January Window

401 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: January Window

by Hound » 06 Jan 2022 13:56

YorkshireRoyal99 Depends how willing Watford are with Rose really. TDB's wages won't be that high, so we are probably paying most of those but I can imagine Rose's will be £50k, or around that area. If we can only offer about £7k (or whatever our limit is per player) would they take a hit on that? I'm not so sure.

Yeah Bristol City have been stung pretty badly for Palmer. If he was a free agent this summer and would agree to a wage that we could offer, yes I'd take him as he'd be a good option for us and I'm sure he would be willing to play football. He's a decent player and I would take him, just maybe not in this situation.

Just not sure he is that good. Seems to be still have some sort of reputation for a decent loan back at Huddersfield many many years ago. Seems to have done nothing of any note since

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 06 Jan 2022 14:13

Seem to remember Palmer having a purple patch spell a couple of seasons ago but his promising youth career carried him. But a few people said the same about Baker, got around with a good reputation with out being that special, then looked pretty good with us....what is he doing these days?

I would prefer not to have Rose, dont need what I can only assume as an disruptive player in the ranks right now, by the sounds of it he has fallen out with every manager he has had.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Jan 2022 14:47

Coppells Lost Coat Seem to remember Palmer having a purple patch spell a couple of seasons ago but his promising youth career carried him. But a few people said the same about Baker, got around with a good reputation with out being that special, then looked pretty good with us....what is he doing these days?

Back at Chelsea - he was actually going to get a game for them but he then caught covid

ooc at the end of the year I believe. Definitely a similar case, though think Baker has had some ok loans abroad in Turkey (?) - its probably really just finding a club and system that works to bring out the best in them

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 06 Jan 2022 15:02

I actually wouldn't mind bringing Baker in as a Swift replacement even if they aren't exactly the same. Technically a good player, good set piece delivery and strike and would probably be a good fit.

Kasey Palmer and Lewis Baker for John Swift, for me, would be a good deal, even if the former two were just loans and then potentially permanent deals. Practically though, I can't see that happening anyway.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 06 Jan 2022 18:45

tidus_mi2
YorkshireRoyal99 His wages must be sky high surely? If we can agree to get him in for the rest of the season without paying a penny then yes, if not then I wouldn't bother.

Yeah, had the same thoughts but we managed to get Drinkwater and Rahman in despite their wages so who knows?

But that's because their parent club is still paying a proportion of their contract (quite possibly a substantial proportion)
Don't see Watford being so generous

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Jan 2022 15:07

Franchise FC
tidus_mi2
YorkshireRoyal99 His wages must be sky high surely? If we can agree to get him in for the rest of the season without paying a penny then yes, if not then I wouldn't bother.

Yeah, had the same thoughts but we managed to get Drinkwater and Rahman in despite their wages so who knows?

But that's because their parent club is still paying a proportion of their contract (quite possibly a substantial proportion)

If they desparately want rid of Rose and the only option is a loan to get him in the shop window, rather than him sitting around playing the odd u23 game, you could be surprised.

Anyway, any loan for a player like Rose wouldn't happen until the end of the month - given it is possible Rahman could even be back for the Huddersfield game on the 22nd if Ghana have a terrible tournament, hardly seems a worthwhile move as Rose would expect to play.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jan 2022 15:28

reckon we'll just make do. Maybe sign that ex Cov player on a short term til end of season.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 07 Jan 2022 15:53

Stranded
Franchise FC
tidus_mi2 Yeah, had the same thoughts but we managed to get Drinkwater and Rahman in despite their wages so who knows?

If they desparately want rid of Rose and the only option is a loan to get him in the shop window, rather than him sitting around playing the odd u23 game, you could be surprised.

Anyway, any loan for a player like Rose wouldn't happen until the end of the month - given it is possible Rahman could even be back for the Huddersfield game on the 22nd if Ghana have a terrible tournament, hardly seems a worthwhile move as Rose would expect to play.

Fair point, probably accurate too considering the ex-Coventry player rumour seems to have legs. Based on his history he should at least be League One quality so not a horrible stop-gap job until Rahman returns and he's only 24 so there's maybe potential for him to still improve a little bit.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 07 Jan 2022 15:58

I'd get Brandon Mason on until the end of the season. At least it provides competition in that area as well as cover when necessary. A bit of Championship experience can't hurt either and a more established professional, seems like a sensible deal. Can't imagine he will be a world beater but if can do a job until the end of the season and possibly the end of next season given our financial position, I'll make do with that.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 08 Jan 2022 17:48

Shane Long wants to leave Southampton in this transfer window. He is out of contract in summer but wants to go now and saints to agree to release him.

He has recently moved house….between Reading and M25, forgot the name of village.

Would imagine top end championship club will be paying attention. Wouldn’t rule out a Fulham move. He is clearly out of our wages structure sadly, but this is the position he currently finds himself in.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 08 Jan 2022 18:26

Wonder if he'd consider coming back here in the summer, for peanuts.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 08 Jan 2022 19:50

paultheroyal Shane Long wants to leave Southampton in this transfer window. He is out of contract in summer but wants to go now and saints to agree to release him.

He has recently moved house….between Reading and M25, forgot the name of village.

Would imagine top end championship club will be paying attention. Wouldn’t rule out a Fulham move. He is clearly out of our wages structure sadly, but this is the position he currently finds himself in.

He's come on in the FA Cup today and got a goal and an assist. Doubt he'll come to us, even if he does love shopping in the Oracle

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 10 Jan 2022 17:10

Cabral is off.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 Jan 2022 17:39

PATRIQT Cabral is off.

Loan or Sale? Inevitable after Saturday’s debacle. A sad finish to his time with us.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 10 Jan 2022 20:07

I think it was probably all sorted before Saturday more or less. It probably doesn't matter whether it's a loan or a transfer but would obviously prefer the latter providing we aren't having to subsidise any of his wages to the buying club.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Jan 2022 20:39

Yeah just get rid and get the wages off the books

Sad way to go as he was a good signing overall and seems a decent chap. Will remember him pretty fondly

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Jan 2022 08:00

Do we know Cabral is off or are people seeing Andressen and Holden coming back to the club and assuming that? Given the former had dropped to 3rd choice at Morecombe, it doesn't mean that the two are linked.

Best for all parties if he is of course, if we can get his alleged 18k a week off the books now rather than June that would be great and save us around 400k - which could then be used on a couple of short term deals/loans this month.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Jan 2022 09:06

I haven't seen anything concrete that he is leaving but I think it's safe to assume that's probably the way it's heading this month and it's only a matter of time before that happens as well.

As long as we aren't paying for any of his wages after he leaves, I'm happy with that. It would be a shame to see him go, he was outstanding a couple of seasons ago but fell off last season with some pretty big errors and this season he wasn't much different until he lost his place.

It's a shame to say that most of those signings that were made in that summer (Rafael, Puscas, Ejaria, Joao) haven't been all that successful other than arguably Joao for about 70% of last season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jan 2022 10:23

Think people's short term memory on Ejaria clouds judgement. He has been pretty toss this season granted, but was excellent for 2 years before that. The best objective source - whoscored - rates him as one of the top 20 players in the entire division in those years.

Certainly not a failure. In fact by that marker a huge success.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Jan 2022 10:32

In fairness it probably is a bit harsh to say he hasn't been a success, he just seems like his overall output should have been so much better than it is. I know stats isn't the be all and end all but I'd have thought it may have looked better than they actually are. But yeah fair point his performances were pretty good before this season really.

401 posts