New GK

541 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: New GK

by Stranded » 13 Jun 2022 12:59

Pepe the Horseman I know we need to give him a chance etc and fans are notoriously negative about players when they leave, but I haven't seen a single positive comment about him from Boro fans. Not even, solid shot stopper that's prone to an error. Just unanimously absolute shite.

Here you go :wink:

https://twitter.com/JoeJitsu2022/status ... wX55Mr3LGA

Also just read another that says - "Lumley is a perfectly serviceable mid-level championship keeper. However as any #Boro fan will tell you, he's got at least one rick a game in him hence the sale"

So hardly glowing but probably shows what he is - a mid-table Champ keeper who won't cut it for a team pushing for promotion but as the upper limit of our aspirations for this year is about 20th, he'll probably be fine.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 13 Jun 2022 13:17

Stranded
Pepe the Horseman I know we need to give him a chance etc and fans are notoriously negative about players when they leave, but I haven't seen a single positive comment about him from Boro fans. Not even, solid shot stopper that's prone to an error. Just unanimously absolute shite.

Also just read another that says - "Lumley is a perfectly serviceable mid-level championship keeper. However as any #Boro fan will tell you, he's got at least one rick a game in him hence the sale"

So hardly glowing but probably shows what he is - a mid-table Champ keeper who won't cut it for a team pushing for promotion but as the upper limit of our aspirations for this year is about 20th, he'll probably be fine.

https://twitter.com/lumleyfanclub?lang=en

Joe Lumley Fan Club
Account dedicated to the adopted Northerner and Best keeper in the championship Joe Lumley. Once Made Harry Kane Cry after a World Class performance.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 13 Jun 2022 13:20

13 clean sheets in the league last season, 8th highest in the league

Southwood was 39th, with 3.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 13 Jun 2022 13:27

Franchise FC
NathStPaul Rafael and Southwood were both far better than average to begin with. You are talking complete bollocks.

My recollection, particularly of Southwood, was that he was extremely popular (with the fans) and performing well. It’s almost as if the Derby mistake blew his confidence completely

Hull game started it I think, dreadful mistake which cost us a chance of winning. Problem was then it was a while before we played properly again with a number of games called off in that period so hard to regain confidence. A month later and he’d cost us the win against Derby, as well as making another blunder against Huddersfield, conceding 7 to Fulham and another 4 to QPR

As said elsewhere though, he was hung out to dry with Paunovic’s dreadful tactics

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 13 Jun 2022 14:33

Well it sounds like it's a done deal, so lets hope he's more Federici than Simon Sheppard.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 13 Jun 2022 15:16

PATRIQT Well it sounds like it's a done deal, so lets hope he's more Federici than Simon Sheppard.

+1 Now that we’re shopping in the local jumble sales let’s hope we can find some thrifty bargains.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 13 Jun 2022 15:25

Stranded

Don't want to harp on with my opinion but that ["upper limit of our aspirations... 20th"] is exactly why it's a terrible idea, unless we're resigned to being relegated. Such a team needs a GOOD keeper. At the very least what Rafael was before he lost his head and became a liability. Or what Southwood was before he lost his head and became a liability. Ditto Hein, ditto Nyland.

My protestations thus far above have been assuming he was at least just an average keeper like Rafael was. If he's already known to be a bit of a liability then **** me this is nothing short of a ridiculous move and I therefore agree with whomever it is in pages above, who says that it's an odd move to move on our own boy Southwood to bring in this chap.

I refuse to believe we wouldn't be able to get someone better than someone with an error in him every game. No chance. I hope Ince et al know what they're doing - relegation season coming up with the dodgiest defence in the league already and another error-prone keeper.

God help us.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 13 Jun 2022 15:34

It seems as if most of the opinions are that Lumley is actually better than Southwood, I just think it's more of a surprise that we are looking to (whether we will or not is different) move Southwood on as well as get a goalkeeper. I don't see why we don't just look to keep Southwood on for another year and then move him on and have both him and Lumley for this season.

It's just another spot we have to fill potentially with either CBC or Andresson, where neither have played in the Championship for us, or with another signing. I could understand if Southwood had significant value, but he doesn't. The absolute best we could ever wish for is a Championship club coming in with a seven figure fee for Southwood, which just isn't going to happen in my opinion.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 13 Jun 2022 15:42

Fair play to Boro's defence, only conceded 50 goals and this lad was apparently at fault for half of those.

Should win the league fairly comfortably next year if they can sign an average championship keeper

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 13 Jun 2022 16:05

I am not happy about this signing but what is everyone expecting? Some of the names I have seen banded around would be great but are unrealistic for where we’re right now. I still believe that one or two signings might be a pleasant surprise but Ince and co have to cobble a squad together with very little/if any money to spend.

I have got my season ticket and I just want to see a team full of commitment that leave nothing on the pitch at the end of each game. Honestly, I think we’ll be relegated but you never know in the Championship. At least in 23/24 we can start with a clean slate.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Jun 2022 16:11

genome 13 clean sheets in the league last season, 8th highest in the league

Southwood was 39th, with 3.

And saved more than twice as many shots a game.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Jun 2022 16:17

Millsy
Stranded

Don't want to harp on with my opinion but that ["upper limit of our aspirations... 20th"] is exactly why it's a terrible idea, unless we're resigned to being relegated. Such a team needs a GOOD keeper. At the very least what Rafael was before he lost his head and became a liability. Or what Southwood was before he lost his head and became a liability. Ditto Hein, ditto Nyland.

My protestations thus far above have been assuming he was at least just an average keeper like Rafael was. If he's already known to be a bit of a liability then **** me this is nothing short of a ridiculous move and I therefore agree with whomever it is in pages above, who says that it's an odd move to move on our own boy Southwood to bring in this chap.

I refuse to believe we wouldn't be able to get someone better than someone with an error in him every game. No chance. I hope Ince et al know what they're doing - relegation season coming up with the dodgiest defence in the league already and another error-prone keeper.

God help us.

Every keeper has an error in him every game - we need to figure out how to help him minimise those.

Looking at Boro last year, the keeper that came in for him at one point in the season and at the end, let in 16 in 12 compared to 34 in 34 and their record without him was worse than with him.

Again - you don't get to play 110 games at Championship level and be shit, you just don't. If he was that bad, he would have drifted down a level or 2 minimum now - he is 27, can still improve and has experience.

My only concern about the deal is that it looks to be a loan with, I guess, a plan to sign him for free next summer if all goes well. Uses up a loan slot we would better use elsewhere.

Plus no guarantee that Southwood actually leaves.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 13 Jun 2022 16:37

I think as its the first signing of the summer, it needed to be something a little more exciting than an average keeper, I understand thats where we are at and all. But come on.
Ince may see things different but replacing like for like is not what we need right now. Literally every area on the pitch needs at least one player more - except in the GK position. Yet here we are getting a new keeper.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 13 Jun 2022 16:49

We did need a new GK, whether we decided to keep Southwood or not, which it looks like we may not do, or he certainly won't be our number 1. I don't think signing Lumley is the issue, he's decent enough, but appreciate that it's quite underwhelming on the surface.

I think it says a lot about the goalkeeping situation over the last 12 months that we've been through 4 of them (before Ince was here, I know), Southwood was pretty swiftly deemed surplus to requirements and our first signing of the summer looks to be a goalkeeper.

Knowing Ince, sorting out a very important position would naturally be high on the priority list, although I didn't expect it to be the first, but again, I think it says more about how important this position is deemed to be at the club and it seems to be exactly the kind of thing Ince would want sorting out early on as well.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 13 Jun 2022 16:57

blythspartan I haven’t really been enamoured with any of the players we’ve been linked with so far but that’s the world we’re in at the moment. Will Lumley be our new avenger, who knows? It does appear that we might be taking a punt on younger players from lower league clubs and players surplus to requirements at other clubs. I am happy if that’s the way we want to proceed.

Yep. Released players often have a point to prove so free agents doesn't always=dross.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 13 Jun 2022 19:22

Southwood's ooc next summer. I guess if the club aren't looking to extend, it makes sense to move him now, especially if they see CBC as the option going forward

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 13 Jun 2022 22:51

Been told this is 95% done. Year long loan deal and he’s coming in as number 1

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Jun 2022 13:56

gazzer, loyal royal Been told this is 95% done. Year long loan deal and he’s coming in as number 1

Let’s hope he doesn’t play like Jo.

ReadingGlasses

by ReadingGlasses » 14 Jun 2022 15:11

It's a shame that the management have decided that it's better to replace Southwood rather than try and coach him in to being a better keeper. He had a great start when he first came in to the team, which shows that he is capable of it. What went wrong was probably then more mental than technical.

Maybe they've seen something in training which makes them think that it's not possible to turn things around and get Southwood playing well again.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 14 Jun 2022 15:29

It's probably his height and lack of ability to command the box, not a lot he can do to change that sadly. You can get away with it as a keeper in a really good side, you'll be protected. Sadly its likely we will be under the cosh a lot next season and I don't have faith in Southwood being up to it.

That said, Lumley isn't a big enough upgrade on Southwood. He has a height advantage but its only a real advantage if you can back it up with ability. Based on what I have seen he isn't going to be the answer, we should have held out a bit longer to see which keepers were available mid July imo.

541 posts