791 posts
SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: George Puscas leaving?

by SouthDownsRoyal » 14 Aug 2022 13:25

Royal_jimmy
YorkshireRoyal99
Coppells Lost Coat So twitter reports that we have put a price on his head. Sale of 2.5m euros. Its not crazy money in real terms, but for the level of the teams after him its a marquee signing. Just to rub salt in the wounds, reported that he doesn't want to lose out on his £900,000 a year salary either.

So that will be him loaned out in the next 2 seasons then until his contract is up as he wont take a pay cut.

I can only think of clubs like Cagliari in Serie B would be able to match both price and wage demands. Hopefully, if he does go out on loan it means someone can subsidise a large chunk of his wages meaning we can at least bring someone else in.

No disrespect to Puscas but he's achieved nothing in his career so he can't complain about being worse off on wages

He has a national stadium named after him

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 15 Aug 2022 00:13

Sutekh Shame Nicky Hammond’s not still here, he’d have persuaded Puscas to move by now and probably also have persuaded another club to take Liam Moore, injury and all.

An injured Liam Moore on his money might be stretching it but it’s a very interesting point about the fact that recruiting players the manager/Head Coach ( that differential is a whole other thread ) isn’t the only role of a DOF , but moving on players in order to create the “group” a manager/ head coach wants us equally as important.

It’s why I have reservations about Bowen . I’m encouraged by what he said at the fans forum about recruitment being driven by the manager/head coach’s wants but that wasn’t what happened last time he had this role.

Gomes wanted a tight young squad ( with Nelson Oliveira as his main transfer target ) with the likes of Gunter , McLeary and Baldock moved on. Pretty much the first two signings made were Morrison and Charlie Adam and none of the above mentioned 3 went anywhere which meant we couldn’t afford Oliveira who ended up leaving Norwich on a free to Greece .

May just be coincidence but the fact that all 3 of Baldock , Gunter and McLeary were instantly restored to the team when Bowen took over suggests he never wanted them to leave .

None of this is to suggest I believe Gomes was ever going to be good enough to deliver the promotion or even close to it that the owners craved but the recruitment under Bowen’s previous DOF period clearly wasn’t based on that manager/head coaches wishes.

Thankfully Ince ( and Rae ) seem to be on the same wavelength as Bowen so fingers crossed this will be a more symbiotic working relationship .

Fact still remains though that shifting Puscas should’ve been a major priority for Bowen all summer .

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Aug 2022 07:46

Right Georgie; thanks for your effort here and good luck for the future, but can you kindly do one today please?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Aug 2022 08:06

Vision
Sutekh Shame Nicky Hammond’s not still here, he’d have persuaded Puscas to move by now and probably also have persuaded another club to take Liam Moore, injury and all.

An injured Liam Moore on his money might be stretching it but it’s a very interesting point about the fact that recruiting players the manager/Head Coach ( that differential is a whole other thread ) isn’t the only role of a DOF , but moving on players in order to create the “group” a manager/ head coach wants us equally as important.

It’s why I have reservations about Bowen . I’m encouraged by what he said at the fans forum about recruitment being driven by the manager/head coach’s wants but that wasn’t what happened last time he had this role.

Gomes wanted a tight young squad ( with Nelson Oliveira as his main transfer target ) with the likes of Gunter , McLeary and Baldock moved on. Pretty much the first two signings made were Morrison and Charlie Adam and none of the above mentioned 3 went anywhere which meant we couldn’t afford Oliveira who ended up leaving Norwich on a free to Greece .

May just be coincidence but the fact that all 3 of Baldock , Gunter and McLeary were instantly restored to the team when Bowen took over suggests he never wanted them to leave .

None of this is to suggest I believe Gomes was ever going to be good enough to deliver the promotion or even close to it that the owners craved but the recruitment under Bowen’s previous DOF period clearly wasn’t based on that manager/head coaches wishes.

Thankfully Ince ( and Rae ) seem to be on the same wavelength as Bowen so fingers crossed this will be a more symbiotic working relationship .

Fact still remains though that shifting Puscas should’ve been a major priority for Bowen all summer .

It pretty obviously has been, given we've had repeated interest from multiple Italian sides.

It should also be remembered that Bowen prioritised offloading Moore before he was unceremoniously dumped. So there he was ahead of the game on trying to manage exits from the squad whilst manager.

Morrison is one of the best signings we made in recent years. Along with Laurent. We know Bowen had a solid hand in both of those

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 15 Aug 2022 08:49

Royal_jimmy
YorkshireRoyal99
Coppells Lost Coat So twitter reports that we have put a price on his head. Sale of 2.5m euros. Its not crazy money in real terms, but for the level of the teams after him its a marquee signing. Just to rub salt in the wounds, reported that he doesn't want to lose out on his £900,000 a year salary either.

So that will be him loaned out in the next 2 seasons then until his contract is up as he wont take a pay cut.

I can only think of clubs like Cagliari in Serie B would be able to match both price and wage demands. Hopefully, if he does go out on loan it means someone can subsidise a large chunk of his wages meaning we can at least bring someone else in.

No disrespect to Puscas but he's achieved nothing in his career so he can't complain about being worse off on wages

Until his contract expires, thats the money he is entitled to whether he deserves it or not. Would you move jobs on 40% less that you are on?

Best we can get in this window is a loan deal, hopefully with an obligation to buy and a small loan fee.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 15 Aug 2022 09:09

Snowflake Royal
Vision

It pretty obviously has been, given we've had repeated interest from multiple Italian sides.

It should also be remembered that Bowen prioritised offloading Moore before he was unceremoniously dumped. So there he was ahead of the game on trying to manage exits from the squad whilst manager.

Morrison is one of the best signings we made in recent years. Along with Laurent. We know Bowen had a solid hand in both of those

Interesting comment about Bowen being dumped.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 15 Aug 2022 15:33

Snowflake Royal
Vision

He prioritised offloading Moore when he was the manager, so that was management driven which is the point I'm making . Morrison and Adam didn't exactly fit what Gomes had asked for. Tbf it might well be Bowen thought Gomes didn't have a clue and he probably did us a big favour by not fulfilling his wishes but the fact still remains that when the budget was tight (before Dai sold the stadium and we picked up Joao, Puscas et al ) we desperately needed to offload at least one of Gunter, McLeary and Baldock to help finance the manager's wishes.

Obviously you can't put a gun to a player's head and force them to move but there are definitely echoes this summer of that one I mentioned but as I said I'm at least encouraged by the fact that unlike then it appears Ince and Bowen appear to be on the same page wrt to player recruitment..

Despite that we still have the situation whereby we have a player the manager desperately wants and who wants to play for us but can't because we still have another player on our books despite apparently having alot of interest and several bids put in for him.

It's a tough job for sure, particularly given our current situation with the EFL but it brings me back to my original point that it's the job of a good DOF, much like a good manager, to make the best of the hand they've been dealt.

I'm quietly encouraged by what I'm seeing and hearing this time around from Bowen particularly in terms of the the off field structure and appointments. I'm just hopeful that this particular priority can be resolved sooner rather than later because it's currently hurting us.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 15 Aug 2022 16:32

Wasn't Puscas brought in by Bowen?
Time is ticking and I should imagine Sarr is getting fed up with the delays.. The Puscas saga needs urgent resolution. It had proved to be a very poor signing

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 15 Aug 2022 17:40

Zip Wasn't Puscas brought in by Bowen?
Time is ticking and I should imagine Sarr is getting fed up with the delays.. The Puscas saga needs urgent resolution. It had proved to be a very poor signing

Agree, it’ll be just our luck that he injures himself in training.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Aug 2022 17:53

Vision
Snowflake Royal
Vision

He prioritised offloading Moore when he was the manager, so that was management driven which is the point I'm making . Morrison and Adam didn't exactly fit what Gomes had asked for. Tbf it might well be Bowen thought Gomes didn't have a clue and he probably did us a big favour by not fulfilling his wishes but the fact still remains that when the budget was tight (before Dai sold the stadium and we picked up Joao, Puscas et al ) we desperately needed to offload at least one of Gunter, McLeary and Baldock to help finance the manager's wishes.

Obviously you can't put a gun to a player's head and force them to move but there are definitely echoes this summer of that one I mentioned but as I said I'm at least encouraged by the fact that unlike then it appears Ince and Bowen appear to be on the same page wrt to player recruitment..

Despite that we still have the situation whereby we have a player the manager desperately wants and who wants to play for us but can't because we still have another player on our books despite apparently having alot of interest and several bids put in for him.

It's a tough job for sure, particularly given our current situation with the EFL but it brings me back to my original point that it's the job of a good DOF, much like a good manager, to make the best of the hand they've been dealt.

I'm quietly encouraged by what I'm seeing and hearing this time around from Bowen particularly in terms of the the off field structure and appointments. I'm just hopeful that this particular priority can be resolved sooner rather than later because it's currently hurting us.

I think the approach to trying to shift, at least, Puscas is quite different to the approach Gomes used for Baldock, Gunter and McCleary. He basically just said you're not wanted, find yourself a new club and you can rot in the Unders until you do. And they went, we'll wait you out on our nice salaries thanks.

Conversely, there's been nothing public like that for Puscas, and we seem to have at least been engaging with other clubs. Whether deals falling through has been down to us or him is open to debate.

Moore obviously has a lot more baggage and complicating factors to compare.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 15 Aug 2022 18:01

Puscas was brought in when Bowen was sporting director. Puscas wasn’t brought in by Bowen. He didn’t want him.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/mark- ... uscas/amp/

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 15 Aug 2022 18:16

Brogue

Puscas was brought in when Bowen was sporting director. Puscas wasn’t brought in by Bowen. He didn’t want him.

Fair enough

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 15 Aug 2022 19:02

blythspartan

Agree, it’ll be just our luck that he injures himself in training.

And one of our few remaining fit players in the process.

Will the EFL not even allow us to pay some of his wages whilst out on loan? Should still leave enough for Sarr and a saving.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 15 Aug 2022 19:04

Brogue

Great - a Sporting Director who didn't direct and wasn't prepared to walk if his opinions and advice were ignored (although he doesn't state clearly in the article that he didn't want him).

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 15 Aug 2022 22:37

Snowflake Royal
Vision
Snowflake Royal It pretty obviously has been, given we've had repeated interest from multiple Italian sides.

I think the approach to trying to shift, at least, Puscas is quite different to the approach Gomes used for Baldock, Gunter and McCleary. He basically just said you're not wanted, find yourself a new club and you can rot in the Unders until you do. And they went, we'll wait you out on our nice salaries thanks.

Conversely, there's been nothing public like that for Puscas, and we seem to have at least been engaging with other clubs. Whether deals falling through has been down to us or him is open to debate.

Or maybe someone high up at the club told them to hold fire because Gomes wouldn’t last long. Just seems odd to me that about 10 games into the season all 3 suddenly appear for the bloke who was charged with the job of moving them on.

Tbf to Baldock at least he answered the SOS to go on the pre-season tour when we were desperate for bodies so he just wanted to play .

But the wider point really comes down to how much say any manager has had in terms of recruitment since Dai came on the scene.

In reality probably only Clement and even then only because he had Gourlay’s ear.

Hopefully that’s changing now .

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Aug 2022 15:54

Tutto Mercato Web in Italy, reporting that he'll be signing for Como this week. Fingers crossed.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Aug 2022 16:05

Stranded Tutto Mercato Web in Italy, reporting that he'll be signing for Como this week. Fingers crossed.

Hopefully true though of course we heard this last week

…or was it the week before?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 16 Aug 2022 16:20

Vision
Snowflake Royal
Vision

Or maybe someone high up at the club told them to hold fire because Gomes wouldn’t last long. Just seems odd to me that about 10 games into the season all 3 suddenly appear for the bloke who was charged with the job of moving them on.

Tbf to Baldock at least he answered the SOS to go on the pre-season tour when we were desperate for bodies so he just wanted to play .

But the wider point really comes down to how much say any manager has had in terms of recruitment since Dai came on the scene.

In reality probably only Clement and even then only because he had Gourlay’s ear.

Hopefully that’s changing now .

The fact that Nigel walked of his own accord out of the club. Tells you everything you need to know about being an employee of Dai. Sometimes you need to protect your personal reputation.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 16 Aug 2022 17:26

Reporting on Twitter that negotiations with us are complete over a permanent transfer to Como and Puscas has agreed personal terms

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Aug 2022 17:35

791 posts