

Richards is less understandable given that he was our only senior left back going into last season

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 28 Jul 2021 19:45

Notts Royal Even in the post-Covid climate, we should have got at least double for Olise

Not when his buy out Clause is set

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Jul 2021 20:54

WestYorksRoyal

Damned if you do and damned if you don't. I personally think there was nothing wrong with Olise's clause at the point we offered it; he was barely 17 and had minimal first team experience. And then by the time he was proving his talent we weren't in a position to offer a bumper deal to remove it.

Richards is less understandable given that he was our only senior left back going into last season

Richards was a tough one. Bang average the season before and no real sign he was suddenly going to turn into a superstar

Then by October it was clear he had improved massively and he had all the cards

But yeah we definitely should have done something a lot quicker when he started performing. Rumours were he was keen initially but we were slow to get an offer to him

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 29 Jul 2021 09:05

Hound
WestYorksRoyal

Richards was a tough one. Bang average the season before and no real sign he was suddenly going to turn into a superstar

But yeah we definitely should have done something a lot quicker when he started performing. Rumours were he was keen initially but we were slow to get an offer to him

I’d disagree. On the games I saw, he had improved considerably in 19/20 and was generally 1st choice over the other 2 left backs at the time. Was still some way off his level last season, but should’ve been tied down during 19/20. Young, English full back…should’ve been tied down

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Jul 2021 09:13

Notts Royal
Hound
WestYorksRoyal Damned if you do and damned if you don't. I personally think there was nothing wrong with Olise's clause at the point we offered it; he was barely 17 and had minimal first team experience. And then by the time he was proving his talent we weren't in a position to offer a bumper deal to remove it.

I’d disagree. On the games I saw, he had improved considerably in 19/20 and was generally 1st choice over the other 2 left backs at the time. Was still some way off his level last season, but should’ve been tied down during 19/20. Young, English full back…should’ve been tied down

I think your memory might be a bit off on that one.

2019/20 LB appearances:

Obita - 14+7
Blackett - 16+4
Richards - 23+5

So while he certainly made more appearances than the other two, it wasn't by loads and I don't think he would've been considered first choice throughout the season.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 29 Jul 2021 09:18

Hendo
Notts Royal
Hound

2019/20 LB appearances:

Obita - 14+7
Blackett - 16+4
Richards - 23+5

So while he certainly made more appearances than the other two, it wasn't by loads and I don't think he would've been considered first choice throughout the season.

I personally would still take Obita back atleast he was a professional in all aspects

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 29 Jul 2021 09:33

Hendo
Notts Royal
Hound

2019/20 LB appearances:

Obita - 14+7
Blackett - 16+4
Richards - 23+5

That’s why I said “generally”…I was aware he hadn’t played considerably more than the others, and the games I’d witnessed he tended to be in the team. He was considerably better than Obita, marginally better than Blackett. Better going forwards, still needed work on his defensive game. But certainly worth extending the contract, with the other 2 coming to the end of theirs at the time. I’m not saying he was excellent, but personally thought he had improved a lot on the previous season

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jul 2021 10:08

obviously anecdotal, and happy to be proven wrong, but I certainly don't remember there being any clamour for him to get a new contract end of that season. The general feel was he had been a bit disappointing - really to miss so many games to a half crocked Obita and a disinterested Blackett wasn't a great sign

He really did make a massive jump last year, and I don't think any of us saw it coming really

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 29 Jul 2021 10:18

Notts Royal
Hendo
Notts Royal

2019/20 LB appearances:

Obita - 14+7
Blackett - 16+4
Richards - 23+5

That’s why I said “generally”…I was aware he hadn’t played considerably more than the others, and the games I’d witnessed he tended to be in the team. He was considerably better than Obita, marginally better than Blackett. Better going forwards, still needed work on his defensive game. But certainly worth extending the contract, with the other 2 coming to the end of theirs at the time. I’m not saying he was excellent, but personally thought he had improved a lot on the previous season

Worth noting too that of his 23 starts , 11 of them were the first 11 games of that season under Gomes.

Pretty much the first thing Bowen did was drop him for Obita and subsequently Blackett.

I remember the post Covid restart when he had in my view his best game in a Reading shirt at Derby and Bowen subsequently dropped him for the next half a dozen games or so and he only resurfaced for the last two games when it was clear Blackett and Obita would be leaving.

In 19/20; If you're the club , why would you offer a substantial deal to the manager's 3rd choice Left Back in the wake of the Covid fall-out? And even if you did, why would you accept that deal if you're Richards when it's clear that manager doesn't particularly rate you?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but Paunovic's Omar Richards was a vastly different one to the Omar Richards that went before.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Jul 2021 10:19

Vision
Notts Royal
Hendo

2019/20 LB appearances:

Obita - 14+7
Blackett - 16+4
Richards - 23+5

Worth noting too that of his 23 starts , 11 of them were the first 11 games of that season under Gomes.

Pretty much the first thing Bowen did was drop him for Obita and subsequently Blackett.

I remember the post Covid restart when he had in my view his best game in a Reading shirt at Derby and Bowen subsequently dropped him for the next half a dozen games or so and he only resurfaced for the last two games when it was clear Blackett and Obita would be leaving.

In 19/20; If you're the club , why would you offer a substantial deal to the manager's 3rd choice Left Back in the wake of the Covid fall-out? And even if you did, why would you accept that deal if you're Richards when it's clear that manager doesn't particularly rate you?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but Paunovic's Omar Richards was a vastly different one to the Omar Richards that went before.

+1. Spot on.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 29 Jul 2021 10:26

It was an unexpected rise, I wouldn't be surprised if Richards started last season wondering if come the end of the season he might be released by Reading, not signing for Bayern.

Chairman Mao
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Chairman Mao » 29 Jul 2021 11:03

didnt rate him

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 29 Jul 2021 11:55

Also probably worth noting that we could barely afford to give new contracts out at end of this season - So mid season bumper deals were probably not really on the cards. Richards obviously knew this - plus when bigger teams came knocking, why commit to Reading.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jul 2021 12:46

Coppells Lost Coat Also probably worth noting that we could barely afford to give new contracts out at end of this season - So mid season bumper deals were probably not really on the cards. Richards obviously knew this - plus when bigger teams came knocking, why commit to Reading.

Yep this as well

We’ve just about scraped together an acceptable contract for McIntyre who even went ooc before we got him to sign. Likely good will and his local background got that over the line. We haven’t got new contracts out to Rino and Laurent who I don’t believe for one minute we aren’t desperate to extend

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 29 Jul 2021 15:48

Agree to disagree then haha…the beauty of football comes in the opinions!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jul 2021 17:40

Hendo
Notts Royal
Hound

2019/20 LB appearances:

Obita - 14+7
Blackett - 16+4
Richards - 23+5

It's certainly not my recollection of the prevailing opinion

Didn't we supposedly offer Blackett a contract as well, which would suggest he really wasn't in Bowen's firm plans even at that stage.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Jul 2021 19:55

I thought Blackett got a whiff of a move to Turkey, wasn't interested in negotiating terms with us so the club played hardball when the move didnt materialise.

Hea then got his dream move to Premier League bound Nottingham Forest.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Jul 2021 08:42

Hendo
Vision
Notts Royal

+1. Spot on.

Yep a pretty fair summary for me - at the end of 19/20 the general feeling I recall around contracts were more about getting new ones for Osho and to a lesser extent Obita (that was mixed due to injury records) - nobody would have seen us being in a position whereby Richards would be wanted by one of the biggest clubs in the world.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 09 Aug 2021 13:39

https://mobile.twitter.com/IpswichTown/ ... 9744386048

Gone to Ipswich (who have already signed about a dozen new players this summer - lucky them!)