791 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: George Puscas leaving?

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Nov 2021 19:18

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
Popa can't be far off - stunk the place out for years, by all accounts had a poor attitude and in general was just an awful footballer, bemused as to why people thought he should have been given a run in the first team

Comparative peanuts.

Was on high wages IIRC, didn’t he come from a team in the CL?

A Romanian team iirc. So a lower paying league than the Championship

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Nov 2021 19:20

WestYorksRoyal Weren't we also looking at Oliveira when we signed Aluko? I'm not sure we was worth £7.5m either, but would have been worth a hell of a lot more than Aluko for sure.

Not sure Oliveira was all that. Injury prone, greedy, and a fairly mediocre scoring record in the Champ in the four seasons he was here

Obviously would have been a better fit than Aluko as we were fairly light up top and a bit more depth out wide but still not sure he’d have been a great use of £7.5 million. You have to question why Farke was so eager to ship him out too

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Nov 2021 19:35

Zip
From Despair To Where? Worse than Colin Gordon, Francis Joseph and Paul Franklin to replace Trevor Senior, Kevin Bremner and Steve Wood?

Hell yes. Look at how many millions were wasted in fees and wages.

I was thinking more that on the back of our best ever league season, we sold the backbone of the team and replaced them with 3 donkeys.

We then replaced the 3 donkeys with 3 players costing a combined total over £600,000 when our record transfer fee was £82,000 and got relegated despite winning a cup with none of the original 3 playing and two of their big money replacements cup tied.

Franklin, Joseph, Gordon and Moran were released on frees and Whitehurst was sold on the cheap after being caught up to no good in the toilets of a Hartlepool nightclub with a girl of undetermined age.

I'd say it was a shit transfer year which ushered in 3 years that make our current predicament look like a walk in the park.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Nov 2021 20:17

From Despair To Where?
Zip
From Despair To Where? Worse than Colin Gordon, Francis Joseph and Paul Franklin to replace Trevor Senior, Kevin Bremner and Steve Wood?

Hell yes. Look at how many millions were wasted in fees and wages.

I was thinking more that on the back of our best ever league season, we sold the backbone of the team and replaced them with 3 donkeys.

We then replaced the 3 donkeys with 3 players costing a combined total over £600,000 when our record transfer fee was £82,000 and got relegated despite winning a cup with none of the original 3 playing and two of their big money replacements cup tied.

Franklin, Joseph, Gordon and Moran were released on frees and Whitehurst was sold on the cheap after being caught up to no good in the toilets of a Hartlepool nightclub with a girl of undetermined age.

I'd say it was a shit transfer year which ushered in 3 years that make our current predicament look like a walk in the park.

I remember it. Moran and Whitehurst didn’t play at all in the Simod Cup and if I remember didn’t Micky Tait end up playing upfront? Back in those days we always struggled in the few seasons we enjoyed in the second tier so it was no surprise when we went down and I was there for the 0-0 home draw that saw us relegated.

However 2017 was hugely damaging and played a major part in where we are now ....about to receive a points deduction which could be very painful. Getting relegated (or missing out on the play offs) because of the points deduction would be far more painful now than back then. Expectations are much higher these days.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Nov 2021 22:58

Hound
URZZZZ
Hound
Come off it? He was ok for Fulham, not very good as stated and stated at the time.

actually note my first comment on the first page:

Strikes me as one of those players who looks better than he actually is. Thought he was poor in the play off games

about right I reckon

Apologies. Just think there’s a bit of hindsight bias going on from some people but didn’t see your original comment

Would still maintain at the time he was a decent Champ player but only in the right framework (I.e. not us then). Personally feel he got too much flak for what was more a management transfer policy problem, rather than the player himself

Was just a poor move all round for everyone except his agent/bank balance. He seemed to fit in very well with the Fulham system with the overlapping fullback being very prominent (Fredericks from memory) but was obvious pretty quickly that he wouldnt be a good fit here in a much more defensive system

but yes of course some hindsight going on. He had ability no doubts.

Fredericks and Aluko caused Obita so many problems when they thrashed us 5-0 (and Fredericks on Obita the season before), thought he was a very good champ RB

For how inflexible and stubborn Stam generally was, he got his tactics spot on past that drubbing against Fulham, particularly the two playoff games, completely nullified their strong midfield with the high press man to man marking. Just a shame those tactics were an exception to the norm

Said it before but Gunter and Aluko were an awful combo, they simply had no cohesion together, offensively or defensively

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Nov 2021 07:15

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
Popa can't be far off - stunk the place out for years, by all accounts had a poor attitude and in general was just an awful footballer, bemused as to why people thought he should have been given a run in the first team

Comparative peanuts.

Was on high wages IIRC, didn’t he come from a team in the CL?

He arrived in January 2017 from Fotball Club FCSB - which may or may not be the club that was Steaua Bucharest (don’t think even the Romanians are entirely sure as despite UEFA awarding the history of Steaua to FCSB the Romanian courts have ruled it’s CSA Steaua Bucuresti and that argument is still going on). At the time FCSB were on a run of 4 consecutive runners up finishes in the Romanian league which presumably would have qualified them for at least a qualification game in that season’s CL. Out of interest he is now 33 and playing for the aforementioned CSA Steaua Bucuresti in Liga II in Romania.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 13 Nov 2021 10:28

Re aluko he didn’t cost 7.5 mill. I remember Nigel Howe doing a radio interview and he categorically said we paid no where near that. The reports were false. I suspect the deal maybe have been close to that with add ins maybe, like promotion.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Nov 2021 09:07

URZZZZ
Hound
URZZZZ
Apologies. Just think there’s a bit of hindsight bias going on from some people but didn’t see your original comment

Would still maintain at the time he was a decent Champ player but only in the right framework (I.e. not us then). Personally feel he got too much flak for what was more a management transfer policy problem, rather than the player himself

Was just a poor move all round for everyone except his agent/bank balance. He seemed to fit in very well with the Fulham system with the overlapping fullback being very prominent (Fredericks from memory) but was obvious pretty quickly that he wouldnt be a good fit here in a much more defensive system

Fredericks and Aluko caused Obita so many problems when they thrashed us 5-0 (and Fredericks on Obita the season before), thought he was a very good champ RB

For how inflexible and stubborn Stam generally was, he got his tactics spot on past that drubbing against Fulham, particularly the two playoff games, completely nullified their strong midfield with the high press man to man marking. Just a shame those tactics were an exception to the norm

Said it before but Gunter and Aluko were an awful combo, they simply had no cohesion together, offensively or defensively

Yep - those PO semis the highlight of Stam's managerial career I should imagine.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Nov 2021 09:07

Brogue Re aluko he didn’t cost 7.5 mill. I remember Nigel Howe doing a radio interview and he categorically said we paid no where near that. The reports were false. I suspect the deal maybe have been close to that with add ins maybe, like promotion.

and actually if we really did pull in a 3m loan fee for him....

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Nov 2021 17:32

Brogue Re aluko he didn’t cost 7.5 mill. I remember Nigel Howe doing a radio interview and he categorically said we paid no where near that. The reports were false. I suspect the deal maybe have been close to that with add ins maybe, like promotion.

Same can be said about virtually every transfer, which is what he'd be compared against

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 15 Nov 2021 18:03

But I also remember a Fulham exec saying that they initially rebuffed our approaches, but we just kept coming back higher and higher until they couldn't say no.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 15 Nov 2021 18:10

as with everything you take what each side says and you end up somewhere in the middle. there is no way even under Gourlay that we paid 7.5 million upfront. And I'm not disputing the fact that he was a waste of money by the way :D

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Nov 2021 00:18

Brogue as with everything you take what each side says and you end up somewhere in the middle. there is no way even under Gourlay that we paid 7.5 million upfront. And I'm not disputing the fact that he was a waste of money by the way :D

No one said it was upfront.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 16 Nov 2021 00:25

Hound
URZZZZ
Hound
Come off it? He was ok for Fulham, not very good as stated and stated at the time.

actually note my first comment on the first page:

Strikes me as one of those players who looks better than he actually is. Thought he was poor in the play off games

about right I reckon

Don't think there is any hindsight going on really. I remember thinking at the time he was completely the wrong signing and I think the sentiment on here was the same. He seemed a very hot and cold player even in a Fulham team that suited his style and quite often flattered to deceive even there. Remember he looked blunt in those PO games just before we signed him.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Nov 2021 08:53

Jagermesiter1871
Hound
URZZZZ

Don't think there is any hindsight going on really. I remember thinking at the time he was completely the wrong signing and I think the sentiment on here was the same. He seemed a very hot and cold player even in a Fulham team that suited his style and quite often flattered to deceive even there. Remember he looked blunt in those PO games just before we signed him.

If you have a look in the thread FDTW brought up, then you'll see there is plenty of hindsight going on :) Quite a few were pretty excited about him coming along

It was balanced by a number of us questioning it mind you

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 16 Nov 2021 10:10

There did seem to be a bit of muted optimism about the signing until the rumoured £7.5m came out and lots more people shifted to WTAF.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Nov 2021 11:00

Hound
Jagermesiter1871
Hound

If you have a look in the thread FDTW brought up, then you'll see there is plenty of hindsight going on :) Quite a few were pretty excited about him coming along

It was balanced by a number of us questioning it mind you

I was surprised how positive I was in my first post.

Although that positivity amounted to we didn’t need him, it was overly expensive, he flatters to deceive, but it might piss off Fulham.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 Nov 2021 12:17

Jagermesiter1871
Hound
URZZZZ

He seemed a very hot and cold player even in a Fulham team that suited his style and quite often flattered to deceive even there.

Sorta agree but wouldn’t you say that’s true for almost all soft attacking midfielders/forwards? Certainly at Champ level

Think that was half the problem though with that squad, with the likes of Aluko, Barrow, Bacuna, Kelly and Swift, we were too powderpuff with a lack of variety. Wasn’t Williams’ biggest fan and obviously JVDB wasn’t particularly popular here but both offered balance and steel

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 17 Jan 2022 18:53

Anderlecht apparently interested in a loan-to-buy move.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 17 Jan 2022 20:23

Pepe the Horseman Anderlecht apparently interested in a loan-to-buy move.

If they’re picking up the wages then yes please

791 posts